Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How can oklahoma throw out a redshirt freshman that.....

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, September 09, 2007, 02:06:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

September 09, 2007, 02:06:50 pm Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:09:23 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
has never EVER played a game before and go 40-49 for 600 yards and 8 TDs in two games while....

we have a QB who has played in BIG BIG BIG games going into his Jr season that can't complete a downfield pass to a wideout? We have to have him throw to tailbacks and fullbacks to "get him some confidence".

Keep in mind that Bradford was just as highly recruited as Casey Dick. They were both three star QBs coming out of HS with not that many big time offers. Also keep in mind that our tailbacks are probably better than theirs. They do have Malcom Kelley but we also have some potential playmakers at wideout like London Crawford, Tuck, Robert Johnson, and Carlton Saltors. If London Crawford played at Oklahoma or Louisville he would be all conference or maybe all american.  Both offensive lines give both QBs adequate time in passing the football also.

I believe the big difference here is having coaches that know what they are doing in developing QBs and a solid passing offense.
This is something that has been absent from our offense since Ferguson, Stoerner, and Lucas and probably will remain absent until this regime is GONE.

Just sick of having outstanding tailbacks without a passing game to go with it.
Wish some people would realize we could be SO much better than we are.

Oliver

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 09, 2007, 02:06:50 pm
has never EVER played a game before and go 40-49 for 600 yards and 8 TDs in two games while....

we have a QB who has played in BIG BIG BIG games going into his Jr season that can't complete a downfield pass to a wideout? We have to have him throw to tailbacks and fullbacks to "get him some confidence".

Keep in mind that Bradford was just as highly recruited as Casey Dick. They were both three star QBs coming out of HS with not that many big time offers. Also keep in mind that our tailbacks are probably better than theirs. They do have Malcom Kelley but we also have some potential playmakers at wideout like London Crawford, Tuck, Robert Johnson, and Carlton Saltors. If London Crawford played at Oklahoma or Louisville he would be all conference or maybe all american.  Both offensive lines give both QBs adequate time in passing the football also.

I believe the big difference here is having coaches that know what they are doing in developing QBs and a solid passing offense.
This is something that has been absent from our offense since Ferguson, Stoerner, and Lucas and probably will remain absent until this regime is GONE.

Look at the stats of OU's worst quarterback (probably Rhett Bomar in his one year there), and compare them to the best stats of HDN's best quarterback and tell me that coaching doesn't play a part.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 09, 2007, 02:08:08 pm

Look at the stats of OU's worst quarterback (probably Rhett Bomar in his one year there), and compare them to the best stats of HDN's best quarterback and tell me that coaching doesn't play a part.

nutt really needs a Matt Jones type QB that can imrovise and make his tired old offense look good.

biggiepiggie

NWASooner

It's the same reason that OU won a national championship with a 2 star JUCO QB whose only other offer was from Utah State throwing to a bunch of converted DB's and RB's.

Coaching matters.

intoxhog

September 09, 2007, 04:05:47 pm #5 Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 04:07:24 pm by intoxhog
I almost hate to say the words stoops and  :puke: nutt in the same sentence however its all about wins and profomance and not about ego's at OU. They really have never had to put up with the good ole-boy network there, its all about preformace.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

badbrad

Quote from: intoxhog on September 09, 2007, 04:05:47 pm
I almost hate to say the words stoops and  :puke: nutt in the same sentence however its all about wins and profomance and not about ego's at OU. They really have never had to put up with the good ole-boy network there, its all about preformace.

+1

Shizzle

I would say the ability to develop a player at the QB position.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

rljjr

OU looked really impressive. I hate to say that, but man, they were awesome in every phase of the game.

Feralhog

September 09, 2007, 05:05:33 pm #9 Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 05:07:16 pm by Feralhog
Think about it.  Casey's a Junior that had his shirt burned  halfway through the 05 season yet somehow he looked better as a true Frosh.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 09, 2007, 02:33:37 pm
Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 09, 2007, 02:08:08 pm

nutt really needs a Matt Jones type QB that can imrovise and make his tired old offense look good.

It is ALL about coaching and knowing what you want to recruit to take you where you want to go. If we want that kind of program, we need to hire a "Stoops-like" coach and have an AD like Castiglione at OU that demands excellence. Anything short of that, we get what we have always had.
Go Hogs Go!

Fatty McGee

There is no greater illustration of Nutt's failures than what is going on just 200 miles away in Norman. 

Think about last year - OU lost its QB in the fall and its RB early in the season, and still had a hell of a year.  What would a Nutt coached team have done in the same situation?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Fatty McGee on September 09, 2007, 05:21:31 pm
  What would a Nutt coached team have done in the same situation?

made excuses for having a crappy season.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Feralhog on September 09, 2007, 05:05:33 pm
Think about it.  Casey's a Junior that had his shirt burned  halfway through the 05 season yet somehow he looked better as a true Frosh.

yea, he looked good but there isn't a scouting report on a guy who's never played in a game before.  when dick came in half way through the season in '05 he did pretty good.  defenses now have him pinpointed a little better now (he can make these throws but not these, he can get rattled easily, he tries to fit the ball into tight spots instead of just throwing it away, etc.).  I agree that he doesn't seem to have progressed over the past couple of years.  it could have something to do with the fact that he's had a different qb coach and offense coordinator every year that he's been at arkansas
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

MuskogeeHogFan

There is no greater illustration of Nutt's failures than what is going on just 200 miles away in Norman. 

Think about last year - OU lost its QB in the fall and its RB early in the season, and still had a hell of a year.  What would a Nutt coached team have done in the same situation?

To top it off, if you think there isn't some good coaching going on over there, this is the third year in a row that they have started with a brand new QB.
Go Hogs Go!

gomersnerd

It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

russell33

its simple guys.....

OU has won the big 12 championship with 4 different quaterbacks.

2000- josh heupel
2002- nate hybl
2004- jason white
2006- paul thompson

they also took jason white, who in high school was a run first option qb and turned him into a deep ball passer, and onto a heisman trophy.

stats dont lie

combsj

Quote from: Feralhog on September 09, 2007, 05:05:33 pm

exactly....Nutt is a QB killer...give him a half-way decent kid (Casey was rated better than Colt McCoy when they signed) and Nutt will make him the worst QB in the SEC while good coaches like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops will have them throwing 250-300 yds a game w/2-3 TDs.

pignatious

September 09, 2007, 09:46:25 pm #18 Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:24:21 pm by pignatious

I realize it. Our coaches have to be some of the biggest underachievers out there with the talent we have had and do have. However, we had a great quarterback and NumbNutt ran him off. OU has a great coaching staff, and we have nada.
Freedom is never free.

slopinhogs

receivers have to be open and the QB has to trust them to catch the ball thus the check offs last week.

it all boils down to coaching receivers how to get open and a qb to be able to make reads and not stare down his only receiver. it requires repetions either during or after practice these guys have to work together for it to work. time has to be allowed for it . learning to make hot reads isn't an easy tassk as Dmac has alluded to ."it isn't anything he can't learn, but it's hard with minimal practice."to quote him
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

UhOhioHog

NWASooner

In all fairness, OU's talent at the skill positions is much better.  Arkansas has better RB's but our 3 RB's are pretty good.  At the WR and TE positions, it's not even close.  Monk cracks the two deep at OU but that's it. 

It's easier to play QB when you have the horses. 

The coaching is the big reason, though.

Oliver

Quote from: NWASooner on September 09, 2007, 10:51:37 pm
In all fairness, OU's talent at the skill positions is much better.  Arkansas has better RB's but our 3 RB's are pretty good.  At the WR and TE positions, it's not even close.  Monk cracks the two deep at OU but that's it. 

Monk would start at OU, period.  I live in Norman and I see the wide receivers every week.  He would be the second wide receiver to Malcolm Kelly.  If Monk would have had OU's coaching development instead of ours, he probably would be better than Malcolm Kelly by this point.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 09, 2007, 10:56:14 pm

Monk would start at OU, period.  I live in Norman and I see the wide receivers every week.  He would be the second wide receiver to Malcolm Kelly.  If Monk would have had OU's coaching development instead of ours, he probably would be better than Malcolm Kelly by this point.

I agree he could be #2.

But one of the things I hear about Kelly again and again when people are talking about how good he is, is how large his hands are, which he uses to pull in passes like the one Bradford threw at his knees against UNT.
That's something you can't coach.

NWASooner

What makes Kelly better is he spent a year catching passes from Paul Thompson.  If you can catch those, you can catch anything.  Great leader but not the most accurate thrower in the world.  I think both Kelly and Gresham are future first round picks. 

Monk at #2 isn't a lock.  Iglesias and Johnson are pretty good.  Monk would be in the rotation but those other two aren't spares.  That's kind of the point, though.  Bradford's #4 option on a play is pretty damn good. 

arklahoman36

Quote from: NWASooner on September 09, 2007, 11:15:52 pm
What makes Kelly better is he spent a year catching passes from Paul Thompson.  If you can catch those, you can catch anything.  Great leader but not the most accurate thrower in the world.  I think both Kelly and Gresham are future first round picks. 

Monk at #2 isn't a lock.  Iglesias and Johnson are pretty good.  Monk would be in the rotation but those other two aren't spares.  That's kind of the point, though.  Bradford's #4 option on a play is pretty damn good. 

I don't think Iglesias or Johnson are spares. I just think if Monk had the same coaching they had, with his physical tools he COULD be #2.

I also agree the Sooners have better overall talent at the skill positions, and although ARK two-deep at RB is better than the Sooner's two-deep at RB, I think OU's depth at RB is better than ARK -- Patrick, Brown, Murray, Madu, Gute.

Agree it's not even close at WR and TE and not sure ARK has the quality depth on the O-line that OU has this year.

Oliver

Quote from: arklahoman36 on September 09, 2007, 11:03:55 pm

I agree he could be #2.

But one of the things I hear about Kelly again and again when people are talking about how good he is, is how large his hands are, which he uses to pull in passes like the one Bradford threw at his knees against UNT.

See, Monk has that same talent.  That is how he can be successful at our program despite the fact that we have a coaching staff that can't develop QB's or WR.  Monk has great hands and he is 6'6" tall.  You can't coach that either.  If he would have had Kelly or Iglesias's coaching, he'd probably be the number one receiver that OU had this year. 

Oliver

Quote from: NWASooner on September 09, 2007, 11:15:52 pm

Monk had a pretty good year last year catching passes (for half the year) from Casey Dick.  Game, set, match.  Casey Dick makes Paul Thompson look like Jason White.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 09, 2007, 11:30:00 pm

I agree he could be #2.

See, Monk has that same talent.  That is how he can be successful at our program despite the fact that we have a coaching staff that can't develop QB's or WR.  Monk has great hands and he is 6'6" tall.  You can't coach that either.  If he would have had Kelly or Iglesias's coaching, he'd probably be the number one receiver that OU had this year. 

We simply disagree about Monk having the same natural talent as Kelly.

Oliver

Quote from: arklahoman36 on September 09, 2007, 11:34:41 pm

I agree he could be #2.

Yes, we do.  But I think we can agree that they will both have great NFL careers.  And I think that we can agree that OU's coaching staff is FAR SUPERIOR to ours.

Nashville Fan

It is not the QB but the system. Jay Cutler would have only completed 50% of his passes here. First of all he would have had 5 different QB coaches and a dork for an OC most of the time.
Pittman or Bust!

arklahoman36

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 09, 2007, 11:36:48 pm
Quote from: arklahoman36 on September 09, 2007, 11:34:41 pm

I agree he could be #2.

Yes, we do.  But I think we can agree that they will both have great NFL careers.  And I think that we can agree that OU's coaching staff is FAR SUPERIOR to ours.

We do agree on that.

Top to bottom OU has a better staff, although I really like Rocker, and Stoops has the ability to continue to attract quality assistants when his get HC jobs.

If OU keeps it up on offense the rest of the year, OC Kevin Wilson will be the next to go.

Oliver

Quote from: Nashville Fan on September 09, 2007, 11:40:22 pm
It is not the QB but the system. Jay Cutler would have only completed 50% of his passes here. First of all he would have had 5 different QB coaches and a dork for an OC most of the time.

Agreed.  I don't want to get too down on our QB's because I know it's not really their fault.  But I had to express the fact that Paul Thompson was a way better QB than Casey Dick when it came to last year.

hawaiianhogster

Big Papa Satan

B-b-b-but we're little ol' Arkiesaw.  We shouldn't expect to have complicated things such as an efficient pass game.

We should be happy with what we have, you know.

fullfan

September 10, 2007, 08:19:31 am #35 Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:21:31 am by fullfan

Good observation.   Ask How would Nutt handle it?   OU lost their starting QB from the spring over the summer last year.   What did Stoops do?  Did he panic and pull the shirt off a talented freshman QB?  No, they used a former QB that had converted to WR and back to QB and played in a BCS BOWL game.

Nutt on the other hand burned Casey's redshirt in a 5-7 season and then burned Mustain's redshirt last year.   Its not about building a program for Nutt, its called PANIC Coaching.    Bradford was most likely the most talented QB in the OU camp last year but Stoops had the insight not to throw freshman in the mix.   Nutt does less with more.   He's the squander'er of talent.

DuffMcHog

and asked for another 2 year pass to rebuild.
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 09, 2007, 05:28:18 pm

Restore the Razorback Pride! WPS and GHG.

Hawgasaurus

Because they have confidence in their QB, and a coaching staff that actually works plays in for the QB besides being a great hand-offer...
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Tripod1

Hollywood_HOGan45

havent seen many nuttjob supporters try to argue these facts.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 09, 2007, 05:28:18 pm

Gotten another two year free pass from Big Jim and Paw Paw.

DeltaBoy

Bob Stoops is a BETTER COACH , Teacher and Recruiter than NUTTBOY!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 10, 2007, 09:31:52 am
Bob Stoops is a BETTER COACH , Teacher and Recruiter than NUTTBOY!

bob stoops is a great coach and he hires coaches who can do just as good of a job as he can.

but it doesnt really take a great coach to put together a passing offense.

this is just one example of how clear it is that nuttjob has no idea what he's doing.

Tusks

I'd take Stoops staff over hootens staff anyday.

What would Stoops do with a $4M/yr offer from the UA?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

arklahoman36

Quote from: nutted on September 10, 2007, 10:17:29 am

End up getting more $$$ from OU and staying in Norman.

russell33

Quote from: nutted on September 10, 2007, 10:17:29 am

get 4.1 mil from ou. they have lots of money over there too

Biggus Piggus

I think the term "redshirt" has something to do with it.
[CENSORED]!

blue

Must be "luck"

NWASooner

[Houston Nutt]You know, our kids have "heart" and that's what I, um, you know that time when it was 4th and 2 and we gutted it out?  I remember that.  It took heart.  [/Houston Nutt]

wbs gurl

First of all, I'm not going to say that Arkansas' tailbacks are better than Oklahoma's.  They're not because they aren't developed.  It's the same as the quarterback situation.  Coming in, they may be better, but after years of inadequate coaching they do the best they can.

Secondly, it is about the entire Athletic Dept. from the AD to the lowest coaches.  OU is out there to win it all.  We don't accept mediocrity.  Arkansas is out there to "win enough," and is comfortable with being mediocre.  Take away Arkansas' running game, and your screwed.