Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin Hinted...............................

Started by redbarn, April 04, 2007, 10:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redbarn

Don't know if any of you watched Mike tonight on channel 5 but they had a lengthy news report on the Altman mess and at the end Mike hinted that a big name coach who was talked to earlier would be contacted again and offered more money.   Hope I heard that right Mike.  Here is a link to Mike's news report though I don't believe the part about offering the big name coach is in it.

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6327219
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

BleedingHogLiberal

Saw it too. Would this be somehow connected to the Calipari comments detailed on another thread?
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."
- Heywood Broun

AstroHawg

No way I'm getting my hopes up.  I'll take Ole Miss' coach and be happy with it.

redbarn

Not sure but wish Mike would tell us.  Also Billy G has not signed his extension as of yet that I know of.  He is still waiting to see what happens with Kentucky and Florida so Arkansas could still be in the hunt on that end too.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Arkiebrian

Could be Gillespie too...

I have to be honest, Gillespie never won me over - but I'd take him.

playboy

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 04, 2007, 10:33:53 pm
No way I'm getting my hopes up.  I'll take Ole Miss' coach and be happy with it.

I don't think Kennedy would leave OM to come here

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: playboy on April 04, 2007, 10:35:26 pm

I don't think Kennedy would leave OM to come here

Damn straight he's a Louisville native.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PigKahuna

CallThemHawgs!

pay them whatever we have to. I will take anyone, and would definately not complain about a coach whom i have actually heard of.

bsking

dont get your hopes up, i dont know about you guys but the hype and the let downs of arkan sas athletics are taking years off of my life, just count on a no name coach, and if someone else comes along, be happy with it.

KinkosHog

If we can't get BG or Mon Calamari, then Mike Montgomery should be the fella we offer.

JMO

TorsinAHog

Nope. I REFUSE REFUSE REFUSE TO GET MY HOPES UP!.   Not going to happen.  CLose BWA and move back to Barnhill and start over!
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

BigDeal

Quote from: PigKahuna on April 04, 2007, 10:38:50 pm
Calipari!  Jumanji!

Read my words. Calipari ain't coming. Period. He is not interested at this point, maybe next year, but not right now.

razor

Shady leadership has brought us to the brink of disaster. The P.T.B.'s have lost all credibility with Joe Q. Fan. I don't think you fix that by hiring a snake like Calipari.

hoginsanfran

CALIPARI WILL BE NAMED BY GOOD FRIDAY

TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

31to6

Quote from: razor on April 04, 2007, 10:41:28 pm
Shady leadership has brought us to the brink of disaster. The P.T.B.'s have lost all credibility with Joe Q. Fan. I don't think you fix that by hiring a snake like Calipari.
If that snake hangs a banner or two the snake will be the new King of Arkansas.

But that is not saying he is the answer. As much as he might hang a banner, we might have to just cut it down after we get put on probation, lol.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hoginsanfran on April 04, 2007, 10:45:23 pm

hope you're right man but Im through getting my hopes up.

Puerco Diablo

ark30inf

Expect Dickey Nutt.  I tell ya, expect Dickey Nutt.

That way anything you get you will be happy with.

hoglady

I'm with you - at this point it would be nice to know that SOMEONE/ANYONE wanted this job !!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

UAfan

Are you just going off gut feeling or sources.  I'd feel a little better if it were your sources but not much considering what everyones been saying this past week.

mikeirwin

BD holds the key to a lot of things.
Once the Kentucky job is filled some attitudes could change in a hurry if the right dollar figure is offered.

Arkiebrian

Lord...here we go again.

I've learned who to trust as a worthy source...nobody!

Actually there was one or two posters who hinted that they knew what was going on over the weekend that I can't prove were wrong...and they don't post a whole lot.

hoghogg

I saw that too.  I took that to mean that they would offer, I was thinking JC, but I guess it could be BG too, a lot more money than they already have.  That obviously does not mean that whom ever they offer it to will take it this time around.  I firmly believe that Calapari was already offered the job once and turned it down regardless of what he says.

redbarn

By the way Mike Irwin...........very very good job on the news tonight.  Thanks for some good reporting.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 04, 2007, 10:54:41 pm
Once the Kentucky job is filled some attitudes could change in a hurry if the right dollar figure is offered.
I knew that was the problem all along.  Why didn't we wait for Kentucky to move first anyway?  They've been needing a coach longer than we have...

playboy

just from watching Donovan talk about it, and most importantly not deny anything, I think he's going to go to Kentucky.  Of course, it will help if all those starters (Horford, Noah, Brewer, Green) tell him they're going to the NBA.

hoghogg

Mike I think that is what everyone is thinking.  Why didn't they wait until UK picked the first time around before spewing out offers everywhere?

forrest city joe

Mike i agree, but here's what i believe. It's not about the money. i think this is about no one wanting to work for Frank. they don't like him. plus he's a lame duck AD. i think we are looking at mid-major.

playboy

Is our search firm the same as Kentucky's?  I wonder if they've told our guys to sit tight until after they fill the Kentucky job.  It's the right move, but it seems like a conflict of interest.

hoglady

I hope they don't make a hire until Kentucky is filled. Do ya'll believe the Fox report out of LR tonight that said it had been narrowed down to 3 people. ( I think Montgomery, Dixon and Kennedy) That's what I read in another thread.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

porknpine

UK is big, no doubt (and I've thought all along we should just cool it til they pull the trigger because a lotta coaches are waiting to see if they are gonna go Blue, or "crawl"), but on the question that started this...whatcha think?  Does your response imply that JC might be an UK consideration? 
Thanks -

Ahenso

I agree with that. It starts at the top job Kentucky with the hottest coach BD.. Once he makes his decision the waterfall affect will take place.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: playboy on April 04, 2007, 10:59:18 pm

Is our search firm the same as Kentucky's?  I wonder if they've told our guys to sit tight until after they fill the Kentucky job.  It's the right move, but it seems like a conflict of interest.
Our search firm is the same as Kentucky's...so there must be some collusion there...

hoghogg

Is the Ole Miss coach in the picture?  I have not heard that but he is a darn good coach.  But he is a Mississippi native though.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The U should have waited for this in the first place.  Damn that Master's tournament.

It would have been too simple and made too much sense to wait. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

d1nonlyhogfan

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

BigDeal

Mike I assume you are talking about BG on that. Let's not get any hopes up in here on Coach Cal, because that is absolutely,positively not happening this year .

NWASooner

Maybe it's Dave Bliss.

Last I heard he was coaching at some prison in Texas.  I'm sure he'd take the job.

Razorhog2006q

Any chance that this coaching search is over before the Real Deal on the Hill?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BigDeal on April 04, 2007, 11:05:06 pm

Mike I assume you are talking about BG on that. Let's not get any hopes up in here on Coach Cal, because that is absolutely,positively not happening this year .

No BD, Billy Donovan.  If he moves or not the Dominoes fall.

BigDeal

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 04, 2007, 11:06:30 pm

No BD, Billy Donovan.  If he moves or not the Dominoes fall.

I know that. I'm was talking about if BD takes the KY job, it could leave the door open for BG to consider Arkansas. ..... Either way Cal is NOT in this dominoe chain.

Arkiebrian

I think he's alluding to BG...there's my 2 cents.

RazorZach

Has BG still not "officially" signed his new approved contract? I'm thinking he has, but was still unsure. I know he has been waiting on the UK job as well, but if that's the case you would think the A&M fans wouldn't be too receptive of such a long holdout. Plus I don't really think the U of A would crawl back to BG after the way he left Arkansas blowing in the wind after we fired Stan.

But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures.
"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

"Is this hotel beeper friendly?" -- Alan from "The Hangover" (and Houston Nutt)

"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." -- Michael Scott, "The Office"

coolhog

No coaching rumors PLEASE! Just let it happen! You will jinx it!

sylvia

Quote from: hoghogg on April 04, 2007, 11:01:36 pm
Is the Ole Miss coach in the picture?  I have not heard that but he is a darn good coach.  But he is a Mississippi native though.
Can someone fill me on the Ole Miss Coach and how long he has been there because they weren't all that great this past season were they?

playboy

Quote from: RazorZach on April 04, 2007, 11:14:59 pm
Has BG still not "officially" signed his new approved contract? I'm thinking he has, but was still unsure. I know he has been waiting on the UK job as well, but if that's the case you would think the A&M fans wouldn't be too receptive of such a long holdout. Plus I don't really think the U of A would crawl back to BG after the way he left Arkansas blowing in the wind after we fired Stan.

But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures.

he has not signed his extension.  The Texags board is still in as much turmoil as it was a week ago, except now it is all about whether Donovan will take the Kentucky job or not.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: NWASooner on April 04, 2007, 11:05:33 pm
Maybe it's Dave Bliss.

Last I heard he was coaching at some prison in Texas.

He must think he's back at Oklahoma.

LAHOGG

Just when you would of thought we all would have learned our leason.  Here we go getting our hopes up again that some big name coach is going to come.  Hey it would be great but I'm trying real hard to not expect anything anymore as far as this search is concerned.

playboy

Quote from: sylvia on April 04, 2007, 11:20:55 pm
Quote from: hoghogg on April 04, 2007, 11:01:36 pm
Is the Ole Miss coach in the picture?  I have not heard that but he is a darn good coach.  But he is a Mississippi native though.
Can someone fill me on the Ole Miss Coach and how long he has been there because they weren't all that great this past season were they?

actually, in Kennedy's first season, they won 20 games this year (tied for 1st in the west) after posting 4 consecutive losing seasons, with very little talent.  kennedy came from Cincinnati where he was an assistant for Bob Huggins.  He took over as an interim coach there two years ago when Huggins got in trouble and did a real good job.  Could have been retained by Cincy but they wanted a clean break from huggins.  Kennedy is a Mississippi native.