Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Speaks

Started by Squealers, April 08, 2007, 06:40:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

menehune

Quote from: vtpig on April 08, 2007, 08:10:29 pm
Quote from: hogwater on April 08, 2007, 07:41:49 pm
Nolan Who?
1994 NCAA National Champions (Only major sport in school history. 1964 doesn't count), 1995 NCAA Runner-up..soldout BWA etc.......
Yes it does - I was there!!!  Don't diminish what they accomplished just because it was a divided championship!  We WERE the only undefeated team after all games had been played!  We WERE awarded the Grantland Rice Trophy!  Not up for debate!  You don't have to put down something else to build up the Nolan years.  They were wonderful, but both National Championships are in the past.  And remember - it is better to be a has been than a never was!

Lanlord

Well, what did Nolan have to say?

RocktheBob

I realize many of you people are tired of the "what if" excuses, but Nolan would STILL be the coach today if 1 very possible thing would have happened:  If Joe Johnson would have stayed one more year.  Sure Joe was ready to go at the time, but so were at least 2 of Florida's big 4 in 2006.  Nolan's collection of rants were not Arkansas-related so much as Board-related and even more so LOSS-related - losing was the thing that made him go mental.  But think of the domino effect if Joe stays: Arkansas, finally in the clear of sanctions (something people forget that Nolan had to deal with during those later lean years) goes about 22, 23 games with a W and makes the tourney.  Nolan is moderately happy and says little that's contraversial, keeping the board, FB, and rednecks focused on HDN.  Sullinger (who at OSU was a huge part of ruining Illinois perfect season a couple of years ago) stays, Iguodala comes to UA, Damario Eddins, an awesome Todd Day type player for Mike Anderson who helped MA beat #1 UK in the 2005 tourney (demolished his ankle his senior year and probably missed out on a potential NBA run), also comes to Arkansas like he was supposed to, and before you can say, "But Nolan hates FB, the Board, and rednecks," Arkansas is about #4 in the nation and no one gives a crap who he doesn't like and what weird thing he says, which wouldn't be near as venomous anyway because he is winning all the time.  Nolan then retires perhaps last year after a couple more runs at the final four, and easily replacing the legend (which is something only very few schools get to EVER have as a coach - and UA had 2....maybe its last 2) is Mike Anderson, who instead of knocking UK out of the tourney, going to the S16, and knocking No. 1s like John Crap-a-Ferry's Memphis off their perch as the coach of lowly UAB, he picks up where Nolan left off, except with a better attitude and perhaps equal skillz.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda - but there were sanctions and departures that would have saved Nolan from himself, and the rest of us from.....Pelphrey, and from about 15 or more years of searching for a return to "decent-hood" in BBall (see UNLV after the Shark).  Scoff at Nolan as you wish, but the "CURSE OF NOLAN" will be evident for a very long time for both post-DMac football and basketball....you watch.

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 08, 2007, 06:49:42 pm
I wish Mike would make channel 5 quit doing these interviews.  Who cares what he has to say?  People seem to forget the years from 98 - '02.  He sucked at recruiting and hated living in Fayetteville. 

Quote from: HairyHog on April 08, 2007, 09:07:57 pm
Will he ever just GO AWAY?

I hope not. We need Nolan Richardson around if for no other reason to aggravate the unreconstructed rednecks in our fan base who helped run him off.

Jimmy

Quote from: HOG71 on April 08, 2007, 08:00:18 pm
I miss being called t*rds and redneck s.o.b's

Don't forget a** holes.

snoot hoggy hog

Nolan doesn't sound like the hate spewing racist bitter s.o.b. that everybody is making him out to be.  At least not in this interview.
http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6341668

Former Arkansas coach offers his opinion

April 8, 2007 11:25 PM EDT

Nolan Richardson was on the inside of Razorback basketball for 17 seasons, so he sat down with 5news to give his opinion on the hiring of a new head coach.

"I've always said that all sickness is not death," said former head basketball coach, Nolan Richardson.

Which is why Richardson says a program of the U of A's stature won't always be down in the doldrums.

He believes the program's prestige is enough to attract national attention, and perhaps, garner a viable coach.

"The University of Arkansas, in my mind, is one of the top 10 jobs in the country," said Richardson.

"And, when we find that right coach, we'll be ready to back him up," said Brandon Chandler, an avid U of A follower.

He says, he along with many others are looking forward to reeling in a good coach.

Because, around here, its about tradition.

"Arkansas has the best fans around, I truly believe that," said Chandler.

"The fans as I've always said are the greatest fans in the country," said Richardson."And all you have to do is win."

"The best fans bar none are Arkansas fans, we're pig suii," said Chandler.

That's why Nolan says the recent coaching woes the university has undergone, shouldn't hinder them when it comes to bringing in the right guy.

But, he maintains that whoever he is, he has to be the right guy for the job.

"You just can't go out and get any coach and make him fit," said Richardson. "He's got be in my estimation, a person who fits the bill as a Razorback basketball coach."

High Octane Hog

People that say Nolan Richardson needs to go away really have no clue. Arkansas would not have a national championship without him. You can not be a realist to believe that any other coach could have been hired after Sutton that could have taken this program to the next level. Nolan was an up and comer at the time and the perfect fit. Sutton was in his day the same up and comer. Stan was also, but his style of play was his downfall. Pelphrey brings back the style the fans love. Without Nolan the Self's, Gillespie's, Calipari's and Majerus's would laugh at this job. Wonder what it would be like without Nolan? Wonder if we could even attract Pelphrey had it not been for Nolan?

Bring Back Heath

Quote from: heater on April 08, 2007, 07:14:53 pm
We really shouldn't care what he has to say. He is obviously going to be biased against JFB and the program. Do you think he would sing our praises if someone came in and returned us to prominence and won a NC?

In fact, I think listening to Nolan is like listening to JFB... they were great in their day, but have run their course and have their own agendas to protect. At least JFB still has some obligation to the UA... Nolan will bash us every chance he gets.

I loved watching his teams back then, and wish it didn't end the way it did... but it did, and I will choose the program over Nolans opinion everyday of the week.
Well by this reasoning, should we not care what every anti-nutt person has to stay because of their personal hate for the man on here? 

Also, remember these comments by Nolan were made in the weeks and months during a bad year and while his horses were being shot in cold blood for no reason.  And the comments he said, Paul Eels supported his claims in the trial that he was discriminated against.  Food for thought there

3kgthog

It's ok if you like Nolan. It's simply painful for some people to accept that maybe he was indeed telling the truth. It's completely believable that he was treated differently as evidenced by the drama we are now seeing. It's not like Nolan is bashing the entire Razorback family anyway. He is bashing Frank Broyles. Unless you are a JFB loyalist you can't deny that what Nolan has been saying is true.

Like Bring Back Heath said, if Paul Eells, who is the most untouchable man of character in UA history, took Nolan's side then what does that say? Nolan slacked off at his job. I'll give you that. But it's wrong to crucify him because he is willing to lay out the truth about JFB. I believe Nolan truly does love the Razorbacks deep down in his heart. His daughter died here. He won a title here. He will essentially retire for good here. His only problem is he didn't get along with Frank Broyles for 15 years and everything eventually blew up when he couldn't take anymore.

Spiral_cut

When nolan speaks, I do not listen...

PowderedToastMan

Nolan had some good things to say.  I am glad we had him at the UofA for the time that he was here.

But, he pretty much quit coaching after 1996.  He had a few good recruits after that point(Joe Johnson, Sullinger, Iggy), but for the most part it was all down hill.  If he would not have had that outburst at the press conference talking about his grandfather coming over on the ship, among other things, he could have stayed a few more seasons and let Mike Anderson take over.  We would have named the court after Nolan, and hung a banner from the rafters.
As far as I am concerned, he dug his own grave.  He said the UofA could buy him out tomorrow, they did buy him out a few days later, and then he sues the UofA for firing him because of his race.  In my book, he said he didn't want to be here anymore. 
Now, I am glad he is gone.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Hogchick

Quote from: BigfootedHog on April 08, 2007, 09:14:06 pm
Nolan is a racist and I hate a racist

Nolan is NOT a racist.   He may be a lot of things, but racist is not one of them.

Justme

Nolan was tolerating Broyles and his ways long before anyone was paying attention.  No, he didn't win his lawsuit, but he did win a war.  When a federal judge notes that Broyles was untruthful in some of his testimony, we should have all paid a lot more attention.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Bring Back Heath on April 09, 2007, 01:38:25 am
Also, remember these comments by Nolan were made in the weeks and months during a bad year and while his horses were being shot in cold blood for no reason.  And the comments he said, Paul Eels supported his claims in the trial that he was discriminated against.  Food for thought there
Nolan's horses were not being shot.  Nolan had one horse that was shot, and it was not an outside job.  That is why it suddenly went away and Nolan doesn't rail about it to this day.

I thought Nolan was a great hire, and it was time for him to go when he was fired.  I do find it ironic that Nolan has so much more praise for the fans now than he did while he was our coach.

As to Frank and Nolan, both of them stated that they only talked once a year - during the annual review.  I don't think either of them was looking to improve that situation.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Hogchick on April 09, 2007, 07:31:55 am
Quote from: BigfootedHog on April 08, 2007, 09:14:06 pm
Nolan is a racist and I hate a racist
Nolan is NOT a racist.   He may be a lot of things, but racist is not one of them.
Why did Nolan attack the SEC Tournament press corps with:  "I look around this room and I don't see anyone who look like me, talk like me"?

HairyHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 08, 2007, 09:21:01 pm
Nolan shouldn't go away until Frank is out of the picture, UA hoops is mended, and we can honor the good he did by renaming the court at BWA in his honor. Let UA and Nolan make peace--the issue was Frank. Well, enough of the issue for me to blame the old White Haired Devil.

I will always be a Nolan Richardson fan.

OK  Name something for him, but not the court,  then get him out of here.  How about one of the janitor closets or one of the men's restroom stalls?