Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunardi's reasoning for putting Arkansas in at the last minute.

Started by whatsshakinbacon, March 11, 2007, 08:11:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsshakinbacon

Per a live chat on ESPN (No, I didn't as the question):

Eric (Kansas)
Joe, do you have indsidee information?  This morning you had Arkansas out of the tourney BEFORE they got creamed by Florida.  About an hour before the selection you had them in.  Explain?

JOE LUNARDI
Happy to explain that one, Eric. While watching the SEC final, I finally had a spare 30 minutes and put the last few majors together and the last few mids. I kept my mids the same, but decided to swap Arkansas and K-State.

Bacon out...

whatsshakinbacon

And this:

Zederick
I just would like to know how does Arkansas have a better resume that K. State. 

JOE LUNARDI
Non-conference schedule strength was really the deciding factor here (and more than I originally realized until make the late switch after the early games today).

Bacon out...

polandhog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 11, 2007, 08:11:13 pm

Eric (Kansas)
Joe, do you have indsidee information?  This morning you had Arkansas out of the tourney BEFORE they got creamed by Florida.  About an hour before the selection you had them in.  Explain?

JOE LUNARDI
Happy to explain that one, Eric. While watching the SEC final, I finally had a spare 30 minutes and put the last few majors together and the last few mids. I kept my mids the same, but decided to swap Arkansas and K-State.

Bacon out...

nice... the dork from kansas that asked that failed to mention it was our 4th game in 4 days missing the guy that had 18&18 the day before... and that florida's starters played about 40 minutes TOTAL in 2 games...

kansas is FURIOUS with us!

polandhog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 11, 2007, 08:15:21 pm
And this:

Zederick

JOE LUNARDI
Non-conference schedule strength was really the deciding factor here (and more than I originally realized until make the late switch after the early games today).

Bacon out...

KANSAS STATE SOS 96
ARKANSAS SOS  15

KSU RPI   56
ARK RPI   35

Publius

According to CBS...performance in conference tourneys also played a big role ( see the Hogs, see UCLA getting a two seed, see AF getting bumped)

arkrzrbacks

As usual they realize with an average mentality we should have just been happy with Atlanta. Now we can go surprise USC, and ESPN we tell how an off day they (USC) had and we shouldn't have won.   GO HOGS!

chiefsfan

If you want some real fun...  Go play around on the Kansas State message board.  There's a roast going on in there and Arkansas and the NCAA Selection commitee are the main course
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

whatsshakinbacon

Ben (Illinois)
Help me understand how TTech and Arkansas are in over KSU.  Forget the numbers, KSU played better down the stretch than those teams.

JOE LUNARDI
Don't know about that. I watched the loss at Nebraska.

(more good stuff)

Bacon out...

Niels Boar

Lunardi's explanation is BS.  He must have a source.  I'm surprised Arkansas got in ahead of Air Force, Syracuse, and Drexel.  Air Force had as many wins against the field and a higher RPI.  The SEC guy on the committee is good.  I knew when UF was declared the overall #1 seed after being blown out recently by  LSU and UT that we had a chance.  Vandy being overseeded helped us a lot.  I'm shocked they are a #6-seed with a #47 RPI.

HamHands

Quote from: polandhog on March 11, 2007, 08:16:18 pm
And this:

Zederick

JOE LUNARDI

Bacon out...

KANSAS STATE SOS 96
ARKANSAS SOS  15

KSU RPI   56
ARK RPI   35

Nuff said, the facts speak volumes
One day at a time.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: polandhog on March 11, 2007, 08:15:47 pm

Eric (Kansas)

JOE LUNARDI

Bacon out...

nice... the dork from kansas that asked that failed to mention it was our 4th game in 4 days missing the guy that had 18&18 the day before... and that florida's starters played about 40 minutes TOTAL in 2 games...

I agree.

They shouldn't be furious with us, they should be furious with the po-dunk teams that got in.

As far as this Lunardi guy;  it is about time someone in the National Media got some common sense.

Pigskin_Porker

Eric (Kansas)

JOE LUNARDI

Bacon out...
And this:

Zederick

JOE LUNARDI

Bacon out...
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 11, 2007, 08:29:04 pm
Ben (Illinois)
Help me understand how TTech and Arkansas are in over KSU.  Forget the numbers, KSU played better down the stretch than those teams.

JOE LUNARDI
Don't know about that. I watched the loss at Nebraska.

(more good stuff)

Bacon out...

Great stuff, Bacon!!!
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

31to6

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 11, 2007, 08:31:16 pm
Lunardi's explanation is BS.  He must have a source.  I'm surprised Arkansas got in ahead of Air Force, Syracuse, and Drexel.  Air Force had as many wins against the field and a higher RPI.  The SEC guy on the committee is good. 

It's not as cut and dried as inside SEC influence. It all depends on what numbers you look at, but our numbers stack up well against the folks that are bitching (I have bolded things that I think are significant differences):

Air Force. 22-8 (73%) RPI: 32 SoS: 76 Top 50: 1 of 5 Top 100: 6 of 11 Worst 2 Losses: 121 & 137 Last 10 Games: 4 of 10
Drexel. 22-8 (73%) RPI: 42 SoS: 104 Top 50: 2 of 6 Top 100: 5 of 11 Worst 2 Losses: 195 & 199 Last 10 Games: 7 of 10
Syracuse. 22-10 (69%) RPI: 52 SoS: 46 Top 50: 3 of 9 Top 100: 8 of 15 Worst 2 Losses: 113 & 138 Last 10 Games: 7 of 10
K-State. 22-11 (66%) RPI: 58 SoS: 88 Top 50: 2 of 7 Top 100: 5 of 13 Worst 2 Losses: 106 & 173 Last 10 Games: 5 of 10
Arkansas. 21-13 (62%) RPI: 38 SoS: 10 Top 50: 5 pf 10 Top 100: 12 of 23 Worst 2 Losses: 111 & 112 Last 10 Games:6 of 10

When I look at those stats, I see an Arkansas team that has played better opposition and done better against that quality opposition. Our SoS is 1st by a long shot. Our RPI is 2nd only too Air Force and they have only 1 good win and they flamed-out too finish the season. We have faced more top-50 and top-100 teams and did better against them. We didn't lose to Rider, New Mexico *or* William & Mary. We ended the season with a strong tournament run.

You can make arguments in favor of any of these teams because they have more wins. But they got those wins against weaker opposition.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: polandhog on March 11, 2007, 08:15:47 pm

Eric (Kansas)

JOE LUNARDI

Bacon out...

SCREW KANSAS!!!!!

PigDaddyKane

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Hog Realist

He clearly has an inside source...we weren't even on the next four out

booogaga

GO HOGS!

NuttMustGo!

We didn't get a very high seed, but the committee made up for it by giving us two very winnable games!  Also if are boys are playing hard and Thomas's ankle is alright I'm not too scared of the Tar Heels either!!!

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: NuttMustGo! on March 11, 2007, 09:30:39 pm
We didn't get a very high seed, but the committee made up for it by giving us two very winnable games!  Also if are boys are playing hard and Thomas's ankle is alright I'm not too scared of the Tar Heels either!!!

Guess I know who took their optimism pill today.

;)

Bacon out...

Niels Boar

Quote from: wdremington on March 11, 2007, 09:16:14 pm
Quote from: Niels Boar on March 11, 2007, 08:31:16 pm
Lunardi's explanation is BS.  He must have a source.  I'm surprised Arkansas got in ahead of Air Force, Syracuse, and Drexel.  Air Force had as many wins against the field and a higher RPI.  The SEC guy on the committee is good. 

It's not as cut and dried as inside SEC influence. It all depends on what numbers you look at, but our numbers stack up well against the folks that are bitching (I have bolded things that I think are significant differences):

Air Force. 22-8 (73%) RPI: 32 SoS: 76 Top 50: 1 of 5 Top 100: 6 of 11 Worst 2 Losses: 121 & 137 Last 10 Games: 4 of 10
Drexel. 22-8 (73%) RPI: 42 SoS: 104 Top 50: 2 of 6 Top 100: 5 of 11 Worst 2 Losses: 195 & 199 Last 10 Games: 7 of 10
Syracuse. 22-10 (69%) RPI: 52 SoS: 46 Top 50: 3 of 9 Top 100: 8 of 15 Worst 2 Losses: 113 & 138 Last 10 Games: 7 of 10
K-State. 22-11 (66%) RPI: 58 SoS: 88 Top 50: 2 of 7 Top 100: 5 of 13 Worst 2 Losses: 106 & 173 Last 10 Games: 5 of 10
Arkansas. 21-13 (62%) RPI: 38 SoS: 10 Top 50: 5 pf 10 Top 100: 12 of 23 Worst 2 Losses: 111 & 112 Last 10 Games:6 of 10

When I look at those stats, I see an Arkansas team that has played better opposition and done better against that quality opposition. Our SoS is 1st by a long shot. Our RPI is 2nd only too Air Force and they have only 1 good win and they flamed-out too finish the season. We have faced more top-50 and top-100 teams and did better against them. We didn't lose to Rider, New Mexico *or* William & Mary. We ended the season with a strong tournament run.

You can make arguments in favor of any of these teams because they have more wins. But they got those wins against weaker opposition.

I think our case is as good as anybody's, maybe better than all three I mentioned.  Based on RPI resume we should be in.  Our case gets dicey when you look at quality wins against the field.  If Vandy had been seeded only 9 or 10, our case would have looked weak in that regard.  I'm surprised the committee overlooked 7-9 when we benefited from the unbalanced SEC schedule.  Given an excuse, and they had several, they could have left us out.  Having fewer mid-majors than last year is unbelievable.  I would have predicted that would have gotten Drexel or Air Force in the field.

blacksuit

With KState, it's gotta suck going 10-6 in a major conference and not making it. Too bad we're top 10 SoS and we made a run at the right time. Honestly, Syracuse has a better case than they do.

RedSatinHog

If you guys haven't hear Dick Vitale's rant on ESPN about how the Hogs should have been bounced to allow either Drexel, Florida State or Syracuse in, you should tune to ESPN News and listen to it. 

I did, and I'll never listen to another word he says.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

jmark

The selection of 64 teams may not be the fairest way to give Div. 1 schools a chance at the NCAA title. 

How about this:
Postpone the start of the tournament 1 week.  Have play-in games for bubble teams.  Winning teams advance to field of 64, losing teams play for NIT.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: jmark on March 11, 2007, 10:05:32 pm
The selection of 64 teams may not be the fairest way to give Div. 1 schools a chance at the NCAA title. 

How about this:
Postpone the start of the tournament 1 week.  Have play-in games for bubble teams.  Winning teams advance to field of 64, losing teams play for NIT.

Not a bad idea.  I would like 16 play-in games (32 teams) on Tuesday matching up the bottom 32 of an expanded field of 80. 

Bacon out...

nordlaw

How about this:

That sounds pretty cool, but then you would have teams on the bubble for the bubble play-in games. "Bubble-bubble" teams if you will.  ;)

Hogpuddin

Quote from: nordlaw on March 11, 2007, 10:19:41 pm

How about this:

That sounds pretty cool, but then you would have teams on the bubble for the bubble play-in games. "Bubble-bubble" teams if you will.  ;)

I say that we let all 300+ teams play one big tournament.  Sure it might make the season look useless, but at least it would settle some of this.  :)

Hogpuddin

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 11, 2007, 10:30:50 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 11, 2007, 10:26:46 pm

How about this:

I say that we let all 300+ teams play one big tournament.  Sure it might make the season look useless, but at least it would settle some of this.  :)

Yeah and we'd need a 36 x 36 piece of paper to put the bracket on.  Can you imagine the madness?  It would go something like this:

Well we got hosed.  Got the #29 seed in the South-Southwest Region. 

That was the hardest that I have laughed all freakin' week.  If I could applaud you a thousand times I would.  Hi-freakin'-larious!!!

"I've got my NCAA Tournament scroll right here.  Not sure how I'll get it through the fax though."

jbcarol

In the early 80's they expanded from 32 to 48 teams similar to the 80 teams with a play-in game comment but one fewer round.  You got it.  16 teams got a bye and the other 32 played to get it down to 32.

What was happening was that the say 17th to 20-something teams got an easy game in to shake out the nervousness.  Then they were more often beating their better seeded opening round opponent who got a bye.  17th best team gets easy win over 48th team.  Then they play a closely matched 16th team and was winning more often.

Pushed the NCAA to expand to 64 teams.  I like everyone playing the same number of games (don't even like the play-in game).

Take this the right way and think of Arkansas in the glory years of '90-95. We probably don't need to expand to let more mediocre teams who really don't have a chance of winning the whole thing get in just so they can say they are in the tournament.  It seems about right just now.  This upcoming Thursday thru Sunday is the best. 

P.S.  The 48-team field brought back a memory.  U.S. Reed had brought Louisville low in the '81 tourney.  At the time Kentucky would not play Louisville in the regular season.  Denny Crum ran his lip a lot about it.  In '82, Louisville got a bye to play the winner of KY and Middle Tenn St.  KY lost the game (Bowie was out for season) and Louisville did not get their "dream game".  I suspected CBS was doing some matchmaking.

In '83 they set it up for Louisville and Kentucky to meet again and this time it happened in the regional final in Knoxville.  Louisville won an epic OT battle.  The KY Legislature intervened and declared that KY and Louisville must meet each year home-and-home.

Joe B. Hall always said KY had everything to lose and nothing to gain.  In 1984 he beats Louisville in the Regular Season and the NCAA Tourney (CBS again?).  People only wanted to talk about losing to Georgetown and Patrick Ewing in the Final Four.  In 1986 Kentucky (with Sutton) beat Louisville in the regular season and Louisville won the NCAA.  Bumper stickers read, "U of L, First in Nation, Second in State."

And for Denny Crum.  The living embodiment of be careful what you ask for you might get it.  His poor record against Kentucky year after year kept him from being the Frank Broyles of U of L sports.  U of L replaced him with the best salvo they could fire, Rick Pitino (who is not having much better luck).  The good news is that Denny and Joe Hall do a radio show together.

Frank has retired.  Don't fear playing in-state teams.  Keep the guarantee money in your home state.  Dominate the games.  Look like a great sport. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hog in MO

How about this:

I don't think that's necessary.  Where do you draw the line?  I think 65 teams with a shot at the title is plenty - its actually overkill when you consider that maybe 12 of them might have a legit shot at winning it.  Even if you doubled the field to 128 teams you'd still have the same situation of bubble teams complaining about being left out.  We already have a play in - its called the regular season and conference tournaments.  Everybody knows what it takes to get in, they just have to go out and do it.   

AHogalypto

Let em whine all they want, let's see how well they do in the NIT. As for Vitale's comments, that man just has his panties in a wad b/c Duke isn't a #1 or 2 seed this year. That man is so Duke/ACC biased, it's not even funny....well ok it kind of is funny. He thinks Drexel deserves it over us? Who did they beat? As for KSU, three words: strength of schedule and I'm sure Dicky also wants FSU in there just b/c they're from the ACC.

Albert Einswine

How about this:

I believe "Double-Bubble" is the term you're looking for.  ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Big Papa Satan

Break & Run

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 11, 2007, 09:32:19 pm
Quote from: NuttMustGo! on March 11, 2007, 09:30:39 pm

Guess I know who took their optimism pill today.

;)

Bacon out...
You can say watever you want, but I just did one of my five brackets on ESPN.com and I have Arkansas being in the ELITE 8.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

nordlaw

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 11, 2007, 11:46:38 pm

How about this:

I stand corrected. If this happens, I guess we know who the tournament sponsor should be.  :)

I'll bet Bazooka Joe is gonna be very, very upset.

Trottsky

Arrrr, Kansas! Hogs deserve to be in as much as a number of other teams, including a few seeded higher. But won't quibble with their spot. Rest well and give 'em Hell!

Bomis Hawg

Yeah, SOS is one thing.

But, Non-Conference SOS:  Arkansas 35, Kansas State 227.
Records vs NCAAT Teams: Arkansa 4-6; Kansas State 3-6...

Tripod1

If RPI and SOS are numbers these talking heads are ignoring concerning Arkansas, how come those same numbers are so important in determining a NC in football?  It always amazes me how people will ignore facts and numbers to support their lame case.   The Hogs are hot at the moment and SOS, RPI, and HOT spells tourney time baby!!!!

MDH

I'm sick of the hate.  I hope our guys stick it to USC and Texas and shut some of these fools up.

The numbers favor us overall, but they just don't want to admit it because they have their mid-major and ACC infatuation.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

jbcarol

The best revenge for the critics is to play well.  Ask George Washington.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2007, 08:22:41 am
The best revenge for the critics is to play well.  Ask George Washington.

Can't.  He's dead.

Bacon out...

Bomis Hawg

I think they meant George Mason.  Then, again, he's dead also, right?

94 Hawg

at what point did the committee announce that they were going to heavily consider conf. tourneys this year?  I only heard announcers talking abut it yesterday.
prior to this year I don't think they were as important to selection. this may have just been good timing for the hogs, but based on conf. tourney results the field makes sense.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

taoteching

Arkansas had an rpi rating of 0.59

Drexel had an rpi rating of .58

K-State had an rpi rating of .57

The SEC is a very tough conference (we have Florida).

Arkansas made a year end great run.  Arkansas had a great tournament.

Arkansas deserved to be in the NCAA tournament.

I am proud of our team!!

PennHOG

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 11, 2007, 11:46:38 pm

How about this:

Double Bubble Toil and Trouble.  LOL!!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

HawgWyld

Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 11, 2007, 08:32:51 pm
I agree.

They shouldn't be furious with us, they should be furious with the po-dunk teams that got in.

As far as this Lunardi guy;  it is about time someone in the National Media got some common sense.
That's exactly right. The problem with those "feel good" entries that don't stand a chance is that it's hard to make the case that the NCAA tournament features the best teams in the country. That's what the tournament is supposed to be, but how can one say that when these little crap teams that don't stand a chance sneak into the tournament and better teams like, say, Kansas are kept out of it?

jbcarol

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 12, 2007, 08:38:57 am
I think they meant George Mason.  Then, again, he's dead also, right?

I knew it was some George who was dead but had a U. named for him.

Again the fact checking on Hogville.net stellar.  And I really mean that.  Mrs. jb

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2007, 09:34:26 am
I knew it was some George who was dead but had a U. named for him.

Again the fact checking on Hogville.net stellar.  And I really mean that.  Mrs. jb

For everyone 100 posts, a mistake will occur.
VCU might be the next George.

jbcarol

For Bacon (a thought question):

How can you scientifically prove without a doubt that George Mason ever lived?

Answer.  You cannot.  You look at the historical documentation of his life and the current way he struck a chord in the hearts of GM fans when they made the final four and others who maybe researched who George Mason for the first time because of this and had their hearts warmed as well.

Relevance:  Don't ever try to use the cheap and unintelligent device of "You cannot prove without a scientific doubt that (fill in the blank) ever lived?

Not that you would ever do that Bacon, but feel free to use this if it ever comes up in casual conversation.  :)