Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Herring's son chooses Auburn

Started by Babbitt, January 29, 2007, 06:32:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Babbitt

FAYETTEVILLE — Shiloh Christian linebacker Adam Herring has become the third in-state football player to orally commit to Auburn. Herring, 6-1 1 /2, 220 pounds, 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash, the son of Arkansas defensive coordinator Reggie Herring, chose Auburn over Clemson, North Carolina State and Middle Tennessee. "I was born there and I have always had a dream to go back to my birth place to play college football," Herring said Sunday night. "I have always loved Auburn." Auburn also has secured commitments from Fort Smith Northside quarterback Kodi Burns, 6-2, 190, 4.6, and Rogers offensive tackle Lee Ziemba, 6-7, 295, 5.17. The Herrings decided long ago it would be better if Adam went away to college no matter where Reggie was coaching. In addition to his defensive coordinator duties, Reggie also serves as linebackers coach at Arkansas. "I'm going to play middle linebacker at Auburn," Adam Herring said. "I'm quick and I feel I'm tough, but I have to go down there and prove everything and show what I c - Monday, January 29, 2007

Can you blame him???

Hawgz4Life

Shoot, man...sometimes you gotta follow a dream....Mitch did and look at the success he had!

hogfan064

I can't believe he actually considered Clemson, a place where Herring was fired.

3kgthog

If Reggie says it'd be too hard coaching his own kid then it's probably a wise decision. They both stated that fact months ago so I doubt the recent b.s. had anything to do with this.

Zeno

January 29, 2007, 06:42:13 am #4 Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:37:34 am by Zeno
No one knows better the sad situation on the Hill better than Herring. I'm sure Herring told Arkansas don't recruit Adam, it'll just look bad when another local player jumps ship.

Zeno

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 29, 2007, 06:41:41 am
If Reggie says it'd be too hard coaching his own kid then it's probably a wise decision. They both stated that fact months ago so I doubt the recent b.s. had anything to do with this.

Damage control.

LA HAWG

You know, Herring knows HDN pretty well.  This speaks volumes.

artyhog

I would not have wanted to play for my father either.

Zeno

Quote from: LA HAWG on January 29, 2007, 06:54:40 am
You know, Herring knows HDN pretty well.  This speaks volumes.

That just about sums it up, I think.

Dugann

don't blame him a bit why would he want to come to Arkansas ?
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

russvegas

Good for him, but does every Arkansas athlete have to go to Auburn this year?

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

preach33

I think it was a smart move. If my father was the DC - and I was a defensive palyer or for that matter, he was going to be my position coach, I would go to another school. Hard to play for POPS

GO

Looks like TT is building a fence around his home state....SAD

GO

Hogchick

My goodness some of you are just looking for things to complain about.  I am sure Reggie and his sone decided it was NOT a good thing for him to play for his dad.

Would any of you want to play for your dad if it was Reggie Herring?  I think not.  Quit trying to make something out of nothing.

spudhog

Quote from: Babbitt on January 29, 2007, 06:32:52 am
FAYETTEVILLE — Shiloh Christian linebacker Adam Herring has become the third in-state football player to orally commit to Auburn. Herring, 6-1 1 /2, 220 pounds, 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash, the son of Arkansas defensive coordinator Reggie Herring, chose Auburn over Clemson, North Carolina State and Middle Tennessee. "I was born there and I have always had a dream to go back to my birth place to play college football," Herring said Sunday night. "I have always loved Auburn." Auburn also has secured commitments from Fort Smith Northside quarterback Kodi Burns, 6-2, 190, 4.6, and Rogers offensive tackle Lee Ziemba, 6-7, 295, 5.17. The Herrings decided long ago it would be better if Adam went away to college no matter where Reggie was coaching. In addition to his defensive coordinator duties, Reggie also serves as linebackers coach at Arkansas. "I'm going to play middle linebacker at Auburn," Adam Herring said. "I'm quick and I feel I'm tough, but I have to go down there and prove everything and show what I c - Monday, January 29, 2007

Can you blame him???
first of all, he's too slow for reggie. second of all, i don't think he would want to play for his dad. third, auburn's lb's sucked last  year. he has a chance to make a splash there.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hogchick on January 29, 2007, 07:53:07 am
My goodness some of you are just looking for things to complain about.  I am sure Reggie and his sone decided it was NOT a good thing for him to play for his dad.

Would any of you want to play for your dad if it was Reggie Herring?  I think not.  Quit trying to make something out of nothing.

Reggie has infact stated numerous times that he decided it was best for his son to play for another school.  If Reggie was at Southern Cal his son wouldn't have gone to Southern Cal.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: GO on January 29, 2007, 07:52:40 am

GO

Keep spinning, at this point it is all you have.

DeltaBoy

Seems like everyone loves TT good luck to Herring!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

HognotinMemphis

Herring's son isn't the issue. Losing Zimba and Burns to Tuberville is...and Tommy being able to come into NWA and take 2 of the best 3 players in the state, who live within 45 min of U of A campus, speaks volumes about perception of Nutt and his program among in-state HS football players.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

gjohnson80

We didn't even offer.  We already had our quota of three star athletes.

GO

No Spin here buddy
Quote from: dirtydoghog on January 29, 2007, 08:04:02 am

GO

j

No spin here my friend just facts. TT gets 3 players from AR and 2 are highly recruited players. I would say this year his record recruiting AR is better than NUtt's, what say you.

GO

HogHillbilly

Kinda sad though...........Maybe he doesn't want to play on a sinking ship
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

jkstock04

Let me make sure I understand this.....Auburn offered Herrings son a full scholarship??
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

dirtydoghog

Quote from: GO on January 29, 2007, 08:34:48 am
No Spin here buddy
Quote from: dirtydoghog on January 29, 2007, 08:04:02 am

GO

j

No spin here my friend just facts. TT gets 3 players from AR and 2 are highly recruited players. I would say this year his record recruiting AR is better than NUtt's, what say you.

GO

Oh yes sir, it's all spin and you know it.  Adam didn't want to play for his dad, I have no problem with that and it was told well in advance.  This is a family matter and has nothing to do with some stupid fence.   Stop trying to make everything a HDN negative.  I may not like the guy but some of you twist and turn everything so much that you make HDN look like the most truthful man on earth. 

10thPlanet

Lets say he didn't want to play for his Dad, why in the crap does he have to go play for an SEC West team? So Daddy can try and beat him? There's more to it, but it will all come out in the wash.

toph27er

Herring's son wasnt going to play ANYWHERE that his father was coaching.  Period.

His going to Auburn has nothing to do with HDN or anything but a decision that was made a long time ago when he and his son felt it best for him not to coach his own kid.

For those even remotely spinning this like it has to do with anything other than that is ignorance at it finest.

fu-man-soo

regardless another in-state gut going elsewhere

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 29, 2007, 07:54:36 am
Reggie has infact stated numerous times that he decided it was best for his son to play for another school.  If Reggie was at Southern Cal his son wouldn't have gone to Southern Cal.
Agreed...besides, if he had committed to the U of A, can you imagine the yelps about nepotism and "wasting" a scholarship on him just because he is Herring's son?..Not that I think that necessarily, but some would say it.

Babbitt

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 29, 2007, 08:25:41 am
Herring's son isn't the issue. Losing Zimba and Burns to Tuberville is...and Tommy being able to come into NWA and take 2 of the best 3 players in the state, who live within 45 min of U of A campus, speaks volumes about perception of Nutt and his program among in-state HS football players.

We will never get another quality  player from NWA until the Nutts are gone.

joebut18

Quote from: dkwvike on January 29, 2007, 09:01:43 am
Lets say he didn't want to play for his Dad, why in the crap does he have to go play for an SEC West team? So Daddy can try and beat him? There's more to it, but it will all come out in the wash.

Please go support your new favorite team....the NAIA golden hurricanes...and take your conspiracy theories with you.

Babbitt

GO
[/quote]

Irrefutable argument. NWA has become TTtown.

10thPlanet

Joe please learm how to really support a team
Quote from: joebut18 on January 29, 2007, 09:26:18 am
Quote from: dkwvike on January 29, 2007, 09:01:43 am

Please go support your new favorite team....the NAIA golden hurricanes...and take your conspiracy theories with you.
Joe please learm how to really support a team, and not just be a push over boy. I'm here and staying and I'm telling the truth. It will all come out in the wash. When they start losing when Dmac is gone, you'll be a Hater like the hundreds of others that have changed.

PulledPork

Zack Hill signs to play for his dad at Fresno St.....nothing like coaching your own son into being a man/player on your team.

Pulled out...

PulledPork

Zak Hill signs to play for dad at Fresno St.....nothing like playing for your father and being developed as a man/player.

Pulled out...

GrumpyHog

Is he walking on or did he get a Scholarship?

Whataboar™

I've never been a proponent of anyone coaching their own son.
It's a no-win situation for both father and child.
I would tend to be harder on my own son just to show that I'm not favoring
him.
It would be a very fine line to walk.
Don't blame the Herrings for taking this approach.
I wouldn't read anything else into this young man's decision.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

BartIV

I think Herrings boy made a good decision, not by choosing Auburn over Arkansas, but by not wanting to be coached by his father. Imagine his boy getting a scholarship at Arkansas, people would raise hell about that. I think that Tubby Smith at Kentucky got into some trouble for giving his son a scholarship to play for him at Kentucky. Herring made a smart move to Auburn.

Jim

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on January 29, 2007, 09:20:44 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on January 29, 2007, 07:54:36 am
Agreed...besides, if he had committed to the U of A, can you imagine the yelps about nepotism and "wasting" a scholarship on him just because he is Herring's son?..Not that I think that necessarily, but some would say it.

I'd think this would be more of the reason(s) why Adam is going to Auburn than any detriment of Houston's.  We've already heard from all the Springdale haters how Mitch was shown favoritism and expected to be treated like he was different.  Can you imagine how people would've responded to the DC's son coming to play for HIM and how Adam would be (perceived) getting preferential treatment?  Why walk into that hornet's nest if you honestly didn't want to play for Arkansas to begin with?

Adam's a good kid.  He's got a lot of fight in him but I think that's the kind of attitude you need to bring as a LB in the SEC.  He'll do well at AU but unfortunately for us, it's just another one of those "situations" that is probably best avoided.

Whataboar™

I've never been a proponent of anyone coaching their own son.
It's a no-win situation for both father and child.
I would tend to be harder on my own son just to show that I'm not favoring
him.
It would be a very fine line to walk.
Don't blame the Herrings for taking this approach.
I wouldn't read anything else into this young man's decision
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: artyhog on January 29, 2007, 07:10:46 am
I would not have wanted to play for my father either.
not a Nutt fan here, but the bottom line is that Adam and Reggie had an agreement that Adam would not play for Reggie.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Ahenso

It doesn't matter. a 4.7 40 playing LB in the SEC just wont cut it. It doesn't matter about arkansas and his son choosing another school. We have plenty of depth at LB.

Phaedrus

Quote from: Ahenso on January 29, 2007, 11:01:29 am
It doesn't matter. a 4.7 40 playing LB in the SEC just wont cut it. It doesn't matter about Arkansas and his son choosing another school. We have plenty of depth at LB.

Oh really, you must have forgotten about Jermaine Petty. Possible the slowest linebacker to ever play at Arkansas and all he did was become All-SEC. Herring will be playing middle linebacker which generally roams a short field from tackle to tight end and is the quarterback of the defense in the 4-3 scheme. With his frame he can carry 230 to 240 pounds. I am sure we will be hearing from him in the near future. Oh by the way, his pedigree isn't too bad either. Reggie is the 3rd leading tackler in Florida St. history.

LSPRazorbac

RH would have been is position coach as well as his Defensive Coordinator.

It would of been just as hard on RH as was is son.  Think about it, if there are better atheletes at that position how would you like to tell your son that he wasn't good enough to start.

Ahenso

Quote from: Phaedrus on January 29, 2007, 11:26:29 am
Quote from: Ahenso on January 29, 2007, 11:01:29 am
It doesn't matter. a 4.7 40 playing LB in the SEC just wont cut it. It doesn't matter about Arkansas and his son choosing another school. We have plenty of depth at LB.

Oh really, you must have forgotten about Jermaine Petty. Possible the slowest linebacker to ever play at Arkansas and all he did was become All-SEC. Herring will be playing middle linebacker which generally roams a short field from tackle to tight end and is the quarterback of the defense in the 4-3 scheme. With his frame he can carry 230 to 240 pounds. I am sure we will be hearing from him in the near future. Oh by the way, his pedigree isn't too bad either. Reggie is the 3rd leading tackler in Florida St. history.

Yes he will go to Auburn and sit behind a long list of players.. if he makes it then more power to him. I have nothing against the kid and I see him almost everyday. I wish him the best of luck.

He just has a lot of work to do because there is alot of depth at LB for auburn.

Alonzo Horton LB  6-3  242  Fr.  New Orleans, LA 
Mark Pickett LB  6-2  206  So.  Thomasville, GA 
Brian Summerhill LB  6-1  223  Fr.  Alworth, AL 
Chris Evans LB  6-0  220  So.  Prichard, AL
Merrill Johnson LB  6-0  213  So.  Butler, AL 
Courtney Harden LB  6-0  229  So.  Leighton, AL   
Jacob Shirey LB  6-0  215  Fr.  Fort Payne, AL 
Byron Isom OL  6-3  282  Fr.  Jonesboro, GA 
Justin Berryman LB  6-0  199  So.  Alpharetta, GA 
Craig Stevens LB  6-3  210  Fr.  Talahassee, FL 
Patrick Trahan LB  6-2  220  Fr.  New Orleans, LA 
Hendrick Leverette LB  6-0  221  Fr.  Hattiesburg, MS 
Steve Gandy LB  6-2  201  So.  Waynesboro, MS 
Tray Blackmon LB  6-0  205  Fr.  LaGrange, GA   

This is also exlcuding anyone from this years class that I didn't incldue.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on January 29, 2007, 08:25:41 am
I suspect Tommy Tuberville is really enjoying getting the NW Ark players, and beating Nutt in recruiting for the area, as satisfaction for Nutt being chosen for the Arkansas HC over him.

As I understand it, at that time, he really wanted to come back to his home state and coach, but Houston Nutt's persona and salesmanship, won over the committee. 

It seems that you don't want to buck Tuberville, as he seems to come back to bite you in the a---.

Just ask one former Auburn AD.

Will these recruits come back to beat Nutt coached Razorback football teams?