Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin Hinted...............................

Started by redbarn, April 04, 2007, 10:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: RazorZach on April 04, 2007, 11:14:59 pm
Has BG still not "officially" signed his new approved contract? I'm thinking he has, but was still unsure. I know he has been waiting on the UK job as well, but if that's the case you would think the A&M fans wouldn't be too receptive of such a long holdout. Plus I don't really think the U of A would crawl back to BG after the way he left Arkansas blowing in the wind after we fired Stan.

But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures.

No, BG hasn't signed anything yet.

RazorZach

I've definitely comed to expect the worse as well. I know our time for BG has come and past, so I won't mention him any more after this post (knock on wood). But if I were the A&M fans I would be extremely pi$$ed that he has strung them out for this long. I think the A&M PTB should just tell him every day he waits to sign the contract he loses something. For example, if he doesn't sign by tomorrow, move the groundbreaking for the new practice facility until the end of next year. He waits another day cut $100,000 from his contract. And so on, and so on. I think he would get the point. But I think the A&M fans know they don't have much of a choice and have to let him pull the proverbial puppet strings to the whole situation.
"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

"Is this hotel beeper friendly?" -- Alan from "The Hangover" (and Houston Nutt)

"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." -- Michael Scott, "The Office"

sylvia

Quote from: playboy on April 04, 2007, 11:24:09 pm
Quote from: sylvia on April 04, 2007, 11:20:55 pm
Quote from: hoghogg on April 04, 2007, 11:01:36 pm
Is the Ole Miss coach in the picture?  I have not heard that but he is a darn good coach.  But he is a Mississippi native though.
Can someone fill me on the Ole Miss Coach and how long he has been there because they weren't all that great this past season were they?

actually, in Kennedy's first season, they won 20 games this year (tied for 1st in the west) after posting 4 consecutive losing seasons, with very little talent.  kennedy came from Cincinnati where he was an assistant for Bob Huggins.  He took over as an interim coach there two years ago when Huggins got in trouble and did a real good job.  Could have been retained by Cincy but they wanted a clean break from huggins.  Kennedy is a Mississippi native.

Thanks..

casken

Quote from: hoginsanfran on April 04, 2007, 10:45:23 pm
CALIPARI WILL BE NAMED BY GOOD FRIDAY

TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

No offense...not worth much!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

BOSSMAN

Mr. Dana was never our coach. It was only a hoax to make you think we liked him.

We are the best. Never has a basketball program been like ours. We have many offers out to all top coaches. All of these coaches have called to take the job.

Very soon you will see the power of the Hogs. Whoo pigs.

fwhog

Quote from: BigDeal on April 04, 2007, 10:41:20 pm
Quote from: PigKahuna on April 04, 2007, 10:38:50 pm
Calipari!  Jumanji!

Read my words. Calipari ain't coming. Period. He is not interested at this point, maybe next year, but not right now.

Neither is BCG, Floyd, Pitino, Self, Pearl, or Barnes.  And no, we don't want Nolan or Tark either.  Move on people...

Translator

Quote from: ark30inf on April 04, 2007, 10:53:11 pm
Expect Dickey Nutt.  I tell ya, expect Dickey Nutt.

That way anything you get you will be happy with.

Now I can sleep!  Thanks....lol
Quote from: oldtimerhog
What's wrong with you?  Did you watch the Las Vegas Bowl?

Translator

Quote from: redbarn on April 04, 2007, 10:56:15 pm
By the way Mike Irwin...........very very good job on the news tonight.  Thanks for some good reporting.

I second that....By the way...I appreciated the focus on the folks holding the "can Broyles" signs....Cardboard is a good thing...
Quote from: oldtimerhog
What's wrong with you?  Did you watch the Las Vegas Bowl?

pigmania

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 04, 2007, 10:59:15 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on April 04, 2007, 10:54:41 pm
BD holds the key to a lot of things.
Once the Kentucky job is filled some attitudes could change in a hurry if the right dollar figure is offered.
Mike i agree, but here's what i believe. It's not about the money. i think this is about no one wanting to work for Frank. they don't like him. plus he's a lame duck AD. i think we are looking at mid-major.
To spice things up a bit, if we do have the chance to get a big name coach, maybe we should allow him to have a say in the hiring of the new AD. This could alleviate some of the stress of coming here not knowing who your boss is going to be in Jan.

Arazorbackguy1

I doubt he will change his name to "By Good Friday"
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

High Octane Hog

So if all this is true and all we had to do was just wait until the UK job was filled, Why did Frank hire Dana? Was it just so he could make the masters? I am not convinced. If it is true then Frank really truly has no clue what he is doing anymore and a search firm was required the whole time.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 05, 2007, 12:30:47 am

Hilarious
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Tiger 85

Are we there yet?

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

vol_in_ar

Your not getting Calipari...and if you really going after a name, you want have any one until the KY job is filled.   If Donovan takes it, then you'll have to wait on Florida..

jbcarol

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 04, 2007, 10:54:41 pm
BD holds the key to a lot of things.
Once the Kentucky job is filled some attitudes could change in a hurry if the right dollar figure is offered.

Billy Donovan's quotes from his PC at a Marshall fund raiser yesterday regarding the Kentucky position.  The power of using a search firm keeps Donovan from looking like a Saban.

http://www.kentuckyconnect.com/276/story/34703.html

"If there was ever a situation I was contacted, that would be something I'd have to think about," Donovan said.

In the same article UK SID Scott Stricklin had a comment for the fans:

UK spokesman Scott Stricklin declined to comment on the search for a new coach, except to advise fans to be patient.

"The most important thing isn't finding a coach quickly," he said. "It's finding the right coach."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PorkerOinker

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 05, 2007, 01:14:25 am
Sidney Moncrief!!!!

Now!

You got to be kidding me that guy might have been a good playe but sucks as a coach he couldnt even win at UALR for Christ sakes.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Manbearpig

Guys, you are just being suicidal with the gillispie talk.  Whether he signs his new contract or not is irrelevant, there is no buyout clause in his new contract so he can leave whenever he wants.  But the point is he is not coming here.  If he goes anywhere he is looking at UK, not us.  Why some of you guys still have not been brought down to earth with all that has happened is quite hard to figure out.  Our best shot is not with the guys who once were at the top of our list.  We should shoot for majerus right now.  He is a big enough name guy who can help us save face.  Not only that he can flat out coach. 

PorkerOinker

Foundation Jet is heding to Dallas as we speak just throwing that out there at yu might not mean a damn thing.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

The real Hogules

Quote from: Manbearpig on April 05, 2007, 07:33:52 am
Guys, you are just being suicidal with the gillispie talk.  Whether he signs his new contract or not is irrelevant, there is no buyout clause in his new contract so he can leave whenever he wants.  But the point is he is not coming here.  If he goes anywhere he is looking at UK, not us.  Why some of you guys still have not been brought down to earth with all that has happened is quite hard to figure out.  Our best shot is not with the guys who once were at the top of our list.  We should shoot for majerus right now.  He is a big enough name guy who can help us save face.  Not only that he can flat out coach. 

Your post shows how "up on things" you actually are, because I have been told that Majerus will NOT be our coach due to health reason he won't even get consideration.

As for the Calipari isn't coming this year, pull out the wallet and watch him come running!

If we offer to pay the man what he is worth he'll be the next coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Manbearpig

Something else about gillispie.  He seems to really like how his athletic director sticks up for him and has pulled out all stops at a&m to make it possible for them to win.  Bill Byrne has done a phenominal job with the aggies sports programs (except for football, franchione is not his hire.)  Anyway, I doubt gillispie would want to trade his current situation for the big mess we have here.  

Manbearpig

QuoteYour post shows how "up on things" you actually are, because I have been told that Majerus will NOT be our coach due to health reason he won't even get consideration.

As for the Calipari isn't coming this year, pull out the wallet and watch him come running!

If we offer to pay the man what he is worth he'll be the next coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I may not have been up on things with majerus, but I was with gillispie the whole time this was going on.  I know people at a&m and I questioned every silly rumor that was put on this board.  turned out I was right.  And I am telling you we have little shot to none with gillispie still.  Besides, try working on your reading comprehension.  I said we should get majerus, not that our athletic department will.  They have proven what a bunch of idiots they are at this point so I really don't expect them to do anything that makes sense. 

HogginDaze

A big name is not coming. Anyone with a modicum of success and security is not coming.

There is just too big of a mess for someone to walk into at this point. I can't even begin to imagine who is going to be hired. But given the clusterf**k at the top anyone worth their salt would have to insane or a miracle worker to want to step in here.

I really think the  biggest name we can get is Doc Sadler because he is one of us and may come to our aid. No one else is coming. The powers that be have done their best to turn this into an undesirable situation to say the least.

jbcarol

Quote from: sylvia on April 04, 2007, 11:20:55 pm
Quote from: hoghogg on April 04, 2007, 11:01:36 pm
Is the Ole Miss coach in the picture?  I have not heard that but he is a darn good coach.  But he is a Mississippi native though.
Can someone fill me on the Ole Miss Coach and how long he has been there because they weren't all that great this past season were they?

Check out the Andy Kennedy thread in the Coaching Search forum.  He served as interim one year at UC (Cincinnati) and he has served one year at Ole Miss.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Shrekster

I like Tony Bennett.  I think his style would fit UA well. 

Plus, he is an excellent singer...hey, maybe he can lead the crowd in song after...crap, that's already been done.  :)
I bleed red...but its cardinal red.

DeltaBoy

The rate this is going we will wind up with another NUTT on the Hill!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HeathWimp

Quote from: KinkosHog on April 04, 2007, 10:40:43 pm
If we can't get BG or Mon Calamari, then Mike Montgomery should be the fella we offer.

JMO

Good one, maybe Admiral Ackbar is available!
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Porkerpower

OK  I know we really want a coach but guys correct me if I am wrong, I don't think anyone would want to come into a hornets nest like we have now and on top of which we might be looking at some NCAA problems with them right now looking at our track problem and all the stuff that came out yesterday,, I would look at it hard before I would commet to come here heck you could show up to work just to find out a bunch of player are ineligible and the other popped on piss test. I agree with some of the post and that is we just need to clean up our act make some good changes and beg foe mercy

jbcarol

Quote from: Shrekster on April 05, 2007, 08:25:52 am

Plus, he is an excellent singer...hey, maybe he can lead the crowd in song after...crap, that's already been done.  :)

He is smooth.  He has captured the imagination of a new generation.  Maybe the "HogFaninSanFran" can shed some light here.  I hear that's where he left his heart. 

3kgthog

It's not about the money now. They can throw all the money in the world at a big name and that guy still isn't going to leave. There is no leadership on the hill and I doubt any coach wants to step into a situation where his bosses are proving to be incompetent.

Shrekster

Quote from: jbcarol on April 05, 2007, 08:32:13 am
Quote from: Shrekster on April 05, 2007, 08:25:52 am

He is smooth.  He has captured the imagination of a new generation.  Maybe the "HogFaninSanFran" can shed some light here.  I hear that's where he left his heart. 

Nice!  +1

HeathWimp

April 05, 2007, 08:42:56 am #83 Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:44:45 am by HeathWimp
Like Wally said in his column yesterday, the search firm was hired to match us up with a coach who has either been fired, or is about to be fired, who is willing to come here because they have no choice.   It will not be a "quality" hire - it will be a "guy with a pulse" hire.   The PTB will wait until after the UK/UF shakeout to name a coach, but only so it will appear that they were going after a quality candidate.   We will be stuck with some washed-up loser.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

OnYourToes

April 05, 2007, 08:46:46 am #84 Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:57:39 am by OnYourToes
Quote from: HeathWimp on April 05, 2007, 08:28:24 am
Quote from: KinkosHog on April 04, 2007, 10:40:43 pm
If we can't get BG or Mon Calamari, then Mike Montgomery should be the fella we offer.

JMO

Good one, maybe Admiral Ackbar is available!

We already have the Emperor as AD , Jabba da Hut Nutt as FB coach , why not complete the circle with . . . . good idea.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HeathWimp on April 05, 2007, 08:42:56 am
Like Wally said in his column yesterday, the search firm was hired to match us up with a coach who has either been fired, or is about to be fired, who is willing to come here because they have no choice.   It will not be a "quality" hire - it will be a "guy with a pulse" hire.   The PTB will wait until after the UK/UF shakeout to name a coach, but only so it will appear that they were going after a quality candidate.   We will be stuck with some washed-up loser.

Yeah, because that's how search firms make their money-recommending crappy coaches.  OU used this same firm - but what do they know about athletics?  Is Capel a washed up loser before he's 35?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Shrekster

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 05, 2007, 08:48:58 am

Yeah, because that's how search firms make their money-recommending crappy coaches.  OU used this same firm - but what do they know about athletics?  Is Capel a washed up loser before he's 35?

Fatty McGee!!!  You're the fattest!!!

Plus, you make a great point.  Universities hire search committees to hire quality coaches.  If we wanted mediocrity, we'd let HDN hire the new BBall coach.

Porkestrator

Quote from: BOSSMAN on April 04, 2007, 11:38:12 pm
Mr. Dana was never our coach. It was only a hoax to make you think we liked him.

We are the best. Never has a basketball program been like ours. We have many offers out to all top coaches. All of these coaches have called to take the job.

Very soon you will see the power of the Hogs. Whoo pigs.

0 Championships.... any sport.

It's clear you are very bitter about this. Why else would you spend all of this time tooting your own horn on our board?

Go back to surveiling your pinto. You live in the only city where it might actually get jacked.

HeathWimp

Quote from: Shrekster on April 05, 2007, 09:01:40 am

Plus, you make a great point.  Universities hire search committees to hire quality coaches.  If we wanted mediocrity, we'd let HDN hire the new BBall coach.

You guys are missing the point.  Of course the search firm wants to provide us with the best hire available.  I'm just saying that, after the disaster over the last two weeks, that the best they will offer is some washed out loser.

Also, OU was in a much different position than us.  They had a coach leave, nothing more.  They did not have a 3-ring circus after the fact.  Because of the extreme negative publicity, the search frim will not be able to find a good candidate.

swoopeshog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 04, 2007, 10:37:14 pm
Quote from: playboy on April 04, 2007, 10:35:26 pm
Quote from: AstroHawg on April 04, 2007, 10:33:53 pm
No way I'm getting my hopes up.  I'll take Ole Miss' coach and be happy with it.

I don't think Kennedy would leave OM to come here

Damn straight he's a Louisville native.

He's from MS.
Quote from: devildoghawg on November 28, 2012, 07:37:57 pm
Regardless of what Obama's told you, unemployment is not a job.

Quote from: staffhog on November 30, 2015, 11:35:15 pm
You guys are just like my wife.  No matter how good a job I do, it is not quite up to her expectations.

razorbear

Most of the negative publicity is on this board.
Brutha, you got to get real!

little pigee

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 05, 2007, 12:30:47 am

That hurt!!

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

jbcarol

Quote from: swoopeshog on April 05, 2007, 09:27:07 am
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 04, 2007, 10:37:14 pm
Quote from: playboy on April 04, 2007, 10:35:26 pm
Quote from: AstroHawg on April 04, 2007, 10:33:53 pm
No way I'm getting my hopes up.  I'll take Ole Miss' coach and be happy with it.

I don't think Kennedy would leave OM to come here

Damn straight he's a Louisville native.

He's from MS.

Louisville, Mississippi. 

arkbengal

Quote from: HeathWimp on April 05, 2007, 09:23:44 am

You guys are missing the point.  Of course the search firm wants to provide us with the best hire available.  I'm just saying that, after the disaster over the last two weeks, that the best they will offer is some washed out loser.

Also, OU was in a much different position than us.  They had a coach leave, nothing more.  They did not have a 3-ring circus after the fact.  Because of the extreme negative publicity, the search frim will not be able to find a good candidate.

Not too sure about the OU situation what with all the negative issues they had. Sampson (?) left them on probation and lost scholarships - much worse, in my opinion, than the problems at UA right now.

Fatty McGee

$1.5 million changes a lot of minds.  The only thing keeping us from success is the replacement of the AD.  Get him out of there and don't replace him with a crony and we'll have a top coach.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Shrekster

I disagree.  I truly think that everything hinges on the Kentucky Job.  Coaches know that Broyles is on the way out.  They know that it is just a matter of time before he no longer calls the shots.  We will get a quality coach becuase, above all of the hullabaloo, Arkansas is a quality job with a tradition for winning.  A lot of ppl will argue that the tradition is gone, but I don't think that way.  We may be struggling.  It may be (has been) slim for a while.  But better times are around the corner.  New blood is coming to high level positions at UA and I think that will make all the difference.

playboy

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 05, 2007, 09:34:20 am

$1.5 million changes a lot of minds.  The only thing keeping us from success is the replacement of the AD.  Get him out of there and don't replace him with a crony and we'll have a top coach.

OK, I think we all agree that replacing Frank with a quality AD very soon is a must.  However, can we also all agree that it's not going to happen before we hire a coach?  It's just not going to happen that fast.  The new coach just needs to be given assurances that a new quality AD will be here within the year.

jbcarol

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 05, 2007, 09:34:20 am

You are correct.  A top guy is going to need some assurances on the AD situation and the entire chain of command.  The Altman situation magnified this.  This will cost Hawgs a few bucks as well.

Shrekster

Can anybody tell me why my Signature isn't showing up?