Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A.J. Whitmore says no thanks

Started by moondog, January 25, 2007, 02:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Hog

HoggieStyle

Who could even be angry anymore? It's become so pathetic that it's not worth getting worked up over.

The question "what other BCS shools recruited Whitmore?" is fairly ridiculous. He turned down a BCS school (Arkansas) to go to Tulsa. People attach "doesn't want to be a Hog" to these kids, when I think they would gladly be Razorbacks provided the HC were someone else. Whether or not he was recruited by "big schools" makes no difference. The fact that Dale can't even get in the kid's door is telling. IMO, it's even worse than if he were pursued by bigger schools.

SpaHog

Quote from: HoggieStyle on January 25, 2007, 03:14:23 pm
Who could even be angry anymore? It's become so pathetic that it's not worth getting worked up over.

The question "what other BCS shools recruited Whitmore?" is fairly ridiculous. He turned down a BCS school (Arkansas) to go to Tulsa. People attach "doesn't want to be a Hog" to these kids, when I think they would gladly be Razorbacks provided the HC were someone else. Whether or not he was recruited by "big schools" makes no difference. The fact that Dale can't even get in the kid's door is telling. IMO, it's even worse than if he were pursued by bigger schools.

HE DID NOT TURN US DOWN!!!

blue

I find it a little amusing that if Gus had contact with him before he left, He must have been up front with him about the style offense we would have. Now that he is with Tulsa he is up front with him again about the style offense they will be running.

blue

Quote from: SpaHog on January 25, 2007, 03:18:32 pm

Well we were on his list. He turned down something.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=52111#colleges

BigSnout

Who on here would trade the corners we are going to sign with Whitmore?  This argument doesn't make Nutt look bad.  Do you guys searisouly want AR to recruit a 5'7" corner with 4.6 speed just because Gus has got the kid to committ to Tulsa?

hogfan2286

This is ridiculous, we have not offered AJ Whitmore a scholarship.  If we haven't offered him a scholarship, how can he turn us down? I also really doubt that we tried to have an in-home visit with him, as Nutt is going to have an in-home with another Arkansas prospect tonight.  Just because someone is a Landers Award Finalists doesn't mean that they translate well to the SEC.

BigSnout

Quote from: blue on January 25, 2007, 03:23:07 pm

Did he have an offer? 

Swino

From what I heard, this story is correct.  He turned down a visit from the Razorback coaching staff, which means he didn't care if he was offered or not. 

hogfan2286

Quote from: BigSnout on January 25, 2007, 03:25:27 pm

Did he have an offer? 

No he does not have an offer.  He has offers from Kansas State, Tulsa, and Louisiana Tech.

BigSnout

Quote from: Swino on January 25, 2007, 03:27:11 pm
From what I heard, this story is correct.  He turned down a visit from the Razorback coaching staff, which means he didn't care if he was offered or not. 

That's good, then his feelings would not have gotten hurt when he didn't get an offer.

heinekenhary

January 25, 2007, 03:28:44 pm #61 Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:34:00 pm by heinekenhary
AJ is a great kid.  I got meet him and his dad last summer and be around them and talk to them quite a bit for a couple of days.  At that point he was set on K-state.  I asked if he was considering AR and he said he would love to go to AR but they didn't lead him or his dad to believe they were ever going to offer.  He was also considering another D-1 that was going to let him play Fball and Baseball.  He's a 4 out of 5 tooler in baseball.  Wouldn't surprise me if he got some MLB looks.  3 scouts I talked to last summer really liked him.
No, he's not very big, but he would open up a can on Fish any day of the week.

BTW, looks like Crosby Tuck is solid even after Tubby and Tulsa made their pitch to him.

Just saw the other post, La Tech was the other school.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

Squealsonwheels

Quote from: moondog on January 25, 2007, 02:25:37 pm
To the Razorbacks. After he committed to Gus and Tulsa, and won the Landers Award, Arkansas finally called and wanted to set up an in-home visit. He politely responded "no thanks". Once again, Arkansas too late on an in-state prospect. The Top 10 players in this state are all headed outside of this state.
Nice hustle Dale.."The hardest working recruiter" says Frank Broyles

blue

Did he have an offer? 
How would I know. I don't think we would be on the list without interest. Maybe a walk on invite and possibly earn a scollie. If Arkansas said no thanks, then we would not be on his list. Any interest from a BCS school is equivalent to whatever Tulsa gave him.

BigSnout

Quote from: heinekenhary on January 25, 2007, 03:28:44 pm
AJ is a great kid.  I got meet him and his dad last summer and be around them and talk to them quite a bit for a couple of days.  At that point he was set on K-state.  I asked if he was considering AR and he said he would love to go to AR but they didn't lead him or his dad to believe they were ever going to offer.  He was also considering another D-1 that was going to let him play Fball and Baseball.  He's a 4 out of 5 tooler in baseball.  Wouldn't surprise me if he got some MLB looks.  3 scouts I talked to last summer really liked him.

BTW, looks like Crosby Tuck is solid even after Tubby and Tulsa made their pitch to him.

Sounds like a good kid.  Hope he does well. 

Truknhog

Wouldn't Grant Freeman, David Williams & Grant Freeman be considered TOP 10?

hogfan2286

Quote from: blue on January 25, 2007, 03:31:20 pm

Did he have an offer? 
How would I know. I don't think we would be on the list without interest. Maybe a walk on invite and possibly earn a scollie. If Arkansas said no thanks, then we would not be on his list. Any interest from a BCS school is equivalent to whatever Tulsa gave him.

Except for the fact that Tulsa has offered a scholarship and we haven't. Regardless, I think he is going to be a good player. I have seen some film of him, and I do think that he is better than fish was coming out of of high school.

blue

Quote from: BigSnout on January 25, 2007, 03:31:25 pm
Quote from: heinekenhary on January 25, 2007, 03:28:44 pm

Sounds like a good kid.  Hope he does well. 
So how do you spin the other kids we HAVE offered, and we got our feelings hurt.

LJHOG

fullfan

I called that slow play on B. Green, Pinalto, and now Whitmore, brutha  - HDN

blue

Quote from: hogfan2286 on January 25, 2007, 03:34:28 pm

Did he have an offer? 

Except for the fact that Tulsa has offered a scholarship and we haven't. Regardless, I think he is going to be a good player. I have seen some film of him, and I do think that he is better than fish was coming out of of high school.
I promise you that there are kids all over the country that have chosen to walk on to BCS schools over a full ride to a small school.

LJHOG

Quote from: LJHOG on January 25, 2007, 03:35:08 pm
who pray tell is A J Whitmore?

Nevermind, he's 5'9" according to scout.com   that means he more like 5'8" or shorter.  i am sure he's a great kid, but he is way too small to play in the SEC right now.  he might grow some, but at this point i wouldn't even encourage him to walk on.

hogfan2286

Quote from: blue on January 25, 2007, 03:36:56 pm

Did he have an offer? 

I promise you that there are kids all over the country that have chosen to walk on to BCS schools over a full ride to a small school.

I'm sure kids have done that, but more often than not kids will take the scholarship. It would be tough to walk away from a chance to play D1 football and go to a quality school for free.

pfrg999

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 25, 2007, 02:41:59 pm
Let's examine a scenario. Is it out of the realm of possibility to believe that Tulsa could possibly steal several of the good players from Arkansas? Assume:

1. Tulsa's offense is truly as exciting as it appears to be shaping up to be
2. Tulsa wins the WAC a few times in the next 3-4 years

Sure their facilities and fan support are crap compared to ours, but Tulsa has the coaches and the enthusiasm to take many of these diamonds in the rough that we seek to sign every year. They might even be able to snag some of the Arkansas top 10 at some point if they perform up to the potential of their coaches.

I know many of you will laugh at this, but Tulsa will have a fun offense to play in and that's what stud players want. You can get to the NFL from just about anywhere because scouts will find you. Malzahn might be our new Bo Hembree just without the under the table contributions from UT to keep the pipeline flowing.

Dude ... They are in the C-USA... Not the WAC...And They are spending 23-25 million dollars on facilities
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HogFaninGA

It is rather ridiculous that you HDN supporters are now bashing this player b/c he doesn't want to come here or have an in-home visit.  The kid I guess decided he doesn't want sloppy seconds and be an afterthought.  Some of you guys are saying he is to small, not quick enough, ect., but guess WHAT HDN wanted to talk to him so I guess 1 person thought he was good enough to play in the SEC.

hogfan2286

Quote from: HogFaninGA on January 25, 2007, 03:43:34 pm
It is rather ridiculous that you HDN supporters are now bashing this player b/c he doesn't want to come here or have an in-home visit.  The kid I guess decided he doesn't want sloppy seconds and be an afterthought.  Some of you guys are saying he is to small, not quick enough, ect., but guess WHAT HDN wanted to talk to him so I guess 1 person thought he was good enough to play in the SEC.

AJ is a great player, but this in-home visit has not been confirmed. I doubt that it is true because Nutt is visiting another in-state player tonight.

blue

Quote from: hogfan2286 on January 25, 2007, 03:40:17 pm

Did he have an offer? 

I'm sure kids have done that, but more often than not kids will take the scholarship. It would be tough to walk away from a chance to play D1 football and go to a quality school for free.
I don't disagree.The thread was that he said "no thanks" to a visit. That stings.

hogsanity

Im not bashing him.  I am just wondering who Tulsa beat out for him.  And, as i said earlier, if we signed a kid with similar stats from out of state, and beat out Tulsa for him, HDN was be drilled for signing him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

heinekenhary

I saw him run a 6.85 60 in a driving rain, on outfield grass at UALR than hadn't been cut in a few days.  He can run, and again, play circles around Fish, not even close.  K-State had talked about playing him at wr.  I think he would be a pretty good wr in Malzahn's offense.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2007, 02:28:52 pm
Quote from: JLaHawg on January 25, 2007, 02:27:33 pm
Wow.....another one escapes the "fence".

So if we beat Tulsa for a recruit are we gonna hear, " well his only other offer was Tulsa."?  Who else was on this guy?

PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION:

That is really sad hogsanity, but it is a PERFECT example of your perspective and how Nutt-like, how ridiculous and how mediocre it is. 

We are SUPPOSED TO ALWAYS BEAT OUT SCHOOLS LIKE TULSA SO THAT SHOULD BE THE NORM, NOT ANY BIG NEWS.  Looks like that is changing since Nutt ran these good people off.  Because of his jealousy, not any real good reasons, btw....
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bigbrutha

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 25, 2007, 02:28:00 pm
To the Razorbacks. After he committed to Gus and Tulsa, and won the Landers Award, Arkansas finally called and wanted to set up an in-home visit. He politely responded "no thanks". Once again, Arkansas too late on an in-state prospect. The Top 10 players in this state are all headed outside of this state.

I have a feeling that Tulsa might clean our clock in recruiting Arkansas players.

Darksiders and Huggers should laugh in unison on that one

mchogfan

An
Quote from: pig_sooie on January 25, 2007, 02:41:08 pm

The top 10 players? Which list are you looking at? Oxner, Freeman, Williams, Cook, Tuck, Tejada, and Franklin are all Hogs. The only 2 players we actively recruited and lost were Burns and Ziemba.

And the reasons we didn't get them were...

Burns committed to Auburn because Mustain was here, and then he wouldn't rescind his commit after Mitch left.

Ziemba's parents are Auburn Alums.

California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

bighog77

Quote from: hogfan2286 on January 25, 2007, 03:27:51 pm

Did he have an offer? 

No he does not have an offer.  He has offers from Kansas State, Tulsa, and Louisiana Tech.

pignation

Good grief!  That's great that he turned Arkansas down for an in-home.  I don't even know that it is true, but so what.  If we would have been recruiting him hard we would have heard, "So, who else wants him?  Good gosh HDN we are trying to steal him away from Kansas State and Louisiana Tech?  Stupid HDN...Stupid.  We aren't recruiting against the big boys for him.  He's a two star on scout for crying out loud.  You are an idiot."   

Your hatred for HDN has skewed your logic.  You argue for more big time recruits and then scold HDN with Whitmore?  I don't like what has been going on with HDN and that whole crew, but the contradictions in the statements are amazing!

BigSnout

Did he have an offer? 

Every kid is different.  Some kids can't afford to go to school unless they are on scholarship, some would rather play then to sit on the sidelines of a BCS school, and yes some would rather go to a big time school than to have a chance to play at a smaller school.  I hope the kid does well, but he doesn't sound like the caliber of athletes that we are recruiting at that position. 

HogFaninGA

Quote from: hogfan2286 on January 25, 2007, 03:45:40 pm

AJ is a great player, but this in-home visit has not been confirmed. I doubt that it is true because Nutt is visiting another in-state player tonight.

Swino confirmed it.  He would know.

razrken

I don't think Gus has as good of relationship with HS coaches in-state as you think.  He was known to run the score up a time or two.  14 times last year I might add.

nocalhog

Amazing, a guy who we have never recruited.  I mean never, not even enough for him to mention us to recruiting gurus, and all of a sudden Gus gets him away from the powerhouses of K State and La Tech and Gus beat out Arkansas.  Not a fan of Nutt, but you lose all credibility if you try to act like Arkansas lost Whitmore. 

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: pig_sooie on January 25, 2007, 02:41:08 pm

Ziemba and Burns...1 and 2 instate..
I guess he was good enough to get a late call from Arkansas..LOl..Quiting talking up all these other guys who are getting called lately...

The top 10 players? Which list are you looking at? Oxner, Freeman, Williams, Cook, Tuck, Tejada, and Franklin are all Hogs. The only 2 players we actively recruited and lost were Burns and Ziemba.

GolfingAndy

Quote from: mchogfan on January 25, 2007, 03:49:28 pm
And the reasons we didn't get them were...

Burns committed to Auburn because Mustain was here, and then he wouldn't rescind his commit after Mitch left.

Ziemba's parents are Auburn Alums.

Its more complicated than that. Neither wanted anything to do with the train wreck that is Razorback football right now.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: razrken on January 25, 2007, 03:52:57 pm
I don't think Gus has as good of relationship with HS coaches in-state as you think.  He was known to run the score up a time or two.  14 times last year I might add.

I know for a fact that he is respected and liked by many of Arkansas HS coaches..YOu don't have a clue guy...Gus is class and honest..Most people other than Huggers like those qualities.

joebut18

He said NO THANKS to the visit...which most likely would have been an offer to WALK ON.  That's it...at this point in the recruiting game, if you don't have an offer you aint gonna get one.  This is not a bash on the player, but there simply better players out there than him. 

Everyone needs to realize that this senior crop isn't that good - better corners for sure exist outside the AR borders.  I for one am happy that we don't settle for mediocer in-state players and try to aggressively get players from bigger and better football-player producing states (TX, GA, AL, LA, OK, etc.).

Deal with it people, Gus isn't going to take SEC caliber players with him to frickin' Tulsa.  The ones he takes, he can have!

GolfingAndy

Quote from: joebut18 on January 25, 2007, 03:59:04 pm
Deal with it people, Gus isn't going to take SEC caliber players with him to frickin' Tulsa.  The ones he takes, he can have!

Let's hope the coaches don't share your opinion.

heinekenhary

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on January 25, 2007, 03:58:43 pm

I know for a fact that he is respected and liked by many of Arkansas HS coaches..YOu don't have a clue guy...Gus is class and honest..Most people other than Huggers like those qualities.

Beat me to it.  I've never heard 1 HS coach say a negative word about Gus, not one.
-Lou Brock

dcrback

I just hope he doesn't catch the winning touchdown pass against us next year in the Independence Bowl!   ;D
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

blue

That will earn you respect, from a real coach.

jagoodwin1953

AJ Whitmore very good he was the best player in the state this year  my my wow going to gus wow gus is on the ball. 8)

TheHogFan

No one as answered my question. Pick two of these to go after and you will see why. We do not have unlimited scholarships!
-William Cole
-Terry Carter
-Wade Bonner
-AJ Whitmore

I am sure he is a great kid and player, but do you really want a 5-8 guy playing the type of man press we play? Complaining just to complain.

ceegar

Independence Bowl??  When did TU change to Big 12.  As far as A.J. goes he is a good athlete but the Hogs dont need another R Fish.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

joebut18

Quote from: TheHogFan on January 25, 2007, 04:16:31 pm
No one as answered my question. Pick two of these to go after and you will see why. We do not have unlimited scholarships!
-William Cole
-Terry Carter
-Wade Bonner
-AJ Whitmore

I am sure he is a great kid and player, but do you really want a 5-8 guy playing the type of man press we play? Complaining just to complain.

**crickets** 

i guess some don't do their homework enough to realize that these guys are MUCH better SEC  prospects (no offense to AJ).