Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality Check for Hogs Vs. Crimson Tide

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 09, 2007, 05:48:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Catch Prothro

As a Bama fan, I will say that Arkansas v. Bama should be a typical hard-fought, close game.  We always hate going to Arkansas, and you guys always hate going to Bama.  I think Bama's biggest advantages (player and coach comparisons aside) are going to be home field and having already played two games, including an SEC game.  I honestly think these are huge advantages.  Bama's disadvantages include all these new schemes to learn. 

Naturally you guys got McFadden.  We got this young guy named Grant, and you may see some of him.  With Monk (and Cleveland) out, I think that makes it a bit easier on our defense to stop the run, which we will have to do.

Whoever said Arkansas has never won in Tuscaloosa is wrong.  I sat through the pouring rain in 2003 to watch Arkansas win in two overtimes.  I will be sitting again in the stands for this game.  Some differences in this Bama team and the team in 2003 include conditioning and attitude.  This Bama team playes like a team.  This Bama team plays to win.

So there I will be, sitting in the stands, while you guys will be home watching ESPN.  I feel like I have already won....

MDH

Quote from: SECrules on September 10, 2007, 11:19:45 pm
Quote from: MDH on September 10, 2007, 07:14:54 pm
Forget the stats.  Only one thing matters- Nick Saban is evil.  This isn't just Tide v. Hogs, this is Evil v. Nutt-so-evil.  I'm voting for the lesser of the two.  31 - 28 Hogs.

I'm curious here.  Seriously, could please explain why Nick Saban is evil?  I can see this coming from a Dolphins or LSU fan who feel that Nick jilted them, but what do Arkansas fans have against him?  Evil is a pretty strong term to describe a football coach.  Evil is like Charles Manson or someone who burns your house down with your family inside.  An Evil football coach would do something like have his team gang rape the homecoming queen in front of her father or some twisted stuff like that.  Beating your team in a football game or leaving your school isn't evil, it's business.  I'm really curious about your beef with Saban.  Please explain.  ???

Maybe evil is a bit too harsh of a term, but I wasn't being entirely serious.  I call him the Prince of Lies after the way he handled the whole hiring process with 'Bama.  It is from that I get the evil reference.  That I and just don't like the guy, he comes off (to me) like a self-serving politician posing as a coach, but I am not disputing what he has accomplished in the past.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

MysticHog

Quote from: parrishw on September 10, 2007, 05:05:59 pm
Quote from: MysticHog on September 10, 2007, 04:13:38 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on September 10, 2007, 04:03:48 pm
Quote from: MysticHog on September 10, 2007, 04:00:54 pm

Old Lou didn't do squat at USC, those stats up there are run of the mill stuff.  Get real.   He won a NC at ND and almost won one here he never came close at SC his time had passed.  If you don't know that you are not much of a fan of the game.  Same goes for Spurrier and Saban.  Nick Saban is not going win a NC at Bama, not this year not ever.  In fact he will not win one anywhere again.
hey, you are allowed your idiotic opinion, I am certainly not gonna keep your from it...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Pulled out...

Your allowed to your misinformed opinion as a part time fan and a poor understudy of football.  Read more of my post and post less yourself and you might learn something.

Mystic you have me laughing out loud.
You are so out of your league and mis-informed and wrong it is amazing.

I really do feel sorry for you so I am not going to say anything more or respond to your posts. It would just make you look even more foolish.

Out of my league,? son I have forgot more about the Hogs than you will ever know. In fact I have forgotten more about the Hogs than you and your friends will ever know.   You don't know who your talking to.

MysticHog

Quote from: jmcgr002 on September 10, 2007, 08:14:21 pm
Quote from: MysticHog on September 10, 2007, 03:43:13 pm
Quote from: jmcgr002 on September 10, 2007, 12:00:26 pm
"Look at South Carolina they have made this mistake twice, the thought they had hired the old Lou Holtz what they got was an "old Lou Holtz".  Same thing with Spurrier.  Bama has the same thing, retread from the NFL who couldn't cut it trys to do it in college again.  Don't fear Saban, still the same players, we'll killem."

What do the hell do you know? Its one thing to have an opinion, but at least back it up with substantial evidence or fact. The games Bama lost last year were by a margin of less than 7, with the exception of the Florida and LSU game. I expect your claims to be extremely inaccurate.

And If you don't think Spurrier is turning that South Caronlina program around, then you are blind and obviously don't watch enough football -- sober at least. I recall him claiming the number 4 recruiting class in the nation last year. They lost to the National Champion Gators by a margin of only one last year, while playing all other ranked teams relatively close, with the exception of Georgia and Tennessee.

I don't normally respond to the trash I read on here, but this one I could not resist.

What do I know?  I lot more than you I am sure.  A loss is a loss by 1 or 71 it's still a L.

Would you be more worried about playing a team who lost to the defending champs by 1 or a team who lost by 71? Thats a pretty significant difference of a team's talent....you scholar you. To say that we're gonna "kill em," [referring to killing Bama] a team who had us on the ropes last season, only loosing to us b/c their kicker had a horrible day -- is a horrible assessment. They have a more experienced coach with the same, more experienced players. Look at the razorbacks of 05, a team who struggled all year b/c of youth....who came back with the same damn players a year older and had a 10 win season. Now lets think about that a little bit. You've got some growing up to do son.

There is nothing you can teach me or anyone else. I stand by the statement.  As for the question about Nutt, I will never be a Nutt fan and I will be calling for his head until the day he leaves.

wincrimson

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on September 09, 2007, 10:06:59 pm
Quote from: Wincrimson on September 09, 2007, 10:03:55 pm
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on September 09, 2007, 09:39:20 pm
Quote from: BILLYBOB on September 09, 2007, 09:33:10 pm
Actually, South Carolina and Alabama are totally different situations.  USC had a pretty good coach in Lou Holtz...he may have slipped a little, but ol' Lou knows a thing or two about winning on the grid iron. 

Alabama, on the other hand, was coached by a complete idiot. I thought SHula was hands down the worst coach in the SEC.  Bama has seriously upgraded and it has already shown.  They'll be good.
Not disagreeing with you that they have upgraded as far as coaching goes, but I fail to see how it has already shown.  By beating Western Carolina and Vandy?

Who did you want him to beat? 

He's beaten who he's played. 
Shula would have won both of those games too.

Not necessarily.

I was there when Mississippi State took us to the woodshed at home.  We were then being coached by one Mr. Mike Shula.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 11, 2007, 10:56:00 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 11, 2007, 10:12:47 am
Quote from: stnsnptrck on September 11, 2007, 09:38:50 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 09, 2007, 06:07:02 pm
Quote from: ballhog24 on September 09, 2007, 06:03:02 pm
No one thought Michigan would be 0-2 to start the season off; when going on Michigan's history..yet there they are....0-2 at THE BIG HOUSE.

Arkansas CAN beat Bama, regardlesss of historical data.

Razorbacks 31   Tide 21

OK, I hope they do, but what do you base that on? I used facts. You are using what? D-Mac? F-Jo? Great, great backs........probably the best RB tandem ever in the history of Arkansas. Maybe two of the best in the history of NCAA football. But beyond that, what do you use to make that projection........using facts? I hope you are right, I truly do, but history is without a doubt, against us.

yes you did use facts.  Historical facts.  Good thing for us though, is that past history will not affect THIS game.   It will start out 0-0 just like all the others.  They won't be spotted points because Nutt is 0-2 agains Saban away from home, or any other reason you stated.  Hogs win by 10+ because Alabama's defense can not and will not stop our run game.  8 men in the box is not enough.  Teams did it all last year and it doesn't work. 

Well, actually, what you say isn't true. Tendencies derived from historical fact are not only a great predictor of what a team will do, but it is used every week by DC's all over the country in down and distance and field position situations. What I have presented here, is just a simplified version based on what an entire team has done. You don't have to agree, many don't, but it still has merit nonetheless. And you are also wrong that no one could slow down or stop or rushing game last year. See Mississippi State(MSU?) and Florida......they held us to 146 yds rushing and 138 yards rushing respectively. Believe it or not, even with the great O-Line we had last year(which is tons better than we have this year), it can be done. You can be a "homer" and say whatever you want. I want the Hogs to win as well, I just choose to look at the facts.

Since joining the SEC, Arkansas is 2-1 @Tuscaloosa in years following a coaching change for Alabama.  I like our chances, due to the facts of course!

Right you are and that is a great stat. Good work. But let us keep in mind that they lost those 2 games by the combined total of 4 points, or two points per game. I am not sure whose chances to like better. Great work on finding that stat though.
Go Hogs Go!

parrishw

Quote from: MysticHog on September 11, 2007, 12:44:35 pm
Quote from: parrishw on September 10, 2007, 05:05:59 pm
Quote from: MysticHog on September 10, 2007, 04:13:38 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on September 10, 2007, 04:03:48 pm

Old Lou didn't do squat at USC, those stats up there are run of the mill stuff.  Get real.   He won a NC at ND and almost won one here he never came close at SC his time had passed.  If you don't know that you are not much of a fan of the game.  Same goes for Spurrier and Saban.  Nick Saban is not going win a NC at Bama, not this year not ever.  In fact he will not win one anywhere again.
hey, you are allowed your idiotic opinion, I am certainly not gonna keep your from it...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Pulled out...

Your allowed to your misinformed opinion as a part time fan and a poor understudy of football.  Read more of my post and post less yourself and you might learn something.

Mystic you have me laughing out loud.
You are so out of your league and mis-informed and wrong it is amazing.

I really do feel sorry for you so I am not going to say anything more or respond to your posts. It would just make you look even more foolish.

Out of my league,? son I have forgot more about the Hogs than you will ever know. In fact I have forgotten more about the Hogs than you and your friends will ever know.   You don't know who your talking to.

Yes, I would have to agree. You have forgotten quite a bit.

and you also do not know who you are talkiing to. I have been a hog fan since BF  ( before Frank)

Mr. Hog

Quote from: MysticHog on September 09, 2007, 09:17:59 pm
Look at South Carolina they have made this mistake twice, the thought they had hired the old Lou Holtz what they got was an "old Lou Holtz".  Same thing with Spurrier.  Bama has the same thing, retread from the NFL who couldn't cut it trys to do it in college again.  Don't fear Saban, still the same players, we'll killem.

Your wrong my friend !
Go Hogs Go!

PulledPork

Quote from: parrishw on September 11, 2007, 02:51:47 pm
and you also do not know who you are talkiing to. I have been a hog fan since BF  ( before Frank)
ball is in your court, Mystic....you can't get much older than that, unless you are one of Adam's original kids.

Pulled out...

MysticHog

Quote from: PulledPork on September 11, 2007, 06:01:06 pm
Quote from: parrishw on September 11, 2007, 02:51:47 pm
ball is in your court, Mystic....you can't get much older than that, unless you are one of Adam's original kids.

Pulled out...

You got me beat there,  I didn't know there were any people left that were that old. Just kidding you. I am old enough to have seen Lance Alworth play and remember it.  I have seen a lot go on I have seen the greatness that was at one time Arkansas football. I want it back.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Catch Prothro on September 11, 2007, 12:02:35 pm
As a Bama fan, I will say that Arkansas v. Bama should be a typical hard-fought, close game.  We always hate going to Arkansas, and you guys always hate going to Bama.  I think Bama's biggest advantages (player and coach comparisons aside) are going to be home field and having already played two games, including an SEC game.  I honestly think these are huge advantages.  Bama's disadvantages include all these new schemes to learn. 

Naturally you guys got McFadden.  We got this young guy named Grant, and you may see some of him.  With Monk (and Cleveland) out, I think that makes it a bit easier on our defense to stop the run, which we will have to do.

Whoever said Arkansas has never won in Tuscaloosa is wrong.  I sat through the pouring rain in 2003 to watch Arkansas win in two overtimes.  I will be sitting again in the stands for this game.  Some differences in this Bama team and the team in 2003 include conditioning and attitude.  This Bama team playes like a team.  This Bama team plays to win.

So there I will be, sitting in the stands, while you guys will be home watching ESPN.  I feel like I have already won....

No, you are right, Nutt has won there before.......I believe he is 1-3 at Alabama.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorbackNutt

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 11, 2007, 06:18:40 am
Quote from: RazorbackNutt on September 11, 2007, 04:42:33 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 10, 2007, 01:08:42 pm
Quote from: baseballhog on September 10, 2007, 12:09:48 pm
Since this game is already over, why are we even going down there?  By reading these statements we don't stand a chance aganists the big bad Tide, but don't tell that to DMac and company, because they could care less what has happened since 1998.  It seems like we won this game last year, but I could be wrong.

No one is saying that the game is over or that we needn't play it because we are already beaten.......not at all. I think that some of us see potential pitfalls and how we have performed at Bama and against SEC teams after we are coming off an open date, doesn't help bolster confidence. I think we all realize how important this game is....I really believe that the quality of our season hinges on this game. Win this one, we stand a very good chance of going 10-2 or maybe even better in the regular season. Lose this one and we could very well be 8-4 or worse. This is a pretty big game to be having so early in the season but here it is, nonetheless. Some people build up their enthusiasm for the game by getting all caught up in the "we are great, we have a Heisman candidate and the best team we have ever had" state of mind. Others prefer to look at things objectively. It doesn't mean we are negative, we are just studying the facts and come game day, no one will be any more fired up about the game or cheering for the Hogs than us. We all want the Hogs to win, we just choose to examine certain aspects of the game differently than others. For all those that think our line of thinking is based in "hate", it isn't. It is just based in trying to look at things fairly and with an objective viewpoint. Go Hogs!

I hate when people say they are trying to be objective and then give some sort of prediction.  It is silly and pompous. 

If you are going to claim you are trying to be objective, please just give a list of stats and let those who are not trying to be objective give a good spiel on them.  We both know that this game COULD go either way.  There is simply no clear "objective" way to look at these two teams/coaches and say that "looking at everything objectively, this team will win..."

Geez.  Sorry for the rant.  Everytime I see that word pop up next to a prediction I feel like I fell on my keys.

Well, try not to do that(fall on your keys) because I imagine I will continue to try to be objective and, since that is kinda what we do on here, I imagine I will also continue to make predictions. I thnk you are a little off in the terms you choose to use as well. It is hardly silly nor is it pompous to try to be objective and make predictions.

I'm glad that you're trying to be objective.  I just hate when people use their attempt at objectivity as their argument because it implies that the other person is less objective than you are.  Maybe they are less objective than you for a given argument, but it is impossible to be completely objective when trying to predict who is going to win a football game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorbackNutt on September 13, 2007, 05:33:23 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 11, 2007, 06:18:40 am
Quote from: RazorbackNutt on September 11, 2007, 04:42:33 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 10, 2007, 01:08:42 pm
Quote from: baseballhog on September 10, 2007, 12:09:48 pm
Since this game is already over, why are we even going down there?  By reading these statements we don't stand a chance aganists the big bad Tide, but don't tell that to DMac and company, because they could care less what has happened since 1998.  It seems like we won this game last year, but I could be wrong.

No one is saying that the game is over or that we needn't play it because we are already beaten.......not at all. I think that some of us see potential pitfalls and how we have performed at Bama and against SEC teams after we are coming off an open date, doesn't help bolster confidence. I think we all realize how important this game is....I really believe that the quality of our season hinges on this game. Win this one, we stand a very good chance of going 10-2 or maybe even better in the regular season. Lose this one and we could very well be 8-4 or worse. This is a pretty big game to be having so early in the season but here it is, nonetheless. Some people build up their enthusiasm for the game by getting all caught up in the "we are great, we have a Heisman candidate and the best team we have ever had" state of mind. Others prefer to look at things objectively. It doesn't mean we are negative, we are just studying the facts and come game day, no one will be any more fired up about the game or cheering for the Hogs than us. We all want the Hogs to win, we just choose to examine certain aspects of the game differently than others. For all those that think our line of thinking is based in "hate", it isn't. It is just based in trying to look at things fairly and with an objective viewpoint. Go Hogs!

I hate when people say they are trying to be objective and then give some sort of prediction.  It is silly and pompous. 

If you are going to claim you are trying to be objective, please just give a list of stats and let those who are not trying to be objective give a good spiel on them.  We both know that this game COULD go either way.  There is simply no clear "objective" way to look at these two teams/coaches and say that "looking at everything objectively, this team will win..."

Geez.  Sorry for the rant.  Everytime I see that word pop up next to a prediction I feel like I fell on my keys.

Well, try not to do that(fall on your keys) because I imagine I will continue to try to be objective and, since that is kinda what we do on here, I imagine I will also continue to make predictions. I thnk you are a little off in the terms you choose to use as well. It is hardly silly nor is it pompous to try to be objective and make predictions.

I'm glad that you're trying to be objective.  I just hate when people use their attempt at objectivity as their argument because it implies that the other person is less objective than you are.  Maybe they are less objective than you for a given argument, but it is impossible to be completely objective when trying to predict who is going to win a football game.

Sure it is. You can be objective and still predict an outcome....heck, it happens every week. I'm a fan, but I can look at things objectively and I think that if you are going to predict outcomes, it is even more important that you try to be objective.....otherwise, your prediction is invalidated by your personal feelings. My personal feelings are that I wish that the Hogs would go 14-0 and win the NC. But comparing the two teams this weekend, if we are going to win, a lot of breaks are going to have to go our way. I expect this to go down to the wire and if the breaks don't go our way, Bama takes us by three.
Go Hogs Go!

hirebutchdavis

Well boys I am hearing its going to rain Saturday in Bama.  The running game of Arkansas might prevail.  However, I still say ROLL TIDE

Puerco Diablo

September 13, 2007, 10:07:30 pm #214 Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:09:48 pm by Puerco Diablo
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 09, 2007, 05:48:09 pm
To begin with, we all want the Hogs to win, me included. We ALL want that, so I don;t want to hear any b.s. about not being a "true fan". What I am going to give you is reality and records over the years based on actual stats.

Since 1998, when Alabama averages over 400 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game when we play at Alabama, Alabama is 2-0.

Since 1998, when Alabama averages over 380 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game when we play at Alabama, Alabama is 3-1.

Since 1998, when we play Alabama at Alabama, Alabama is 3-1.

This year, Alabama is averaging 473 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game which we play......in Alabama.

Nutt's all time record against Saban is 2-3. Nutt's all time record against Saban on Saban's home field is 0-2.

Our RB's are outstanding, theirs are average. Their O-Line is great, our O-Line is average(at this point). Their QB is very good, ours is below average. Their secondary is very good, ours is below average. Their D-Line is average, ours is average. Their LB's are excellent, ours are perhaps a little above average. Their WR's are average and ours are average. We both have great kickers. The key to this game is going to be( I know this sounds cliche'), whomever makes fewer mistakes, doesn't turn the ball over(Alabama is +1.00 and Arkansas is -1.00 to date this season) and controls the line of scrimmage. I'm sorry guys, I see Bama taking this one.......27-24.

1.  Let's talk recent trends:  Arkansas is 3-1 in the last four SU.  1-1 in Alabama.
2. "Our RB's are outstanding, theirs are average."  Half truth.  Tide backs are good but young.  Advantage Hogs
3.  "Their O-Line is great, our O-Line is average(at this point)."  This is total BS.  Both lines rate as good.  No Advantage.
4.  "Their QB is very good, ours is below average."  Again, this is not true.  JP Walker is avg. 169 YPG with no TDs and 1 INT.  His passer rating and experience and W-L record is comparable to Casey's.  No Advantage.
5.  " Their secondary is very good, ours is below average. "  Look at the stats.  Both secondarys rate out as good.  I'll give a slight advantage to Bama even though our secondary gave up 100 fewer yards passing to Troy than Floridas defense and i am sure you would rate them as good.  Simeon Castille IS a play maker for the Tide in the secondary.
6.  "Their D line is average, ours is average."  No real advantage here.
7.  "Their LBs are excellent". How do you know.  The Tide starting MLB was in Highschool 4 month ago.  No advantage.
8.  "their WRs are average, ours are average".  This is rediculous.  The tides WRs are good and ours are non-existant.  Advantage Bama if JP Wilson has enough time to find them.
9.  I LOVE THIS ONE.  "we both have great kickers".  Seriously?  Tiffen for Bama is a train wreck and Tejada is nails.  Clear advantage to Arkansas.

While I do agree with you that limiting mistakes will be key, that is a no brainer when on the road for your conference opener.  This game will be won in the trenches.  If our D line can get a good push and put pressure on Wilson, I think we contain the Bama offense enough to let DMAC and Felix run away with it.  31-20 HOGS win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on September 13, 2007, 10:07:30 pm
To begin with, we all want the Hogs to win, me included. We ALL want that, so I don;t want to hear any b.s. about not being a "true fan". What I am going to give you is reality and records over the years based on actual stats.

Since 1998, when Alabama averages over 400 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game when we play at Alabama, Alabama is 2-0.

Since 1998, when Alabama averages over 380 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game when we play at Alabama, Alabama is 3-1.

This year, Alabama is averaging 473 yards of total offense per game coming into the Arkansas game which we play......in Alabama.

Nutt's all time record against Saban is 2-3. Nutt's all time record against Saban on Saban's home field is 0-2.

Our RB's are outstanding, theirs are average. Their O-Line is great, our O-Line is average(at this point). Their QB is very good, ours is below average. Their secondary is very good, ours is below average. Their D-Line is average, ours is average. Their LB's are excellent, ours are perhaps a little above average. Their WR's are average and ours are average. We both have great kickers. The key to this game is going to be( I know this sounds cliche'), whomever makes fewer mistakes, doesn't turn the ball over(Alabama is +1.00 and Arkansas is -1.00 to date this season) and controls the line of scrimmage. I'm sorry guys, I see Bama taking this one.......27-24.

1.  Let's talk recent trends:  Arkansas is 3-1 in the last four SU.  1-1 in Alabama.
2. "Our RB's are outstanding, theirs are average."  Half truth.  Tide backs are good but young.  Advantage Hogs
3.  "Their O-Line is great, our O-Line is average(at this point)."  This is total BS.  Both lines rate as good.  No Advantage.
4.  "Their QB is very good, ours is below average."  Again, this is not true.  JP Walker is avg. 169 YPG with no TDs and 1 INT.  His passer rating and experience and W-L record is comparable to Casey's.  No Advantage.
5.  " Their secondary is very good, ours is below average. "  Look at the stats.  Both secondarys rate out as good.  I'll give a slight advantage to Bama even though our secondary gave up 100 fewer yards passing to Troy than Floridas defense and i am sure you would rate them as good.  Simeon Castille IS a play maker for the Tide in the secondary.
6.  "Their D line is average, ours is average."  No real advantage here.
7.  "Their LBs are excellent". How do you know.  The Tide starting MLB was in Highschool 4 month ago.  No advantage.
8.  "their WRs are average, ours are average".  This is rediculous.  The tides WRs are good and ours are non-existant.  Advantage Bama if JP Wilson has enough time to find them.
9.  I LOVE THIS ONE.  "we both have great kickers".  Seriously?  Tiffen for Bama is a train wreck and Tejada is nails.  Clear advantage to Arkansas.

While I do agree with you that limiting mistakes will be key, that is a no brainer when on the road for your conference opener.  This game will be won in the trenches.  If our D line can get a good push and put pressure on Wilson, I think we contain the Bama offense enough to let DMAC and Felix run away with it.  31-20 HOGS win.

The great thing about Hogville is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I disagree with your analysis(our o-line and their o-line are equal???). Apparently this is based your opinion and little or no research. Any one knows, for example, that their O-Line is not only deep, but experienced as well. We have some experience(3 guys is about all and one of those layed in only 8 games last year) and no depth. We have the potential to develop another great O-Line, but not in the second game of the season. Our QB and theirs are equal? I respect your personal opinion, but even the most radical hugger would have to agree that this is simply not true. Granted JPW has not had the kind of start to the year that I am sure he or Bama might have hoped for, but the kid is a very good QB with a great arm and all you had to do was see last years game in Fayetteville to know that. Check his stats from last year. He is very capable of being a dangerous passing QB. As for their LB's, I evaluated them across the board, not just one LB. If that kid that is a true freshman was on our team, we would be lauding him as the next great, All American LB at Arkansas instead of trying to diminish his abilities by saying, "yeah, but he is just a freshman". The kid can obviously play. Our secondary? Are you advocating our secondary? The same secondary that got burned by Troy in the second half two weeks ago? If the Troy QB had been on his game, we would have been in trouble. The one INT we had came from the one bright spot in our secondary, a converted LB, Matt Hewitt. Maybe, if JPW is not having a good start to the year passing, our secondary will pass the test again this week. If he warms up and gets hot, we may have a long night. I still say Bama wins this one, perhaps on a very sloppy field, 27-24.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PulledPork on September 10, 2007, 03:47:59 pm
Quote from: MysticHog on September 10, 2007, 03:44:31 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on September 10, 2007, 03:39:13 pm
Firsts at South Carolina under Coach Holtz

* Winning two consecutive New Year's Day Bowl games (2001, 2002 Outback Bowls)
    * Finishing with top 20 national rankings for two straight years (19th in 2000 and 13th in 2001)
    * Ranked in the national polls for an entire season (2001)
    * The most victories in consecutive seasons (17 from 2000-01)
    * Record-setting home attendance (82,614 average in 2001 and 82,138 in 2002)
    * Most national television appearances in a three-year period (18)
    * Most players (11) to sign NFL contracts in one season (2002 and again in 2003)
    * Back-to-back top 10 rated recruiting classes (2002, 2003)

yeah, old Lou was washed up......

and it might be a little too early to close the book on Spurrier in Cockland...he has already taken them to back-to-back bowl games in his first two years.

Pulled out...

Good cut and paste, so ranking in the top 20 makes you a great coach? Not in my book.
what, do you think I am going to take the time and type this shiit out?  you're crazier than you sound!
who said a coach that produces top twenty rankings is the best we can expect, not me.  I was just refuting your ridiculous thought on "old Lou".  At least I put some time in and found some stats to back up my statement.
can you name the last time Nutty finished in the top twenty back to back?

Pulled out...

Doggone Mystic, that is a bit over the top, don't you think? Saban is a good coach and to act like Spurrier hasn't had a positive impact at S. Carolina is, well......just wrong. Ever been to Columbia, SC? Maybe I haven't been to all the hot spots in town but I wouldn't want to be recruited to that school. It has to be easier to recruit to Alabama or Arkansas than to USC. I think Spurrier has those guys on the right track and I think Saban is going to right the ship at Alabama as well. We'll get our first lesson in that tonight when Bama beats us by three at Bama. 27-24.
Go Hogs Go!

wholehog92

Well done Muskogee Hog.  I guess history must be some kind of indicator of things to come.  One thing not mentioned here and I haven't noticed elsewhere is our special teams plays was still.....well...special.  Go back and watch if you care to.  Things like players not finding the ball on coverage and poor blocking and tackling.  <Sarcasm on>I can't imagine why this doesn't look any better.<sarcasm off>

Alabama was not that good.  For three quarters of a four quarter game we were beaten.  For two of those we were embarassing.  I remember several people saying Saben wouldn't make a difference, after this is his first season.  Let me make the point, a winning attitude with the expectation of excellence makes a difference immediately.  It made the mediocre players bammer had play very well.  The lack of it made our very good players look mediocre.

We can go back and look at past threads, but from my memory we all knew the secondary was going to be weak.  I am not surprised bammer threw it all over the field on us.  Surely a capable coach was prepared for that as well.  I'm sure they have a plan for next week.

+1 Muskogee Hog
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.