Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marcus Monk is now officially...

Started by PlaygroundLegend, January 18, 2007, 02:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PMP11

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 18, 2007, 02:43:15 pm
Monk did what he had to.  He'll be a senior next year and he wants to win.  He only wants guys around him that want to be at Arkansas.  I see no problem with that. 

Well, if that is the case, Monk is my favorite hog now too.  This would mean he wants Nutt gone as well.  We all know Dale's history with our program:

Transferred after freshman year when things weren't going his way

Tried to go to Nebraska the first chance he got with a nice offer from another program

Flirted with LSU after proclaiming his undying love and support for the hog helmet

Yep, that about sums it up, Nutt has always wanted to be here no matter what the situation.  He would never leave UA if the grass looked greener on the other side..........................pathetic

gduchar

hey guys LSUFan's comments are from the movie Cool Hand Luke and are not racist in any way shape or form...

but i do find them to be tasteless based on the context of the movie

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: jameshogfan on January 18, 2007, 02:57:08 pm
Quote from: football-writer on January 18, 2007, 02:54:02 pm
Quote from: Le Hogtre on January 18, 2007, 02:50:56 pm
Quote from: artyhog on January 18, 2007, 02:38:01 pm
Quote from: LSUFan on January 18, 2007, 02:31:55 pm
Quote from: PlaygroundLegend on January 18, 2007, 02:08:16 pm
...my favorite Razorback for what he did yesterday. He's always been a class act, good player, and good academics. Now it appears he's going to be a very good senior leader for this team.

P.S. I know this is way too positive and will probably be deleted like a similar post yesterday. This board has now officially 'jumped the shark'. Guys, censorship is never the answer. You can't lampoon Clay Henry for censoring 'negative' posts and then delete posts that are deemed too 'positive' for your tastes. There are no dirty words in here. Everything is even spelled correctly. So there is no reason to delete.

Let me translate what Marcus was REALLY saying:

"Yasaa Boss, Shakin' dah bush boss, shakin' dah bush"

That was the most horrible thing that anyone has said about this BS.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

By the way, the Darkside lost in the movie.

I agree arty.  LSUfans comments are deplorable.

Not to mention borderline racist...

I didn't appreciate them either.

The
Quote from: gduchar on January 18, 2007, 03:02:54 pm
hey guys LSUFan's comments are from the movie Cool Hand Luke and are not racist in any way shape or form...

Deplorable, tasteless, abusive,racist bash.......cannot spin this
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

ShellHog

Yes.
"I think what we have here, Is a failure to communicate.....Some people just never learn."

gduchar

seriously, that's from the scene where Paul Newman is getting ready to make a run for it. they are working on a chain gang and the PN goes to use the bathroom and the guard tells him that if the bush stops shaking he will shoot him. LSUFan basically paraphrased Newman's quote from the movie.

the guard and Newman are both white.

Steef

This is my first post on any board anywhere, so if I mess it up, bear with me. And no, I'm not HDN in disguise. I live on the east coast and haven't been on the Razorback campus since FJB was the coach!

There is a point here that no one has addressed...

How unusual is it that a player would call a press conference? Should players be ALLOWED to call a PC? In my naive' world, players are still student athletes who should be protected and nurtured from such things (I SAID I was naive'). I can't recall ever seeing a PC given by any other college athlete anywhere (interviews after games don't count).

It's commendable that some of the players feel strongly about team unity, whether they were manipulated into it or not. We need to continue our support for all of the young men wearing our helmets.

I'm not a fan of HDN and never have been. But I'm not a darksider, either. Hatred is counterproductive and wrong.

Neither am I a Hugger. HDN is not a good coach and apparently not a nice man ( O.K. - one more time - I TOLD you I was naive'. I happen to think young men should be entrusted to people who have decent values. Not going to happen in the NCAA, you say? My reply...Joe Paterno. ) My longsuffering wife cannot bear to watch a game anymore. She knows almost nothing about football and STILL gets crazy at the playcalling!

This year's success is about DMAC, FELIX, JAMAAL and some exceptional linemen. We won 10 games in a tough league with virtually no quarterback and constant bickering between coaches. That is a testament to the quality of players on the field, not to HDN. We won those games in spite of him, not because of him.

That he would ALLOW this press conference to occur ( to cover his backside ) tells me that I don't want him around anyone wearing my beloved hog on their helmet. It is a symptom of a greater illness on the hill. We shouldn't be applauding Marcus, et. al. We should be worrying for them.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on January 18, 2007, 02:09:31 pm
I notice how you only have single digits on your # of posts, Houston...i mean, er...PlaygroundLegend...

I don't have single digits on my post count, and I agree completely that Monk showed great senior leadership!!

football-writer

It doesn't matter how many posts youhave made on this board if you feel your statement is correct.  I've seen a lot of idiotic posts from people on here that have over 3,000 posts.
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

football-writer

Quote from: steefhog on January 18, 2007, 03:31:52 pm
This is my first post on any board anywhere, so if I mess it up, bear with me. And no, I'm not HDN in disguise. I live on the east coast and haven't been on the Razorback campus since FJB was the coach!

How unusual is it that a player would call a press conference? Should players be ALLOWED to call a PC? In my naive' world, players are still student athletes who should be protected and nurtured from such things (I SAID I was naive'). I can't recall ever seeing a PC given by any other college athlete anywhere (interviews after games don't count).

It's commendable that some of the players feel strongly about team unity, whether they were manipulated into it or not. We need to continue our support for all of the young men wearing our helmets.

I'm not a fan of HDN and never have been. But I'm not a darksider, either. Hatred is counterproductive and wrong.

Neither am I a Hugger. HDN is not a good coach and apparently not a nice man ( O.K. - one more time - I TOLD you I was naive'. I happen to think young men should be entrusted to people who have decent values. Not going to happen in the NCAA, you say? My reply...Joe Paterno. ) My longsuffering wife cannot bear to watch a game anymore. She knows almost nothing about football and STILL gets crazy at the playcalling!

This year's success is about DMAC, FELIX, JAMAAL and some exceptional linemen. We won 10 games in a tough league with virtually no quarterback and constant bickering between coaches. That is a testament to the quality of players on the field, not to HDN. We won those games in spite of him, not because of him.

That he would ALLOW this press conference to occur ( to cover his backside ) tells me that I don't want him around anyone wearing my beloved hog on their helmet. It is a symptom of a greater illness on the hill. We shouldn't be applauding Marcus, et. al. We should be worrying for them.

Dang!...You took it all and ran with it.  Great post!
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

Steef

ShellHog

Good Post.
Have a question though.....Lets just say what-if.
What-if M. Monk, DMAC, Luigs, and Harrison DID orchestrate the entire presser on their own. Just what-if?

Would that change your views about anything or anybody currently associated with the Arkansas Program?

HogSophist

Quote from: ShellHog on January 18, 2007, 03:51:34 pm

Good Post.
Have a question though.....Lets just say what-if.
What-if M. Monk, DMAC, Luigs, and Harrison DID orchestrate the entire presser on their own. Just what-if?

Would that change your views about anything or anybody currently associated with the Arkansas Program?

I'll throw in just for kicks. Maybe they did, hell i have no idea. But if they did it does show that there are some who will stand up and state a position, and i will applaud that. Unfortunately, it seems to also imply a lack of control on the coaches part/Ad's part/chancellors part, yada yada...
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

KayJay

I am proud of those players. I agree with you playground. You can have an opinion no matter how many posts you've made.

...my favorite Razorback for what he did yesterday. He's always been a class act, good player, and good academics. Now it appears he's going to be a very good senior leader for this team.

I notice how you only have single digits on your # of posts, Houston...i mean, er...PlaygroundLegend...

Steef

Let's assume for a minute that the players themselves orchestrated the entire event. Kudos to them for taking initiative and trying to do something about it. Kudos for them for standing in the glare of media blood-thirst for the sake of the helmet. Kudos.

My two year old grand-daughter likes to climb ladders, too, but I don't let her. Ladders are bad for children. Ladders can take care of themselves. Just because she does it once without injury, doesn't mean it was a smart thing to do.

And the illness that made it look necessary, is not healed.

hawaiianhogster

I didn't hear what he said but if he talked negatively about another teammate wether that person(s) is still there or not That definately is not good quality leadership in my opinion. It's not what I call being a man about it.

pneaville

well said.  i think the ncaa refers to it as "a lack of institutional control"
God is a Razorback

rasorback4life

Look, if your hate blinds you so much that you hate the players that are left, then go be a Tulsa fan.  I believe that it is time for Nutt and Frank to go, but I won't put the players we have down because they stand up for what the believe!
Mediocrity Rules!!!

Melhog

Quote from: PiggyBack on January 18, 2007, 02:13:46 pm
Dale was seen entering and exiting the BC before the meeting per FOX 16 while the company line was "he was away recruiting."  Yes, it was the players doin' the talking.....

Exactly. It was painfully obvious that this was Dale's handy work. If he didn't encourage it, he condoned it.  Pretty sad when your players have to do your work for you because you as the head coach have no credibility left.  Nothing against Monk at all, but this is the same kind of team leadership Butu was lauded for because he got MM up against a locker asking "are you with us or not".  Those are the head coach's responsibilites. Too bad Dale doesn't know it. 

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on January 18, 2007, 04:09:07 pm

I didn't hear what he said but if he talked negatively about another teammate wether that person(s) is still there or not That definately is not good quality leadership in my opinion. It's not what I call being a man about it.

He , and the others, said nothing negative about Gus, Damien, or Mitch............
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

Little E

Dude, I like Monk a lot myself but he's a terrible student.  He may make the grades but his attempts are horrible. 

ShellHog

Quote from: steefhog on January 18, 2007, 04:04:31 pm
Let's assume for a minute that the players themselves orchestrated the entire event. Kudos to them for taking initiative and trying to do something about it. Kudos for them for standing in the glare of media blood-thirst for the sake of the helmet. Kudos.

My two year old grand-daughter likes to climb ladders, too, but I don't let her. Ladders are bad for children. Ladders can take care of themselves. Just because she does it once without injury, doesn't mean it was a smart thing to do.

I will only say those guys have given their blood & sweat for the Razorbacks.....its my opinion they know much more than anyone on this message board about the entire situation.
They are seeing/hearing things that are not true in their eyes, they wanted to stand up and defend their coach and team.

Its their football team more than its any of the coaches/boosters/fans.  Those guys did what they thought was best for THEIR TEAM!

I would not let my 2 & 5 year old son's make their own decisions. But when 19 - 22 yr olds? We are talking about men with a lot at stake concerning Hog Football....I think they can make their own decisions. Maybe you don't.

Monk made a HUGE decision last week...much more important than whether to hold a presser or not!  He's seems like a pretty sharp guy.

ShellHog

Quote from: Little E on January 18, 2007, 04:21:26 pm

Dude, I like Monk a lot myself but he's a terrible student.  He may make the grades but his attempts are horrible. 

Man...Don't even start with this talk!!!! 

ShellHog

January 18, 2007, 04:31:17 pm #72 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:34:42 pm by ShellHog
Some may think its a lack of control for a coach let a writer follow his 16-17yr old  players around everyday and put what they say & do in a book.  Is it Gus's fault what his players were quoted as saying in the book?   
That seems more lenient than letting a few hold a presser to say positive things about the program

Little E

Quote from: ShellHog on January 18, 2007, 04:25:50 pm
Quote from: Little E on January 18, 2007, 04:21:26 pm

Man...Don't even start with this talk!!!! 

What talk?  It's true.  I know we're not supposed to talk about players in a negative manner and I'm not trying to but that's just the flat out truth.  I know this because my husband has lots of classes with Monk and he got into some academic trouble last semester over a project.  A group project.  That's all I'll say. 

jameshogfan

Quote from: ShellHog on January 18, 2007, 04:31:17 pm

Some may think its a lack of control for a coach let a writer follow his 16-17yr old  players around everyday and put what they say & do in a book.  Is it Gus's fault what his players were quoted as saying in the book?   
That seems more lenient than letting a few hold a presser to say positive things about the program.

Decent point there shellhog.

hogfan47

congratulations
thats your opinion
In my opinion he was out of line and so was the rest of the team that got up and spoke.  It gives the university yet another black eye.
[/quote]

yep how dare he not toe the darkside line  ( sarcasm intended )
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

Hognfried

Quote from: ShellHog on January 18, 2007, 04:24:07 pm

I will only say those guys have given their blood & sweat for the Razorbacks.....its my opinion they know much more than anyone on this message board about the entire situation.
They are seeing/hearing things that are not true in their eyes, they wanted to stand up and defend their coach and team.

Its their football team more than its any of the coaches/boosters/fans.  Those guys did what they thought was best for THEIR TEAM!

You are right that the players know more than anybody of this board or the media.  I'm not a darksider or hugger, but there are huggers that don't understand what is wrong with this (NuttnFrank and MitchGus Swinging gate) there are darksiders that, although steadfast in their convicitons, are stirring the pot and don't know how wrong they are....

The problem with Darksiders is that they think are so smug about their convictions and reasons for their assault of the coach. The only thing the darksiders can say, really, is that they think because of Nutt n Frank we will lose 6 games in 07 and in 08 we will go below .500 and every year there after...... 

I think the 07 football team will 10 + and a bowl game.  If so, then he has two more years. So, save your money because you can't do anything about the coaching staff and AD. 

hawaiianhogster

I would not let my 2 & 5 year old son's make their own decisions. But when 19 - 22 yr olds? We are talking about men with a lot at stake concerning Hog Football....I think they can make their own decisions. Maybe you don't.

Monk made a HUGE decision last week...much more important than whether to hold a presser or not!  He's seems like a pretty sharp guy.

Not knocking any player(s) but what they are doing is protecting the coach that help them out with their scholarship and starting role on the football team. To me they don't have to say a word but since they did tells me they have no idea what happened between Nutt and the springdale boys. That's why they got on tv to say their peace. It one sided view from within the program. That's why I don't listen to anyone that speaks highly of a coach that I know is wrong.

Steef

We agree on a couple of things. They do know more about what's going on than anyone on any of these boards...AND...it is their football team.

Oh, also, I would allow my 19-22 year old son or daughter to climb a ladder by themselves.

But I wouldn't let them give a national media press conference. Allowing that is committing a couple of mistakes.
1. Where does it stop? Can any player call a PC at any time? Yes? No? We call that chaos. There is supposed to be someone in authority making those decisions.
2. The fact that they felt a need for it, suggests that there is something wrong. Is it just public perception gone awry because of bad publicity? They're worried because they're team is being unfairly reported on? It's not their responsibility to fix this problem. It's their coach's responsibility. Oops. It's a mess their coach made.

That's why I said the illness isn't healed by this.

I'm not saying that the players did anything wrong. I'm not saying that they don't have a right to speak.

I'm saying that they shouldn't have to take the hit for their coach.

Ridgerunnerpiggie

Amen Brotha!  I've gained a TON of respect for Robert Johnson too!
Go Hogs Go!

hogs dont cry

Quote from: strawhog on January 18, 2007, 02:12:13 pm

P.S. I know this is way too positive and will probably be deleted like a similar post yesterday. This board has now officially 'jumped the shark'. Guys, censorship is never the answer. You can't lampoon Clay Henry for censoring 'negative' posts and then delete posts that are deemed too 'positive' for your tastes. There are no dirty words in here. Everything is even spelled correctly. So there is no reason to delete.
congratulations
thats your opinion
In my opinion he was out of line and so was the rest of the team that got up and spoke.  It gives the university yet another black eye.

That's just sad man.  If you've ever been a part of something bigger than yourself you would understand that Marcus was far from being "out of line".  You obviously have no idea what these guys go through to be a D1 athlete.  If you worked that hard for something and saw it being torn to pieces, you would do whatever you could to help the situation. 

We're all upset with Nutt and JFB, but I'm proud that we have kids on this team that take pride in being a Razorback and are willing to stand up for the program.  You may not agree with him, but I promise you this program would be a lot worse off if it were full of a bunch of guys that didn't care.

A black eye?  I don't care if you are a Darksider, Nutthugger, Sunshine pumper, or a gloom and doomer, that's the most ignorant statement I've seen made by any one person on any message board during this whole soap opera.

Ridgerunnerpiggie

Quote from: KayJay on January 18, 2007, 04:04:15 pm
I am proud of those players. I agree with you playground. You can have an opinion no matter how many posts you've made.

Adolf Hitler once wrote a VERY long book...did that make him smarter than the rest of the world?  BTW, I read the book and it was terrible! 
Go Hogs

ShellHog

Quote from: steefhog on January 18, 2007, 04:45:51 pm

We agree on a couple of things. They do know more about what's going on than anyone on any of these boards...AND...it is their football team.

Oh, also, I would allow my 19-22 year old son or daughter to climb a ladder by themselves.

But I wouldn't let them give a national media press conference. Allowing that is committing a couple of mistakes.
1. Where does it stop? Can any player call a PC at any time? Yes? No? We call that chaos. There is supposed to be someone in authority making those decisions.
2. The fact that they felt a need for it, suggests that there is something wrong. Is it just public perception gone awry because of bad publicity? They're worried because they're team is being unfairly reported on? It's not their responsibility to fix this problem. It's their coach's responsibility. Oops. It's a mess their coach made.

That's why I said the illness isn't healed by this.

I'm not saying that the players did anything wrong. I'm not saying that they don't have a right to speak.

I'm saying that they shouldn't have to take the hit for their coach.

They did not take any hit for the coach.....

Maybe their parents should have had the presser?   Maybe they should have written a book?
I don't know, I thought it was a good move on their part.   

LSUFan

I'm glad one of you saw the movie.

hogs dont cry

January 18, 2007, 05:03:44 pm #85 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:06:40 pm by hogs dont cry
Quote from: hawaiianhogster on January 18, 2007, 04:45:47 pm

Not knocking any player(s) but what they are doing is protecting the coach that help them out with their scholarship and starting role on the football team. To me they don't have to say a word but since they did tells me they have no idea what happened between Nutt and the springdale boys. That's why they got on tv to say their peace. It one sided view from within the program. That's why I don't listen to anyone that speaks highly of a coach that I know is wrong.

Yes, that's right.  Marcus Monk, Darren McFadden, Marcus Harrison and Jonathon Luigs are all worried about losing their scholarships and starting jobs next year.  They don't have to protect anything.  His job is in their hands.

You're reaching man.

rev. tim

Quote from: Pastor_Hog on January 18, 2007, 02:17:12 pm
I am glad Monk spoke up.  It showed that he is a leader and he wants to win next year no matter who is in charge.  I will not be supporting Nutt or JFB, but I will be supporting our players.  We are paying for the player's education and in return they are both entertaining us and making us proud.

Amen, brotha.  Never punish the children for the sins of their parents.

ShellHog

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on January 18, 2007, 04:45:47 pm

Nutt said he would give any player a scholly release...so they held the presser b/c they really like HDN.  Can you believe that.......

Newhopehog

This is the same Monk that announced a few days ago that he was leaving the team to go to the NFL..I believe that is called quiting.....he found out those millions were not going to be there so he comes back and wants to be the team leader...what he did is no different than MM except he came back...both were leaving for what they thought were necessary for career development..what makes one better than the other.....not bashing monk just telling it like it is...

JustoHogFan

Not Mine. He was just doing what he was told. I like Monk but he should not be doing damage control for Houston and Frank when they can damn well do it themselves

Mark Martin Fan

I have 3 questions:

1.  If it is OK for Rick Cleveland to call a reporter and reveal the contents of the meeting with Frank Broyles and it is OK for Beck Campbell to do a press release...is it OK for players who have donated blood, sweat, and tears to the Razorback football program to have a press conference?

2.  For those who are bashing Nutt for having the players talk when he should do it...didn't he talk to the press on Tuesday and Wednesday?

3.  If Nutt would have muzzled the players and not let them speak...would the reaction be that he just didn't want the truth to come out, that he is afraid of what the players might say?

Not saying there isn't blame to go around, just curious about these 3 specific items....

GO HOGS!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Hog Fan for Life!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 18, 2007, 02:36:06 pm
It speaks volumes to me that the players are united. I believe firstly that if Houston resigns they would stay together.

Monk was class when he made his statements. He seemed to be a voice of reason. I would disagree with the argument of Houston coaching all of that Presser though. He may have coach some, but not all. My reasoning would be the way that Harrison spoke concerning the issue. He was class too, but He was definitely in a defensive mode, he's loyal. Monk and Dmac were more passive with their statements than Harrison. Did anyone else notice this or was it just me?

I agree, Monk has been a class act.  Just like Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams.  Good players, good academics.  All they wanted was to be great leaders and players, too.  Unfortunately, Nutt didn't give them the chance and ran them off.  Get ready, more will come out soon and you will be ashamed of ANY support you have ever given to ANYTHING Nutt has done, including staging this press conference.

Don't forget about Mitch and Damian...class acts AND some..

WPS
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Dugann

monk and dmac a tool of HDN what are they going tell him no i am not going do it? I think dmac's body language said it all he was not into it IMO.  that was a staged thing like HDN was in Texas and a reporter seen him at the U staged.... HDN is keeping a low profile till some heat wears down spin 101 ..... very sad that he sends players out to do dirty work.... that press conference had to be approved by the u of a so there for IMO it was at the blessing of the u of a and mostly put into works by them to throw a spin....i mean what the hell else you think they will do to combat the on slough.  they are not going stand there and take it ... you want war boys it just a fact.  we are at war folks, fight for our program now a select few that want it to be a social event so they can look good and tell others oh look what i am doing.   the fan the average fan don't matter to them, war? yes folks war.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Verge

i agree with you, except the "good player" part...

he's by far the worst "primetime" reciever in college football. I'd take 2 rojo's over him in a second.

hogs dont cry

Quote from: Dugann on January 18, 2007, 05:13:35 pm
monk and dmac a tool of HDN what are they going tell him no i am not going do it? I think dmac's body language said it all he was not into it IMO.  that was a staged thing like HDN was in Texas and a reporter seen him at the U staged.... HDN is keeping a low profile till some heat wears down spin 101 ..... very sad that he sends players out to do dirty work.... that press conference had to be approved by the u of a so there for IMO it was at the blessing of the u of a and mostly put into works by them to throw a spin....i mean what the hell else you think they will do to combat the on slough.  they are not going stand there and take it ... you want war boys it just a fact.  we are at war folks, fight for our program now a select few that want it to be a social event so they can look good and tell others oh look what i am doing.   the fan the average fan don't matter to them, war? yes folks war.

Uh, no.  The only Razorback fans at war are the ones in Iraq dealing with more important things than this soap opera.  You need to chill out my man and find a little perspective.

spahoopsfan

Why shouldn't Monk be a hugger.  He is about the only receiver to go out on a pattern. He doesn't get bitched at for dropping a pass. And he dropped his share.  I for one don't care about his opinion.

Steef

Quote from: Mark Martin Fan on January 18, 2007, 05:09:41 pm
I have 3 questions:

1.  If it is OK for Rick Cleveland to call a reporter and reveal the contents of the meeting with Frank Broyles and it is OK for Beck Campbell to do a press release...is it OK for players who have donated blood, sweat, and tears to the Razorback football program to have a press conference?

2.  For those who are bashing Nutt for having the players talk when he should do it...didn't he talk to the press on Tuesday and Wednesday?

3.  If Nutt would have muzzled the players and not let them speak...would the reaction be that he just didn't want the truth to come out, that he is afraid of what the players might say?

Not saying there isn't blame to go around, just curious about these 3 specific items....

GO HOGS!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

This is a free country. All of our citizens are allowed (legally) to speak to whomever they want.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea. That same grand daughter that isn't allowed to climb ladders...also isn't allowed to speak in church. She'll get over it.

I don't know about R. Cleveland's conversation with a reporter. No opinion.
Beck Campbell made our Razorbacks the joke of the nation for a two-week span. Can anyone legally stop her? Of course not. Did she accomplish anything positive? Hmmm.

Yes, Coach Nutt did have two press conferences right before the boys had theirs. And still, they felt compelled to add to his comments. Were his comments not accurate? Not comprehensive? What did he miss that they corrected? Did they accomplish anything positive? Maybe. The reactions around the internet are mixed.

If Coach Nutt had muzzled...etc. You're right about one thing. If a story had gotten out that Coach Nutt had prevented his players from speaking to the press, there would have been a different kind of firestorm about 'suppression of free speech', etc. Would that have accomplished anything positive?

Yep. It would have shielded the boys from the mud of media. Those boys should be thinking about two things...their education...and football. In that order. And it's their coach's responsibility to worry about the PR. My point all along has been that like any good parents, we should be concerned first and last with the welfare of the players. They might be giants amongst us, but they are still impressionable young men.

By 'we', I mean the school administration, the coaching staff, their actual parents and us, the fan base.

The media is a ravening pack of wolves who doesn't care what consequences they cause. We should. Keep the boys out of that mess. Don't encourage it.

rzrbak_chic09

i agree..marcus is definitely one of my favorite hogs

GBPackerFan

I have to ask, and please understand that I am not trying to stir anything up.  I am just curious about this b/c I have seen tons of posts about the presser yesterday.  So, my question to everyone who shares this view point that this action should have come from the coach and not the players...if Nutt would have held this exact same press conference yesterday and said the exact same thing that Monk did (from the stance of head coach and not a player, obviously), would everyone be saying that they were glad that he did that and you may have gained a little more respect for him or whatever?  I assume that everyone would be saying that Nutt just stood up there and "lied to everyone again" and "he is so egotistical" and whatever else people are saying about him.  That is just what I assume people are saying.  So don't try to take this as me putting words into your mouth.  I think that Monk and the other players kind of understand that and they might have believed that if they stand up there themselves and give their own viewpoint on the matter, then everyone might take it as the truth and settle down about everything. 

Now before everyone goes off on this, I am going to point out like I always do when I make statements that are against the general opinion of the board, that I am in no way a "Hugger" or a "Darksider."  I just root for the Hogs and try to remain as optimistic as possible about the program.  Now have it...

snortyann

A certain mom has paid her dues to the sport
From high school to college the sport changes
A woman who loves the sport and has made contributions of time, sweat and love over the lifetime    of a son/player speaks and is derided
Men in power speak and any question of credibility is suspended
Speaking in a man's world/realm she knows what responses she will get
She has been lied to before and must stand up
On the hill the show must go on
It is a spinner bait n' switch
"Look fans, we have a new offensive coordinator"
"Look at the good players, even great ones we have still"
"It's all just misunderstandings and the meddlings of women"
"Come one, come all, buy your tickets"
"Come see, come see the greatest show on earth!"
"The one, the only Circus De Soooie!"*

* no ticket will be refunded, winning or satisfaction is not guaranteed--that's why we have to sell you with the bait n' switch. Look for the switch within another mediocre season.