Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If He Doesn't Want To Be A Hog, Fine, I Want Kids Who Want To Be Here....

Started by TulsaHogFan, February 05, 2007, 06:46:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHogFan

I have heard this line several times in reference to D Williams, MM, Kodi Burns, Lee Ziemba, Zack Pianalto, Broderick Green, Bartley Webb, Ryan Mallet, and several others. 

I am going to say this right now.  To anyone who utters this absolute crap.  You have no idea of the first thing of NCAA SEC Recruiting.  Now am I an expert?   Of course not.  However to tell a player, that you only want players who want to be a Hog is absolutly ridiculous.

I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago with a very astute poster.  Recruiting is simply another version of sales.  You have a product.  It might be the best product in the world, or it might be the worst, or anywhere in the middle.  No matter what, you have to make sales.  You have to make closes.  I work in sales.  I have worked in sales pretty much my entire life in some fashion.  To say I don't want a sale because my customers is not interested in my product, is bull crap.  If they aren't interested in my product, I did a crappy job selling them. 

I thought about this today.  Do you honestly believe that the CEO of Ford looks at the sales numbers of Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, and says to himself "Well i am glad we didn't sell cars to those people.  Here at Ford, we only want to sell our trucks and cars to people who WANT to drive Fords."  If he were to say that he would be released immediatly.  Yet this excuse is somehow accepted here at the University of Arkansas.

Let me explain to some people what Frank and HDN have used as a crutch for years.  We are Arkansas.  We are not a perrenial power house in football now.  Most people do not grow up dreaming to play for the Hogs, unless they grew up inside this states border.  Heck some of the home grown players are not dying to play for Arkansas.  It is our job to out sell these kids and their families that we can offer them more.  If we can not sell these induviduals on this, we need new recruiters.  Its that simple.  If the recruiters complain of an inferior product, then they need to work harder to make the sales. 

I went into a meeting today to discuss sales numbers.  I thought about what would happen if i told my boss, i was happy we lost a few deals, because those people did not want to buy from us.  I imagined i would be packing my office right now.  So I did what i normally did.  We identified why we lost the deals and came to a conclusion to prevent that from happening again. 

I am sorry, but i wanted to post this.  I do not ever want to hear this BS excuse that Arkansas wants only the players who WANT to play for us.  We need every talented player right now.  It is the Arkansas coaching staff's, no matter who it is, responsibility to show these players why they should want to play for us.  If they are not able to do that, we need to get rid of them.

I have had enough of this "done more with less" crap. Its time to start getting more.  Its time to start closing some deals.  Either that, or find a new profession.

TULAWHOG

Agree completely.  Furthermore, you can sale a product without lies and deceit.

RhodeHog

Good post Tulsa...if kids don't want to play here, something is wrong with the program, not the kids.

bigguy551122

perfection is all i expect.

Random Parsley

Nice analogy.  I'm laughing while I visualize a sales manager trying that line like your Ford example...

WoooPigSooie

But if they don't wanna be hogs they can go somewhere else for all I care...somewhere like, say, Oklahoma State.
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

jcrowe01

zwhogfan

razor

When the head coach who was given a new lease on life with the hiring of Gus runs off Gus and some bigtime recruits, I think it's fair to say the HE doesn't want to be here. If we have any standards here, that is.

patgrl

Great post. I wish the PTB would grow a set and get rid of the vermin feeding on my tax dollars at the UofA

OKhogfan1959

You will always get the ones that are born and breed to be Hogs..You have to convince some and that is where Nutts lies are going to hurt.

Orlandoback

very true... Also, sales is so much better and can be a lot of fun when you have a product you believe in - maybe he doesn't love the helmet that much after all

TransAmHawg

It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Calling All Hogs

I agree with your post. The exception would be I do not want to arm twist a kid like we did Damian Williams. He clearly did not want to be hog last year.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: CallMeHog on February 05, 2007, 07:05:20 pm
I agree with your post. The exception would be I do not want to arm twist a kid like we did Damian Williams. He clearly did not want to be hog last year.

I disagree to an extent. 

I asked him about if he was ready to play after the first Fall Practice I attended.  He responded, that he was thrilled to be playing here, and could not wait to get going in practices. 

I believed him.  I believe i am a decent judge of a person.  Not perfect by any means, but if he was lying to me, he was damn good at it, cause he sounded 100% sincere.  He was standing right next to his mother and London Crawford (who by the way were both as respectful as possible, probably cause mom was 2 feet next to him lol).  But it was yes sir, no sir to every question asked by anyone.  Even the 4 year olds who were asking for autographs.

Both of them seemed genuinely excited about playing ball for the Hogs.

Scott E.

Great analogy!  Too bad the salesman in this situation gets paid a big fat salary.

PIGINAPOKE

Great post! My Dad was in sales,My Mom was in sales,My Uncle/Sister ect.

You are on it with this post..I lived in a salesman household all my growing years. I saw firsthand exactly the meaning of the word and what your are saying. Nutt sells the weak a line of trash and they buy it, Like a person with crap credit who walks onto a lot and can only pick from the last row of 100,00 mile Tarusus. He sees them coming and takes em to the shed.

Us types on the other hand see thru this gimic sales pitch that Nutt tosses out. Why? Yourself like me has seen it all.  3 card monty to the hilt.

Great post again............

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

hogsailor

You guys are facked up. This is college fb not the nfl.
We are talking about young kids looking ahead.
Soon you will be be talking about JH kids trying to decide which nfl team they want to play for.

Give it a break!

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

imahoggie

if he wants to be a hog, fine. i want kids who want to be here.

could we apply this to coaches too. i mean gus wanted to be a coach here.
i think butch wanted to be a coach here as well.
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

moley_russells_wart_hog

when i saw the title of the thread i was going take issue with what u had to say
but i see that wasnt your point,

but i will say this , i think some of those kids wanted to be hogs
but dont trust the coach

Hogpuddin

Great Thread and Post.  The only exception would be one choosing a school for Academics.  And technically that doesn't mean that they don't want to be a HOG, just maybe an Aeronautic Engineer.

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: Hogpuddin on February 05, 2007, 07:27:15 pm
Great Thread and Post.  The only exception would be one choosing a school for Academics.  And technically that doesn't mean that they don't want to be a HOG, just maybe a Aeronautic Engineer.

lol thats awesome

Hogpuddin

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on February 05, 2007, 07:31:15 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on February 05, 2007, 07:27:15 pm
Great Thread and Post.  The only exception would be one choosing a school for Academics.  And technically that doesn't mean that they don't want to be a HOG, just maybe an Aeronautic Engineer.

lol thats awesome

Thanks.  Nice Avatar.

VoR

Quote from: hogsailor on February 05, 2007, 07:18:50 pm
Soon you will be be talking about JH kids trying to decide which nfl team they want to play for.

Give it a break!
Nope, I think it is you that is (as you call it) facked up, think about it seriously, THF called it right, HDN is paid over $1m a year to what, to be the head coach. What is 1 of the main jobs and responsibilities of a HC, recruit. Recruiting, be it in the corporate sector, university, armed services, or whatever means to get someone interested in something they either might not be completely sold on, or even be aware of. A recruiters job is to make them want that position.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

jagoodwin1953

WestMemphisHogFan

One of your all-time best post, Tulsahog!  Maybe top ten that I have read on hogville.  I agree completely.  We have to do a better job of selling our program to these young people.  Bottom line, it is the coaches responsibility to bring in the absolute best recruits if we want to have and compete with the absolute best programs

pignatious

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2007, 06:46:23 pm
I have heard this line several times in reference to D Williams, MM, Kodi Burns, Lee Ziemba, Zack Pianalto, Broderick Green, Bartley Webb, Ryan Mallet, and several others. 

I am going to say this right now.  To anyone who utters this absolute crap.  You have no idea of the first thing of NCAA SEC Recruiting.  Now am I an expert?   Of course not.  However to tell a player, that you only want players who want to be a Hog is absolutly ridiculous.

I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago with a very astute poster.  Recruiting is simply another version of sales.  You have a product.  It might be the best product in the world, or it might be the worst, or anywhere in the middle.  No matter what, you have to make sales.  You have to make closes.  I work in sales.  I have worked in sales pretty much my entire life in some fashion.  To say I don't want a sale because my customers is not interested in my product, is bull crap.  If they aren't interested in my product, I did a crappy job selling them. 

I thought about this today.  Do you honestly believe that the CEO of Ford looks at the sales numbers of Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, and says to himself "Well i am glad we didn't sell cars to those people.  Here at Ford, we only want to sell our trucks and cars to people who WANT to drive Fords."  If he were to say that he would be released immediatly.  Yet this excuse is somehow accepted here at the University of Arkansas.

Let me explain to some people what Frank and HDN have used as a crutch for years.  We are Arkansas.  We are not a perrenial power house in football now.  Most people do not grow up dreaming to play for the Hogs, unless they grew up inside this states border.  Heck some of the home grown players are not dying to play for Arkansas.  It is our job to out sell these kids and their families that we can offer them more.  If we can not sell these induviduals on this, we need new recruiters.  Its that simple.  If the recruiters complain of an inferior product, then they need to work harder to make the sales. 

I went into a meeting today to discuss sales numbers.  I thought about what would happen if i told my boss, i was happy we lost a few deals, because those people did not want to buy from us.  I imagined i would be packing my office right now.  So I did what i normally did.  We identified why we lost the deals and came to a conclusion to prevent that from happening again. 

I am sorry, but i wanted to post this.  I do not ever want to hear this BS excuse that Arkansas wants only the players who WANT to play for us.  We need every talented player right now.  It is the Arkansas coaching staff's, no matter who it is, responsibility to show these players why they should want to play for us.  If they are not able to do that, we need to get rid of them.

I have had enough of this "done more with less" crap. Its time to start getting more.  Its time to start closing some deals.  Either that, or find a new profession.

I agree totally. That quote is uttered by losers who make excuses for our current leadership. Have some goals and a plan in recruiting and go get it done, instead of running people off! What a concept.
Freedom is never free.

Hogoman

You said it, but hell, even if we get the best we run them off. That's like making a sale and then telling the customer to go frick themselves.
I dont know who called that time out.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Im still a little confused...why would we want kids who don't want to be Hawgs?

Please don't bash me..

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Marshfieldhog

AWESOME POST.....I saw that line on one of the hugger boards today repeated many, many times. It's sickening really.

Albert Einswine

Great post THF. 

What about this question, how many truly good players have we missed that REALLY wanted to be Hogs but wanted no part of playing for Dale?

I believe we'd all be saddened to know the answer to that one.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

berg

Great post. 

I believe that Nutt is a great salesman.  He has completely sold himself to Broyles and did a good job of selling himself to the majority of the fan base for 6-7 years.  To bad he couldn't sell the school to recruits.

berg

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2007, 10:06:49 pm

Please don't bash me..

I think what he is

Please don't bash me..

I think that what he is saying is that we should convince them that they do want to be hogs.

razornole

wonderful post!

Please send it to Drainwater and Buck at the ministry of disinformation for tomorrow's excellent programing

WPEmail
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: berg on February 05, 2007, 10:10:14 pm

Please don't bash me..

I think what he is

Please don't bash me..

I think that what he is saying is that we should convince them that they do want to be hogs.

But if they TRULY want to be Hogs, we or Coach Nutt or no one else should have to convince them!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LyonHog

I agree totally!  Mcfadden and Hillis have both stated that they didn't care who the HC was, they just wanted to be a hog.  Look what they have done.  Mustain wanted to be a hog...well i guess we'll have to watch him be great somewhere else.  Oh yeah Broderick Green also wanted to be a hog but (not suprisingly) the UofA drug their feet and missed him.  I don't know why i just posted that, everyone already knows.  Sorry.

berg

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2007, 10:14:30 pm

Please don't bash me..

I think what he is

Please don't bash me..

But if they TRULY want to be Hogs, we or Coach Nutt or no one else should have to convince them!

Sorry, I forget that you use that beard to keep HDN warm at night.. ;D ;) ;)

Random Parsley

Apparently it's time again for another installment of

ogttunlitnivahston > notshavintilnuttgo.

Backwards is beautiful.

SpareRib

Great post, THF.   CMH, not sure I agree with you.  In the industry that was my career, surgical products, you sold hard - but then you darned well better deliver everything you promised.

Pork
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

SpareRib

Quote from: Porkaholic on February 05, 2007, 10:34:42 pm

Great post, THF.   CMH, not sure I agree with you.  In the industry that was my career, surgical products, you sold hard - but then you darned well better deliver everything you promised.

Pork

Further, you never promised anything you knew in advance you wouldn't deliver.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

pizwilly

Dale, why did you leave in the middle of the night to become an OSU Cowboy? 

Why would you possibly have the nerve to say to an 18 year old  - - " we only want kids that want to be here, and if you don't want to be here, then we don't want you."

It is freakin absurd, and yet another prime example of the HDN's LOW WATTAGE problem.

HogsRule

Quote from: VoR on February 05, 2007, 07:48:49 pm
Quote from: hogsailor on February 05, 2007, 07:18:50 pm

Give it a break!
Nope, I think it is you that is (as you call it) facked up, think about it seriously, THF called it right, HDN is paid over $1m a year to what, to be the head coach. What is 1 of the main jobs and responsibilities of a HC, recruit. Recruiting, be it in the corporate sector, university, armed services, or whatever means to get someone interested in something they either might not be completely sold on, or even be aware of. A recruiters job is to make them want that position.

sorry $1 million is the wrong argument. what is that like 8th in the SEC. if everything is based on pay, I guess that's where we should finish every year.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

hawgbawb

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 05, 2007, 06:50:58 pm
Good post Tulsa...if kids don't want to play here, something is wrong with the program, not the kids.
Are you saying that all talented HS kids have the character and leadership traits that suit the program?   I disagee.

Give me a 3-star kid with the right work ethic, team focus and attitude over a 4 or 5-star prima donna any day. You bring in a talented kid with the wrong attitude and he helps the recruiting rankings but hurts the team in the long run.  The 5 star guy that is ambivalent about being a hog will transfer or leave for the NFL early.

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

hydrophonic

Good post THF.

I think I'm going to start using that excuse when I lose a sale.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

Hawgustus Maximus

I am going to say this right now.  To anyone who utters this absolute crap.  You have no idea of the first thing of NCAA SEC Recruiting.  Now am I an expert?   Of course not.  However to tell a player, that you only want players who want to be a Hog is absolutly ridiculous.

hawgslop00

Very logical post.  I agree completely.  Very few kids get to go to exactly what college they have dreamed about going to, its stupid to say that if AR is not first on the list then we don't want em.  We need good athletes that can help our team regardless if AR was first or last on their lists.

little pigee

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2007, 10:14:30 pm
I'm still a little confused...why would we want kids who don't want to be Hawgs?

Please don't bash me..

I think what he is

Please don't bash me..

I didn't know that I TRULY liked girls until my pal's big sister convinced me.  Sometimes it's just the exposure to a good thing that is convincing!! ;D
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Hog Fan 51

Preach on brother. You can sell using deceit, but after the truth comes out, you lose all credibility, and no one will buy into your B.S. again. HDN & Frank are proof that sh*t can rise to the top!
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!