Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis Williams has changed his committment to Bama

Started by DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham, February 02, 2007, 11:22:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham

Per TiderInsider, Chavis Williams was offered and accepted a scholorship to Alabama.  One of Bama D-line recruits, John Brown, committed to Florida last night, leaving an opening for Chavis.

Littlehog AR

DeCori Green Eggs and Birmingham

Sorry no link.  A guy I work with is a member of the tiderinsider.com board and one of their mods just broke the news.  Thats the best I can do.

HUNGLOWHOG

Swino

HOGINTENNESSEE

LR Hog

This blows!!!   :razorback:  Thanks Chavis for all the memories!
Like a boss.

darazorback

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 02, 2007, 11:53:52 am
Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming.

Yeah I know it's pretty sad. I don't care if they are 17 or 18 y/os. No one was paying any attention to him until he accepted the scholorship from us. And when he commited, he said that he was greatful for Arkansas showing him some love, and wanted to help take us to the next level. Well suddenly Saban comes strolling into town, and he forgets the love we showed him at first. That stinks...all the same I will not wish him harm at all, and do wish him the best...Now I just hope that AC (Alex Cook) comes here to be an upgrade of a replacement  :razorback:

blueshog2001

I am just curious if his star ratings will jump up? It will be interesting to see what happens.  Well all I can say is let's go and get Cook. GHG!!!

SteelShot

It was just posted on the recruiting database that he is a solid verbal to Bama.  That blows.  We cant afford to lose guys out of this recruiting class. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

spankinbacon

That blows my mind, because if there is a bigger liar than Nutt it is Saban

younghog

Quote from: jeshipman on February 02, 2007, 11:22:11 am
Per TiderInsider, Chavis Williams was offered and accepted a scholorship to Alabama.  One of Bama D-line recruits, John Brown, committed to Florida last night, leaving an opening for Chavis.

did Chavis even give us a FIRM yes... Cuz all that I recall seeing was uncommitted.
GO HOGS

SteelShot

Rivals recruiting guy was on Memphis sports radio the other day and said that since Saban got into the recruiting game so late this year, he targeted sleepers or diamonds in the rough that either are uncommitted or committed to schools he knew he could easily beat out.  That says alot about this transaction. 

Anyway, Good luck Chavis. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

HogFaninGA

Williams.  He committed to Bama.  Sorry if this has been posted.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/default.asp

Hollywood_HOGan

not a surprise.

Bet he was foaming at the mouth for an offer from Bama.

WE better replace him with Cook.

razorbackfan4life

Welp! That sucks!  Way to keep your players Nutt!

Bomis Hawg

JD Hogg

Quote from: HogFaninGA on February 02, 2007, 12:37:18 pm
Williams.  He committed to Bama.  Sorry if this has been posted.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/default.asp

Wasn't this kid commited to us?

HawgG

This should not come as a surprise to anybody.Williams is an Alabama kid and the reason he was committed to Arkansas was because he had not received an offer from his dream school yet
     Saban obviously did his homework on both Williams and Ambrose and he knew that in case he would have an open spot he could easily get one of those kids away from Arkansas.IMO Saban probably feels that Williams is the better of the two and so the offer was made and accepted.

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

HDale

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 02, 2007, 12:43:48 pm
Lots of folks felt Alex Cook was a better player anyway.   

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=51805
Typical of a hugger.
When something goes bad, spin it the other way.
I will always hate the Dork

judgeroyswine

This is the kind of stuff one always says after his team loses a recruit.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

hogsmaster

Quote from: HawgG on February 02, 2007, 12:42:03 pm
    This should not come as a surprise to anybody.Williams is an Alabama kid and the reason he was committed to Arkansas was because he had not received an offer from his dream school yet
     Saban obviously did his homework on both Williams and Ambrose and he knew that in case he would have an open spot he could easily get one of those kids away from Arkansas.IMO Saban probably feels that Williams is the better of the two and so the offer was made and accepted.

makes sense but life is just not fair.

hogsanity

ISnt he from Bama?  Of course we are supposed to keep all of ours in state, but other kids are supposed to leave their states to come here.  Cant have it both ways.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

judgeroyswine

Quote from: HDale on February 02, 2007, 12:49:41 pm

Typical of a hugger.

Way to go HDale!  We posted the same thought at exactly the same time.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2007, 12:51:17 pm
ISnt he from Bama?  Of course we are supposed to keep all of ours in state, but other kids are supposed to leave their states to come here.  Cant have it both ways.

I always say that about colleges that don't have any other in state colleges competing with them.  We are the only major college in state (Arkansas St. does not count) and should not lose more than 10 to 15 percent of our in state recruits.  Bama has a decent excuse because they have to compete with Auburn.

g-townhog

For Dora defensive end Chavis Williams, the long wait is finally over. On Friday morning at his high school, Williams committed to Alabama coach Nick Saban, who was there to present him with a full scholarship offer.

Williams is expected to get his first shot at linebacker with the Tide.
"Chavis is excited beyond words," said Dora coach Johnny Wright, who guided Williams and his team to the 4A state playoffs this season. "He took care of his business and called the Arkansas coaching staff to tell them he was going to Alabama. Arkansas has really handled his recruitment in a classy manner, but Alabama is where Chavis wanted to go. He loved the fact it was close to home, and he wanted to play for coach Saban."

Williams, a defensive end in high school, will actually get a chance to play strongside lineback for the Tide.

"They want him to give linebacker a go first," said Wright. "If he grows out of that, and he has the frame to definitely do it, they will put him back on the line. For the time being, they like his athleticism and size at linebacker."

Williams accumulated over 100 tackles and 13 sacks his senior year. Arkansas had been in the driver's seat for Williams' service, but in recent weeks, the Saban staff had targeted the 6-foot-5, 220-pound linebacker who had reportedly wanted to stay closer to home. A visit to Tuscaloosa last weekend left Williams convinced that Tuscaloosa is where he wanted to go. "It was never a question of whether Alabama wanted him or not," said Wright. "It was always about Alabama working out the numbers. They said it may be a few days before Chavis heard something, and now he has the news he has been waiting for."

Bomis Hawg

Oh, he's not a 4-star recruit.  We only need those guys!

tbhogfan

Typical of a hugger.
Amongst other people, Rivals  and Scout both think he's better, he is a 4-star, and Williams is a 3-star in Rivals and a 2-star in Scout (who by the way, everyone was in an uproar about when he was offered because at the time he was a 2-star). 

There have been numerous discussions about this on this on the recruiting board.  So, exactly and precisely, what part of pointing out what the EXPERTS think about the two players do you think is spin? 
Go Hogs!

Tomhog™

I'm very disappointed, but knew it was a possibility.  Out of the 26, I figured he was the biggest risk in losing to Bama.  Guess we aren't the only school that goes with plan B.  He just happened to be our plan A.

tbhogfan

Quote from: judgeroyswine on February 02, 2007, 12:51:29 pm

Typical of a hugger.

The previous post goes for you too.  How about doing a small amount of research before just hopping in, labeling people and hopping out.
Go Hogs!

Tomhog™

Quote from: younghog on February 02, 2007, 12:29:56 pm

did Chavis even give us a FIRM yes... Cuz all that I recall seeing was uncommitted.

Yes.  He was interviewed not too long ago and said he was 'solid'.  Funny how much the word 'solid' means to people nowadays...

nuttpleaseleave

seanj22

playboy

I personally would rather have Cook.  Does Cook want to come here?

Winner

We're not having it either way.  We can't keep ours in state, and can't get the good ones from out of state.  I'd take having it one way. 

PulledPork

February 02, 2007, 01:48:56 pm #37 Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 01:52:48 pm by PulledPork
we don't have either way.....we can't keep em home and we can't get them to leave home, for us!

Dang, Winner....we must be on the same wavelenght today!

Pulled out...

fullfan

Who can we get on next here at Leftover U.   Whoever it is it will be spun as "the one really needed".  Nutt is 9 years in and still annually poor recruiting taking leftovers.  We are in the SEC look at Nutt's SEC overall record and you can see where his recruiting prowess gets us.   If you are not competing with SEC schools for the playing services of SEC caliber atheletes and winning some of the those recruiting battles then you will end up in Mediocreville in the SEC. 

This is making that cloud thing look funny.

Good luck Chavis.

PulledPork

I wonder what "under the radar, broken ankled, 2 star athlete" is waiting for us to offer out there?

Pulled out....

Winner

Quote from: playboy on February 02, 2007, 01:35:17 pm
I personally would rather have Cook.  Does Cook want to come here?

Having seen neither play, I have no idea who's better.  But generally, I prefer the high schoolers to the jucos. 

Biggus Piggus

Glad we kept him warm for them.
[CENSORED]!

dotnet

Quote from: PulledPork on February 02, 2007, 01:53:54 pm
I wonder what "under the radar, broken ankled, 2 star athlete" is waiting for us to offer out there?Pulled out....

I don't understand why people are acting like this.  I don't like losing recruits either, but it happens to everyone.  Bama, Miami, Florida, and Texas have all had recruits change on them in the last month or so.

I'm not a hugger, but our "back-up" plan is a four star which is higher rated than Williams. 

I wanted Williams to play here because I think he might be a big time player.  At the same time, there is no reason to turn it into a bash Dale thread just because he switched.  If everyone is worried about recruiting rankings, Williams' change should actually help our ranking.  I'm not huge Nutt fan either but some of these posts make no sense.

jmchog

brh

This morning as an Arkansas commit he WAS A 2 STAR... now Rivals has him a 3 star as a BAMA commit. What a crock of sh*t.  We can complain all we want about how our recruiting is going but with all the monkey business in the rating services who can tell.

Oliver

Quote from: brh on February 02, 2007, 03:20:17 pm
This morning as an Arkansas commit he WAS A 2 STAR... now Rivals has him a 3 star as a BAMA commit. What a crock of sh*t.  We can complain all we want about how our recruiting is going but with all the monkey business in the rating services who can tell.

That is an absolute lie.  He has been a 3 star recruit all along. 

Porkahontas

Actually,,,others have noted that he was a 3-star for Rivals and a 2-star for Scout before today.

If he's a 3-star on Rivals previously, he's just where he was before.

playboy

he's always been a 3-star on rivals

tbob

Look, it all depends on your perspective. Chavis Williams has the potential to be better than Alex Cook but Cook can step right in next year and start and will be better for 2 years than Williams. Williams might be a Jamaal Anderson his junior and senior years but we aren't losing that much IF Cook comes to help our IMMEDIATE needs. (And no I am not a Hugger). ::)

Space Man

Quote from: judgeroyswine on February 02, 2007, 12:51:29 pm

Typical of a hugger.

Houston Right can do not right in many people's eyes. Many people complaining are the same people who complained when Arkansas signed a kid that nobody had offered but Marshall.   Houston Nutt has made plenty of mistakes and is not a good recruiter, but the fact that Chavis Williams decommitted has nothing to do with Houston Nutt.