Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Am Saddened For Stan Heath and His Family

Started by dhornjr1, February 26, 2007, 06:06:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

I truly hate that it has come down to either make the NCAA Tournament or he's out.

Coach Heath has been a class act ever since he arrived on campus. I certainly hoped that he would be able to inject enthusiasm into the moribund basketball program. However, he has not demonstrated that he can at this juncture.

I wish good luck to Coach Heath and I hope that he can find success wherever he chooses to go.

Porkem

You shouldn't feel sorry at all for a guy making almost a million dollars a year.  He, pure and simple, did not win enough games.  Do you think he feels sorry for you?
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

lbaileysr

Shoe Strings

I don't feel sorry for him, I'm just frustrated that with two coaches on the hot seat, we're going to cut loose the one with integrity and professionalism.  I'm upset we're not cleaning house.  For all the "right" reasons, we're firing the wrong one.

polandhog

Quote from: butchdavisisback on February 26, 2007, 06:16:29 pm
You shouldn't feel sorry at all for a guy making almost a million dollars a year.  He, pure and simple, did not win enough games.  Do you think he feels sorry for you?

as much as i don't want to bring up the 'race' thing, i DO feel sorry for their treatment simply for being black.  whine all you want at me, and i'm a conservative even, but the heath CHILDREN, ms heath, and stan himself have been pretty much continuously berated for being black for 5 years -- at school, at stores, at games, whatever.

and this is BEFORE ramona ever said we were 'rednecks'.

i do feel sorry he didn't get it done, but i think yes it's not like the man is homeless....

dhornjr1

No, I'm sure that I am the last person on Stan Heath's mind right now.

Money aside, I consider him to be a quality person and a classy individual. I am sure that his family is hurting right now as a result of these latest developments.

I'm sure you can say that they can cry all the way to the bank and I can't argue with that. However, I never like it when I see someone of high character and integrity lose a job.

dhornjr1

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 06:19:21 pm

as much as i don't want to bring up the 'race' thing, i DO feel sorry for their treatment simply for being black.  whine all you want at me, and i'm a conservative even, but the heath CHILDREN, ms heath, and stan himself have been pretty much continuously berated for being black for 5 years -- at school, at stores, at games, whatever.

i do feel sorry he didn't get it done, but i think yes it's not like the man is homeless....

His wife called Arkansas fans rednecks? I hadn't heard that one.

holtzhog

Good example of reality when you don't produce

N HOG

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 26, 2007, 06:20:46 pm

Money aside, I consider him to be a quality person and a classy individual. I am sure that his family is hurting right now as a result of these latest developments.

I'm sure you can say that they can cry all the way to the bank and I can't argue with that. However, I never like it when I see someone of high character and integrity lose a job.

Integrity is not in big demand on The Hill right now.

dhornjr1

I'm not saying I don't think he should be gone. I think he should. It still makes me sad to see it.

Much rather see Nutt kicked to the curb.

dhornjr1

Quote from: N HOG on February 26, 2007, 06:23:14 pm

Integrity is not in big demand on The Hill right now.

Therein lies the rub. That's why Heath is gone and the email twins are riding high.

gopigsgo

I have a hard time feeling bad for anyone who makes their type of money. I am not anti Stan either. He just didn't get the job done.

Hogpuddin

I agree.  100%.  He just should have done more to win.  Shown more fire like McCurdy did.

This post, however, strikes me as odd.  I am not trying to argue, just curious.  Are you a friend of the Heath Family? 

How come some people always post things like this, but everyone that I know and talk to personally (myself included) never mention that they see or hear anything like this?  There's always one person that makes these comments, but not very many other people who are around the situation ever seem to take notice of it.  And I am talking about people that would take offense to it.

lovethosehogs

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 26, 2007, 06:06:07 pm
I truly hate that it has come down to either make the NCAA Tournament or he's out.

Coach Heath has been a class act ever since he arrived on campus. I certainly hoped that he would be able to inject enthusiasm into the moribund basketball program. However, he has not demonstrated that he can at this juncture.

I wish good luck to Coach Heath and I hope that he can find success wherever he chooses to go.

+1 for posting my same sentiments & using the word "moribund" . . . .  It's time for SH to move on.  It's time for us to move on.  Pay SH his money and let's open up our "DEEP" pockets for Gillispie or Self!
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

hOUSTon NUTT

Look, Nolan, we get it, you're still upset.  No need to keep playing the race card. 

BTW, how did Stan, his wife, and children get racially mistreated at the store?  Must have missed that story...

VetRock

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 26, 2007, 06:06:07 pm

+1
"Gaps!"
"Gaps?"
"Yeah, Gaps.  She got gaps, I got gaps, together we got no gaps."
---From The Movie "Rocky"

polandhog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 26, 2007, 06:28:58 pm

Look, Nolan, we get it, you're still upset.  No need to keep playing the race card. 

BTW, how did Stan, his wife, and children get racially mistreated at the store?  Must have missed that story...

yes, you did miss it.  because unlike FWD: FUNNY! DIANA, they don't talk as much.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 06:31:27 pm

yes, you did miss it.  because unlike FWD: FUNNY! DIANA, they don't talk as much.

Any response to my previous question, Poland, would be appreciated.

hOUSTon NUTT

Oh, so you're saying I missed the story because there was no story.  Must be true then.  Thanks for the clarification.  You know, abusing Nutt has nothing to do with the need to remove Stan.  While I'm sad that his family will have to relocate, that comes with the territory in college ball, and I'm pretty sure they knew that when they moved here...

Hogpuddin

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 26, 2007, 06:33:21 pm

Oh, so you're saying I missed the story because there was no story.  Must be true then.  Thanks for the clarification.  You know, abusing Nutt has nothing to do with the need to remove Stan.  While I'm sad that his family will have to relocate, that comes with the territory in college ball, and I'm pretty sure they knew that when they moved here...

I'm with you Ouster; that is one of the reasons that they pay college coaches the big bucks.  By the way, I, too, have never heard anything at all relating to this until now.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 26, 2007, 06:35:41 pm

So I shouldn't feel for him having to relocate?  His kids don't make a million per year.  Hey, I agree it's time for him to go.  But unless the kids and wife absolutely hate it here, then yes I still feel for him.  Now, the million bucks just insures they don't go hungry, etc.  But I imagine it's still hard on him and his family.  I'm sure all the kids at school are talking nice about his dad. 

I can just hear those mature 16 year olds saying, "I just hate that your dad has to leave since you all have so much class."   ::)

That being said, I would still make the move for him to leave.  But I don't see what's so wrong with having some compassion for him and his family during the move.

Very well said, Fresh Legs. You and I have been on the same page for some time in the belief that Heath just was not going to get it done at Arkansas. That(and millions of dollars) doesn't change the fact that I think he is a decent human being with feelings. His kids will take it harder than everyone else, though.

Recent events with our notorious football coach have reinforced my opinion of Stan Heath. That is the reason why this is sad.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 26, 2007, 06:35:41 pm

So I shouldn't feel for him having to relocate?  His kids don't make a million per year.  Hey, I agree it's time for him to go.  But unless the kids and wife absolutely hate it here, then yes I still feel for him.  Now, the million bucks just insures they don't go hungry, etc.  But I imagine it's still hard on him and his family.  I'm sure all the kids at school are talking nice about his dad. 

I can just hear those mature 16 year olds saying, "I just hate that your dad has to leave since you all have so much class."   ::)

That being said, I would still make the move for him to leave.  But I don't see what's so wrong with having some compassion for him and his family during the move.

+1.  Not because of who you are, but because of what you said!

Preston Lewis

Regardless of your feelings about his coaching, Coach Heath deserves the full 100% support of all the University officials until he is dismissed.  I doubt KNWA would have reported though without really solid sources.  And that means that someone is talking.

Sure fans will speculate, but in absence of misconduct Stan deserves respect and dignity throughout his tenure.  Talking to the media about ultimatums is in poor taste.  You can always pull the plug later, but inviting media attention and speculation isn't respectful.  And while Coach Heath may have not delivered as many W's as some want, he has delivered tons of class.       

ilovepinebluff

He maybe making almost a million a year, but that doesnt mean the man doesnt have feelings. Dont you think he feels a little sad right now? He has busted his butt trying to win, but its just not happening. The system that worked for him at Kent State doesnt work in the SEC. He has put much time and effort trying to win, and now he is getting fired. Yes, I feel sorry for him too.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: Hogpuddin on February 26, 2007, 06:38:04 pm

I'm with you Ouster; that is one of the reasons that they pay college coaches the big bucks.  By the way, I, too, have never heard anything at all relating to this until now.

Thanks, and I'm pretty sure people weren't constantly berating the Heath family for their pigment.  You know, after every road loss and the repeated inability to maximize his talent over the past 3 years, I never once thought to myself, "I'd like him more if he were white."

The bashing Stan has taken, which is nominal compared to Nutt & Co. (not that it's undeserved to an extent mind you) has nothing to do with race. 

Some of you people need to get over yourselves....

hog caller

i think if heath is cut loose then i'll have to believe NolAN WAS RIGHT. NUTT HAD 2 LOSING SEASONS IN A ROW AND NOW IS KING OF THE HILL. HEATH GOT TO THE NCAA BUT LOST IN 1ST ROUND BUT HE GOT THERE. i feel sorry for him and his family to have to relocate but it won't be as bad for them and the tyoun corporal that has to move his wife and two children from Norfolk VA to calif. oh the govt' pays travel and will move your belongings but the travel pay usually doens't cover the expences and stan doesn't have to worry about that

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: hog caller on February 26, 2007, 06:41:49 pm
i think if heath is cut loose then i'll have to believe NolAN WAS RIGHT. NUTT HAD 2 LOSING SEASONS IN A ROW AND NOW IS KING OF THE HILL. HEATH GOT TO THE NCAA BUT LOST IN 1ST ROUND BUT HE GOT THERE. i feel sorry for him and his family to have to relocate but it won't be as bad for them and the tyoun corporal that has to move his wife and two children from Norfolk VA to calif. oh the govt' pays travel and will move your belongings but the travel pay usually doens't cover the expences and stan doesn't have to worry about that

?

-1 for indiscriminate use of the CAPS LOCK. 

Hogpuddin

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 26, 2007, 06:41:01 pm

Thanks, and I'm pretty sure people weren't constantly berating the Heath family for their pigment.  You know, after every road loss and the repeated inability to maximize his talent over the past 3 years, I never once thought to myself, "I'd like him more if he were white."

The bashing Stan has taken, which is nominal compared to Nutt & Co. (not that it's undeserved to an extent mind you) has nothing to do with race. 

Some of you people need to get over yourselves....

Could not agree more, I don't believe that race has ever been an issue with his pending (and I say that loosely) termination.

polandhog

February 26, 2007, 06:45:33 pm #29 Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:48:10 pm by polandhog

yeah, you guys just keep telling yourselves that....  i know its hard to believe but message board users a little bit more educated/reserved/who knows maybe even 'open minded' than joe q. huntsville.  in the real world there are things said that hurt a little bit more than a " -1 smite for karma ".

but carry on and rationalize

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 06:45:33 pm

yeah, you guys just keep telling yourselves that....

Thanks Poland.  Let us know when you come up with more than 1 verifiable instance of racism toward the Heath family.  Then we'll listen.  BTW, verifiable does not equal "I heard" or "I have sources," or "I know someone close to the family."

polandhog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 26, 2007, 06:47:41 pm

Thanks Poland.  Let us know when you come up with more than 1 verifiable instance of racism toward the Heath family.  Then we'll listen.  BTW, verifiable does not equal "I heard" or "I have sources," or "I know someone close to the family."

lol, i'm gonna post them anonymously on the internet for the world to see? oo yah, what do i have to lose?

Tool.  read my response above this again.

Hogpuddin

Poland, we're not arguing with you, we just want you to back up what you are saying.  I could come on here and say that Al Gore invented the internet, but you probably wouldn't believe it until I told you that I was a Presidential Scribe for President Clinton (which isn't true, I just used that as a poor example to get my point across  ;) ).

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 06:49:08 pm
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 26, 2007, 06:47:41 pm

lol, i'm gonna post them anonymously on the internet for the world to see? oo yah, what do i have to lose?

Tool.  read my response above this again.

No need for that.  All you're doing is making anonymous allegations on the internet.  Backing them up, even anonymously, would be a step up from a naked, anonymous claim. 

dhornjr1

It's not so much the relocating and the travel expenses.

It's leaving Arkansas with your tail tucked between your legs knowing that you could not accomplish what you set out to do.

It's having people on message boards, in newspapers, on TV and radio call you a failure.

It's having your kids come home from school saying, "Daddy, Johnny said you were a loser and you are gonna get fired from your job. Is it true daddy?"

It may be true but it still hurts.

A man like Stan Heath will be the first to admit that he failed in delivering a consistent winner to Arkansas. He won't make excuses. He won't talk about how difficult it was in following Nolan Richardson.

He will shoulder the blame himself.

Like a man.

HeathWimp

Amen to that!
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Hogpuddin

i know its hard to believe but message board users a little bit more educated/reserved/who knows maybe even 'open minded' than joe q. huntsville. 
END OF QUOTE FROM POLANDHOG.

I do not wish to argue, you're just making claims that you are not backing up.  It is hard to get away with that on here; even with us dumb, uneducated hicks. 

By the way, curiousity wants me to ask why you picked "Huntsville."  Are you from there?

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 26, 2007, 06:52:26 pm

It's leaving Arkansas with your tail tucked between your legs knowing that you could not accomplish what you set out to do.

It's having people on message boards, in newspapers, on TV and radio call you a failure.

It's having your kids come home from school saying, "Daddy, Johnny said you were a loser and you are gonna get fired from your job. Is it true daddy?"

A man like Stan Heath will be the first to admit that he failed in delivering a consistent winner to Arkansas. He won't make excuses. He won't talk about how difficult it was in following Nolan Richardson.

Like a man.

+1 to that. Great Post.

Man, use some punctuation or something. That's nearly unreadable. But if your point is that Nolan is right, then you are wrong.

HeathWimp

Ramona was complaining about racial discrimination when she first flew out of XNA.  Apparently she was subjected to some additional screening (like many people), and immediately played the race card.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Pigskin_Porker

Like a man.

Heath also should know what a huge opportunity he was given to be HC @ Arkansas and he just didn't get the job done.  I'm confident that he gave his all for 5 years.  It's sad he didn't succeed.  If it doesn't work out the 1st time just try again.  SH will probably be a great HC on the mid-major level or Juco level; just not SEC or Big East or ACC level.  I hope he and his family find success at their next school.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

Hogpuddin

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 26, 2007, 07:00:44 pm
Ramona was complaining about racial discrimination when she first flew out of XNA.  Apparently she was subjected to some additional screening (like many people), and immediately played the race card.

You're right, a lot of people go through that very same frustrating process, regardless of race and/or gender.

tannerspapa

I think it is sad when good decent people don't do well and have to be fired. IT is ridiculous to bring RACE into this equation. IT is insulting to everybody with a conscience. This has to do entirely with results.

The basketball program won a NC and three final fours in the ninety's. The football program has never been truly a power in the SEC. The basketball program has missed the tourney now four out of five years under heath. Assuming we miss this year. The minimal acceptable standard for the basketball program is making the NCAAT. Maybe , MAYBE, missing once every five years, (a mitigating factor might be how deep we went in the tourney and if a final four was included in the four years we went.

The football program's minimal acceptable standard has NEVER been established since we joined the SEC. A bowl game has been ok and winning the west once every three years appeared to be progress. Agree or Disagree he was PAID to stay at UA and not go to NEB. HE evidently even negotiated the two losing seasons and the ole grey haired devil accepted the blame for those due to the HARROD scandal. You dont have to like any of that or agree or with it, but those are the facts of the matter.

Since then, He has posted a ten win season, (albeit with an implosion and 3 straight losses followed by scandal.) I believe, the aftermath of which has established an even higher standard for the football program. I do not believe anything less than an outright SEC champioinship, A bcs bowl victory, or a national championship Will relieve the pressure to win ten.

On a side note it appears that either the PTB do not believe HDN was grievously in error with his behavior or it does not matter. He did just get a vote of confidence in a public statement from his  REAL boss, and added to by his immediate superior.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on February 26, 2007, 07:00:52 pm

Like a man.

Heath also should know what a huge opportunity he was given to be HC @ Arkansas and he just didn't get the job done.  I'm confident that he gave his all for 5 years.  It's sad he didn't succeed.  If it doesn't work out the 1st time just try again.  SH will probably be a great HC on the mid-major level or Juco level; just not SEC or Big East or ACC level.  I hope he and his family find success at their next school.

All true. I am not certain that he was really ready to be at a big-time Division 1 program. I think a few more years at a mid-major would have provided the seasoning that he would have needed to succeed at an SEC school.

Not many coaches can step right into a pressure cooker like the SEC and succeed without plenty of experience at a smaller school.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: tannerspapa on February 26, 2007, 07:04:33 pm
I think it is sad when good decent people don't do well and have to be fired. IT is ridiculous to bring RACE into this equation. IT is insulting to everybody with a conscience. This has to do entirely with results.

The basketball program won a NC and three final fours in the ninety's. The football program has never been truly a power in the SEC. The basketball program has missed the tourney now four out of five years under heath. Assuming we miss this year. The minimal acceptable standard for the basketball program is making the NCAAT. Maybe , MAYBE, missing once every five years, (a mitigating factor might be how deep we went in the tourney and if a final four was included in the four years we went.

The football program's minimal acceptable standard has NEVER been established since we joined the SEC. A bowl game has been ok and winning the west once every three years appeared to be progress. Agree or Disagree he was PAID to stay at UA and not go to NEB. HE evidently even negotiated the two losing seasons and the ole grey haired devil accepted the blame for those due to the HARROD scandal. You dont have to like any of that or agree or with it, but those are the facts of the matter.

Since then, He has posted a ten win season, (albeit with an implosion and 3 straight losses followed by scandal.) I believe, the aftermath of which has established an even higher standard for the football program. I do not believe anything less than an outright SEC champioinship, A bcs bowl victory, or a national championship Will relieve the pressure to win ten.

On a side note it appears that either the PTB do not believe HDN was grievously in error with his behavior or it does not matter. He did just get a vote of confidence in a public statement from his  REAL boss, and added to by his immediate superior.

Well said.  Well said.

polandhog

Quote from: Hogpuddin on February 26, 2007, 07:03:28 pm

You're right, a lot of people go through that very same frustrating process, regardless of race and/or gender.

:) LOL, so that means no "real" discrim-y-nayshunn ever happened, 'twas just all in her head after that????

Give me a break, you have ZERO idea what u r talking about --- and goodnight.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 07:09:10 pm

:) LOL, so that means no "real" discrim-y-nayshunn ever happened, 'twas just all in her head after that????

Give me a break, and goodnight.

Oh yeah, nice comeback.  You never really answer a serious question and attack someone on here that you do not even know.  Good work.  Way to run.

Again, I am not arguing, we just wanted some factual information.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: Hogpuddin on February 26, 2007, 07:11:49 pm
Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 07:09:10 pm

Give me a break, and goodnight.

Oh yeah, nice comeback.  You never really answer a serious question and attack someone on here that you do not even know.  Good work.  Way to run.

Again, I am not arguing, we just wanted some factual information.

You know, I like to have a little fun with people on the board, especially HKS (I know you're out there), but that was mere flame-baiting and sheer ignorance.  I'm glad poland is gone for the night.  That man needs to sober up...

Pigskin_Porker

2 DOWN             ,       2 TO GO

Frank Broyles & Stan Heath, Houston Nutt & Susie Gardner