Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Arkansas solid for an NCAA bid? *Note, tune into ESPN, about to assess ARK

Started by hogfan0307, March 10, 2007, 08:51:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan0307

I hope Arkansas makes it but they are not even getting mentioned as a bubble team (i'm assuming they are on the outside)...what makes you all think they are solid on getting in? I hope they get in as much as anyone, but it appears we really need to win tommorrow to get in

sihog

Quote from: hogfan0307 on March 10, 2007, 08:51:34 pm
I hope Arkansas makes it but they are not even getting mentioned as a bubble team (i'm assuming they are on the outside)...what makes you all think they are solid on getting in? I hope they get in as much as anyone, but it appears we really need to win tommorrow to get in
the hogs are in
GO HOGS GO

BadHog

Half time report commentators (ESPN) just said that we need to win tomorrow - wouldn't want us to count on an at-large bid.   :(
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

SexyBeast77

I don't think Arkansas is in. I think people better brace themselves for the bad news.

Pigonometry

I think we should be but have a bad feeling that we will be the team complaining this eyar if we don't win tomorrow.  If only the SEC got the same respect as the ACC and Big 10...........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Squealers

Quote from: opineonswine on March 10, 2007, 09:13:49 pm
With an RPI of 35, SOS of 12, 5 game winning streak, we are a shoo in.

I agree opine, win lose or draw tomorrow, we are headed to the dance, and Stan will continue on a coach of the Hogs.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

strickark

solid-yes

better win tomorrow or look for the misfortunate 8 or 9 seed

then Steven Hill vs. Greg Oden in Round 2

SexyBeast77

March 10, 2007, 09:26:50 pm #7 Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:29:42 pm by SexyBeast77
right now, the national view on Arkansas seems to be

Lunardi - OUT
Mandel(SI) - OUT
Dance Card - IN
CBS Sportsline - OUT
ESPN Gameday Crew - OUT

If only one said out I'd think he's wrong. With the majority saying we're out, I tend to think we're probably out.

MCPeePants

You would think so.

ESPN's "gurus" (Lunardi, Bilas, Digger, Hubert Davis...) apparently disagree - we weren't even on their radar as of 2 hours ago.

lcd4444

I'm braced for the bad news, if we lose tomorrow.

WBChogfan

I'm just hoping this doubt will motivate the team even more!

hoginsanfran

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on March 10, 2007, 09:26:50 pm
right now, the national view on Arkansas seems to be

Lunardi - OUT
Mandel(SI) - OUT
Dance Card - IN
CBS Sportsline - OUT
ESPN Gameday Crew - OUT

If only one said out I'd think he's wrong. With the majority saying we're out, I tend to think we're probably out.

however, those are all 'pundits', not computer #s

and frequently the committee uses #s as the backbone, and rejects the feelings of pundits... like last year the screamfest over including George Mason (EGG IN YOUR EYE JIM NANTZ!) and rejecting Hofstra

hoginsanfran

Quote from: ASUhogfan on March 10, 2007, 09:30:48 pm
i KNOW, its like can we ever just relax and say "WE ARE IN"???

maybe we NEED the motivation?

SexyBeast77

Man I'm getting relentelessly smited today and I haven't even posted much.
Guess the Huggers don't really care for my new sig. ;D :razorback:

3kgthog

Ask Missouri St. what a high RPI does for you. Left at home is what it gets you. I get the feeling we're out if we lose tomorrow.

Hollywood_HOGan

after we won, i thought we were in today but after listening to everybody else say we're out as of right now...i belive we're probably out unfortunately

some big east or acc team will get the nod over Arkansas im afraid.

hoginsanfran

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 10, 2007, 09:34:24 pm
after we won, i thought we were in today but after listening to everybody else say we're out as of right now...i belive we're probably out unfortunately

some big east or acc team will get the nod over Arkansas im afraid.

if its purdue AND illinois i will scream.

if its 18-12 STANFORD, RPI 67 i will hurl

NaturalStateReb

No.

They finished in a 3-way tie for 8th overall in conference.  Assuming Arkansas were to get in, they'd have to jump over the two teams that finished ahead of them in the West (Ole Miss, State) and one from the East (Georgia).  True, 7-9 Alabama made the tournament in 2003, but Auburn and LSU, both at 8-8, were taken as well.  Ole Miss and State both won a game, and the Rebs have 20 wins.  But neither has a great RPI, and the committee's just not going to take a team in a three-way tie for 3rd in this year's SEC West and leave everyone else at home.

It's do or die tomorrow.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HawgAlude

Why espn said they are a sure in?. Of course they have been wrong before. It could get ugly for Heath if we get this far to fall short. Heath is a standup guy and deserves the benefit of the doubt.. NIT might not be that bad after all. It has to with money which the NIT has none so most likely if Florida wins tomorrow then Heath will be replaced if the hawgs fail to make the NCAAT.

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 10, 2007, 09:36:22 pm
No.

They finished in a 3-way tie for 8th overall in conference.  Assuming Arkansas were to get in, they'd have to jump over the two teams that finished ahead of them in the West (Ole Miss, State) and one from the East (Georgia).  True, 7-9 Alabama made the tournament in 2003, but Auburn and LSU, both at 8-8, were taken as well.  Ole Miss and State both won a game, and the Rebs have 20 wins.  But neither has a great RPI, and the committee's just not going to take a team in a three-way tie for 3rd in this year's SEC West and leave everyone else at home.

It's do or die tomorrow.

If the Hogs do not get in, then the SEC is only getting 4 teams in.  No way does Ole misses or MSU or GA get in.  RPI and SOS way too low for OM and MSU and Ga just didnt win enough games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hview

Lets win our way in...come on hogs give it your best! Just one more game, you can do it. Keep the faith, stay together and fight with all your heart. Lets see the Giant fall!! Go Hogs!!

pharm

If Arkansas is out, then how is Vanderbilt in? You always here about how a team is playing at the end of the season is a factor. We beat Vanderbilt by 15 at their house, and in the same week beat them on a neutral court.

hogsanity

Quote from: pharm on March 10, 2007, 10:10:33 pm
If Arkansas is out, then how is Vanderbilt in? You always here about how a team is playing at the end of the season is a factor. We beat Vanderbilt by 15 at their house, and in the same week beat them on a neutral court.

Because they finished 2nd in the sece.  Because they beat Fla, and Ky twice. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WBChogfan

If we don't get in, the selection committee will be ON NOTICE...perhaps even DEAD TO ME!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: MCPeePants on March 10, 2007, 09:27:35 pm

You would think so.

ESPN's "gurus" (Lunardi, Bilas, Digger, Hubert Davis...) apparently disagree - we weren't even on their radar as of 2 hours ago.

That is TROUBLE for the Hogs, these guys know there stuff.

WBChogfan

With all the BS from the talking heads, I wouldn't be surprised that if we beat florida by 70 points, getting the auto-bid, that they'd be complaining about leaving out the 34th place Big East bubble team.

Hollywood_HOGan

welp looks like we'll have to beat Florida to get in.

Dont agree with it but that may be what has to happen.

UAfan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 10, 2007, 10:12:13 pm

Because they finished 2nd in the sece.  Because they beat Fla, and Ky twice. 
I believe they only beat Florida once I may be wrong though. 

HawgWyld

Quote from: ASUhogfan on March 10, 2007, 09:30:48 pm
Yep. They really responded when their backs were to the wall. Let's hope that continues...

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on March 10, 2007, 09:55:13 pm
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 10, 2007, 09:36:22 pm
No.

It's do or die tomorrow.

If the Hogs do not get in, then the SEC is only getting 4 teams in.  No way does Ole misses or MSU or GA get in.  RPI and SOS way too low for OM and MSU and Ga just didnt win enough games.

I think 4 is too few from the SEC. 

I agree that there are probably 4 locks--Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, and Tennessee.  Ole Miss, State, Arkansas, and Georgia are all hoping for what will probably be a 5th SEC spot. 

I personally think it's State.  Yes, I know about the RPI, but they did win their half of the conference and beat Kentucky in the tourney.  Arkansas can settle the whole thing by winning tomorrow.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Blake Sebo

Hey guys, I asked the editor of bracketography.com as to why he still has Arkansas as his fourth team out. His reply was this . . .

The reasons that things have changed are a) Xavier + Nevada have lost, meaning two fewer at-large bids available and b) Arkansas is not operating in a vacuum.  The nine losses in the SEC West is a major negative...

FYI, the question I asked is why it was said we would be in with three wins and why we are out now.

pignatious

My thought is the Hogs are in unless they get drilled tommorrow. If they play a solid game, I think they make it.
Freedom is never free.

hogfan0307

If anyone is reading this...Midnight Madness on ESPN (11:05 CST) said Arkansas is 1 of the 17 bubble teams fighting for 6 spots and the analysts are going to pick the deserving 6 in the show

hogfan0307

a few of the teams are Ole Miss, Miss St, and Okie St...all of whom Arkansas is ahead of, but finally we are getting mentioned, now hopefully they will stack our resumes against the others and give us a chance!

jry04

We should be in over GT, KSU, Stanford, Drexel, Old Dominion, Vandy, and Oklahoma State. I personally find it insane that everyone has Vandy a lock for the tournament. They aren't even considered on the bubble. However, Arkansas has more wins, a way better RPI and SOS, and they beat them twice in the last week. Yet, we are on the outside looking in? How is that even possible?

WBChogfan

If the Hogs win, we "steal" a bubble team's spot. --per Midnight Madness

RocknRollRazorback

I'm through with college basketball.  The selection process is just as big of a joke as the BCS.  Stanford would be lucky to make the NIT if I were selecting the NIT.
"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

Ironhawg

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2007, 11:14:36 pm
We should be in over GT, KSU, Stanford, Drexel, Old Dominion, Vandy, and Oklahoma State. I personally find it insane that everyone has Vandy a lock for the tournament. They aren't even considered on the bubble. However, Arkansas has more wins, a way better RPI and SOS, and they beat them twice in the last week. Yet, we are on the outside looking in? How is that even possible?

The one thing Vandy has over Arkansas is their regular season conference record; 10-6 vs. 7-9.

Razorback88

Quote from: ASUhogfan on March 10, 2007, 11:14:41 pm
If the Hogs win, we "steal" a bubble team's spot. --per Midnight Madness

No respect.  They have Appalachian State, Drexel, Old Dominion, Stanford and others in front of us.  Our only mention was that beating Florida would steal a bubble spot--essentially saying they don't think we have a chance at an at-large.  Why are we being ignored?

jry04

Quote from: Tomcat on March 10, 2007, 11:18:15 pm
Both ESPN analysts had Stanford in at 18-12.  I doubt any on their list would have won 20 in the SEC...
Their RPI sucks. They have decent wins but they have lost 7 of their last 10. I don't see how they could get in over us, but a lot of people are talking about it. Drexel and Old Dominion are being talked about a lot. Drexel had 5 or 6 conference losses. Their conference is possibly getting 3 bids, but the SEC is only possibly getting 4. If that happens it will be outrageous and the selection committee will be worse than the BCS. The Colonial Conference should not get anywhere near the amount of the SEC.

yraciv

Best I can tell they are telling me if we went 8-8 in conference, and lost to say West Virginia we would be in.  That is complete crap, tell me how this make sense.  We have the 36th rpi and 12th hardest schedule in the nation, but we were 1 win away from 500 in conference, so we're out.

jbcarol

The quality road win against Vandy and Alabama at the time it was done differentiates Arkansas.  The other positive is on a roll at the end.  Check the Arkansas is a Lock and Bubble Teams look for Hope to compare best road wins for the bubble teams if any at all.

Already repeated how important true road wins indicate how you are not as likely to be a one-and-done on a neutral court.  Of course, I don't expect Arkansas to be favored in Round One based on seed but that's why you play the games.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

fullygruntled

I remember the ESPN talking heads last year discussing the selection committee. They felt that if you where out before your conference tournament started, that unless you won it, chances are you are still out no matter how well you did.

WBChogfan

Stanford is what kills me.  STANFORD??? Are they SERIOUS?

That and the mid-major love fest going on.

"I never met a mid-major I didn't like" - Every ESPN pundit

hawgfan80

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 10, 2007, 11:17:45 pm
Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 10, 2007, 11:14:36 pm

The one thing Vandy has over Arkansas is their regular season conference record; 10-6 vs. 7-9.

Yeah, well the Arkansas football team had a better conference record than LSU but the Tigers beat us head to head and they got in the BCS. This is the same situation....only we beat Vandy TWICE in a span of 6 days.

WindyCityHog

RE: "Midnight Madness"....I don't know his name, but the older guy in the crew....the one in the middle....is the former head coach at Vermont, so he really pushes the "mid-majors".

As for the Colonial, that's the conference that George Mason is in....and that should have NOTHING to do with this year....but alas....it somehow does.  Old Dominion and Drexel seem to be good teams....but neither is THAT good.

That said, IF the Hogs lose tomorrow and don't get a bid.....you can kick and scream about the injustice of it all.....but IF the Hogs had taken care of business and beaten Georgia at home and/or a bad South Carolina team on the road, this would probably be a mute point.

The Hogs are on a 5-game winning streak, but beating South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State just doesn't carry the weight nationally as it does for Hog and SEC fans.  That's the cold, hard truth.

The Hogs put themselves in this position....

I hope the Hogs win tomorrow.....so we won't have to squirm.

ak5150

Bubble Watch just used the whole sat night update to give 3 reasons why were are out if we dont win
This thing is going south on us and tomorow may be a sad day for hog fans

jbcarol

Commissioner Mike Slive is the SEC representative on the selection committee.  Interesting that the AD from Kent State is on the committee as well.  Didn't the Hawgs steal Stan Heath from Kent State?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net