Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

jackie sherrill...says run the ball!!!!

Started by FT LNG CHILI HOG, September 04, 2007, 08:43:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FT LNG CHILI HOG

September 04, 2007, 08:43:14 pm Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:45:29 pm by hoggystyle43
 :razorback:  He says that Texas barely beat Ar State mainly because they have become a pass happy team!..He says hdn should run #5 and #25 til their tongues drag...then run em some more.....Also says running the ball wins championships! :razorback:

arcowboy

How come Jackie Sherrill isn't still coaching? 

hogwild32

Quote from: arcowboy on September 04, 2007, 08:46:54 pm

That's kinda what i was thinking.

brooks74

I have no problem with that if you have a passing game that is a threat to actually throw to someone besides a fullback, H-back or RB.  I have no problem with us being a running team with D-Mac, Jones, Smith and Hillis, it's dumb not to be.  BUT you have to have a qb that can throw the ball and be creative when you throw, in the routes you run, and who you throw to.  We don't have that, therefore defenses stack the box and as we get into the SEC, our running game will drag down and one, or all of our back will be worn out, nicked up or flat out injured.

brooks74

He couldn't afford to pay his players anymore.

FT LNG CHILI HOG

brooks, I couldn't agree more...we can only hope at this point....hoping time will prove to be a lot different...

Sanctified Swine

West Virginia is am almost entirely run and they are number three and I believe will be playing USC for the title at the end of this season. You can sell out to the run and have success.

FT LNG CHILI HOG

just stating what the man said guys.....he probably knows a bit more than (I do for sure) and most others here.....(don't shoot the messenger)....lol....just opening it up for discussion.... :razorback:

brooks74

Quote from: opineonswine on September 04, 2007, 08:55:19 pm
Quote from: Sanctified Swine on September 04, 2007, 08:54:18 pm
West Virginia is am almost entirely run and they are number three and I believe will be playing USC for the title at the end of this season. You can sell out to the run and have success.

West Virginny's offense and ours look Nutt-n alike.

The SEC has a little edge in defense over the Big East too.  We have seen what a run only offense gets you in the SEC the last nine years.......Mediocrity.

The Boar War

I agree that being able to run the ball well will pay dividends.  Very few intangibles effect the running game.  You can stay in a game longer (giving your defense more rest) and physically wear down a defensive line.  The passing game depends on timing, the elements have a greater impact, and the ability to call new routes can be effected by the crowd.

That being said it is almost physically impossible to do it week in and week out (especially in the SEC).  We must have a balanced offense so that we don't get our backs hurt.  We can move the ball incrementely through 8 and 9 man fronts but it is difficult to score.

Teams like Texas and to a lesser extent Auburn have become soft.  When you line up to them and hit them in the mouth the d linemen recruited strictly to defend against the pass get tossed around.

Tomhog™

I say bench Casey and put DMAC in full-time at QB.  He doesn't float his passes due to too lengthy strides when out of the pocket.  He can't do worse.  He just needs lots of practice time under center.  Put the ball in his hands every play I say...

1texashogfan

You don't need to be pass-happy to win, just pass-capable.  Unfortunately we have not shown to be pass-capable yet.  Once we are, we will be able to run even more effectively.

Go Hogs
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

The Boar War

WV runs the spread and does have the quarterback who is agile enough to make the plays.  Looks like Franks experts got at least one piece of the puzzle right.  I wish we could run that offense.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: hoggystyle43 on September 04, 2007, 08:55:59 pm
just stating what the man said guys.....he probably knows a bit more than (I do for sure) and most others here.....(don't shoot the messenger)....lol....just opening it up for discussion.... :razorback:

And it is good discussion material.  I liked him while he was at A & M but at that time I was living in the Dallas Area.  Sad to say but I have a son that graduated an Aggie and I still think JS was a very good coach.  I do wish things had worked out better for him.  Surprised me when he was on TV the other night during the game.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

FT LNG CHILI HOG

Sherrill also it is impossible to teach offensive lineman to be really good at both run blocking/pass blocking.......find what you are good at and stick to it....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 04, 2007, 08:59:39 pm
I say bench Casey and put DMAC in full-time at QB.  He doesn't float his passes due to too lengthy strides when out of the pocket.  He can't do worse.  He just needs lots of practice time under center.  Put the ball in his hands every play I say...

LMAO....................you did change your name!   Call came in from Paw Paw?
We don't rent pigs

FT LNG CHILI HOG

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 04, 2007, 08:59:39 pm
I agree....I think dmac would have a better chance of winning the heismann if he were qb....he could run the wishbone....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: hoggystyle43 on September 04, 2007, 09:02:31 pm
Sherrill also it is impossible to teach offensive lineman to be really good at both run blocking/pass blocking.......find what you are good at and stick to it....

Stephen Parker said tonight that he was not versed in pass blocking while at the U of A.  He was cut Saturday by Miami but looks like he may get with the Bengals if everything goes right.
We don't rent pigs

FT LNG CHILI HOG

Quote from: wayne1958 on September 04, 2007, 09:07:16 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle43 on September 04, 2007, 09:02:31 pm
I would imagine not at all.....99.5% run blocking I am sure of it....

Stephen Parker said tonight that he was not versed in pass blocking while at the U of A.  He was cut Saturday by Miami but looks like he may get with the Bengals if everything goes right.

slopinhogs

ole Jackie was good in his day ,and is probably still a good man ,but if i were seeking advice i would want it to be from a current coach. this is as nice as i could put it.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: slopinhogs on September 04, 2007, 09:15:23 pm
ole Jackie was good in his day ,and is probably still a good man ,but if i were seeking advice i would want it to be from a current coach. this is as nice as i could put it.

He was never a "good man" he landed two separate programs on NCAA probation and screwed State into a hole so deep they may never get out.  They had a few good years and one trip to Atlanta to show for it but they have had 6 miserable losing seasons in a row including their own loss to 1-AA Maine, and are likely to add a 7th. 

I lived in Starkville for 10 years and know what a jack a$$ he is.

I will give him two things,

1.  He truly knows the value of special teams.  His FG and Punt units earned State several victories including the 1998 one over us.

2.  He did have a post game show where he took live calls, and it was a hoot.  People would call and give him $hit all the time.

He was b!tchin about the officials costing him a game one time and I called and asked him if the he wanted cheese with his wine.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hollywood_HOGan45

and how many championships did jackie sherril win in his career?

Its become pretty clear, balanced offenses win championships.

Hoggish1

bphi11ips

Championship teams almost ALWAYS have the ability to control the line of scrimmage and run the ball.  The run sets up the pass.  Throw in a sound kicking game and a great defense, and you have a winner.  That ain't changed since Knute Rockne.  It doesn't take Jackie Sherrill to point that out.  It doesn't take Frank Broyles, Kent Hatfield or Houston Nutt.  It is what it is.

Arkansas will win if it can run the ball, but it will win big games and championships IF IT WILL RECRUIT CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER QUARTERBACKS, KEEP THEM, AND PLAY SOUNDLY ON SPECIAL TEAMS.

Jeez - this isn't rocket science.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 04, 2007, 09:34:40 pm

Well he does have a West Division Ring.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

oldtimerhog

Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

brooks74

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 04, 2007, 10:35:54 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on September 04, 2007, 09:34:40 pm

And those are hard to get brotha!!
Well he does have a West Division Ring.

RazorsEdge

Did Jackie mention that stAte's ability to pass the ball (going 24 of 37 for 272 yards) kept them in the game?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hoggystyle43 on September 04, 2007, 08:43:14 pm
:razorback:  He says that Texas barely beat Ar State mainly because they have become a pass happy team!..He says hdn should run #5 and #25 til their tongues drag...then run em some more.....Also says running the ball wins championships! :razorback:

Interesting that 300 yds rushing against LSU at home last year did not get a win for the Hogs. The 3 of 17 passing game caused the loss.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

benswinesmoney

He won at MSU for crying out loud.  Duh....

It might have something to do with his penchant for cheating though.

DeltaBoy

When Jackie was winning back in the late 1980's you could still run over the SWC.  Jackie for gets they passed the ball to and quiet effectively unlike NUTTBOY!

Times have changes and NUTT has not!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BigDeal

Quote from: opineonswine on September 04, 2007, 08:51:50 pm
Jacque got run out of Stankyville for losing.  If I want to get "good" advice from a loser, I'll listen closer to DMW.

I think the record shows Jackie had a lot more success there than the current coaching staff. MSU is NOT a football school. Look what he did with Texas A & M. All I'm saying is that he has been around the block a time or two and his opinions should be valued. hype != success.

ceegar

Defense wins championships.  And a little luck I might add.  Florida had both last year.  Florida was not in the top 25 in any offense category last year.  But they were 6th in total defense.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

hammy davis jr

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 04, 2007, 11:10:46 pm

Interesting that 300 yds rushing against LSU at home last year did not get a win for the Hogs. The 3 of 17 passing game caused the loss. /quote]  If we would have run those 17 passing plays instead of throwing, especially the last series where D mac didnt even touch the ball, we may have won.  If you cant pass, just accept it and dont do it.

hogsrmyfav36

Great, was that what he was always writing on his clipboard?  No wonder he got fired.
F&*!NG INTRANET

budcampbellfan

Nobody says we shouldn't be a running team.  We just need to be able to pass also.  Nutt can't get it done.

JS cares nothing about Arkansas.  Likes JFB and will say whatever is to JS's own liking and advantage.  Not necessarily well balanced in his comments and doesn't mind spinning things.

Coaches will not honestly critique other coaches in public or even private conversations, rarely anyway.

I heard JS's interview.  Meaningless. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

hogtusk

Jimmy Johnson:  "There are two things you need to do to win a championship and that is:  run the ball and stop the run"

Jackie Sherrill and Jimmy Johnson are both ex-coaches but I think they know what they are talking about.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

budcampbellfan

Nobody says they don't KNOW what they are talking about.  It's what they SAY and how they say it that is questioned. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Jim Harris

Quote from: opineonswine on September 04, 2007, 08:55:19 pm

West Virginny's offense and ours look Nutt-n alike.

We're close when we run DMac at quarterback, tho.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

brooks74

Quote from: hogtusk on September 05, 2007, 09:57:00 am
Jimmy Johnson:  "There are two things you need to do to win a championship and that is:  run the ball and stop the run"

Jackie Sherrill and Jimmy Johnson are both ex-coaches but I think they know what they are talking about.

I don't think many would argue that we should abandon the run game and throw it 40-50 times a game, the problem is the lack of ANY threat of a passing game outside a swing pass or a screen to a back.

biggiepiggie

The last 3 years at Miss State Sherrill's teams couldn't pass a lick.  And their
running game wasn't too hot either.  He began to lose too many games and
got canned.  That said, he is still a very knowledgeable football analyst.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 04, 2007, 11:10:46 pm

Interesting that 300 yds rushing against LSU at home last year did not get a win for the Hogs. The 3 of 17 passing game caused the loss.

the 3-17 didn't help for sure, however the special teams breakdown (partially due to Grant being out) in allowing the KO return for a TD after we had gained momentum was probably just as big of a deciding factor....

NWASooner

Quote"There are two things you need to do to win a championship and that is:  run the ball and stop the run"

Last year the Minnesota Vikings had the #1 running game in the NFL and the #1 rush defense.  They didn't make the playoffs.  Football has evolved.

Excelling at either running or passing will get you a winning record.  Excelling at both wins championships.

Sanctified Swine

the point I was making about West Virginia, is that they have sold out to the run and have had tremendous success. I am not saying that our running game is similar. They run an entirely different set than us. But they do run, run and run some more. Ask Georgia about it...(in reference to the guy who said it wouldn't work in the Sec. Ask Tennessee about it (whom we RAN all over last year). Ask Auburn about it (from Talley to Mcfadden) we have run down there throats and made them like it.

on and on..

I have no problem with a run dominated offense. We do need to be able to threaten with pass to keep em honest (this is one of our biggest problems) I am not sure that guys like Mitch would have ever been happy with a run dominated offense, but there are guys out there that love to run at QB who can also kill you with an occasional well timed pass Alex Smith, Steven McGee, Tim Tebow, Pat White even, We need to recruit a guy who is more in that mold and steam roll people.

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: brooks74 on September 04, 2007, 08:48:55 pm
I have no problem with that if you have a passing game that is a threat to actually throw to someone besides a fullback, H-back or RB.  I have no problem with us being a running team with D-Mac, Jones, Smith and Hillis, it's dumb not to be.  BUT you have to have a qb that can throw the ball and be creative when you throw, in the routes you run, and who you throw to.  We don't have that, therefore defenses stack the box and as we get into the SEC, our running game will drag down and one, or all of our back will be worn out, nicked up or flat out injured.

SEC teams stacked the box last year.  Gosh, it killed our running game a year ago.

Oh, wait, what was i thinking?

Let them stack up in the box, DMac and Jones will just blow by them.  I am glad to see them do that.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

NWASooner

I seem to remember West Virginia running up and down the field against the SEC champ in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago.

Something tells me they'd do the same thing today.  That offense if fast, fast, fast.

brooks74

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on September 05, 2007, 11:04:20 am
the point I was making about West Virginia, is that they have sold out to the run and have had tremendous success. I am not saying that our running game is similar. They run an entirely different set than us. But they do run, run and run some more. Ask Georgia about it...(in reference to the guy who said it wouldn't work in the Sec. Ask Tennessee about it (whom we RAN all over last year). Ask Auburn about it (from Talley to Mcfadden) we have run down there throats and made them like it.

on and on..

I have no problem with a run dominated offense. We do need to be able to threaten with pass to keep em honest (this is one of our biggest problems) I am not sure that guys like Mitch would have ever been happy with a run dominated offense, but there are guys out there that love to run at QB who can also kill you with an occasional well timed pass Alex Smith, Steven McGee, Tim Tebow, Pat White even, We need to recruit a guy who is more in that mold and steam roll people.

My point was (I was the one who made the point) is that it will work some of the time in the SEC, but in the end it will get you beat 2-3 times a year when you have no passing threat, see LSU.  Again, for the third time, I am not arguing that we don't need to have a great running attack, I am arguing that without a legit passing game, we will never, never, never win the SEC, got to a BCS bowl or win a national championship.

RazorsEdge

Running the ball well is great, but wouldn't it be nice to have something to try if the other team has some success stopping the run?  Look at the Mississippi State game last year.  State had more offense (running and passing) than we did.  We were lucky to win that game.  When we played against teams with a physical defensive front, we had a tough time. 

It's like boxing.  A one-handed boxer can still win fights if the one hand is good enough and he has good defense, but when he comes up against someone who can handle that hand he will wish he had the other.

Jim Harris

Quote from: NWASooner on September 05, 2007, 11:03:44 am
Quote"There are two things you need to do to win a championship and that is:  run the ball and stop the run"

Last year the Minnesota Vikings had the #1 running game in the NFL and the #1 rush defense.  They didn't make the playoffs.  Football has evolved.

Excelling at either running or passing will get you a winning record.  Excelling at both wins championships.

They drafted Tarvaris Jackson and then started to play him late in the year at quarterback. That should tell you how gosh-awful their offense was.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson