Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath Will Be Back Next Year!!!

Started by PorkerOinker, March 03, 2007, 02:25:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

The only real question concerning SH is:  Is he the best that we can get or do?

gopigsgo

On the Hill they are praying for 1-n-done.

WilsonHog

Quote from: razor222 on March 03, 2007, 03:52:18 pm
do you honestly think the orignial poster should be threatened with banishment???????????????????????????????????????????????
Doesn't seem welcoming to me.

It wasn't intended to be.

Why do you care?

Hong Kong Sooey

do you honestly think the orignial poster should be threatened with banishment???????????????????????????????????????????????
Do you honestly think the original poster should have started multiple threads on the same subject within 2 minutes and them get mouthy when he was called on it??????????????????????

Gushugger

Heath should stay and here's why.  It's only been 5 years that he's had a chance to implement HIS coaching, team, and style.  Today I saw (heard actually) a young team (Beverly, Washington and Welsh) play very very well.  Those young players and the guys Stan has been waiting for.  Those are his guys playing his style that he recruited.  The other guys on the team are great players.  Don't get me wrong.  But Heath has only had 5 years to overcome something Nutt never had to.  Racism accusations.

Now I'm not a Nolan fan by any means.  The Red Neck SOB crap was pathetic to say the least.  But when he made his claims of racism it did something to the basketball program that takes YEARS to repair.  Nutt's whining about probation pales in comparison to a black coach trying to convince black kids that the folks in "red neck arkansas" really don't have pitch forks and white hoods at the laundry mat.  Sure we got a few or maybe a couple of good players in Brewer and Modica but Brewer was coming anyway.  A lot of people have forgotten about Nolan's remarks.  Especially the high school kids we are recruiting.  They were in 7th grade when that happened.  They were probably too young to even remember it.

So my point is, it takes a few years to rebuild a program.  Much less one left in shambles and painted as a racist school.  He's rebounding (no pun intended) at this point and has a great team coming back next season.  I would give him next season to prove if he's worth his weight.  Our Fr. this year will have a year under their belt and throw in a freak Steven Hill and Sonny Wheems in the middle and you've got a pretty dang good team.  Good luck Stan.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: razor222 on March 03, 2007, 03:57:20 pm
you might have a point there:)
It's called trolling.  Notice he didn't respond to any of the posts in either thread except to further attempt to start poo.  We value all opinions, and open discussion of them.  Trolls will be destroyed ;D

snoutface

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 03, 2007, 02:55:47 pm
The key question is not what Heath could do with seven seniors, but what he would do with seven scholarships to fill.

I'm not convinced that he has the experience to build a team.

I would prefer to give that task to a veteran coach with a better track record.

Not that it really makes a big difference, but can't you only sign 5 players in one recruiting class.  FWIW, 5 or 7, someone besides Sweet Stan needs to do the signing.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

msams

If Self is willing to come down here then Heath with his non-espressive, botox-looking face can get the hell out.  Its too bad we couldn't hold on to Mike Anderson and never will offer.  Everything he touches turns to gold.  But Arkansas is happy with bronze.

WilsonHog

Quote from: razor222 on March 03, 2007, 04:01:58 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 03, 2007, 03:55:42 pm

It wasn't intended to be.

Why do you care?
Never enjoyed school yard bulling.

It wasn't bullying. It was anti-trolling.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Gushugger on March 03, 2007, 03:58:55 pm
Heath should stay and here's why.  It's only been 5 years that he's had a chance to implement HIS coaching, team, and style.  Today I saw (heard actually) a young team (Beverly, Washington and Welsh) play very very well.  Those young players and the guys Stan has been waiting for.  Those are his guys playing his style that he recruited.  The other guys on the team are great players.  Don't get me wrong.  But Heath has only had 5 years to overcome something Nutt never had to.  Racism accusations.

Now I'm not a Nolan fan by any means.  The Red Neck SOB crap was pathetic to say the least.  But when he made his claims of racism it did something to the basketball program that takes YEARS to repair.  Nutt's whining about probation pales in comparison to a black coach trying to convince black kids that the folks in "red neck arkansas" really don't have pitch forks and white hoods at the laundry mat.  Sure we got a few or maybe a couple of good players in Brewer and Modica but Brewer was coming anyway.  A lot of people have forgotten about Nolan's remarks.  Especially the high school kids we are recruiting.  They were in 7th grade when that happened.  They were probably too young to even remember it.

So my point is, it takes a few years to rebuild a program.  Much less one left in shambles and painted as a racist school.  He's rebounding (no pun intended) at this point and has a great team coming back next season.  I would give him next season to prove if he's worth his weight.  Our Fr. this year will have a year under their belt and throw in a freak Steven Hill and Sonny Wheems in the middle and you've got a pretty dang good team.  Good luck Stan.

Heath will be gone, and here is why:
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 03, 2007, 02:51:59 pm
Next season, we have 8 scholarships to fill.  We can NOT keep a coach who is at the end of his rope with the PTB and HOPE he suddenly learns to coach in the SEC.  What we are seeing right now is not a miraculous improvemnet in coaching, but a team that discovered toughness by stepping outside of the HC's personality.  Steven Hill galvanized this team against MSU, going against the teachings of the mild mannered Heath.  It is a shame Heath hasn't mastered the skill of being nice AND tough in the way that Dean Smith or Coach K have, but he hasn't and he has to go now to protect our ability to recruit next season.  A new coach now will have the opportunity to show a lot of improvemnet next season with the talent on this team.  And that will allow him to recruit very good talent with those scolarships.  A lame duck Heath can't do the same as easily.  Fire him immediately after the SEC Tourney.
Although it may be 7 scholarships instead of 8.  I thought it was 8, but Wilson says 7 and is seldom wrong.

Bomis Hawg

If teams like Kansas and Texas A&M are in the Sweet 16, and Arkansas is not in the NIT, how could that search go quickly?

HouSwine

Deal with Nutt first and give SH another year. Otherwise Stan won't even have to say anything. He appears to have enough class that he wouldn't. The other coaches in the SEC (and elsewhere...like USC), in both FB and BB will. They already have.

The Truth

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 03, 2007, 02:51:59 pm
Quote from: granny grunt on March 03, 2007, 02:45:13 pm
I say integrity and class is something we have in our basketball coach,  and  one more year is not too much to give too keep it in place.   Next year will be much better with several seniors on the team.   Congratulations to Stan Heath and the Razorbacks today and good luck in the SEC Tournament and post season play......  Go Hogs!!!!
Next season, we have 8 scholarships to fill.  We can NOT keep a coach who is at the end of his rope with the PTB and HOPE he suddenly learns to coach in the SEC.  What we are seeing right now is not a miraculous improvemnet in coaching, but a team that discovered toughness by stepping outside of the HC's personality.  Steven Hill galvanized this team against MSU, going against the teachings of the mild mannered Heath.  It is a shame Heath hasn't mastered the skill of being nice AND tough in the way that Dean Smith or Coach K have, but he hasn't and he has to go now to protect our ability to recruit next season.  A new coach now will have the opportunity to show a lot of improvemnet next season with the talent on this team.  And that will allow him to recruit very good talent with those scolarships.  A lame duck Heath can't do the same as easily.  Fire him immediately after the SEC Tourney.

Word.
The Truth hurts.

fred ziffel

The man has integrity and class. He stays. Besides I think he is on the verge of building a good program, believe it or not.
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Gushugger on March 03, 2007, 03:58:55 pm

Heath is a classy guy; even his detractors must admit that. Yet after a mere 5 seasons, Heath is under more heat than Nutt has been in 9 seasons. The problem I have with this is that Heath has an Elite 8 under his belt in his career, while Nutt is 0-9 in attempts to make the BCS or win the SEC. Also, Nutt's a career 3-9 in postseason play (including 1-2 in D I-AA playoffs), and one 10-win season has apparently given him a free ride through multiple off-field scandals. If Nutt is being given another chance, then by all means, Heath deserves at least that.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Lady Hawg Buff

Quote from: PorkerOinker on March 03, 2007, 02:33:18 pm
Keep Stan give him one more year and he will earn 5 more I think he is still learning as a coach and I think Next year will be the defining year for him and will jump start great basketball at Arkansas again.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAT GREAT GAME...YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF...KEEP HEATH AND FIRE HOUSTON!

HouSwine

Also the logic of replacing Heath while he has a good group of seniors doesn't seem to apply to Nutt.

Lady Hawg Buff

Quote from: HouSwine on March 03, 2007, 04:16:54 pm
Also the logic of replacing Heath while he has a good group of seniors doesn't seem to apply to Nutt.

So true...

WilsonHog

March 03, 2007, 04:18:26 pm #68 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:22:07 pm by WilsonHog
Integrity and class is something I want if our coach is producing championships and having some success in the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis. Same with a high graduation rate.

Otherwise, none of that much matters. No coach on the verge of being fired ever kept his job because of class and integrity or graduation rates. People don't buy tickets to watch those variables. 

Nolan was calling Arkansas fans "rednecks" and "turds and a**holes" years before he ever left, and he was graduating virtually no one. Yet he was the toast of the state why? Because he won.

msams

I don't think its a matter of class.  I think its a matter of him with his mild manner pasivism.  If he would only get pissed, throw a basketball, break a clipboard or something.  We have some really good talent on our team, but Heath doesn't give them the win or die attitude.  It pisses me off that he wont give teach them or at least display it.  Maybe he needs to watch an inspirational Disney movie or something, because it would be a miracle for him to turn this program around.  Good win at Vandy.  May the NCAA tournament gods have mercy on our team!   

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 04:06:31 pm
If teams like Kansas and Texas A&M are in the Sweet 16, and Arkansas is not in the NIT, how could that search go quickly?

If Arkansas is in the NIT, the HC is still employed.  You don't start talking to other coaches while you still have one employed.  Ask Auburn. 

It also allows us to immediately start negotiations when one of our target coaches is out of the tourney.  If either Self or Gillispie make it past the Sweet 16, they aren't leaving anyway.  That allows us to move on to our next option immediately. 

Lady Hawg Buff

So if we have a coach with no class or integrity but does OK with the NCAA tournament and winning championships, player's education doesn't seem a high priority, but that's Ok?

So, it's all about $$$$$ filling the seats?  That's a great recruitment tool...certainly not one a parent would want to hear, but it does kind of explain some of the rumorville...that's how it works?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Lady Hawg Buff on March 03, 2007, 04:28:45 pm
So if we have a coach with no class or integrity but does OK with the NCAA tournament and winning championships, player's education doesn't seem a high priority, but that's Ok?

So, it's all about $$$$$ filling the seats?  That's a great recruitment tool...certainly not one a parent would want to hear, but it does kind of explain some of the rumorville...that's how it works?

That's how major college athletics works from coast to coast and all points in between. Always has, and always will. It's not pretty, but reality seldom is.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: PorkerOinker on March 03, 2007, 02:25:03 pm
With the win over Miss St. and Vandy to close out the season and a lame duck AD in place I think he is back next year. Personally I think John White is now running the show in the Athletic Dept. not JFB, and I think Stan will get  next year as he should get he has broke through a huge barrier with this team and their chemistry in the last two games and I would not be suprised at all to see them in the SEC Tourney finals and if so I think if they play their game they can beat anyone they would face in the finals GO STAN and GO HOGS.

My friend, you are so wrong. Heath is gone. I think Heath is gone unless he wins at least 1 game in the NCAA. I got 2 words as to the reason why. DWINDLING ATTENDANCE.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

darth sooie

Logic is out the door, if heath wins the SEC tourney there is no way he is getting fired, forgot about how many wins he would need in the NCAA. Personally, i kinda want heath to return now since there seems to be some real slimy  :puke: folks calling some shots in the AD department so i can stand another year of somebody with a little dignity.

Lady Hawg Buff

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 03, 2007, 04:34:32 pm
Quote from: Lady Hawg Buff on March 03, 2007, 04:28:45 pm

That's how major college athletics works from coast to coast and all points in between. Always has, and always will. It's not pretty, but reality seldom is.

No, it's not pretty...I'm glad I don't have a young man/woman entering in this honestly brutal process.

hogfan47

With the win over Miss St. and Vandy to close out the season and a lame duck AD in place I think he is back next year. Personally I think John White is now running the show in the Athletic Dept. not JFB, and I think Stan will get  next year as he should get he has broke through a huge barrier with this team and their chemistry in the last two games and I would not be suprised at all to see them in the SEC Tourney finals and if so I think if they play their game they can beat anyone they would face in the finals GO STAN and GO HOGS.

Now this is the most common since thing i have read yet.
How can you fire coaches when you have no one to hire a new coach.
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

HouSwine

WilsonHog, It seems you are using the exact same logic for firing Heath that is being used as the excuse for not firing Nutt? Integrity should matter. The lack of it costs more in the long run.

WilsonHog

March 03, 2007, 05:19:51 pm #78 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:23:07 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: HouSwine on March 03, 2007, 05:08:18 pm
WilsonHog, It seems you are using the exact same logic for firing Heath that is being used as the excuse for not firing Nutt? Integrity should matter. The lack of it costs more in the long run.

HouSwine, the key is your second sentence: "Integrity should matter."

But does it? Really? Athletic directors and fans give lip service to it, but that's about it.

Again, I'm speaking in reality. What bought Nolan so much time at Arkansas? Bobby Knight at Indiana? Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV? Woody Hayes at Ohio State?

Wins. Championships.

Would you agree that Tubby Smith is a man of integrity? A fine representative of the University of Kentucky? I think so. Now tell me why Tubby Smith is in trouble in the Commonwealth despite a career mark of 261-80 (.765). You know why, and I do to - the 'Cats haven't been in the Final Four since 1998, and the Big Blue fans are PISSED. According to the SID at Kentucky, the expectation there is simple: win your next game.       

The truth is that integrity, class, and high graduation rates are luxuries in the great majority of programs across the country. In fact, I'll say at all public universities in BCS conferences. Notable exceptions are Duke, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame, but those are all private schools.

College athletics is all about money, and the only thing that makes the green flow like a river is wins. 

HouSwine

I just don't see a compelling enough reason to pull the trigger this year and too many long term and costly risks, including both long long term reputation and possibly money.
Winning, even if it took a desire to support your coach at the end of the season is better than losing because of the coaching staff's disfunction and lack of integrity at the end ot the season.
You're generally right of course with one exception. Filling seats is probably even more important than winning.

WilsonHog

March 03, 2007, 05:43:02 pm #80 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:44:47 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: HouSwine on March 03, 2007, 05:35:36 pm
I just don't see a compelling enough reason to pull the trigger this year and too many long term and costly risks, including both long long term reputation and possibly money.
Winning, even if it took a desire to support your coach at the end of the season is better than losing because of the coaching staff's disfunction and lack of integrity at the end ot the season.
You're generally right of course with one exception. Filling seats is probably even more important than winning.

Assume Mustain and Nutt had a great relationship. Assume there never was an e-mail. Assume Malzahn and Nutt got along like brothers.

Now assume we were 7-5 this year.

Would Houston Nutt still be around?

Of course not. But the reverse of all those things DID happen, and we won 10 games.............and Nutt is still here.

That tells you all you need to know about the relative importance of integrity and winning.

RedRock

we just beat Vandy and Miss State.  Have you forgotten that Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Auburn are also playing in the SEC tournament?  Lay off the leaf, brutha.

TOM "tbw1"

Please tell me that this talented group of players deserved to finish behind Ole Miss, MSU, and Bama in the worst Western Division in history.

Coaching is teaching talent to win.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

HouSwine

True...Ask SMU if it can go too far.

Razorod

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 03, 2007, 05:43:02 pm

Assume Mustain and Nutt had a great relationship. Assume there never was an e-mail. Assume Malzahn and Nutt got along like brothers.

Now assume we were 7-5 this year.

Would Houston Nutt still be around?

Of course not. But the reverse of all those things DID happen, and we won 10 games.............and Nutt is still here.

That tells you all you need to know about the relative importance of integrity and winning.
[/quote]

But what if Heath happens to win 20 games. That's just two wins in the SEC tourney.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if we're playing next Saturday, then Heath has probably saved his job.

The problem with both Gillispie and Self is that they are not slam dunks to come here. They may, they may not. As Biggus has said, he doesn't trust the UA administration to get the job done.

What if we throw 2 million at Gillispie and the Aggies match it.  They can, will they is the question. Would Gillispie come? Self is already at 1.6 million plus an all time top five program. I don't think we'll know if Self would come until the tourney is over. What if Kansas makes it to the Final Four or the Champioship game? They'll be a one seed for sure if they get to the finals of the Big XII tournament, that greatly increases their chances for a deep run in the tourney and the Roy Williams monkey on Self's back will get a lot smaller. If that happens, why would Self come?

And if you can't get Gillispie or Self, why be in all that big a hurry to get rid of Heath? I don't see any other realistic candidates out there that I'm all THAT excited about. Certainly not excited enough to go through any kind of racial public relations nightmare for them. There are some candidates that are young that I'd like to see how they do with another year or two at their institution--Doc Sadler and Travis Ford to name two--but I'm not sure about either one at this moment.

Bottom line, unless we know we can get Self or Gillispie, I don't know if we need to be in that big a hurry to fire Heath.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

razorsox

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 03, 2007, 03:19:07 pm
Quote from: ceegar on March 03, 2007, 03:17:45 pm
Stan stays if they get 20 wins and get into the NCAA-T and win 2 games there. 
Stan stays if they win the SEC-T regardless of if they win in the NCAA-T.
Otherwise he is gone.

He is gone.  Period. 
Dude if he wins the SEC-T, he will not be gone unless it is of his choosing. 
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

jbcarol

Al Jefferson threw down 32 points and grabbed 18 rebounds today.  That would have helped.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

huntindoc

I suddenly realized this afternoon that I was excited about a home win against MSU and a road win against Vandy in successive games.....that should be expected at Arkansas not something to be excited about.

Stan is one classy guy but it's time to go.

hd :razorback:

WilsonHog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 03, 2007, 06:22:44 pm
Al Jefferson threw down 32 points and grabbed 18 rebounds today.  That would have helped.

Mike Conley became Ohio State's single-season assist leader today. That would have helped.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: razorsox on March 03, 2007, 06:20:56 pm
Otherwise he is gone.

He is gone.  Period. 
Dude, I'm not predicting.  I'm reporting.  He's done.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 03, 2007, 07:01:58 pm
Otherwise he is gone.

He is gone.  Period. 

Hong Kong!  Still making friends, I see.  You charmer, you.  LOL!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Lake City Hog

I keep hearing that Stan should be given another year to see what he can do. It really does'nt take 5 years to see if a guy can coach, look at Tenn. with Pearl and Ole Miss with Kennedy. Immediate improvement with basically the same team from the previous year. Was it Bear that siad I'll beat you with my team then coach your team and beat you with them? A good coach can coach and it shows right now. It may take a few years to turn it into his program and it may take a few years to see if the guy can recruit, but his ability as a coach is apparent quickly. Sorry to say but Stan is out of his league right now, not his fault just a bad hire.

james

31to6

March 03, 2007, 07:20:28 pm #92 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:26:57 pm by wdremington
Mr. Wolf in Pulp Fiction has a famous quote about what we shouldn't start doing just yet...

Go Hogs. Good for Stan. I still think his style is boring as hell, but he is classy and I do wish him well.

But I still think that he needs a strong showing in the SECCT and at least one win in the NCAAT for him to deserve to keep his job. If we don't think he will have us in the Final Four within 3 years, there is no reason to stick with him.

Newhopehog

A shame these same standards do not apply to the football program...

jbcarol

Quote from: wdremington on March 03, 2007, 07:20:28 pm
Mr. Wolf in Pulp Fiction has a famous quote about what we shouldn't start doing just yet...

Go Hogs. Good for Stan. I still think his style is boring as hell, but he is classy and I do wish him well.

But I still think that he needs a strong showing in the SECCT and at least one win in the NCAAT for him to deserve to keep his job. If we don't think he will have us in the Final Four within 3 years, there is no reason to stick with him.

You're right about Mr. Wolf's quote WD: 

"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character." 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 03, 2007, 07:01:58 pm
Otherwise he is gone.

He is gone.  Period. 
no way he is back next year. i bet anything that the wheels have already begun turning, and the PTB have a pretty good idea of who our next HC will be.

they would not have went public with their displeasure of heath unless they had gotten some really good feedback on some top notch guys.

we could do a lot worse than stan heath, but we can do sooo much better.