Previous topic - Next topic

HawgG

assistant coach to the Pelphrey staff.

He is very familiar to the coach.

CLICK ME TO GET TO KNOW ME

neahogfan180

HawgG

harmonyhog

Was with JP at USA. Just heard on DTS. Would guess that JP was turned down by several and Issac was his ace in the hole.

Hogtropolis™

Well at least we have a full staff now.  Hope he does a good job.

southern hawg

May 03, 2007, 06:01:16 pm #6 Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 12:08:56 am by southern hawg
A Mississippi native, between him and Evans we should have an excellent shot at any future recruits from the area.  In fact we should have about the entire gulf coast covered.

demonHOG1013

slopinhogs

welcome aboard Coach Brown. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

The Boar War

I hate to second guess but I'm not sure about bringing all the USA guys over.  Not sure this is the hire we needed.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: The Boar War on May 03, 2007, 08:46:36 pm
I hate to second guess but I'm not sure about bringing all the USA guys over.  Not sure this is the hire we needed.

We have like 1000 assistants. We will be fine.

bd93

I don't think it was a bad move.

I would have liked to of had to got a big time name, that is recognizable by recruits.

Razor6

Haven't seen this topic explode yet....

Must not be a huge hit?
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

bd93

I think this is kinda of a good move be Pel.

I like the fact that he seems to have some connections along the Gulf Coast.

The one thing that I don't like about the hire, is his name is not recognizable by recruits.  Not a huge name, like a former NBA player.

Kilgor

Quote from: southern hawg on May 03, 2007, 06:01:16 pm
A Mississippi native, between him and Barnes we should have an excellent shot at any future recruits from the area.  In fact we should have about the entire gulf coast covered.

Barnes?  Evans.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

chiefsfan

If it wasnt for Rod Evans the average age of this staff would be mid to late 30's

Hopefully they bring energy and get this program back to where it was
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mbgrulz

being a MS native, he has value in that alone. so many good players are coming from that state. as long as we can swoop into the DFW, louisiana, MS, & memphis areas, and keep all the major instate talent, then we will be good to go.

hogsmaster

Actually, I am a little disappointed in the hire.  May be wrong, but seems like he was a fallback choice.

HawgG

WOW I reported this news at 3:35 this afternoon.

Oh well I guess that's why I'm the best.

HawgG

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 03, 2007, 09:26:50 pm

You might want to change to a new avatar with how sorry Dirk played at Golden State tonight.

Tomhog™

I'm surprised at this hire.  Why did he hire two former assistants then another weeks later?  He's not a big name and doesn't sound like a recruiting dynamo, either.  Maybe he was option B or C for Pelphrey.  This definitely isn't the 'homerun' I was expecting in the final spot...

cosmodrum

Quote from: HawgG on May 04, 2007, 12:03:51 am
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 03, 2007, 09:26:50 pm

You might want to change to a new avatar with how sorry Dirk played at Golden State tonight.

Oooo...that hurts.
Go away, batin'

PigWig

I think Pelphrey has done well in assembling his staff. I'm more excited about College BBall this year, than I have been in years.

The Hog Blogger

Good deal.  Let's get started. 

Anyone have a link for that?

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: hogsmaster on May 03, 2007, 11:27:19 pm
Actually, I am a little disappointed in the hire.  May be wrong, but seems like he was a fallback choice.

I tend to agree, but he was our third assistant hired.  Numbers 1, and 2 were huge, especially getting
a coach of Evans caliber to mentor Pelphrey on his transition to the SEC.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hoggystyle78

I'm ready to tip it off !!! Welcome to Arkansas coach Brown.

HawgG

This assistant hire was suppose to be the young buck recruiter, the go getter, the person that with his name along would be recognized by prospects.

There is no way that Pelphrey would have taken this long to name this guy if he did not get turned downed by other candidates.

He had bigger dreams but signing coaches is like recruiting and obviously his sales pitch was not good enough.

HawgG

Quote from: donewithdale on May 04, 2007, 01:33:20 pm
Quote from: HawgG on May 04, 2007, 11:37:09 am
This assistant hire was suppose to be the young buck recruiter, the go getter, the person that with his name along would be recognized by prospects.

There is no way that Pelphrey would have taken this long to name this guy if he did not get turned downed by other candidates.

He had bigger dreams but signing coaches is like recruiting and obviously his sales pitch was not good enough.

I thought his first hire was the recruiter.
Tom Ostrom is his No.1 guy that does a little bit of everything like you find on every team.

The 4th coach strongest attribute is suppose to be his recruiting ability.

Most prefer a young guy that eats, drinks, and sleeps recruiting and if he can't do anything else that is fine because that is not why he is on the staff.

If Coach Brown is the guy then all I say is go get em.

dotnet

You can't name the fourth coach on any team except for maybe Duke.  This guy wasn't going to be a guy with name recognition no matter what.

mbgrulz

there are so many great coaches just dying to be the 4th man down on the food chain. i'm surprised we couldn't do better. (sarcasm)

i'm just dang glad it wasn't some loser like todd day. at least this guy does have experience.

i agree that coach p likely did get turned down by a coach or 2, but this guy won't be the worst thing that happened to us. honestly, like dotnet said, who cares who the 3rd assistant is? as long as he can recruit, then he can go take a nap during practice.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kilgor

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 04, 2007, 03:04:05 pm
Great Hire  :razorback:

I am ambivalent on this hire, but on what basis do you say great hire?
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

HawgG

Quote from: dotnet on May 04, 2007, 02:23:38 pm
You can't name the fourth coach on any team except for maybe Duke.  This guy wasn't going to be a guy with name recognition no matter what.
Quote from: mbgrulz on May 04, 2007, 02:36:12 pm
there are so many great coaches just dying to be the 4th man down on the food chain. i'm surprised we couldn't do better. (sarcasm)

i'm just dang glad it wasn't some loser like todd day. at least this guy does have experience.

i agree that coach p likely did get turned down by a coach or 2, but this guy won't be the worst thing that happened to us. honestly, like dotnet said, who cares who the 3rd assistant is? as long as he can recruit, then he can go take a nap during practice.

Guys don't shoot the message as I was just writing what I heard or saw.

You won't find 1 write up from me about who I would prefer to have been hired as an assistant coach.

I do what I always do and that's bring the facts.There was a large internet contengent that wanted a Todd Day or a former player that would bring serious name recognition to the Arkansas program.

Coach Pelphrey himself laid out there that his last hire would be someone that the fans would get excited about when hired.Kinda reminds you of what Frank said when looking for a new basketball coach.

Like I said he probably got turned downed for whatever reason, but him falling back to Coach Brown is not a bad thing.

The most important thing is that Coach Pelphrey knows this guy and what he will bring to the program everyday.

BTW dotnet you said that I can't name the 4th coach on any team except Duke. Actually I don't know who is Duke's 4th coach, however I can name these guys in the SEC;

Florida- Lewis Owen
Georgia- Mike Jones
Tenn- Jason Shay
Kentucky- Cyprien
Ole Miss- Owen Miller
LSU- Ryan Edwards
Alabama- Kobie Baker
MSU- Marcus Grant

oldfart

like many of you i was expecting some "blockbuster" or "shooting star"...   however looks like he does have good contacts in some of those florida JC's which have provided some pretty good players over the years. Lets give the guy (and Pelphrey) a chance.  I would suspect that they want to fill some of those 8 or so schollies next year with some JC;s who can contribute immediately to sorta balance out the schollies and not get into this situation where almost everyone on the team is in the same class.....

Bomis Hawg

It's a good hire in the fact that most of these guys will be around together with Pelphrey as long as he is at Arkansas.  Except Evans.

Bomis Hawg

I can't hate on a former ULM Warhawk.
Welcome to THE BUD, Coach Brown.

rocksalt

I bet Pelphrey can develop assistants as well as players. Coach Brown is not a big name YET, but his first step is right here.

Welcome Aboard Coach Brown !   We're here for you !
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

stronguard

Here is your first shot at the bigtime.  Grab it and run with it Coach Brown.  What you do in your first 2 years will determine what you are in the next 10.  Put forth the effort and reap the rewards.  Good luck, and let's play some Hawgball.  WPS
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

justonefan

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on May 04, 2007, 11:05:24 am

I tend to agree, but he was our third assistant hired.  Numbers 1, and 2 were huge, especially getting
a coach of Evans caliber to mentor Pelphrey on his transition to the SEC.

I agree also, otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long to hire someone he was already so familiar with.  The good things I see in this is that the guy is already familiar with Pelphrey's system and I look for the staff to be able to work together real well.

DeltaBoy

Welcome  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgsav1

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Blevohog24

Quote from: HawgG on May 03, 2007, 03:35:17 pm
assistant coach to the Pelphrey staff.

He is very familiar to the coach.

CLICK ME TO GET TO KNOW ME

I'm disappointed in this hire.  Hiring Todd Day after Evans would have been the exclaimation point to this coaching staff.  Now, we get USAlabama revisited.   

hawgtime

had to be or why would Pelphrey have waited a month ( or was it longer ) to make the announcement?

go hogs... and GET BUSY!!!!!