Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was your first thought, honestly?

Started by darazorback, April 03, 2007, 08:19:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor6

Embarrassment, concerned about players, we are a joke, no one will come here...
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

revolution

My first thought was, "I never thought you could stand the pressure, but daaayyyuuuuummm!  You bolted from KState because you couldn't cope.  Man, you do have some issues!"

And that's what I'm still thinking.

ark30inf

My first thought was that this is some kind of weird coach we had dragged in and that I was glad we found out the weirdness factor now instead of later.

Justme

My first thought was that he realized exactly what sort of place the U of A is and didn't care for it.  Maybe something is about to happen in the Nutt story.  

pigture perfect

My second thought was, I hope that right after Altman said I quit, White responded with you can't quit, you're fired. I'm glad he didn't because we would have to pay him just lke we're paying Stan and Nolan.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hog.goblin

Quote from: Rzrbckr on April 03, 2007, 09:08:10 pm
I thought how can you blame him for wanting to go back to were everyone loves him. In Arkansas he gets a media guy asking him at the press conference how he is going to handle the fans. for example(20 people just posted talking about the suit you are wearing) I could not believe that was asked. That would have scared me off.

Exactly, big time coaches at big time schools deal with that.  If he can't, then don't let the door hit him on the way out.  We need a winner, not someone who can't handle new challenges.

razorbacker80

Shock followed by a sense of relief. 

I thought hiring Dana was settling.  That hire didn't satisfy the demand of "Go Big or Go Home". 

I'm glad we have an opening when we might still be able to hire a big name.  The KY issue should be settled in the next few days.  Then we can shop those who were passed over who "might" have a little extra motivation to take on the Wildcats annually. 

NateMan

Quote from: darazorback on April 03, 2007, 08:19:34 pm
What was your first thought that occured to you when you heard that he was returning to Creighton?
1st thought: UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!!
2nd thought: Frank better get his butt back from Augusta and fix this now!

Smokehouse

My first thought was wondering how long I should avoid the internet to miss what other fans were saying about us, then I figured, at this point, we probably deserve whatever they say.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

NostraHogmus

Problem is we won't hear the real reason we will get coach speak - my family, blah, blah, sniffle, sniffle, felt I owed my Notre Dame wannabe team in Omaha blah blah... I want answers and can handle the truth!  Was it a combination of being around a bunch of necks for the first time?  Was it meeting his under achieving players and thinking "No thanks"?  At first I felt sorry for the team but I now wonder if they are so dysfunctional that no one wants to coach them. Can't wait til this class is gone!  Anyone know some new fresh inside scoop on these players????

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

razor

1st thought- Shock and disbelief. 2nd thought- Somehow, I'm not surprised; the whole thing didn't seem quite right from the get-go. 3rd thought- Malzahn bailing for Tulsa; Altman crawling back to Creighton; My God, stop kidding yourself, the U of A is not what it used to be. 4th thought- Depression and embarrassment for my alma mater. Final thought- For the love of Pete, can we PLEASE get some new leadership.

zumhog

Some of you guys are unreal. To think that HDN had anything to do with Dana(liar)Altman standing at midcourt of BWA announcing he accepted the Head Coach position and then the next morning changing his mind is idiotic. HDN has no control over this. He should of known for a fact this is where he wanted to be before the press conference as BWA announcing his hiring. If there was anything he was uncertain of he should have done what he had to do before then. Hes embarrased this University, fans and the state. We as fans should be gratefull he left now. Its apparant to me hes nothing but a liar.

tmorph84

my first thought...thank god
my second thought...let's get a real coach this time

Pigonometry

I was about to leave work when a guy in the next office called me over.  He saw it on Hogville and then they cut into DTS...............  I thought it was a bad joke...........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Justme

Quote from: zumhog on April 03, 2007, 10:00:27 pm
Some of you guys are unreal. To think that HDN had anything to do with Dana(liar)Altman standing at midcourt of BWA announcing he accepted the Head Coach position and then the next morning changing his mind is idiotic. HDN has no control over this. He should of known for a fact this is where he wanted to be before the press conference as BWA announcing his hiring. If there was anything he was uncertain of he should have done what he had to do before then. Hes embarrased this University, fans and the state. We as fans should be gratefull he left now. Its apparant to me hes nothing but a liar.
Liars thrive here!

razorback93

Did it occur to anyone that it might not have anything to do with JFB, the drama, or the "internets"?  Maybe it is honestly about him and his family.  Sometimes it is not about US.  While nothing in his back ground suggested this, he has a history of rebuffing offers from others.   Maybe he just wants to stay home.  It is still a colossal embarassment for the school, and the state.   This has driven home that we don't have the aura that we used to.  That really hurts to type.

jrohog

Quote from: razorback3072 on April 03, 2007, 08:32:56 pm
That he got here and realized what a mess he was getting into here and that he found out all these "rumors" weren't necessarily rumors.  Maybe he's got too much integrity to stay here in this cluster.  I don't blame him one bit.
I don't either!

hawaiianhogster

redbarn

I am just glad he left as he did.  If he was unhappy for whatever reason he needed to not be here.  We need a coach that will be dedicated to the Razorbacks and the team which evidently Altman wasn't.  I do not know nor will any of us probably ever really know why he backed out on the job but I am glad he did if it wasn't right for him and hopefully we can get a coach that is right for us. 
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

pignatious

I thought it was rumor or joke, made up by someone on Hogville, that was just believable enough to get people to check it out. Then my second thought was this is totally par for the course for last few years of Arkansas athletics. It makes perfect sense. Anything Frank is involved in has to be screwed up somehow.
Freedom is never free.

WestMemphisHogFan

My thoughts went like this:
1.  I was very upset because I believe DA is a really good coach, and was going to do very well here.
2.  I was upset because I wouldn't be able to get on Hogville as fast as I like for the next few days because it would be bogged down
3. I  was EMBARRASSED because of what the national media was going to say
4. Who now, what now?
5. Frank's going to miss the Masters after all

razorbacker80

Quote from: razorbacker80 on April 03, 2007, 09:39:14 pm
Shock followed by a sense of relief. 

I thought hiring Dana was settling.  That hire didn't satisfy the demand of "Go Big or Go Home". 

I'm glad we have an opening when we might still be able to hire a big name.  The KY issue should be settled in the next few days.  Then we can shop those who were passed over who "might" have a little extra motivation to take on the Wildcats annually. 

3rd thought is I wonder when DEVICEHIGH is going to give us something on this. 

hogfan@heart

Quote from: Bring Back Heath on April 03, 2007, 09:07:53 pm
"Are you serious"
then
"Well this is ugly but I didn't want him as coach"

I could not have expressed by thoughts better.

elkhog

Quote from: The Boar War on April 03, 2007, 09:20:35 pm
Quote from: bobetty on April 03, 2007, 09:19:12 pm
I thought Houston Nutt had probably convinced Teresa Prewitt to send him a nasty
e-mail because his salary was higher. 
Or maybe Houston walked by him in the hall an called him Mid-Major.

LOL +1

My first thought was "your kidding".  Then I did a little dance and pumped my fists in the air and said, "Hell yea!"... NOT because of anything to do with Altman, but because Frank deserves everything he is getting.
GO HOGS!!!

imhogwild2

I though "are you serious?" your a liar saying your going to retire at Arkansas what a loser
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

RBLtoHOG

My first thought was "How in the heck am I suppose to react to this?"
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

Pork Salad Annie

That Altman was as big a flake as he appeared to be at his press conference.

:razorback:

dotnet

first: you have to be kidding
second: PB?
third: I'm embarrassed

dsewell70

My first thought was wow did I jinx this? Living on the East Coast, SEC fans are a rarity... but I work with an LSU fan, and I told him at lunch today that just watching the press conference yesterday I had an uneasy feeling from the lack of excitement or any pep from Altman made me think of other coaches who have done the yeah I'll come, do the press conference and then jump ship back to their previous job... then I come home from a rained-out softball game, hop on ESPN.com and see that I was right... bleeecccchhhh

James K. Pork

First thought:  What the....?!?!

Second thought:  What scared him off?

fortcityhog

What a SLAP IN THE FACE.... our 6th choice comes, takes a look around, and goes RUNNING home less than 24hrs later.  Never dreamed of any athletic program having such post season drama. First on the grid iron, now in bud walton..... WOW.

Big Papa Satan

What was your first thought that occured to you when you heard that he was returning to Creighton?

Honestly?

It was "They need to tar and feather him before he gets out of town.  Frank, too."

hawgfan_18

shock at first, and then the thought that you wouldn't like anything more than for him to never win another game.  i mean this really kills us.  everyone we offer turns us down, then we finally get someone and he's here less than 24 hours before he quits.  c'mon.  this makes me sick to my stomach. everything with hog athletics stinks.  football seems to be filled with more corruption than a season of "The Sopranos" and basketball is just sickening. we've fired blanks in this coaching search and we get someone to bite and he leaves.  i just don't know what to say.  this whole athletic department needs a seriously cleaning.  we need to get rid of everyone in the department that is involved in making decisions,  clean out the football program and try to atleast get a breathing, able body person to fill our basketball vacancy. even if it takes a few years to get back on our feet, something as catastrophic as this needs to happen.  i don't know maybe i'm over reacting but damn this is rediculous.

CorningHog

MY honest first thought was, Altman sat down with White who had to inform him of what is coming on Thursday or Friday.  That Nutt will be voted on by the BOT and that he will be removed as head coach.  Also that it will also be voted on to remove Frank Broyles immediately.  There may have been some talk about what the future plans were for an AD as well as the "silver bullet" stuff that may come out.

As Altman studied the situation and realized he would be indirectly caught up in this and may have to endure some fallout nationally towards Arkansas as they regroup with a new AD, Altman may have realized he wanted to stay home and avoid this.

Then I laughed and realized I am really believing all of this.

And then, I realized the "rumors" about Frank Broyles retiring, and then he did.  The rumors about the email to Mitch, and it was true that a close friend of the Nutt brothers was indeed involved.  Then I thought about the rumors Gus, Mitch & Damian and possibly others would leave after the SEC Championship game, and they did.  The media broke a month before it happened that Heath would be fired.  One report was that Broyles was going to fire Heath if he lost at home to Auburn.  So, now we know that Broyles wanted Heath gone.

All this with Broyles just months from retirement?

What is going on at the U of A?

Maybe, just maybe, there is another "bomb" coming and this time Nutt doesn't survive.  Frank gets shown the door permanantly and gets a "go straight out the door" and do not collect a paycheck as a fundraiser until your 92 card and as of this weekend, not only do we get to be known as a program in disarray, all the dirty laundry of Nutt gets aired publicly and the whole nation learns the hard lesson that Arkansas should have known, you don't let an 82 year old man run the athletic program. 

I guess in a few days we will see won't we!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

DEVICEHIGH

My first thought?

Mike has asked us to stop posting those words.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: CorningHog on April 04, 2007, 12:17:34 amMaybe, just maybe, there is another "bomb" coming and this time Nutt doesn't survive.  Frank gets shown the door permanantly and gets a "go straight out the door" and do not collect a paycheck as a fundraiser until your 92 card and as of this weekend, not only do we get to be known as a program in disarray, all the dirty laundry of Nutt gets aired publicly and the whole nation learns the hard lesson that Arkansas should have known, you don't let an 82 year old man run the athletic program.

Not going to happen.

WoooPigSooie

My first thought? 

Why am I not suprised?
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

moses_007

As Stanley used to tell Ollie:  "Ollie, what another fine mess you've gotten us into."

Guys we are in one helluva mess now. :razorback:

rowdy1

What happened to the program that we were all proud to be a part of?  I supported FB in the sixties, seventies, eighties, and the nineties even though we had a rough decade or so with football.....And they have always made fun of those hillbillies from AR and now it's come true.  I won't give up though, I still hope that FB will work his magic one more time.
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

spehog

I can't post words like that on this board.

Woo Pig.
Woo Pig.

hawgfan_18

Quote from: rowdy1 on April 04, 2007, 12:33:02 am
What happened to the program that we were all proud to be a part of?  I supported FB in the sixties, seventies, eighties, and the nineties even though we had a rough decade or so with football.....And they have always made fun of those hillbillies from AR and now it's come true.  I won't give up though, I still hope that FB will work his magic one more time.

whats the saying?  you can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster.  i think thats the motto for this athletic department.  things aren't going to get better, or atleast in the near future.

samske

My first thought was...Creighton...Omaha...Altman...do any of these matter to the world at large?  Uh, no.

HogBaller

my first thought was that altman must have heard the huge negative outpour from our fans (i was glad to have altman)... he didnt want to come somewhere that he didnt feel welcome.  We had post after post after post wanting to fire altman before his first hog call.  he had yet to even met with the players and we wanted him out... we are the worst fans, and we would only be happy with a coach that we wont get.

My second thought was that we fired a coach only to replace him with an inferior coach (which is what will probably happen) and lose some players along the way, including our fan favorite p.bev

hawgfan_18

Quote from: HogBaller on April 04, 2007, 12:40:54 am
my first thought was that altman must have heard the huge negative outpour from our fans (i was glad to have altman)... he didnt want to come somewhere that he didnt feel welcome.  We had post after post after post wanting to fire altman before his first hog call.  he had yet to even met with the players and we wanted him out... we are the worst fans, and we would only be happy with a coach that we wont get.

My second thought was that we fired a coach only to replace him with an inferior coach (which is what will probably happen) and lose some players along the way, including our fan favorite p.bev

i understand what you're saying but, the fans would not have been so outraged if they weren't promised a big name.  or told by those on the radio shows that we were going to hire someone that will shock the basketball world or w/e.  ya they shocked us alright, shocked us with disappointment.  the fans are just deprived of success. ya sure football had a good run this past year but what do we have to show for it? ended the season on a four game skid, because of a lack of a passing game, something that has killed us the past 10 years.  the basketball program was flushed the day we fired heath and went on this rollercoaster coaching search.  i dont' know i find myself unable to feel the least bit optimistic about anything razorback anymore.  very sad ordeal.

Man_O_Pork

1. "What else is new?"
2. "I sure hope he's doing this for family reasons, and didn't discover something really screwed up about our program (aside from the already known obvious problems)."
3. "Well, on the plus side, maybe this will expadite the process of pushing Frank out the door."

BennyBlancofromtheRock

ha...it sucks being right all the time.

br549

I was Shocked!
Maybe we should recruit a Head Coach from an NAIA School if they would even take the position.
What a Disgrace.

Oinkle Sam

I thought that he just treated us like that ugly chick that looked good with beer goggles on that he went home with, woke up sober, took a look at us and ran the hell out of there.

Then I thought 'we are the Arkansas Razorbacks, 6 final fours, a national championship, THE program of the 90's, and we just got disrespected by the Dodge Aries K of the college coaching world!'.....We got problems.

lilredheadedlady

My first thought was, "Is it too late for this to be an April fool's joke?"

Wow.  Just wow. 
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!