Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What about Rick Pitino?

Started by RD, February 21, 2007, 11:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Seriously.

He is tired of playing 2nd Fiddle to Kentucky. Him coming here would rejuvinate our program, the fans, the support, recruiting would not stop. If anyone can pick it up where it has fallen apart, it's Rick.

razorhead94

If Tubby can't do it at Kentucky do you really think he will do it here?  No, have to go with better coach
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

pigfeet

Would love to have Rick Pitino.

CoachHogT

Not a bad idea....... He would like to get back into the SEC I bet

ishankem

for some reason, I really like the idea of Pitino.  with the state support and the fan base, I think he could recruit this whole courntry for the top players, and could put this program on a level with the Kentuckys, & Dukes. Like it was when nolan was in his prime.

Hawg_Heaven

I would take Pitino in a heartbeat! The question is "Does he want to leave Louisville?"

cowboym

Rick Pitino would be great.  Tubby... Hun uh. Tubby has a BIG chip on his shoulder and its blue.  If Rick Pitino came here we would be needing to expand Bud Walton in 5 years.
Cowboy M

beachhog

I would love it too but with UofL doing better and in the top 25 now, he aint' going anywhere.. plus he loves the KY and UL rivarly, which he has not been winning lately.

Here is my concern, if we get rid of SH, can we really get someone else that good, since we are still paying NR too?

I can't understand how we get out rebounded to Auburn?????  I think most of our players are mentally soft and that is true of Heath.

CoachHogT

Quote from: beachhog on February 21, 2007, 11:24:59 pm
I would love it too but with UofL doing better and in the top 25 now, he aint' going anywhere.. plus he loves the KY and UL rivarly, which he has not been winning lately.

Here is my concern, if we get rid of SH, can we really get someone else that good, since we are still paying NR too?

I can't understand how we get out rebounded to Auburn?????  I think most of our players are mentally soft and that is true of Heath.

New rumor......Rick Pitino loves the KY!

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: CoachHogT on February 21, 2007, 11:26:31 pm

New rumor......Rick Pitino loves the KY!

Ewe! lol

CoachHogT

Quote from: mrcrowley on February 21, 2007, 11:30:20 pm
i said pitino a while back and got lambasted

Its all in how you type it

Jazorback

He wouldn't leave Lu'ville because his girl friend is down here.
and yes I live in Louisville.

dotnet

Quote from: Jazorback on February 21, 2007, 11:32:37 pm

She can move.  Who wants to live in one place their entire life?

CoachHogT

Are you saying you are his girlfriend?

BigHog396

First of all, I think we only have either 1 or 2 seasons left to pay Nolan.  Secondly, the finances of the Razorback Foundation have been thoroughly covered ad nauseum on this site.  We can afford ANY coach that we can get to come here.

Cosby

Quote from: CoachHogT on February 21, 2007, 11:32:03 pm
Quote from: mrcrowley on February 21, 2007, 11:30:20 pm
i said pitino a while back and got lambasted

Its all in how you type it

I remembered seeing someone say pitino on here a while back, it really got my hopes up. I can't wait until after the season when we can actually see a list of realistic people we're going after. If Pitino is still a name then, I'm going to be pumped.

LuckyGiraffe

John Calapari.... I know he is a snake oil salesman, but wow... he is one of the best recruiters in the country.  He keeps getting top 5 prospects at Memphis.  He works all angles of recruiting, including being on "The Best Damn Sports Show" more than any other college coach.

You have to realize from the beginning, that he is really in it for himself, but he is smart and just wants to win.

LuckyGiraffe

Salary would be right around 2mil

KinkosHog

Pitino won't leave Louisville IMO.

BigHog396

Quote from: hawgfan923 on February 22, 2007, 12:06:16 am
John Calapari.... I know he is a snake oil salesman, but wow... he is one of the best recruiters in the country.  He keeps getting top 5 prospects at Memphis.  He works all angles of recruiting, including being on "The Best Damn Sports Show" more than any other college coach.

You have to realize from the beginning, that he is really in it for himself, but he is smart and just wants to win.
Too darned dirty.  That would be just another set of integrity issues for us to deal with.  Of course, between HDN's integrity shortcomings and JC's, we probably would have all possible integrity related problems covered with only two coaches.  Now how many major colleges can say that...  "If you want an example of any integrity shortfalls, just check us out... we got ya covered."

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 21, 2007, 11:14:31 pm
If Tubby can't do it at Kentucky do you really think he will do it here?  No, have to go with better coach

Could we put up enough money to lure away Texas A & M's basketball coach, Bill Gillispie?  We have the better tradition and nicer and bigger facilities and just as good if not better fan base IMO!

Forget about TUBBY.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

jkelly107

1. Pitino
2. Billy Gillispie
3. Doc Sadler

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

KinkosHog

Anderson should be at the top of the list.

It's about an attitude.

It's about imposing your will.

That darn team he has at Mizzou is for half court bull.

Pigskin_Porker

February 22, 2007, 12:48:02 am #25 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:50:40 am by Pigskin_Porker
Quote from: KinkosHog on February 22, 2007, 12:36:11 am

It's about an attitude.

That crap team he has at Mizzou is for half court bullcrap.

I personally haven't been as impressed with Anderson.  I do think he would be a big step up from Stan Heath, BUT Billy Gillispie or Rick Pitino would be a HUGE step up.

We need to fork out however many millions it takes to lure Billy Gillispie away from Texas A & M before he gets to win his first of possibly multiple NCAA National Championships!!

Gillispie's record this year so far:

23-4, 11-2 (BIG 12)

He has a career record for 73-51, but is 67-25 in his last three seasons, including a 49-6 mark in home games. At A&M, Gillispie is 43-19.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

MCPeePants

I would disagree with you there. I think Tubby is a very good coach.

As floor coaches, the extreme difference between Tubby Smith and Stan Heath was pretty well demonstrated in the last 15 or so minutes of the 2nd half of this year's Kentucky/Arkansas game.

He may be in kind of a downswing period at Kentucky right now but we'd be very lucky to have him. 

hoosieradvisor

February 22, 2007, 01:36:44 am #27 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:14:38 am by hoosieradvisor
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on February 21, 2007, 11:23:09 pm
I would take Pitino in a heartbeat! The question is "Does he want to leave Louisville?"

I'm a hog fan who lives in Louisville.  I would also welcome Petino at Arkansas but he is very popular around here and he seems to enjoy it a lot.

When he came here it strengthened the rivalry between UL and UK.  Petino became an instant God to some when he returned to the Blue Grass state and a devilish traitor to others in the state.  His presence has helped both UL and UK.

He owns race horses and hob nobs with the Churchill Downs hob nobbers.  He seems to be truly treated like a God, only better; and his ego doesn't mind either. That's just Ricky Boy.  The yacht clubs around Louisville are pretty kick ass too and I'm sure he's wined and dined at them regularly and has the pick of at least a few hundred women between the age of 18 and 75 and probably get hand jobs from 12 percent of the men too.  Good luck in getting him to come to Fayetteville.

Besides, could Arkansas afford to pay him more than $2 million per year?  In 2001 he signed a six-year deal with UL for $12.4 million dollars.  And god he hawks everything on TV; from suits to tires to cars to dry cleaners to restaurants to frigging Slurpies.

The fans don't second guess his decisions and are patient when they hit a speed bump. And with the football program cranking their national visibility up a notch it can't hurt the basketball recruiting too.

I'll say one thing though; it was a breath of fresh air when Petrino exited for the Falcons.  The first 30 minutes the town panicked and thought--Oh my god! What are we going to do without Coach Petrino?! Help us God, we are doomed!. It was funny.  The local TV stations interrupted programming with Breaking News when he quit.  I thought there had been a train wreck or a chemical spill or something awful.

But then everybody started realizing and admitting to ourselves that we never liked the seedy little liar anyway.  After he fails in Atlanta maybe he can replace Nutt.  He's a great coach but when he opens his mouth it's always an impression of a used car salesman on the last day of the month.

I seriously doubt UL would take him back.  He got along with the UL A.D. like Frank and Nolan.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
hoosieradvisor

KinkosHog

Quote from: Pigskin_Porker on February 22, 2007, 12:48:02 am
Quote from: KinkosHog on February 22, 2007, 12:36:11 am

It's about an attitude.

That crap team he has at Mizzou is for half court bullcrap.

I personally haven't been as impressed with Anderson.  I do think he would be a big step up from Stan Heath, BUT Billy Gillispie or Rick Pitino would be a HUGE step up.

We need to fork out however many millions it takes to lure Billy Gillispie away from Texas A & M before he gets to win his first of possibly multiple NCAA National Championships!!

Gillispie's record this year so far:

23-4, 11-2 (BIG 12)

He has a career record for 73-51, but is 67-25 in his last three seasons, including a 49-6 mark in home games. At A&M, Gillispie is 43-19.

I like Gillespie, but Rick ain't going anywhere.

Anderson is about the will to power.

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: MCPeePants on February 22, 2007, 01:03:03 am

I would disagree with you there. I think Tubby is a very good coach.

As floor coaches, the extreme difference between Tubby Smith and Stan Heath was pretty well demonstrated in the last 15 or so minutes of the 2nd half of this year's Kentucky/Arkansas game.

He may be in kind of a downswing period at Kentucky right now but we'd be very lucky to have him. 

I have some very close friends who graduated from UK and they keep me pretty informed about the program.  Half of their fan base wants Tubby gone.  While he is a far better coach than Stan Heath, Tubby doesn't get blue chip material like Coach K, Williams, Self, etc.  They all think he won a championship with Pitino's players anyway.  Kentucky has survived because of history.  But look now, Florida and Tennessee have owned them lately and Vanderbilt beats them every year.  Trust me, we don't want just a good guy, we want a coach that will bring in the talent with new ideas.

And please people, Rick Pitino will never come to Arkansas.  He likes the ponies way too much and his crowd would find Fayetteville, AR beneath them.

hoosieradvisor

February 22, 2007, 01:56:20 am #30 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:59:07 am by hoosieradvisor
I have some very close friends who graduated from UK and they keep me pretty informed about the program.  Half of their fan base wants Tubby gone.  While he is a far better coach than Stan Heath, Tubby doesn't get blue chip material like Coach K, Williams, Self, etc.

Tubby gets great players.  Tubby just doesn't win with his players.

And please people, Rick Pitino will never come to Arkansas.  He likes the ponies way too much and his crowd would find Fayetteville, AR beneath them.

You are so correct.  He'd take one look at Dickson Street and laugh like Robin Williams on helium.
hoosieradvisor

razorrog1

I would rather see Jimmy Johnson.  Oh, wait.  Wrong Thread.

jmchog

What about the former Iowa State coach?
While we are at it, we can hire Mike Price for football too.

BossHog13

February 22, 2007, 06:52:04 am #33 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:59:27 am by BossHog13
I say Mike Anderson! If not him, then Rick Pitino.

Dr Swineglove

I say Dickey Nutt; who else are we going to hate on when Houston is gone?
Seriously, I would really love to hire Mike Anderson, but that won't happen.
To do so, the powers-that-be would have to tacitly admit they were wrong
for not hiring him in the first place.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

bassntrucks

Pony up the dough and offer Pitino too much to turn down!

HogFanInTulsa

i  love  the   idea  of  having  40  minutes  of  hell  back  in  bud  walton.  lets  bring  back  mike  anderson.  although  pitino  sounds  good  2,

Junkyard Hog

I would love to have Pitino, but I don't think he will be leaving anytime soon.  He is a big pony guy and the bluegrass state is the perfect place for him.

GHG3

Quote from: ishankem on February 21, 2007, 11:21:45 pm
for some reason, I really like the idea of Pitino.  with the state support and the fan base, I think he could recruit this whole courntry for the top players, and could put this program on a level with the Kentuckys, & Dukes. Like it was when nolan was in his prime.

ha. haha....hahahahahahahahahha

spudhog

would love rick p. to come here. don't know if he would but it would be awesome.

Hogchick

Quote from: RD on February 21, 2007, 11:08:13 pm
Seriously.

He is tired of playing 2nd Fiddle to Kentucky. Him coming here would rejuvinate our program, the fans, the support, recruiting would not stop. If anyone can pick it up where it has fallen apart, it's Rick.

I would be tickled pink if we could get Rick Pittino.

jkcrunch

Pitino wants to live in Ky, so he is not leaving.

SuperHog

Pitino is a pipe dream.  We've got about the same shot of pulling pitino away from L'ville as we do pulling R. Williams away from Carolina, or Donovan from UF.

Billy G. is a realistic possibility.
Doc Sadler is a realisitic possiblity. (although I am not sold on him)
Now that Frank is gone, I think Mike Anderson would seriously consider coming back.

I think it's time to crack open the R'back Foundation funds and throw some big $$$ at a big name, like we all wanted to do for football.

Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Some of you guys would really take Anderson over Pitino?  You are crazy.
Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

Fayetnam

Gillespie at Texas A & M broke it off OSU tail in Stillwater last night! The run set offenses and play D beyond belief. He's taken a football school and made them a basketball contender! He'd be a great choice too!

bbulhogfan

Everyone is always talking about how we don't need another up and comer but then in the next line they are saying they want mike anderson...i don't understand.  Anderson has done nothing to prove himself and IS nothing more than an up and comer.

RedRock

Screw it. Let's go after Phil Jackson

cmoorehogs

Stella

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on February 22, 2007, 06:57:39 am
I say Dickey Nutt; who else are we going to hate on when Houston is gone?
Seriously, I would really love to hire Mike Anderson, but that won't happen.
To do so, the powers-that-be would have to tacitly admit they were wrong
for not hiring him in the first place.

Dickey Nutt for football OC.  He might be better than who...ston!

fullfan

He can have girlfriends in AR too.   Have him PM Houston.