Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Somewhere Billy Packer is doing backflips

Started by Ross U (HDHF), May 04, 2007, 12:24:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross U (HDHF)

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10165874

I know it's been mentioned before in here, but moving the three point line from 19' 9" to 20' 9" is almost certainly going to happen in 2008.  Anyone think that this will help zone teams and hurt the mid-majors?

mbgrulz

if its 19'9" on one end, it is 19'9" on the other end. why change it?

the %ages from the 3 point line are still the same. the best team in the land shot 42.7% this season. in 2002, they shot 42.4%.

casual fans who have never seriously played (like skip bayless) are whinning that it is just a little chip shot. i'd like to see little skip get out there and hit a jumpshot from 20 feet with a guy right in his face.

i believe that the best basketball is not played in the united states, and i guess if it gets us closer to what the italy's of the world have, then so be it. i am a basketball purist though, and i don't like changing it in any way.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 04, 2007, 02:30:03 pm

the %ages from the 3 point line are still the same. the best team in the land shot 42.7% this season. in 2002, they shot 42.4%.

casual fans who have never seriously played (like skip bayless) are whinning that it is just a little chip shot. i'd like to see little skip get out there and hit a jumpshot from 20 feet with a guy right in his face.

i believe that the best basketball is not played in the united states, and i guess if it gets us closer to what the italy's of the world have, then so be it. i am a basketball purist though, and i don't like changing it in any way.

I think your last few sentences are the main reason for this.  20'9" is the same as international, and I think they're hoping that it'll make us more competitive with other countries.

mbgrulz

heck, let's throw in the trapeziod land and allow players to knock the ball off of the rim while we're at it.

i have one question, and maybe it's just because i'm an american homer. why do we (who invented bball) have to play by the foreign rules during int'l competition? i guess one could argue that they play a game closer to the original blueprint of bball.

bd93

I don't think that it will be that much of a difference for the college players to step back 1 foot to shot the 3 ball.

hawgfan80

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on May 04, 2007, 12:24:12 pm
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10165874

I know it's been mentioned before in here, but moving the three point line from 19' 9" to 20' 9" is almost certainly going to happen in 2008.  Anyone think that this will help zone teams and hurt the mid-majors?

The only way it hurts mid-majors is it opens up the inside game a little more. The major conference schools typically have bigger, more talented inside players. But, mid-majors traditionally have better ball movement and set offenses, and better shooters, instead of relying on athletes. So, opening up more space to run your offense will help mid-majors.

PorcineSublime

If you were truly a BB purist, you would hate the three point line. Kind of like astroturf.  ;)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

mbgrulz

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 06, 2007, 08:32:42 am

If you were truly a BB purist, you would hate the three point line. Kind of like astroturf.  ;)
considering i was born in the early 80's basketball without a 3 point line has never existed to me. i knew someone would say that though.