6 South Carolina  (12)

SEC West
1 Arkansas   (2)
2 Alabama   (5)
3 Miss. St. (6)
4 Auburn   (9)
5 LSU    (10)
6 Ole Miss    (11)

I like Florida to repeat as SEC East champs.  We should win the West.  A toss up as to who is overall but I don't think it will be Tennessee despite Lofton returning.

Bomis Hawg

I expect the SEC West to be as competitive as last year.  But, all the teams will be a little better.
I think Vandy takes a step back.
South Carolina might be in the top 4 if the transfer pan out.
SECW is a crap-shoot, as it always is.  You probably could get away with switching Ole Miss and Auburn.

Hogtropolis™

I think that Florida will finish in front of Kentucky, Georgia will finish ahead of Vandy, and LSU will finish in front of Auburn and that is the only changes I would make to the predicted finishes next year.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Florida will have a host of new impact players.

Dont think UF wins the East. That will go to Tennessee.

And who the heck knows about the west.
We should be the favorite but you never know how the returning players will take to the new coach.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 16, 2007, 12:18:16 pm

We should be the favorite but you never know how the returning players will take to the new coach.

For some reason I believe Billy Donovan will have his freshmen performing enough to beat out Tennessee.  His previous bunch did it as sophomores...I think this one will do it as freshmen.  Maybe not the NCAA Title but at least the SEC East.

Mind you, I don't have any facts to back it up...just my gut feeling.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 16, 2007, 12:30:59 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 16, 2007, 12:18:16 pm

For some reason I believe Billy Donovan will have his freshmen performing enough to beat out Tennessee.  His previous bunch did it as sophomores...I think this one will do it as freshmen.  Maybe not the NCAA Title but at least the SEC East.

Mind you, I don't have any facts to back it up...just my gut feeling.
I don't expect Florida to fall far. They could easily be there in the end.

Don't count Auburn out, they will be better. Ole Miss is on the rise ( I love Andy Kennedy) , and it seems like Bama had a great recruiting class. The SEC W should be a toss up with us as the favorites.

jhudson84

Ole Miss has lost every key part that their team had, and Miss. St. with transfers and early entries are both going to fall hard. We may even win at the hump

cosmodrum

I'd flip Florida and KY jelly.

Billy will have those boys competing for the SECC next year, and the NC in the next 2-3 years. He is the best coach in the country, and I can imagine that the most talented guys are falling all over themselves to play for him. However, I don't keep up with Florida recruiting, so I might be talking outta my arse.  ;)
Go away, batin'

Pig Power

Can Pel have these Hogs winning on the road? If they can muster a .500 record away from BWA, they will run away with the West...

hawgwild1087

I think Alabama will be 3rd best behind Tennessee and Ark.  The only player they lose is Davidson, Steele will be healthy, and have   some pretty good recruits coming in, a shooting guard and a big guy to help with the loss of Davidson. 
The SEC West will be much better than it was last year, but I think we'll still come out on top.

justonefan

;D Ohhh, it's going to be a long summer.  I can't wait for October.

jbcarol

Kentucky's stock improved this PM with the signing of Patterson.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

msudawgs64

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 16, 2007, 01:47:22 pm
Ole Miss has lost every key part that their team had, and Miss. St. with transfers and early entries are both going to fall hard. We may even win at the hump

let's see..

Gordon is coming back.  No telling on Charles Rhodes, he has yet to pull his name out but Gordon has.  The Delks transferred but the two players who will take their place had better numbers last year in about the same amount of playing time.  The other transfers, Bernard Brimmer and Vernon Goodridge, addition by subtraction, both played minimial minutes and both put up minimal numbers.

Add Kodi Augustus, Ravern Johnson, and Elgin Bailey to the list of incoming freshman who will see playing time. 

We may not win the West but I don't think the transfers are going to effect us as much as some might think.  There is some solid players that will step in and take on the roles they had and also take their minutes.  I think we will be alright and ain't going to fall that hard.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

KentuckyFan

May 17, 2007, 03:40:27 am #14 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:42:10 am by KentuckyFan
Here is my early preview for the SEC.  Obviously things can change, players can become eligible, ineligible, some guys are still undecided on the draft, we could have transfers, suspensions or injuries as well, so it's REALLY early.  Anyway, here goes.  I put a slight prediction at the end based on where I think teams will end up and instead of ranking these teams by division, I ranked them 1-12 in the SEC.

1. Tennessee - My pick to win the SEC East, the SEC and maybe go to the Final Four.  If they get Tyler Smith eligible, they are the class of the SEC, and maybe one of the deepest teams in the last decade in this conference.  They have a 2-time SEC POY in Lofton, and 2 dynamic point guards in Prince and Ramar Smith.  JaJuan and Tyler Smith are both athletic wings who can play the 2 or the 3, and Crews and Chism will both be suitable enough on the inside.  Add in solid guys like Ryan Childress and Jordan Howell, there might not be enough shots to go around.  Oh, and freshman Cameron Tatum might stack up against anyone minus Lofton as far as shooting the ball the minute he steps onto campus.  NCAA LOCK.

2. Arkansas - The Hogs are the co-favorites in the SEC West, and probably slightly ahead of Alabama strictly based on this past year, where the Hogs were better overall and head to head against the Tide.  I see possible issues in the backcourt for Arkansas, will Stefan Welsh be consistent as a backup PG to Ervin?  NCAA LOCK.

3. Kentucky - Here is where things get a little biased, but my assessment of UK next season is going to be a poor-man's Tennessee.  Athletic as heck at the 1, 2 and 3 spots, but thin and small on the interior.  Patterson, Stevenson and Carter will be about all there is inside, so they will need to keep those guys healthy and productive, at the same time not taking fouling lessons from Randolph Morris.  I think UK has major upside though, their talent will be on par with the conference unlike the last few years, so we will see.  NCAA LOCK.

4. Alabama - We know the story with the Tide, they will go as far as Ronald Steele goes.  After a forgettable season last year, Steele and the Tide will need to rely heavily on Mykal Riley as a 3rd scorer, and need to replace Jermareo Davidson.  However, with better depth this season and 2 potential SEC 1st-team guys, the Tide will be in the thick of things.  NCAA LOCK.

5. LSU - Believe it or not, LSU is going to be better without Glen Davis.  They should have a better backcourt, and with Anthony Randolph coming in and the improvement of Magnum Rolle and Chris Johnson, their frontcourt will be athletic again.  Still issues at point guard, but remember that game late last year against Florida, the Tigers will be very athletic and can really defend.  NCAA BUBBLE.

6. Florida - It's going to be a different year for the Gators, a year that should be frustrating but fun.  Mareesse Speights will establish himself as the next great big man at Florida, and despite losing depth, the Gators will have a team who should be able to shoot the basketball.  Calathes, Hodge and Lucas will provide nice backcourt production, the question is going to come at the forward positions, lots of unproven players there.  Jonathan Mitchell, Alex Tyus, Dan Werner, who will step up?  NCAA BUBBLE.

7. Georgia - Ah, the Dawgs.  This team is one that could go any which direction.  Depending on Mike Mercer's recovery from an ACL tear, the Dawgs could be very formittable.  Mercer, Takais Brown and Sundiata Gaines form a very nice trio, and guys like Billy Humphrey, Albert Jackson, Terrance Woodbury and Rashaad Singleton will give them nice athletic depth.  They also add another big guy in Jeremy Price, so UGA could have a very nice frontcourt.  They lose Levi Stukes, so their biggest struggle will be scoring from the perimeter.  NCAA BUBBLE.

8. Mississippi State - Depending on NBA draft stock, MSU could be right there with the Rebs, or another NCAA bubble team.  They can survive without the Delk twins, but they need both Gordon and Rhodes back, and improvements from Barry Stewart into a consistent 3rd scorer.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

9. Vanderbilt - Vandy won't be as good as a year ago, but I can see them sneaking an NCAA bid.  Shan Foster and Alex Gordon form one of the SEC's best backcourts, and Ross Neltner is a solid all-around player.  George Drake and Jermaine Beal will have the task of replacing the production from Dan Cage and the all-world Derrick Byars, while Alan Metcalfe and Davis Nwankwo will need to eat up some minutes on the interior.  Stallings is a good coach, you know he will get the maximum out of these guys.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

10. Auburn - This team is going to be a darkhorse.  I don't think they have enough to make an NCAA Tourney run, but they really had a quiet 7-9 conference season a year ago, and besides Andy Kennedy, Jeff Lebo probably did the best "coaching job."  Like Arky, Auburn has pretty much the same team returning.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

11. South Carolina - I see USC sort of having an Auburn-like season next year.  They do bring in more talent than they lose, and that is tough considering they lost 2 very good players in Tre Kelley and Brandon Wallace.  Their young guys quietly produced last season, and Devan Downey will resume right where Kelley left off.  NIT BUBBLE.

12. Mississippi - The clear SEC bottom feeder.  I look for the Rebels to struggle to win 3 conference games.  They had a decent team a year ago, but lost their 4 top players and nearly 90% of their scoring.  NO POSTSEASON.

BigDave70

Quote from: KentuckyFan on May 17, 2007, 03:40:27 am
Here is my early preview for the SEC.  Obviously things can change, players can become eligible, ineligible, some guys are still undecided on the draft, we could have transfers, suspensions or injuries as well, so it's REALLY early.  Anyway, here goes.  I put a slight prediction at the end based on where I think teams will end up and instead of ranking these teams by division, I ranked them 1-12 in the SEC.

1. Tennessee - My pick to win the SEC East, the SEC and maybe go to the Final Four.  If they get Tyler Smith eligible, they are the class of the SEC, and maybe one of the deepest teams in the last decade in this conference.  They have a 2-time SEC POY in Lofton, and 2 dynamic point guards in Prince and Ramar Smith.  JaJuan and Tyler Smith are both athletic wings who can play the 2 or the 3, and Crews and Chism will both be suitable enough on the inside.  Add in solid guys like Ryan Childress and Jordan Howell, there might not be enough shots to go around.  Oh, and freshman Cameron Tatum might stack up against anyone minus Lofton as far as shooting the ball the minute he steps onto campus.  NCAA LOCK.

2. Arkansas - The Hogs are the co-favorites in the SEC West, and probably slightly ahead of Alabama strictly based on this past year, where the Hogs were better overall and head to head against the Tide.  I see possible issues in the backcourt for Arkansas, will Stefan Welsh be consistent as a backup PG to Ervin?  NCAA LOCK.

3. Kentucky - Here is where things get a little biased, but my assessment of UK next season is going to be a poor-man's Tennessee.  Athletic as heck at the 1, 2 and 3 spots, but thin and small on the interior.  Patterson, Stevenson and Carter will be about all there is inside, so they will need to keep those guys healthy and productive, at the same time not taking fouling lessons from Randolph Morris.  I think UK has major upside though, their talent will be on par with the conference unlike the last few years, so we will see.  NCAA LOCK.

4. Alabama - We know the story with the Tide, they will go as far as Ronald Steele goes.  After a forgettable season last year, Steele and the Tide will need to rely heavily on Mykal Riley as a 3rd scorer, and need to replace Jermareo Davidson.  However, with better depth this season and 2 potential SEC 1st-team guys, the Tide will be in the thick of things.  NCAA LOCK.

5. LSU - Believe it or not, LSU is going to be better without Glen Davis.  They should have a better backcourt, and with Anthony Randolph coming in and the improvement of Magnum Rolle and Chris Johnson, their frontcourt will be athletic again.  Still issues at point guard, but remember that game late last year against Florida, the Tigers will be very athletic and can really defend.  NCAA BUBBLE.

6. Florida - It's going to be a different year for the Gators, a year that should be frustrating but fun.  Mareesse Speights will establish himself as the next great big man at Florida, and despite losing depth, the Gators will have a team who should be able to shoot the basketball.  Calathes, Hodge and Lucas will provide nice backcourt production, the question is going to come at the forward positions, lots of unproven players there.  Jonathan Mitchell, Alex Tyus, Dan Werner, who will step up?  NCAA BUBBLE.

7. Georgia - Ah, the Dawgs.  This team is one that could go any which direction.  Depending on Mike Mercer's recovery from an ACL tear, the Dawgs could be very formittable.  Mercer, Takais Brown and Sundiata Gaines form a very nice trio, and guys like Billy Humphrey, Albert Jackson, Terrance Woodbury and Rashaad Singleton will give them nice athletic depth.  They also add another big guy in Jeremy Price, so UGA could have a very nice frontcourt.  They lose Levi Stukes, so their biggest struggle will be scoring from the perimeter.  NCAA BUBBLE.

8. Mississippi State - Depending on NBA draft stock, MSU could be right there with the Rebs, or another NCAA bubble team.  They can survive without the Delk twins, but they need both Gordon and Rhodes back, and improvements from Barry Stewart into a consistent 3rd scorer.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

9. Vanderbilt - Vandy won't be as good as a year ago, but I can see them sneaking an NCAA bid.  Shan Foster and Alex Gordon form one of the SEC's best backcourts, and Ross Neltner is a solid all-around player.  George Drake and Jermaine Beal will have the task of replacing the production from Dan Cage and the all-world Derrick Byars, while Alan Metcalfe and Davis Nwankwo will need to eat up some minutes on the interior.  Stallings is a good coach, you know he will get the maximum out of these guys.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

10. Auburn - This team is going to be a darkhorse.  I don't think they have enough to make an NCAA Tourney run, but they really had a quiet 7-9 conference season a year ago, and besides Andy Kennedy, Jeff Lebo probably did the best "coaching job."  Like Arky, Auburn has pretty much the same team returning.  NIT/NCAA BUBBLE.

11. South Carolina - I see USC sort of having an Auburn-like season next year.  They do bring in more talent than they lose, and that is tough considering they lost 2 very good players in Tre Kelley and Brandon Wallace.  Their young guys quietly produced last season, and Devan Downey will resume right where Kelley left off.  NIT BUBBLE.

12. Mississippi - The clear SEC bottom feeder.  I look for the Rebels to struggle to win 3 conference games.  They had a decent team a year ago, but lost their 4 top players and nearly 90% of their scoring.  NO POSTSEASON.
I like that
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Conway Cool Daddy

Good Job Kfan.

Man, when you look at the league as a whole it very impressive. The SEC is just darn tough all the way down to the bottom.

Pignominious

I would MSU at 5, UGA at 6, UF 7, LSU 8.  There reallly isn't that much drop off from top to bottom.  The winner of the leage this year will probably be the first to 12.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

jhudson84

bd93

May 17, 2007, 09:38:00 pm #20 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:39:45 pm by bd93
Is it basketball season yet?

I"m frickin' pumped! :razorback: :razorback:

KentuckyFan

I agree with others, after my clear top 4, I think it really is a wash from 5-10.  I am obviously higher on LSU than others are, I think their athleticism will give them a chance to dominate at any moment.  Mississippi State is a team who could be very good or very bad, they have the most to prove from here on out.  As for Florida, at this point it's really hard to justify any argument that puts them higher than 5, they simply lost too much.