Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wants Gus as our Head Coach?

Started by Misled, February 17, 2007, 09:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan160

online-with-swine

No.  Atleast not right now.  There is a lot of healing that needs to happen before he can come back.  Bringing him back too early may turn the huggers against him and further the disconnect b/t the fans and the PTB.  Don't get me wrong though b/c I would like to see  him as the coach.

The real Hogules

If my choices are Malzahn or Nutt, then I'm on the Gus bus no doubt.
I'd rather have an established HC (like a Butch Davis), but Malzahn would be an upgrade over our present HC.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PLAYBOAR

Hey Ref, does your wife know you're screwing us?

Misled

Reaganite

I'm all for Gus.  The huggers, however, need some time to see where Nutt will land (preferably in the sun-belt conf.) so that they can go worship him there.

Once that's done.  Bring him home!  He'll have some experience installing his offense with ncaa practice restrictions and will have it down to a science.

If he can use Nutt's playbook and get to 10 wins, just imagine what he can do without that dead weight.

online-with-swine

Also, there are going to be some players who are loyal to Nutt and not buy into Gus.  Atleast 3-4 years need to pass b/f I think he will be able to come back.

Hog Fan from Camden

I do, but not right now.  He does not have enough experience.  I'd say he will be ready in about 4-5 years.

Reaganite

Quote from: Pork-U-Very-Much on February 17, 2007, 09:27:07 am
Also, there are going to be some players who are loyal to Nutt and not buy into Gus.  Atleast 3-4 years need to pass b/f I think he will be able to come back.

Good point.  To many players have been "Stockholm Syndromed" by the Nutt cases.

bphi11ips

Bring him back now and get it over with.  That's the best thing for the team in the long run.  Gus is a winner - period.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

gduchar

omg, deja vu. still no.

i like the 5 year option.

gscottar

I would give my left Nutt for Gus to be the next head coach.

ORLANDOHOG

Oh yes that would be the smart thing to do! Another quailified AD wants Gus to be head coach!! :puke:

razorback4ever

February 17, 2007, 09:30:33 am #15 Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:03:02 am by razorback4ever
ME ME ME ME ME!!!!

I know he lacks experience, but I would take him over Nutt right now, even if his hire didn't work out in the long run. The smart thing would be to hire someone that brings the state back together, rather than another polarizing figure, but I have seen this man's offense in person, and have no doubt he would be successful running it here. What we saw in 2006 was so bastard in nature. Only Mitch's first offensive series against USC was a true look at Gus' offense. 80 yards and a TD in just over a minute.

Misled

If we don't get him now I believe we will never be able to get him.

ORLANDOHOG

Coacht

to really heal our program we MUST bring in a big name coach. I like GM, but he is too tied into the problems and there will be a portion of fans as seeing him as one of the reasons for the things going down. Even an up and coming coach will not help. It will have to be someone that we all will stand behind....jmho
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

VolHogg

I would give both nutts to get Gus, Danny and Houston both

TheSlick

Lets see how his offense works in Conf USA first...

Snarlton

I'd take a rookie Gus over an experienced HDN every time without blinking.

HawgJaws

bxw21

I think gus would be great!  I also think that it would piss Herring off.  Maybe we could do like Dallas and have an offensive coach and a defensive coach.  Either way, if Gus were to be hired, you would need to do something with Herring I think.

TheHogFan

no, no way, no how. Not ready, hasn't shown himself..........yet

online-with-swine

There is no doubt in my mind that Gus is the better coach.  Unfortunately, he along with alot of other people, have been somewhat tainted by the whole mess.  Bringing him in right now would make it seem as if he was trying to run HDN off.  Atleast that is how the Nutt supporters will try to paint it.  We need someone outside of Arkansas Razorback family to come in to give everyone a neutral leader that we can ALL get behind, not half of the fanbase.

Frank and Swine

I'll take Gus any day over what we have. In fact, I believe he is perfectly capable of being a HC in the SEC right now. It remains to be seen if he could get good established assistants to coach with him though.

steelers-hawgs 1 love

maybe later, but would make a hellava OC for Butch Davis

Ironhawg

Not enough experience at the college level yet. :razorback:

longtimeHogfan

Gus is right where he needs to be in just the right position; assistant head coach and co-OC.  Give him a couple of years to grow and mature.  After that, yes, bring him on!

P.S.  Given a choice between Gus and Dale right now?  Gus.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hogtropolis™

Nope, at least not for the 2007 or 2008 season.  He needs more college experience.

6HogsinGA

No offense to Gus, but I would prefer someone that proven himself other than in high school. Since it is the consensus of this board (and others) that Gus never got to do things his way and HDN called the shots, I guess I really haven't seen what Gus can do on an SEC college level with the offense. With that said, I guess we'll get to see what happens at Tulsa. I wish him every success.

hogsrbad

You people have officially lost your minds

PigKahuna

SeveredSwine

grizzlyhawg

No...

As said by others; I don't want Nutt either.

I DO NOT want another "up and comer".  I want a real FB coach with big time coaching experience. 

online-with-swine

GWFan

Ready right now.
Gus is a genius.  Believe you me, he can handle the job!

GWFan

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 17, 2007, 09:41:13 am
Not enough experience at the college level yet. :razorback:
That's an easy answer that would fit 99.9% of men in Gus' position, but Gus is a definite exception to this wisdom.

dogonit

No to Gus...  I once saw a gus in a horse race.  looked like a racehorse from a distance.  started well.  finished like a mule.  up close it was a mule.

Hawgon

He would be an improvement, but I don't want him right now.  And anyway, I don't think he would even take the job.  He would be the worst choice we could make right now as that the huggers blame him for everything. Give all the wounds a chance to heal and give Gus a chance to make a mark outside of Arkansas.  It will work out best for everyone.

Razor-back

He has a long way to go before he is an SEC caliber coach!

rude1

The only thing that could be worse than hiring Gus from highschool to an offensive coordinator position, is to throw him in as a head coach only a year removed from highschool. I don't understand how Gus gets this free pass, when the reality is he hasn't proved not one single thing on any college level. Let the guy go out and earn him his stripes like everyone else does it.

bcdeputy

razorback4ever

Quote from: dogonit on February 17, 2007, 09:55:25 am
No to Gus...  I once saw a gus in a horse race.  looked like a racehorse from a distance.  started well.  finished like a mule.  up close it was a mule.

So Gus is a mule?
Post less please, or think before you do. A mule?????????

hog.goblin

Give Gus a couple of years of recruiting and coaching experience in Tulsa and then I would be ready to review the possibility.  He is a great man, a great coach, but I'm not sure he is ready for D1 SEC.  One day I think he will be, and I hope there is an opportunity at Arkansas for him.

jdhoover

Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

ark8302

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 17, 2007, 09:28:52 am
Bring him back now and get it over with.  That's the best thing for the team in the long run.  Gus is a winner - period.

Amen!!!  Let's get Gus' training done on the Hill because in 4-5 years he will be coaching another team in a BCS bowl.  The cupboard will be bare after next year anyway... let him start recruiting his guys and we will be in business.  I have known Gus a since childhood and he has always been a winner!

James Tiberius Pork

I'd take Richard Simmons if it meant HDN was out.

77hawg77slop

Try to hire Schottenheimer, when he is ready to retire in a few years, Gus will be ready.