Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN's Andy Katz (Yes, people are already talking about his comments. Do NOT start a new thread.)

Started by dhornjr1, March 26, 2007, 02:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

He thinks Gillispie will turn Arkansas down. He thinks they will go after Doc Sadler.

HogBaptist

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 26, 2007, 02:05:59 pm
He thinks Gillispie will turn Arkansas down. He thinks they will go after Doc Sadler.

no way, we didn't fire stan to get Doc...no way

Oliver

We better not have fired Stan Heath to get Doc Sadler.  We better not have.

BCShogs

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2007, 02:07:36 pm

We better not have fired Stan Heath to get Doc Sadler.  We better not have.

It's gonna be a long 48 hours or so.

oldbear

I think I could actually not even watch a Hog basketball game anymore if that happened.

PMP11

This whole thing could get real scarey.  I hope to god we already have a big name waiting, sorry, Doc Sadler is not a big name.

Our Ath Dept isn't that stupid, is it??!!!!!!!(heavy sarcasm)

arkjay19

Well that would suck.

It's Self or Gillispie or BUST for most Hog fans.

ReservoirHog

greetings fellow hogs, long time lurker, new poster...anyway, i don't see sadler as an option here. firing frank after two straight 20-win seasons warrants a big-time, proven guy take his place. it's gotta be billy

hogfan0307

'HogBaptist' and 'Oliver Miller'...i agree with you...Doc is a downgrade from Heath...we don't fire a solid coach unless we can get a great coach...doc is not a great coach

dhornjr1

You would think they wouldn't have fired Heath without being secure in the knowledge that they were going to get Gillispie.

Tomhog™

Nebraska went 17-14.  What on Earth would a school like Arkansas be doing looking at another mediocre coach?  If they hire him, this will be the worst mistake they've made yet...

hogsanity

The thought of Doc Sadler anywhere near the UA basketball program makes me throw up in mouth. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dhornjr1

March 26, 2007, 02:21:26 pm #12 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:23:12 pm by dhornjr1
Katz said he first heard rumors about this last night. He called Heath and he and Ramona were at the movies. Heath said he didn't know anything about it.

He went into the meeting with Broyles this morning apparently unaware. Broyles walked in the room and said, "We're going in a different direction". Heath told Katz he was stunned.

My question is, how could he be stunned? He had to wonder if this was going to happen.

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: arkhog9 on March 26, 2007, 02:10:52 pm
Well that would suck.

Or Floyd.  Clay is saying that Tim Floyd is now in the mix if BG bows out.  I could live with that.

pokerhog

That guy knows darn well that we are a great basketball school. He said there's no way BG would go to Ark. He also said he doesn't see us taking BG away from a school like A&M.

It's just funny to me, they know damn well A&M has no history. ESPN makes me sick. Arkansas gets no respect.

pneaville

No way we fire a guy who won 21 games without a plan of action...  Gillespie by the end of the week, maybe sooner.

God is a Razorback

ekyle1

I wonder if Katz will retract his statement if he's wrong

IHateVitale

Darren McFadden~The greatest Razorback ever.  501 baby

Hollywood_HOGan

We do not can heath to hire sadler

NO FREAKING WAY!!

Sadler would be a step backward

3kgthog

This is the same guy that said Arkansas was one of the top 10 jobs in America when we hired Stan Heath. Now he thinks we suck. He can go choke on a matzoball.

aristotle

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 26, 2007, 02:29:20 pm
Does the "no respect" card have to be played every time a national media member says something that doesn't praise Arkansas?

Katz has his opinion. Time will tell if he's right about it.

Apparently, yes. Nobody but Ark fans give a damn about what happened over a decade ago. We are not a HOT commodity right now. Let's hope the PTB open the checkbook and get us re-established.

Good luck, Stan. You were a class act here and I, for one, do appreciate it greatly. I hope you do well where ever you go.

dhornjr1

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2007, 02:31:07 pm
Quote from: Kevin Bacon on March 26, 2007, 02:22:31 pm
Well that would suck.

Or Floyd.  Clay is saying that Tim Floyd is now in the mix if BG bows out.  I could live with that.

'IF' WTH?  'IF'?  We had better have some more than 'ifs' and possibilites after firing a classy coach after back to back 20 win seasons while keeping the Nutt brothers.  A deal had better already be made.

Exactly.

cbjagman

I don't know who for sure we will hire to hire Stan Heath. However, I would be EXTREMELY shocked if we haven't learned our lesson about firing a coach and failing to replace him with a proven, big time coach.

spehog

I'm on the Kentucky rivals site (http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=91977394&mid=91977394&sid=888&style=2) and they all have BG as a third choice behind Calipari and Billy Donavan. Hopefully Calipari will bite, give Kentucky a few NCAA violations and we'll get BG.

Woo Pig.
Woo Pig.

LJHOG

He knows less about basketball than I do and I don't know squat. 

Scout Team Defense

Are you N
Quote from: Kevin Bacon on March 26, 2007, 02:22:31 pm
Well that would suck.

Are you nuts!!?!?!?!  Leaving USC with the best high school player in the country coming next year, a brand new arena, and a team that made it to the Sweet 16??!!!  Where do you get your information!??!

moses_007

The fact that Doc Sadler is from Greenwood, Arkansas should in no way affect him getting the job.  We would regress deeper into ambiguity if we hired Sadler.  Nebraska has never ever been a basketball school.  Seventeen wins in one season is a real plus for them but not for us.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hawgsav1

Quote from: cbjagman on March 26, 2007, 02:49:36 pm
I don't know who for sure we will hire to hire Stan Heath. However, I would be EXTREMELY shocked if we haven't learned our lesson about firing a coach and failing to replace him with a proven, big time coach.

I know after Heath people are against hiring up and comers.  However, I disagree with that a lot.  A lot of up-and-comers can still do it.  Heath's record was deceiving.  His Elite 8 run came with a 30-6 team that made it to the second round the year before and upset Indiana and went 23-9 or so.  Remember right before Gillespie went to A&M, he was an up and comer and UTEP.  Nolan was an up and comer at Tulsa.  Sutton was an up and comer at Creighton.  The real question is that you have to take a closer look to the circumstances surrounding each coach.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

nichc85

Oh say can you see.......?  By the dawns early light !!!! Doc Sadler needs to be left on the tarmac of nebraska trying to prove his ability. If Frank made this move in the waning days of his career surely he has a plan better than Doc Sadler. I believe it is a done deal with someone or he doesn't fire Heath. He surely doesn't want a long drawn out affair at this point in his career.

seqco

If you're going to go get Doc why not get a better coach like Gregg Marshall.

DaniHog

Don't worry...it will be BCG.  Doc would be a step down...perhaps not 5 years from now, but today it would be a step down from Heath. 

helmet

Katz does not know what he is talking about. First off he is from the NE so he may know what is happening at nova or georgetown but not Arkansas. These talking heads have to say something because they are the so called experts. The people on Hogville have more of a grasp on this situation than Katz or any other Espn blowhard.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Hogsanity, I would've given you a karma (Believe it or not!!!), for your assessment of the Doc situation.
I would like BG or Tim Floyd.....and maybe Tim Floyd even more than BG.  I'm fairly convinced that Self is not going anywhere unless Kansas makes that decision for him.  I do NOT want Doc or an older coach that hasn't proven himself at the major level.
If we take a chance (and I don't want that either), then I'd prefer getting someone that is an up and comer that is younger, so if we do hit a home run, we have them for a long time.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

Quote from: Question-Man on March 26, 2007, 03:41:58 pm
Hogsanity, I would've given you a karma (Believe it or not!!!), for your assessment of the Doc situation.
I would like BG or Tim Floyd.....and maybe Tim Floyd even more than BG.  I'm fairly convinced that Self is not going anywhere unless Kansas makes that decision for him.  I do NOT want Doc or an older coach that hasn't proven himself at the major level.
If we take a chance (and I don't want that either), then I'd prefer getting someone that is an up and comer that is younger, so if we do hit a home run, we have them for a long time.

Alll I need to know about Sadler is his team scored 39 in a game TWICE this season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2007, 03:48:29 pm
Quote from: Question-Man on March 26, 2007, 03:41:58 pm

Alll I need to know about Sadler is his team scored 39 in a game TWICE this season. 

Yeah, and some people on here think that Heath's teams are boring.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

sportscrazy

Where did Katz just say that Gillespie will say no to Arkansas.  I didn't read it in the article.  Was he speaking or did he print it?  Just wondering.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

helmet

We will not go after Doc. No way!! I don't think Stan would be gone if they did not agree to terms wilh BG. It looks like Frank is running the show so there will be no stupid committees. Lets just hope BG does not back out.

oldfart

no way are they gonna settle for a Doc Sadler

dhornjr1

Quote from: sportscrazy on March 26, 2007, 03:52:22 pm
Where did Katz just say that Gillespie will say no to Arkansas.  I didn't read it in the article.  Was he speaking or did he print it?  Just wondering.

He said it in a live interview on ESPN News.

hogwild32

Quote from: IHateVitale on March 26, 2007, 02:26:38 pm
everyone just go here and read, gives me tingles

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6612092

Today is like Christmas Eve.  We are all going to go to bed tonight wondering if we will get that present we have wanted all year or get stuck with a lame present cuz parents were a little tight on cash.

Scott747

Maybe Katz is on to something. Latest radio report mentions that he talked to BG yesterday.

danoobsminion

Quote from: ekyle1 on March 26, 2007, 02:26:23 pm
I wonder if Katz will retract his statement if he's wrong

Kind of like how fox sports retracted their statement of a done deal. From Signing to "eyeing". And please don't try to say you know the situation better than Katz does.

Texas-is-better

Says BCG likes it at A&M and isn't likely to be interested in Arkansas job. Says Arkansas is cocky in thinking they can get him, given A&M's deep pockets. He based that on conversations with BCG yesterday and other contacts today.

He did say that his impression was that an offer from UK would pique interest, but that UA isn't a big enough offer to get serious consideration.

Katz and Gottlieb say it boils down to how far A&M is willing to go to keep him.

Just passing on what I saw.

Hawgvillain

Yeah...last night no one in Aggie country could believe it...now how do you feel?

Tomorrow those in the national media will believe it too...

aristotle

with Andy Katz and Doug Gotlieb. Did anyone else see it? Katz said we were arrogant to think we could get Self or Gillipsie and he couldn't see BCG coming, but admitted he could be wrong. Gotlieb called Arkansas a top 10 basketball program and said we were not lacking in dollars either. Said Frank knew were a top 10 powerhouse program and was going out in a 'blaze of glory'.

Anybody else catch it?

sorry if posted already.

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

AHogalypto

Katz is just upset that we got in the tournament.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

nschmi04

Gillispie . . . maybe.

Self?  You don't have a prayer.