Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those who want Billy Gillispie...

Started by RhodeHog, February 25, 2007, 02:02:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brodie_hawg

If self and gillespie dont work, maybe we should do a two for one deal with louisville.  I hear they have a great yound AD.  We can  hire the AD and he can bring pitino with him.

dotnet

Quote from: BRC0180 on February 25, 2007, 04:36:24 pm
Quote from: stronguard on February 25, 2007, 04:17:27 pm
Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 04:11:24 pm
Quote from: doo-ran on February 25, 2007, 04:00:16 pm
Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 03:55:01 pm
Good point.  There are two options:

A: go to a school and be one of many good coaches that have been there.  Have no idea who your boss will be next year.  And work with players that have a totally different work ethic and are used to the opposite type of coach than you are.

B: stay at a school that will pay you as much as any other school.  Know and like who your boss is, someone dedicated to winning.  Become an absolute legend at a place that thinks you are a god.  Stay there until you make them build a new arena that they will have to name after you.  Coach players who play the best defense in the big 12, will do anything you ask, and include a top ten player next year that will dominate the big 12 south.
If your saying BG or BS (no pun intended) would take option "B" over option "A" then we don't need either of them here. We need someone who will take the present challenge and surpass it. Not another coach settling for mediocrity.

A good coach will choose option "B". A great coach will take option "A". I want a coach to take the first option. Option "A"

What?  How does taking option A make you a great coach?  How does option B settle for medocrity?  You can make just as much money, recruit just as well, and therefore win just as many championships at A&M as you can at Arkansas. 

He is currently a god in College Station.  How much greater do you want to be?  Go where no man has gone before or walk into a jacked up situation like Arkansas is now?

He is only a god until Franchione wins a few games and he loses Law.  Then it is right back to being the #2 sport at the #2 university in Texass.  Great coaches aspire to greatness, he has a better chance to achieve greatness at the U of A.  Oh, and just think how he would be treated around here when he turned aroound our program.  NuttyBuddy is treated like royalty by alot of fans because we get the equivalent of the NIT every year, STANLEY has sucked for 5 years and folks are just now beginning to turn on him.  Gillespie has a system and a plan that has been successfully implemented at a major university.  It would work here and his reward would be so much greater than it would in Aggieland.

Pal

He is at home.

They will pay him whatever he wants.

He has lottery picks lining up to come to A&M.

They bought/furnished a 3500sq foot home for him (w/a bedroom office, complete with 75,000.00 video editing setup.)

They provide a cleaning service (cleans his home 3 times a week, as well as do the grocery shopping for him)

Texas men want to be him, and their wives want to be with him...............

And your talking about the potential rewards being greater on the hill.  Get ready for spring football, cause you ain't got a clue about whats happening in the real world of college basketball.

And I thought I had Billy G envy.  Either way, I obviously agree

dotnet

Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 25, 2007, 04:37:58 pm
If self and gillespie dont work, maybe we should do a two for one deal with louisville.  I hear they have a great yound AD.  We can  hire the AD and he can bring pitino with him.

You're kidding right?  Forget that.

Make it 3 for 1 and get them to bring Kragthorpe too.  I would think he would have no problems bringing Gus back either.  I think they have a relationship.

dmac_iz_kin

A: go to a school and be one of many good coaches that have been there.  Have no idea who your boss will be next year.  And work with players that have a totally different work ethic and are used to the opposite type of coach than you are.

B: stay at a school that will pay you as much as any other school.  Know and like who your boss is, someone dedicated to winning.  Become an absolute legend at a place that thinks you are a god.  Stay there until you make them build a new arena that they will have to name after you.  Coach players who play the best defense in the big 12, will do anything you ask, and include a top ten player next year that will dominate the big 12 south.
If your saying BG or BS (no pun intended) would take option "B" over option "A" then we don't need either of them here. We need someone who will take the present challenge and surpass it. Not another coach settling for mediocrity.

A good coach will choose option "B". A great coach will take option "A". I want a coach to take the first option. Option "A"

What?  How does taking option A make you a great coach?  How does option B settle for medocrity?  You can make just as much money, recruit just as well, and therefore win just as many championships at A&M as you can at Arkansas. 

He is currently a god in College Station.  How much greater do you want to be?  Go where no man has gone before or walk into a jacked up situation like Arkansas is now?

He is only a god until Franchione wins a few games and he loses Law.  Then it is right back to being the #2 sport at the #2 university in Texass.  Great coaches aspire to greatness, he has a better chance to achieve greatness at the U of A.  Oh, and just think how he would be treated around here when he turned aroound our program.  NuttyBuddy is treated like royalty by alot of fans because we get the equivalent of the NIT every year, STANLEY has sucked for 5 years and folks are just now beginning to turn on him.  Gillespie has a system and a plan that has been successfully implemented at a major university.  It would work here and his reward would be so much greater than it would in Aggieland.

Pal

He is at home.

They bought/furnished a 3500sq foot home for him (w/a bedroom office, complete with 75,000.00 video editing setup.)

They provide a cleaning service (cleans his home 3 times a week, as well as do the grocery shopping for him)

And your talking about the potential rewards being greater on the hill.  Get ready for spring football, cause you ain't got a clue about whats happening in the real world of college basketball.

I'm afraid you are way off base on this one brother.  If ARk offers BG the money, he will come b/c there is more tradition here and much larger fanbase and arena.  I'm sure ark can rent him out a house and send mollymaids to vacuum his floors.  Its sort of like leaving shiloh christian for springdale highschool.  No ones ever done such a thing right
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

dotnet

No place has more tradition than A&M.  (granted, its not bball, but still)
Secondly, why does a coach care about tradition?  What about the here and now?

A larger fanbase?  That is a joke right?  Arkansas is half the size of A&M. 

A bigger arena?  Billy G doesn't want a bigger arena now.  He wants to stay ten more years and have an even bigger arena that has his name on it. 

CCU Cougar

I don't understand why Gillispie would take a step down from Big XII basketball to SEC. I will admit that year in and year out, SEC is more dominant in football, but not in basketball. For him to come to Arkansas doesn't make sense to me.

6HogsinGA

Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 02:39:28 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 02:33:31 pm
To Dotnet and HawgWyld:  I understand your reasons for him maybe not coming here.  I think however that if we offer him enough money he might consider it.  He's not the only guy that we should go after by any means, but I just want a proven high dollar coach with no ties to this state.  If we get that, most fans will be happy I think.

I'm not against going after him.  He definitely would be a great coach for Arkansas.  If you have never watched a game, I have never seen anything like the intensity that they play defense with. 

Here is why I might be against offering him:  It is incredibly unlikely that we would get him.  If we're going to throw a lot of money at a big name guy, he is going to want to be our guy... not our third or fourth option.  Maybe not.

By the way, if I'm wrong and we get Billy G, I'll be the happiest crow eating fool.
Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 02:39:28 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 02:33:31 pm
To Dotnet and HawgWyld:  I understand your reasons for him maybe not coming here.  I think however that if we offer him enough money he might consider it.  He's not the only guy that we should go after by any means, but I just want a proven high dollar coach with no ties to this state.  If we get that, most fans will be happy I think.

I'm not against going after him.  He definitely would be a great coach for Arkansas.  If you have never watched a game, I have never seen anything like the intensity that they play defense with. 

Here is why I might be against offering him:  It is incredibly unlikely that we would get him.  If we're going to throw a lot of money at a big name guy, he is going to want to be our guy... not our third or fourth option.  Maybe not.

By the way, if I'm wrong and we get Billy G, I'll be the happiest crow eating fool.

I'll DEFINITELY chip in for BG. Just tell me where to mail my check.

I agree, RhodeHog. NOW is our chance to turn it around.

BRC0180

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on February 25, 2007, 04:57:54 pm

What?  How does taking option A make you a great coach?  How does option B settle for mediocrity?  You can make just as much money, recruit just as well, and therefore win just as many championships at A&M as you can at Arkansas. 

He is only a god until Franchione wins a few games and he loses Law.  Then it is right back to being the #2 sport at the #2 university in Texass.  Great coaches aspire to greatness, he has a better chance to achieve greatness at the U of A.  Oh, and just think how he would be treated around here when he turned around our program.  NuttyBuddy is treated like royalty by alot of fans because we get the equivalent of the NIT every year, STANLEY has sucked for 5 years and folks are just now beginning to turn on him.  Gillespie has a system and a plan that has been successfully implemented at a major university.  It would work here and his reward would be so much greater than it would in Aggieland.

Pal

He is at home.

I'm afraid you are way off base on this one brother.  If ARk offers BG the money, he will come b/c there is more tradition here and much larger fanbase and arena.  I'm sure ark can rent him out a house and send mollymaids to vacuum his floors.  Its sort of like leaving shiloh christian for springdale highschool.  No ones ever done such a thing right

It's exactly like leaving Shiloh Christian for Springdale High School.  Why would you do that now?  The answer:  Nobody would.  Just like A&M, Shiloh has better players now and they have better players coming than Springdale High School.  We are talking about basketball, and we are talking about now.  You must be talking about football and the past.

And I am way on base, he ain't coming here. 

His response will go something like this:  Thanks but I am really not looking to leave at this point.  But I will tell you who you should look at.  We are cut out of the same mold, and fayetteville is his dream job. 

Why should you hire him?  Well he has owned Mike Anderson (at UAB and Missouri), thats right his team swept Missouri the team that blew your hogs out.  And you know his team also beat Texas Tech at Lubbock (yeah the same Texas Tech Team that beat my top 5 team twice this year), oh yea the same team that beat your hogs this year.  And don't forget about beating Kansas State at Manhatten (yeah K state was 7-3 at that point in the big twelve). 

Your concerned about the huge loses to KU on national television?  Well understand that he took that job in July, and is playing with basically a NAIA lineup plus a post man. 

Look at the attendance they have had, if you get fans excited at Nebraska about basketball you have moved mountains. 

Did I mention as a head coach he won his conference and advanced to as many NCAA tourneys as your current head coach.  True he did that with my players,if you say he won at UTEP with my players; you have to admit he is going to win 20 games in one of the toughest conferences in America with the players that got Barry Collier fired. 

Is he the seasoned coach we are looking for?  National Juco Coach of the year (you know I did not ever win that while I was a Juco coach); 20 win seasons/Conference Championships as Div I Head Coach, wins over Bob Knight, Bob Huggins, Anderson (never lost to him); worked for Eddie Sutton; recruited/coached several NBA players.

Why are you so high on him coach?  When Bill Self needed an assistant coach to recruit texas for Tulsa, he called his buddy Doc Sadler to see who he would suggest.  Doc recommended me to Bill and the rest is history.  For helping me catch my break, I brought Doc with me to UTEP.  He showed his ability at UTEP and has continued that at Nebraska. 

How will he handle the University of Arkansas Job?
He will tell anybody who listens that it is a privilege to coach/play at the UofA.  And anything less than complete and exhausting effort from coaches/players will not be tolerated.  You will never have a player stand up and cuss a coach, walk off the floor, and be on the team representing the UofA and this great program.  You will never have a player quoted saying "they wanted it more, we got out worked."  He has recruited the UofA diamond (Chicago,Tulsa/okc, Dallas, Memphis) successfully in the past.  Like BCG is revered by the high school/juco coaches in the region.  He would not have lost James Anderson.  Fayetteville is his dream job.  If he can win 20 games at Nebraska with the lack of talent he has there, what will he do with Beverly's, Hills, Weems, etc???  He will win big, sure won't get beat by Missouri's, Techs, Auburns, Ole Miss's, would still get beat probably by Kansas. 

************Ok I digress, think the conversation would be very similar.****
Call Gillisipe, Call Self.  That is obvious.  But if they don't come wouldn't you want the guy they would recommend? 

mbgrulz

Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 04:40:30 pm
Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 25, 2007, 04:37:58 pm

You're kidding right?  Forget that.

Make it 3 for 1 and get them to bring Kragthorpe too.  I would think he would have no problems bringing Gus back either.  I think they have a relationship.
sounds like dotnet is madder than a broke-dic%-dog over the fact that we are going to take BG away from aTm.

we will do it. hide and watch.

BRC0180

Your in the SEC.  Are you going to pay your basketball coach more than your football coach?

wacohog

I have no  idea if BCG would come to the hill...and neither does ANYONE else on this board.  My god, Bama shouldn't have gotten Saban either...but they did.  They swung for the fences and hit it out.  It doesn't hurt to go after BCG and see what happens.  I doubt he has told anyone on this site what his plans are.  So we try.

Interestingly enough,  even my hardcore Aggie buddies(and there are quite a few here in my part of Texas) think he will eventually ditch them.  The Ags are still WAY more interested in FB than BKB.  Those of you with the Aggie-envy ought to get over it.

BRC0180

I am not saying don't go after him, I am just saying if you can't hire him; hire who he and Self will recommend.

RhodeHog

Quote from: BRC0180 on February 25, 2007, 07:13:34 pm
I am not saying don't go after him, I am just saying if you can't hire him; hire who he and Self will recommend.

Yep.  We need a list with about 5 names on it, Gillispie included.  We need to rate those coaches based on what they've done, how much we like them, how they interview, etc.  Then just start going down the list offering between 1.75 and 2 million dollars.  That's what we should do, but who knows if those calling the shots will do that or not.

Smithian

OldArmy94

Coach Gillispie's sister is head women's basketball coach at Crockett, Texas High School, a 3A program--she has them in the state final.  Billy says she's the best coach in the family.  Maybe you guys ought to give her a call? LOL

In all seriousness, I have no idea whether we (A&M) can keep BCG.  He's a native Texan, is EXTREMELY beloved by Aggies, has fantastic ties to the Texas recruiting scene, and can take A&M to heights unknown--heck, he's already done that.  But, I do worry about the lure of a "big name" hoops program and whether or not that will be enough to get him to leave.  Money won't be an issue, most assuredly, but if Tubby gets canned at UK, then watch-out.  As a resident of Arkansas, if Gillispie is destined to leave A&M, I would love for him to come to Fayetteville.  I just don't know if UA has enough clout to bring him here with the likes of Kentucky calling, though.

RhodeHog

Quote from: OldArmy94 on February 25, 2007, 09:05:46 pm
Coach Gillispie's sister is head women's basketball coach at Crockett, Texas High School, a 3A program--she has them in the state final.  Billy says she's the best coach in the family.  Maybe you guys ought to give her a call? LOL

In all seriousness, I have no idea whether we (A&M) can keep BCG.  He's a native Texan, is EXTREMELY beloved by Aggies, has fantastic ties to the Texas recruiting scene, and can take A&M to heights unknown--heck, he's already done that.  But, I do worry about the lure of a "big name" hoops program and whether or not that will be enough to get him to leave.  Money won't be an issue, most assuredly, but if Tubby gets canned at UK, then watch-out.  As a resident of Arkansas, if Gillispie is destined to leave A&M, I would love for him to come to Fayetteville.  I just don't know if UA has enough clout to bring him here with the likes of Kentucky calling, though.

Thanks for the input.  I agree that Kentucky would be a bigger lure for the prestige of the program and possibly how much money he could make.  The only thing that might dissuade him would be the increased pressure of the job.  Kentucky would be much more pressure to win big more often.  But some guys are drawn to that kind of job.  I sure hope we at least go after him.

MissouriFan

I don't think you all would have much luck getting Gillispie for reasons that have already been stated but you could probably steal his top assistant and successor at UTEP.  Now in his first year as the head coach at Nebraska.  Doc Sadler.  An Arkansas native and alum.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21&SPID=24&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=535152&Q_SEASON=2006

HoopS

Another note on Gillespie, he has never stayed in one place more than 3 years.   This is year 3 at A&M.

RhodeHog

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 25, 2007, 09:24:34 pm
Another note on Gillespie, he has never stayed in one place more than 3 years.   This is year 3 at A&M.

Interesting.  A good sign?

HoopS

To be clear, an Aggie told that about him never being anywhere over 3 years, I haven't looked it up to confirm, but that should be easy to do.

Good Sign?   I would think so.  Then again, maybe he wants to prove he will stick somewhere and not leave.  Or maybe he loves to rebuild and move on.   Guess we will find out.

GDHOG

If anyone knows Billy Gillispie it would be me. He was my High School coach when I lived in New Braunfels, Tx. If we could land him here at Arkansas this basketball program would never be the same. This man is a genious when it comes to basketball and he is all basketball 24/7. Great person, teacher and a players coach. When I played basketball for him which was 18 years ago his practices were extremely tough. He teaches you everything you need to know about basketball and life and when game time comes you where prepared for anything that was thrown at you. We played basketball year around when he was the coach.   

RhodeHog

Quote from: GDHOG on February 25, 2007, 09:45:33 pm
If anyone knows Billy Gillispie it would be me. He was my High School coach when I lived in New Braunfels, Tx. If we could land him here at Arkansas this basketball program would never be the same. This man is a genious when it comes to basketball and he is all basketball 24/7. Great person, teacher and a players coach. When I played basketball for him which was 18 years ago his practices were extremely tough. He teaches you everything you need to know about basketball and life and when game time comes you where prepared for anything that was thrown at you. We played basketball year around when he was the coach.  

Cool.  He sounds like just the guy we need!

Quote from: stronguard on February 25, 2007, 03:10:51 pm
Gillespie is interested if a job opens IMO.  No coach has EVER wanted to play second fiddle in his own state.  Aggies are, will and always have been #2 in Texass.  Arkansas is a better job, better facilities, a better history, better recruiting, and better fans than A&M will ever be.  The only thing that A&M does better than the U of A is pep rallies, band, and ROTC.  
Plus he's second fiddle at his own school to football. He could win a NC and that's not going to change.

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 25, 2007, 09:24:34 pm
Another note on Gillespie, he has never stayed in one place more than 3 years.   This is year 3 at A&M.
Good point. 11 jobs in 25 years. Doesn't sound like someone that wouldn't be willing to listen to me.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Karma on February 25, 2007, 09:57:52 pm
Plus he's second fiddle at his own school to football. He could win a NC and that's not going to change.
So, he could move to Arkansas and be second fiddle at his own school to Houston Nutt? Hell, that makes absolutely no sense.

ozarkhog

Quote from: PBD on February 25, 2007, 02:12:06 pm
I have a feeling that the up and comer coach hiring philosophy is done with at The U of A.  Look where it got us.

I expect for the pocket book to be opened wide when a basketball coach is hired.
Let's see, where has that philosophy gotten us? OH, I remember Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.
Just a couple of no names.
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

HawgWyld

Quote from: ozarkhog on February 25, 2007, 10:22:04 pm
Quote from: PBD on February 25, 2007, 02:12:06 pm
I have a feeling that the up and comer coach hiring philosophy is done with at The U of A.  Look where it got us.

I expect for the pocket book to be opened wide when a basketball coach is hired.
Let's see, where has that philosophy gotten us? OH, I remember Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.
Just a couple of no names.
It also got us Houston Nutt and Stan Heath. There are great arguments for and against the "up and comer" philosophy, I'm afraid.

ozarkhog

Frank Broyles, Ken Hatfield (borderline), we have had better results from the up and comers than the established coaches, dare we remember Danny Ford.

Give someone who has the fire the chance to explode onto the scene, but look for someone that has the fire not someone looking for a big paycheck.
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

HawgWyld

Quote from: ozarkhog on February 25, 2007, 10:30:53 pm
Frank Broyles, Ken Hatfield (borderline), we have had better results from the up and comers than the established coaches, dare we remember Danny Ford.

Give someone who has the fire the chance to explode onto the scene, but look for someone that has the fire not someone looking for a big paycheck.

Good point. We try not to remember Danny Ford.

Hell, he was actually a worse coach than Nutt (he wasn't as much of a weasel as Nutty, of course, but he wasn't much as far as wins/losses go).

CCU Cougar