Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those who want Billy Gillispie...

Started by RhodeHog, February 25, 2007, 02:02:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RhodeHog

It's gonna take more than 1.3 million a year to get him.  Is the U of A willing to pay that?  Would he even consider coming unless we paid him close to 2 million? 

http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/032506/mbasketball_20060325002.php

"Texas A&M men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie had a $1 million bonus added to his contract Friday, contingent upon his staying in College Station for six more years....The action Friday extinguished speculation that Gillispie would get a pay raise to match the $1.3 million salary of Rick Barnes, head basketball coach for the University of Texas."

This happened last year BTW. 

mongo™

what was that quote again?????

Oh yeah,  GO BIG OR GO HOME.
AND HERE COME THE RAZORBACKS

Adam Stokes

RhodeHog

edt

Offer him 1.75 if he dosen't take it go on to Self.

dmac_iz_kin

Gillispie has a chance to coach in a 19200 seat arena. The a and m arena is I think 12,500 FWIW
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

Arkapigdiesel

I have a feeling that the up and comer coach hiring philosophy is done with at The U of A.  Look where it got us.

I expect for the pocket book to be opened wide when a basketball coach is hired.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

RhodeHog

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on February 25, 2007, 02:11:19 pm
Gillispie has a chance to coach in a 19200 seat arena. The a and m arena is I think 12,500 FWIW

You're right...according to Wikipedia. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Arena

RhodeHog

Quote from: PBD on February 25, 2007, 02:12:06 pm
I have a feeling that the up and comer coach hiring philosophy is done with at The U of A.  Look where it got us.

I expect for the pocket book to be opened wide when a basketball coach is hired.

I sure hope you're right.

mongo™

I hope the same for a new FB coach as well.
AND HERE COME THE RAZORBACKS

polandhog

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 02:12:53 pm
according to Wikipedia. 

The 3 most dangerous words in the english language LOL

brodie_hawg

I think we go big on this basketball coach hire.  This is likely the only coach that chancellor white will ever hire (while playing role of AD) on his terms and I bet he wants it to be a splash so hopefully in 5 to 10 years he can say "hey, I hired that coach that won the national championship at arkansas"

razorhead94

I have a source that tells me that the U of A is willing to pay between 1.5 to 2 million for the next basketball coach.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

RhodeHog

Quote from: polandhog on February 25, 2007, 02:13:53 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 02:12:53 pm
according to Wikipedia. 

The 3 most dangerous words in the english language LOL

True..haha.  They are my quick resort usually, not my first choice.  Here you go:  http://reed.tamu.edu/

That should make it better!  :)

RhodeHog

Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 25, 2007, 02:15:24 pm
I think we go big on this basketball coach hire.  This is likely the only coach that chancellor white will ever hire (while playing role of AD) on his terms and I bet he wants it to be a splash so hopefully in 5 to 10 years he can say "hey, I hired that coach that won the national championship at arkansas"

White will definitely want to flex his muscles.

brodie_hawg

I guess its a good thing that he wants to flex now, I just hope that he will make the best hire possible for AD and then step away and let the AD run it. 

RhodeHog

Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 25, 2007, 02:23:01 pm
I guess its a good thing that he wants to flex now, I just hope that he will make the best hire possible for AD and then step away and let the AD run it. 

That's my biggest fear.

dotnet

I like the amount of money people are talking about, but I think we're more likely to get Ricky P from louiville.

The thing people overlook is that Billy G can make more money over the long haul from A&M, not Arkansas.  Not only that, but he is a god in College Station.  They went from 0-16 in the big 12 one year to almost winning the NIT the next.  The next year they upset a team in the tournament and was a shot away from beating LSU.  This year they are a legitimate top 10 team.  That is 0-16 to top ten in three years. 

In a place that has never known basketball, that is god like status.  They had 80 tents camping out for Texas tickets.  It was such a circus that they had to send people home because it was in the middle of a storm and unsafe.   I think he is great and would love to have him, I just don't know that he would leave. 

HawgWyld

Good luck luring him over to the University of Arkansas. Hey, going after him is a great idea, but why on earth would he leave A&M? He's built that team in his image and the results are paying off, so I wouldn't expect him to bolt to the UA without being paid a hell of a lot of money? Outside of cash, what other possible reason would there be for him to abandon the Aggies and head up to Fayetteville?

I'm not being negative here, I simply don't understand the increasing number of people who think we have a shot at hiring the man for a position that he would likely view as a lateral move at best and a step down at worst. He would, effectively, leave a team that's doing very well to head to a basketball program that is a right mess right now.

Hey, offering him a job is a great idea. But, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

RhodeHog

To Dotnet and HawgWyld:  I understand your reasons for him maybe not coming here.  I think however that if we offer him enough money he might consider it.  He's not the only guy that we should go after by any means, but I just want a proven high dollar coach with no ties to this state.  If we get that, most fans will be happy I think.

dotnet

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 25, 2007, 02:33:31 pm
To Dotnet and HawgWyld:  I understand your reasons for him maybe not coming here.  I think however that if we offer him enough money he might consider it.  He's not the only guy that we should go after by any means, but I just want a proven high dollar coach with no ties to this state.  If we get that, most fans will be happy I think.

I'm not against going after him.  He definitely would be a great coach for Arkansas.  If you have never watched a game, I have never seen anything like the intensity that they play defense with. 

Here is why I might be against offering him:  It is incredibly unlikely that we would get him.  If we're going to throw a lot of money at a big name guy, he is going to want to be our guy... not our third or fourth option.  Maybe not.

By the way, if I'm wrong and we get Billy G, I'll be the happiest crow eating fool.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

LJHOG

to quote George Harrison, "It's gonna take money .......... a whole lotta spendin' money"

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 25, 2007, 02:29:01 pm
Good luck luring him over to the University of Arkansas. Hey, going after him is a great idea, but why on earth would he leave A&M? He's built that team in his image and the results are paying off, so I wouldn't expect him to bolt to the UA without being paid a hell of a lot of money? Outside of cash, what other possible reason would there be for him to abandon the Aggies and head up to Fayetteville?

I'm not being negative here, I simply don't understand the increasing number of people who think we have a shot at hiring the man for a position that he would likely view as a lateral move at best and a step down at worst. He would, effectively, leave a team that's doing very well to head to a basketball program that is a right mess right now.

Hey, offering him a job is a great idea. But, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I would not classify it as a lateral move. If you look at the wikipedia link that has been provided, that 12500 seat arena was built in 98. our 19200 arena was built in 93. that sort of suggests there is a richer tradition here. Much larger fan base and prestigeous coaching posisition at UofA IMHO. Gillisipie is on the back side of 40yr old. My guess is he might be thinking he can do a little better for himself here than at A&M
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

Con el Cerdos

Someday. . .maybe.  But not right now and maybe never.

Gillespie is a Texas native who enjoys coaching and recruiting in his home state. 

If, say in 10 years, the Razorback job was to open up and Gillespie wasn't at UT by then he might come to Arkansas. 

dmac_iz_kin

wow. another thing about this Reed arena, the 10 largest crowds of all time there have been in the last 2 years. they are averaging over 13k, I bet BG would like to break the 20k per night, which UofA has done in the past.

stronguard

Gillespie is interested if a job opens IMO.  No coach has EVER wanted to play second fiddle in his own state.  Aggies are, will and always have been #2 in Texass.  Arkansas is a better job, better facilities, a better history, better recruiting, and better fans than A&M will ever be.  The only thing that A&M does better than the U of A is pep rallies, band, and ROTC.   
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

ghg1

A&M can match/exceed any money we offer him, and they have a new arena and soon to be finished practice facility.

What they don't have, though, is a rich tradition and a loyal fan base for basketball.  That's what might lure him here.   

In the midst of our hoop doldrums, it's easy to lose sight that UA is still one of the top basketball jobs in America.  Don't forget that just a couple of years ago The Sporting News rated Arkansas the 8th greatest collegiate basketball program of all-time.  Texas A&M wasn't even among the Top 100. Some jobs bring automatic prestige, and I believe head basketball coach at Arkansas is one of them.

And oh yeah,

FIRE NUTT!!

mbgrulz

RhodeHog

I agree opine.  We've been told too many times "we're just Arkansas."  They've tried to sell us mediocrity for so long that it's seeping into the water supply.  NOW is our chance to turn it around.

Hogchick

I agree.  We have to hire a coach who can win and win big immediately.  I don' think the U of A can affort not to go with an experienced head coach.

RhodeHog

$$$$ talks.  If we want him we'll have to pay.

doo-ran

Quote from: opineonswine on February 25, 2007, 03:17:03 pm
We've been conditioned the last several years to think in inferiority terms.  We can't, we don't, we aren't. 

I'm here to tell you WE CAN, WE DO, WE WILL.

The sky is the limit.  Stop listening to the underachieving crowd, the Barretts, the Broyles, the Schaeffers, the Nutts.

Instead of the wimpy embarrassing poor-me'ers, we need leadership that can motivate and direct us to overachieve.

Get the right leadership and we CAN be as good as anyone.
Amen. The mentality must be one that exhibits motivation and determination, not one of acceptance and closure. Get the right leadership and we not only CAN but WILL BE as great as the greatest!

weresoclose

my guess is that $2 million would do it, but you never know about them Aggies. 

pignatious

There is money enough to pay any big time coach. The question is do they have the will and the desire to make it happen. Are we small time, or are we wanting to get back to where we were?
Freedom is never free.

pignatious

Yes. But, it would be better if a new AD was in place at the time we did the hiring, or we had an idea who it will be. Any coach is going to question Broyles meddling ways. That's why Frank should already be gone.
Freedom is never free.

doo-ran

Quote from: Hogchick on February 25, 2007, 03:20:12 pm

I agree.  We have to hire a coach who can win and win big immediately.  I don' think the U of A can affort not to go with an experienced head coach.

You darned right we can't. We need to change this mentality/mindset. Personally, I am not one who conforms to societal norms. In my profession too many accept the mandates and there are not many who challenge the "norm". I am a non-conformist, cut out the BS and get the right people for the job. I don't want to deliberate anything when it comes to my job. I want to take charge and surpass the mediocre goal that is often set by those who think benchmarks are the best manner to reach an outcome. I don't want to meet intermediate goals, give me the pinnacle of the challenge and give me the resources to reach it. Don't waste my time with challenges that are short of nothing more than a mediocre attempt at solving the problem. We have the resources, we will always have the resources, it is time we value those resources and put them to work.

dotnet

Quote from: stronguard on February 25, 2007, 03:10:51 pm
Gillespie is interested if a job opens IMO.  No coach has EVER wanted to play second fiddle in his own state.  Aggies are, will and always have been #2 in Texass.  Arkansas is a better job, better facilities, a better history, better recruiting, and better fans than A&M will ever be.  The only thing that A&M does better than the U of A is pep rallies, band, and ROTC.   

I disagree with this statement.  Its like someone telling coach K when he took over that Duke would always be second fiddle to North Carolina.  Well, Duke has won way more games in this decade than North Carolina.  They have a down year this year but they'll be right back up there next year too. 

BRC0180

This is not mediocre mentality:  HE AIN'T COMING.  THEY WILL MATCH MONEY. 
With the fluid administrative situation in Fayetteville, why would you leave a great job.  I know it is hard for you to swallow:  The A&M job is a better job right now than UofA.  Hard to accept, but often the truth is.  He built at Illinois, UTEP, and A&M.  He is tired of building and wants to enjoy the fruits of a well earned career.  He has signed next years Kevin Durant along with 3 other top 50 recruits.

So BCG won't come, call Self.  He will not come either.  Do us all a favor and hire the guy BCG and Bill Self recommends.  It will be the same guy.

doo-ran

Quote from: BRC0180 on February 25, 2007, 03:46:05 pm
This is not mediocre mentality:  HE AIN'T COMING.  THEY WILL MATCH MONEY. 
With the fluid administrative situation in Fayetteville, why would you leave a great job.  I know it is hard for you to swallow:  The A&M job is a better job right now than UofA.  Hard to accept, but often the truth is.  He built at Illinois, UTEP, and A&M.  He is tired of building and wants to enjoy the fruits of a well earned career.  He has signed next years Kevin Durant along with 3 other top 50 recruits.

So BCG won't come, call Self.  He will not come either.  Do us all a favor and hire the guy BCG and Bill Self recommends.  It will be the same guy.
That situation has changed. We have the resources to get the best and should accept no less. Period

dotnet

Good point.  There are two options:

A: go to a school and be one of many good coaches that have been there.  Have no idea who your boss will be next year.  And work with players that have a totally different work ethic and are used to the opposite type of coach than you are.

B: stay at a school that will pay you as much as any other school.  Know and like who your boss is, someone dedicated to winning.  Become an absolute legend at a place that thinks you are a god.  Stay there until you make them build a new arena that they will have to name after you.  Coach players who play the best defense in the big 12, will do anything you ask, and include a top ten player next year that will dominate the big 12 south.

doo-ran

Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 03:55:01 pm

A: go to a school and be one of many good coaches that have been there.  Have no idea who your boss will be next year.  And work with players that have a totally different work ethic and are used to the opposite type of coach than you are.

B: stay at a school that will pay you as much as any other school.  Know and like who your boss is, someone dedicated to winning.  Become an absolute legend at a place that thinks you are a god.  Stay there until you make them build a new arena that they will have to name after you.  Coach players who play the best defense in the big 12, will do anything you ask, and include a top ten player next year that will dominate the big 12 south.
If your saying BG or BS (no pun intended) would take option "B" over option "A" then we don't need either of them here. We need someone who will take the present challenge and surpass it. Not another coach settling for mediocrity.

A good coach will choose option "B". A great coach will take option "A". I want a coach to take the first option. Option "A"

dotnet

Quote from: doo-ran on February 25, 2007, 04:00:16 pm

If your saying BG or BS (no pun intended) would take option "B" over option "A" then we don't need either of them here. We need someone who will take the present challenge and surpass it. Not another coach settling for mediocrity.

A good coach will choose option "B". A great coach will take option "A". I want a coach to take the first option. Option "A"

What?  How does taking option A make you a great coach?  How does option B settle for medocrity?  You can make just as much money, recruit just as well, and therefore win just as many championships at A&M as you can at Arkansas. 

He is currently a god in College Station.  How much greater do you want to be?  Go where no man has gone before or walk into a jacked up situation like Arkansas is now?

polandhog

Quote from: dotnet on February 25, 2007, 04:11:24 pm

What?  How does taking option A make you a great coach?  How does option B settle for medocrity?  You can make just as much money, recruit just as well, and therefore win just as many championships at A&M as you can at Arkansas. 

He is currently a god in College Station.  How much greater do you want to be?  Go where no man has gone before or walk into a jacked up situation like Arkansas is now?

No offense, but Ark BASKETBALL is far from jacked up.  Have good potential recruits on the watch list, nationally NOT a joke (nationally everyone says this is 'rebuilding' after losing brewer and pookie), every time we are on tv they talk about our championships, and everytime any team anywhere runs and guns they reference '40 moh'.  Bball is NOT jacked up, just in FB.

dotnet

The athletic program is.  People aren't donating and every day is a soap opera in the athletic complex.  Anytime you're walking into a job where someone like FB and Nutt are working knowing that neither will be there next year and you have no idea who your boss is going to be... its jacked up.

I'm not saying that I don't think a good coach can't win 25-27 games next year.  I just think the actual position as head coach is not as steady as A&M's. 

stronguard

He is only a god until Franchione wins a few games and he loses Law.  Then it is right back to being the #2 sport at the #2 university in Texass.  Great coaches aspire to greatness, he has a better chance to achieve greatness at the U of A.  Oh, and just think how he would be treated around here when he turned aroound our program.  NuttyBuddy is treated like royalty by alot of fans because we get the equivalent of the NIT every year, STANLEY has sucked for 5 years and folks are just now beginning to turn on him.  Gillespie has a system and a plan that has been successfully implemented at a major university.  It would work here and his reward would be so much greater than it would in Aggieland.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

dotnet

You mean he loses Law who was average before he got there, and gains a top 10 player next year? 

Fran hasn't beaten a healthy quality opponent ever.

He will not be loved more at UA than he is at A&M.  All he will do at UA is what another man has already done.  At A&M he literally created something out of nothing.  He goes to a football pep rally and has more people chant his name in appreciation than even attend the university of Arkansas. 

doo-ran

I should clarify, an ego will take you through option "B". A purist philosophy through option "A". I totally get your point, and I agree. I was just making the point that I want a coach who will take on the tougher challenge. It was mere rhetoric on my part. I agree with you in that I wouldn't wish anyone the shiite that is in place on the hill currently. I am just saying we have the resources and soon, we won't have to worry about a meddling 82 year old.

BRC0180

Quote from: stronguard on February 25, 2007, 04:17:27 pm

He is only a god until Franchione wins a few games and he loses Law.  Then it is right back to being the #2 sport at the #2 university in Texass.  Great coaches aspire to greatness, he has a better chance to achieve greatness at the U of A.  Oh, and just think how he would be treated around here when he turned aroound our program.  NuttyBuddy is treated like royalty by alot of fans because we get the equivalent of the NIT every year, STANLEY has sucked for 5 years and folks are just now beginning to turn on him.  Gillespie has a system and a plan that has been successfully implemented at a major university.  It would work here and his reward would be so much greater than it would in Aggieland.

Pal

He is at home.

They will pay him whatever he wants.

He has lottery picks lining up to come to A&M.

They bought/furnished a 3500sq foot home for him (w/a bedroom office, complete with 75,000.00 video editing setup.)

They provide a cleaning service (cleans his home 3 times a week, as well as do the grocery shopping for him)

Texas men want to be him, and their wives want to be with him...............

And your talking about the potential rewards being greater on the hill.  Get ready for spring football, cause you ain't got a clue about whats happening in the real world of college basketball.