Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Football Coach

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, February 19, 2007, 11:45:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you rather have as your next Ark Football coach?

Jon Gruden
88 (38.6%)
Marty Schottenheimer
30 (13.2%)
Reggie Herring
20 (8.8%)
Butch Davis
111 (48.7%)
The Easter Bunny
57 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 228

Voting closed: March 03, 2007, 11:45:14 am

TheRazorbackGuy

Lets hear you guys opinions on this topic...

BartIV

Jon Gruden is young and would be perfect in the college ranks, especially in recruiting, but i don't see this happening.

hogsNbeer

We should have got Butch last year.....  He should be coach at the UofA....

Bacon The Saddle Again

How about Butch Davis for AD and Jon Gruden for head coach?

For the record, Gruden is a pipe dream.  But dream big, right?

rzrbaxfan

The easter bunny...now thats just plain funny. ;D

Seriously, I would have picked any of the above if that was an option.  I'm not sold on Reggie being HC material, but I'd give him a shot if it meant Nutt was gone.

BartIV

jon gruden, a super bowl winning coach, will always find a place in the NFL, so this is a long shot.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: BartIV on February 19, 2007, 11:47:09 am
Jon Gruden is young and would be perfect in the college ranks, especially in recruiting, but i don't see this happening.

Look here... Jon Gruden doesn't win this year in Tampa... He will be available why not Gruden... The worst he could do is be Bob Huggins (currently K-State basketball coach) but formally Cincinnati's basketball coach... He got fired for hanging out at Fraternity parties at Cincinnati... Who cares if CHUCKY does that... He'd be our BOY

GRUDEN!

Dugann

still think David Cutcliff till Gus is ready but if I had to pick one of those I would say Marty...Because he would come in make a impact ASAP, Win, and move back to the NFL or retire in 2-3 years and then we'd have Gus ready to take over.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Houston h

Why is Jon Gruden even in the discussion?  Are you people kidding me!  He makes millions, is one of the most recognizable faces in the NFL and has an abundance of young talent in freaking Tampa, Florida.  Why in God's name would he leave that to be paid a million or so a year by a COLLEGE team stuck up in Northwest Arkansas that isn't even near the top of their own conference?
Give it up guys, we aren't the Cowboys!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Houston hater on February 19, 2007, 11:55:14 am
Why is Jon Gruden even in the discussion?  Are you people kidding me!  He makes millions, is one of the most recognizable faces in the NFL and has an abundance of young talent in freaking Tampa, Florida.  Why in God's name would he leave that to be paid a million or so a year by a COLLEGE team stuck up in Northwest Arkansas that isn't even near the top of their own conference?

Because Jon Gruden could WIN in the SEC better than any. He would recruit into Florida, Texas and California and would have success in the SEC.... If he doesn't win next year Tampa will look elsewhere and Gruden will come to Arkansas and win a national championship while recruiting NFL talent because he his super bowl ring... Jon Gruden would be a great hire and I think he would come... Look at Butch Davis going to 2-10 North Carolina... JON GRUDEN HEAD COACH IN 08!

JDW-20

porkurina

Houston h

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on February 19, 2007, 11:58:33 am

Because Jon Gruden could WIN in the SEC better than any. He would recruit into Florida, Texas and California and would have success in the SEC.... If he doesn't win next year Tampa will look elsewhere and Gruden will come to Arkansas and win a national championship while recruiting NFL talent because he his super bowl ring... Jon Gruden would be a great hire and I think he would come... Look at Butch Davis going to 2-10 North Carolina... JON GRUDEN HEAD COACH IN 08!
I want some of what you are smokin brotha!
No doubt he would be successful but I can think of 10 NFL teams that would be lining up at his door to offer him big money to coach their team.  Coaches work their entire careers to get to the NFL, why would he leave when he has proven he can win at that level?

hogsNbeer

razorbackmkh

He's not really a coach, he just plays one on tv.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

iwillshowerwhennuttisgone

my vote the easter bunny would be better than planet houston

DID I MENTION FIRE NUTT NOW

Anyone see the SI article houston could not let broyles go away with a little pride

311Hog

BartIV

Does Butch Davis still have a home in Arkansas?

Franchise_Hog

If we really had to pick among those listed in the poll, Gruden is the obvious best choice.

mayer020103

I think I will leave this one up to Terry Don and see who he brings on.

311Hog

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

humphrey

HOGBLOODED

I wish we could have Marty this year, Darren Mcfadden/Marty Ball= DOMINANCE

LR Hog

Butch, but we missed ouyr chance!
Like a boss.

leohog

31to6

Quote from: HOGBLOODED on February 19, 2007, 01:27:37 pm
I wish we could have Marty this year, Darren Mcfadden/Marty Ball= DOMINANCE
Until Florida, Tenn, LSU and the bowl game. Then we would lose, just like Marty loses in the playoffs and Hatfield and Nutt get handed their asses in bowls.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a program coming off the death penalty Marty would be the top of my list because he has unbreakable integrity and potential big name recruiting. But Martyball is lame and I bet he would have similar QB problems. Remember that much of Marty's success at SD was because he was forced to hire a strong OC.

That being said, I'd not be against Marty as a 3-4 year stopgap.

Martyball == Nuttball except without all the lies and deceit.

booogaga

JIMMY  FRIGGIN  JOHNSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO HOGS!

jmark

Butch's folks are still here.  I don't know if he personally owns a home in NWA.  But I would buy Butch a new Youth Center Card if he would just home.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

rfen

Why not let Reggie have HC and DC, with Lee as OC? 

BartIV

Next football coach: DAvid Lee, i don't like him, but i think the program does.

311Hog

Quote from: rfen on February 19, 2007, 01:52:51 pm
Why not let Reggie have HC and DC, with Lee as OC? 

Because David Lee is a HDN clone they are 2 sides to the same losing coin.  Reggie could be HC i wouldnt care really, but David Lee has to go aswell.

twistitup

Quote from: booogaga on February 19, 2007, 01:42:23 pm
JIMMY  FRIGGIN  JOHNSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darrel Johnston?

Jimmy Walker?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

holtzhog

Sounds good to me. The guy driving our street sweeper is a better choice

excapone

I agree, Jimmy Johnson, "wow" he may agree to come as inter-um coach for a year while we get a perm replacement. I can see it now!!!! every home game would be like "Game Day" with the press/media.

Regards,

EXCAPONE

HoopS

DC for the Bears, Rivera, will not be on the Bears staff next season.  He was in the running for the Cowboys job and is apparently currently unemployed. 

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

IBreal

Holy Cow!  We have a winner.  Nobody ever gives this guy hardly any credits but he is a genius when it comes to running an offense.  I hope he gets a head coaching job somewhere soon
Quote from: humphrey on February 19, 2007, 01:21:59 pm
Norm Chow

zwhogfan

I'd like Chow, or Peterson from Boise State

dirtydoghog

So with a Miracle win over a down OU team, suddenly some fans are ready to go hire Peterson away form Boise?  Wow, I guess I fail to understand that logic.

jmchog

Quote from: zwhogfan on February 19, 2007, 03:18:38 pm

Why in the world would we hire a 2nd coach from Boise State?

When Houston leaves for Texas A&M next year, we should
hire Charlie Strong to replace HDN.

hogsanity

Quote from: jmchog on February 19, 2007, 04:36:41 pm
Quote from: zwhogfan on February 19, 2007, 03:18:38 pm

Why in the world would we hire a 2nd coach from Boise State?

When Houston leaves for Texas A&M next year, we should
hire Charlie Strong to replace HDN.

Look at the last 3 coaches that left Boise.  Koetter is already our at ASU.  People are ready to hang HDN, and The guy at Colorado sounds like he has already cracked.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pentecostal

devildog

I've always thought Norm Chow should be at U of A, never really thought of him as a head coach but why not.

Someone ought to at least offer Jim Mora a visit. He's unemployed what could it hurt? :razorback:

TushCrush

No retreads please. How about some fresh, proven NFL talent?
Doug Marrone, OC for the Saints
Clarence Shelmon, OC for the Chargers
Greg Olson, OC for the Rams

HardCore

Steve Sarkasian...Assist Head Coach for USC.  Perfect senario (1) he can leave USC w/o disruption to their program, (2) allows us to can Nutt before Spring Drills, (3) geta HC from the most prominate college football program at this time who can actually tell you what a National Championship team looks like day in and day out.  Just a additional name maybe no one has yet considered.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

MikeCapshaw

The only person there that is a legitimate candidate is Herring, and he's not head coaching material. He lacks tact with the media and I'm not sure he ever wants to be a head coach.

The rest are VERY long shots.