Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WRIGHT ST. STOLE THE RAZORBACK FIGHT SONG!!!!!!!!!

Started by _Collin1, March 06, 2007, 10:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

_Collin1

I am not even kidding about this.  I have my Cox DVR going and I just rewinded it 4 times and listened. 

"Carry on with all your might...  for its AAARKANSAS, fight fight fight"

Not even kidding.  The words are probably different, but the band was playing our fight song.  Wright St. IS A FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

NuttinItUp

_Collin1

I found it... I am hurt.   Really hurt.

http://wsuraiders.cstv.com/index-main.html

Go to FANS -->  Fight Song

I am picking Wright St. to win it all cause of their fight song.

WPSRazorbacks

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 06, 2007, 10:08:38 pm
we need to sue

The University of Arkansas doesn't even "own" the fight song. Some scallywags in Texas own it and just let us barrow it from them for "University-related purposes."

:puke:                                                                     :puke:                                                                    :puke:
"I am a humble monkey, Sitting up in here again, But then came the day, I climbed out of these safe limbs, Ventured away, Walking tall, head high up and singing, I went to the city, Car horns, corners and the gritty, Now I am the proudest monkey you've ever seen"

Ex-Trumpet

Who's their band director?  I heard it was some dude named "Heston Nott"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

lunchbox72703

we need to sue

unfortunately we can't.  The UofA doesn't own the song.  They lease the right to use it through a company called "Southern Music" out of San Antonio Texas.

HoopS

lunchbox72703

Quote from: WPSRazorbacks on March 06, 2007, 10:16:05 pm
we need to sue

The University of Arkansas doesn't even "own" the fight song. Some scallywags in Texas own it and just let us barrow it from them for "University-related purposes."

:puke:                                                                     :puke:                                                                    :puke:

great minds think alike, and apparently they read the same articles too LOL ;)

Ouachihog

Wow, that's actually kinda shocking.  I had no idea schools could share fight songs. 

Guess it makes sense, b/c the real owner of the song can allow whoever he/she wants to use it, but it is strange. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Beau McCastlain

That is a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this time I thought we were the only ones!!!  :(   At least they can't have the hog call!!  :razorback:  Here's the funny part: they call themselves the raiders yet a dog or wolf is on their logo!!
"Hey!!! Let's go huntin'!!!"

fred ziffel

Wright State University Fight Song

We are tough,
We are great,
We are Wright State.
We will defeat every foe,
They will know,
We are here,
When we all stand up and cheer...Victory
With our green and our gold,
Raiders onward,
We will fight right and be true,
So let's go, fight, win.
Let the action begin,
We're from W-S-U!

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

V B Porkers

Blight St -- Everything is awful about that place from the coaches on down

WPSRazorbacks

The more I think about this the more pissssssssed off I get. WE DONT EVEN OWN OUR OWN FIGHT SONG!!! Surely the University could scrounge up enough money to pay off the little piss ants who own our song.
"I am a humble monkey, Sitting up in here again, But then came the day, I climbed out of these safe limbs, Ventured away, Walking tall, head high up and singing, I went to the city, Car horns, corners and the gritty, Now I am the proudest monkey you've ever seen"

football17

My h.s. uses the same fight song as Wisconsin... I know Shiloh Christian uses Notre Dames... it happens all the time with high schools.

razor5396

RazorZach

I could give a rat's @$$ about high school. We played the Wisconsin fight song at Charleston, but having another COLLEGE with the same fight song as the U of A is disgraceful. I know quite a bit about fight songs from all over the country but had no idea the UA didn't even own the rights to the fight song. How sad.

I blame Houston.  ;D
"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

"Is this hotel beeper friendly?" -- Alan from "The Hangover" (and Houston Nutt)

"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." -- Michael Scott, "The Office"

lunchbox72703

the last thing Broyles should do in office is to schedule a home and home with Wright State.  The Music might be the same, but the power of the fanbase is not!!!!   WPS!!!!!  Let the Choir of Razorbacks sing high to the Heavens!!!!!!

TorsinAHog

To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hogblade

I always thought the A-R_K-A-N-SAS Arkansas.. never flowed right. I was stupid enough to believe it was written together for some reason, and unique to Arkansas.  I'm way too naive

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: TorsinAHog on March 06, 2007, 10:47:39 pm
They can take the alma mater if they want.

The alma mater goes great to the melody from "Hee Haw"..."You met another and &^&$%$@$#%^ she was gone...

Think about it..."Pure as the dawn on the brow of thy beauty...............Mother of Mothers we sing unto you!"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pragmatic PiG

they may end up stealing arkansas's spot in the dance  >:(

ledhead830

Quote from: football17 on March 06, 2007, 10:33:35 pm
My h.s. uses the same fight song as Wisconsin... I know Shiloh Christian uses Notre Dames... it happens all the time with high schools.

Doesn't Shiloh use When the Saints Go Marching Home as their fight song. That's not exactly the Notre Dame Victory March.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

Big Papa Satan

Stuttgart & Greenwood, off the top of my head, use the Notre Dame song.

Jonesboro, Batesville, and everybody else and their brother play On Wisconsin.

Not to mention that Wynne, Alma, Warren, Mountain Home and a slew of other schools, including Tulane, play different variations of the Washington and Lee Swing.

Schools sharing fight songs ain't anything new.

_Collin1

If Wright St. is going to the dance and we aren't..  who is the high school team?

I got a funny one for you Hogville.....

Imagine Wright St. pulls a George Mason this year and we hear our fight song at theFinal 4?

SPAL

yep, they stole any hopes of arkansas gettin into the dance outside of winning the SECT as well.

_Collin1

Quote from: ledhead830 on March 06, 2007, 11:17:13 pm

Doesn't Shiloh use When the Saints Go Marching Home as their fight song. That's not exactly the Notre Dame Victory March.

What words replaced "Cheer Cheer for Ole Notre Dame"

_Collin1

Quote from: Uncle Ivan™ on March 06, 2007, 11:36:31 pm

Not to mention that Wynne, Alma, Warren, Mountain Home and a slew of other schools, including Tulane, play different variations of the Washington and Lee Swing.

My Alma Mater playes Eye of the Tiger...  rock on Bentonville :)

jwaldhog

Quote from: hogblade on March 06, 2007, 10:52:12 pm
I always thought the A-R_K-A-N-SAS Arkansas.. never flowed right. I was stupid enough to believe it was written together for some reason, and unique to Arkansas.  I'm way too naive

It's actually written as  A-A-A..R-K-A-N..SAS for Arkansas, but no one sings it that way

jwaldhog

You mean HIGH SCHOOLS and small colleges sharing fight songs is nothing new...  Its not something you see very often on the D1 level

SPAL

Quote from: jwaldhog on March 07, 2007, 12:09:53 am

It's actually written as  A-A-A..R-K-A-N..SAS for Arkansas, but no one sings it that way

i did when i sang it...and i also said, rah rah when all the cooler hipper people were singing go hogs after give a cheer.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

humphrey

I think the 3 As are a carry-over from the musical notation indicating that the letter is sung over a range of three different notes.  But, I'm sure the University won't crack down too hard on you for singing it however you want.

LA HAWG

Kinda ironic that they stuck a dagger in our NCAA hopes and we share fight songs.

gumby013

Quote from: humphrey on March 07, 2007, 05:41:47 am

I think the 3 As are a carry-over from the musical notation indicating that the letter is sung over a range of three different notes.  But, I'm sure the University won't crack down too hard on you for singing it however you want.

There is no spelling class, so they don't care...

The Max Swineberg 7

Yeah, I've always wondered about the 3 A's there.  Why is that?  It is stupid.

Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

AirForceHog

I know that Lake Hamilton uses Northwesterns fight song.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Smithian

My HS plays Dixie.  :-X

Worst part about it?

Ole Miss plays it, too.

Fort Smith Southside = 2006 7A-State Champions!

JusticeHawg

Louisiana Tech uses a "secondary" fight song that is also one that UCLA uses.    I have been told that there are several D-1 schools that use the same song.    The high school i came from  also uses the Northwestern fight song.....
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Rod6275

what a bunch of wanna bee's  look at  their code of  conduct:

"A. Conduct yourself in such a manner as to bring credit to you, the Department of Athletics, and the university."

Good  Job ,  you  stole our  fight  song..............
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

HOG71

Oklahoma stole Yale's fight song......I think I would have picked a better one.....boola boola

TorsinAHog

I swear I have heard another team playing the Texas fight song.  I cant remember who it was.  Must have sold their soul for that one.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

xteri

As a former band geek, I must confess that fight songs are one of the most universally reviled musical genres in existence. Somewhere, in the distant corner of the galaxy, I have no doubt that a civilization has imploded solely due to the ongoing usage of these hideous ditties that energize no one.

I'll take 10 seconds of "smack" snippet songs over a fight song anyday. The fans get more involved when you play something aggressive that they recognize. We might as well use an Irish drinking song for our fight song for all the good it does. It would embolden the tavernites at the tailgate, at least.

LJHOG

Even worse, Wright State stole an NCAAT bid with the win over Butler.  Hope it wasn't ours.

Hogblog

Quote from: Beau McCastlain on March 06, 2007, 10:22:16 pm
That is a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this time I thought we were the only ones!!!  :(   At least they can't have the hog call!!  :razorback:  Here's the funny part: they call themselves the raiders yet a dog or wolf is on their logo!!

<---------------- you stole my name Beau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawgWyld

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 06, 2007, 10:16:36 pm
Who's their band director?  I heard it was some dude named "Heston Nott"
Heh.

Dallas Pecan.

Irving Cashew.

Austin Gooberpea...

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 06, 2007, 10:37:40 pm
the last thing Broyles should do in office is to schedule a home and home with Wright State.  The Music might be the same, but the power of the fanbase is not!!!!   WPS!!!!!  Let the Choir of Razorbacks sing high to the Heavens!!!!!!

Please don't suggest it....Broyles will start alternating them with Tennessee Chattanooga. :)

pigsooiec5

Quote from: anonyhog on March 07, 2007, 08:27:44 am
As a former band geek, I must confess that fight songs are one of the most universally reviled musical genres in existence. Somewhere, in the distant corner of the galaxy, I have no doubt that a civilization has imploded solely due to the ongoing usage of these hideous ditties that energize no one.

I'll take 10 seconds of "smack" snippet songs over a fight song anyday. The fans get more involved when you play something aggressive that they recognize. We might as well use an Irish drinking song for our fight song for all the good it does. It would embolden the tavernites at the tailgate, at least.

I totally disagree with you on that one.  Our fight song is great and easily the best thing our band plays.  Now, whether you blame that on the other musical selections or not is another story.  Personally, I think our fight song is great and most of the students seem to really respond well when we play it.  I'd rather hear the fight song over the "Hey Song" (one of my favorite experiences ever was the overpowering "HEY, YOU SUCK!" by the Wisky fans at the Capital 1 Bowl.) or some other random crap that every other band plays.

Ouachihog

Tell that to Michigan, Notre Dame, and USC.  Arguably the 3 best fight songs in the nation. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

_Collin1

God forbid anyone steal Tusk from us....

rzrbaxfan

I've been to a HS football game where both teams used the Notre Dame fight song.  I'm sick of that song now. ::)