Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

At the Age of 20 which one was better? Ronald C. Brewer -vs- Ronnie Brewer

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 11, 2007, 08:37:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

A lot of fans including I have never witnessed "Boot" play 30 full seconds other than a few still photos...so will the old schoolers chime in?

6'4 180lbs 19.4 ppg -vs- 6'7 220lbs 18.4 ppg
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

LJHOG

TMc

Nothing against Ronnie Jr..., but he couldn't hold his dad's jock strap.. period!.

mountainhog

Hogtropolis™

Too young to have watched his dad play, but Ronnie can flat out score whether he can shoot or not.  From what I have heard though Ron wasn't a slouch when it came to score, plus he could shoot lights out.

I know when Ronnie wants to, he can play D with the best of them.  How was Ron on D?

TMc

Boot could pick your pocket and be off down the floor to dunk the basketball before the opposing guard even knew what hit him.., again nothing bad about Ronnie Jr.., but he is no where close to being as good as his dad.

hview

Ronnie Jr was a good player, but his Dad was an amazing player and I don't think Arkansas has ever three players on the floor at the same time that were better than the triplets. I wish we had some video of those guys.   

TMc

I will never forget Ron Sr. taking that turn around jumper against Notre Dame with time running out in the consolation game in 78.  He was money.., he could take players in the lane and make some incredible shots.  I agree with hview.., Marvin, Sidney, and Brewer were awesome to watch.  I remember most of Marvin Delph's shots were taken in the deep corner falling out of bounds.., he seldom missed.  If there was a 3 point line then .., no telling how many points he would have had.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

oldfart

Ron Sr. without a doubt. One of the smoothest players I ever saw. In fact some thought he wasnt playing hard because it was so effortless to him.  One of the greatest clutch players in BB history.  Ronnie has him on height but thats about all.

Lanlord

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 12, 2007, 11:56:21 pm
Wow I had no idea Ron was that good....

Thus the expectations for Jr.  He had some big shoes to fill.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Lanlord on May 13, 2007, 10:46:06 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 12, 2007, 11:56:21 pm
Wow I had no idea Ron was that good....

Thus the expectations for Jr.  He had some big shoes to fill.

I feel sorry for Scottie Pippen's nephew...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mword

Boarcephus

I remember the Boothead when I lived in Ft. Smith and he went to Northside and played for Kaundart.  Playground legend.   Effortlessly described his game....made everything look easy and could score as much as he wanted.  When he was traded to San Antonio, he filled in for George Gervin when the Iceman was injured.  All Brewer did was hang 40+ the half dozen games he subbed for Gervin.   Prettiest jumpshot ever seen on the hill
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

1962hoops

Both were great players but Boothead was able to do it all.Everyone knows how clutch Sidney Moncrief was but if I remember right when the triplets were together it was Brewer who usually took the clutch shot.It is amazing to think back now how much talent was on the floor in those days.

Juboar

I watched them both.  In fairness to Jr. he didn't have the triplets to back him up.

He also drew double teams and the best defender available each game.

If you tried to shut down Sr. then Delph or Moncreif would bury you. 

Both great players-  Boothead from the top of the key was the best.

snoblind

SR.

I also saw him play at Northside, will always remember a game against Parkview with Dexter Reed (I think that was his name, played at Memphis) when he was a junior which was one the of most awesome shooting duels I have ever seen to this day.  Boot and NHS won 90 something to 90 something.