Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball has lost it's personality

Started by HDale, December 30, 2006, 04:12:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HDale

December 30, 2006, 04:12:41 pm Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:52:17 pm by HDale
I believe that at basketball team's play will mirror it's coaches personality. I like coach Heath and I believe that he knows basketball, but he has the personality of a wet sock.

I like a coach who looks like he is involved in every play.
I like a coach who looks sweaty and tired after the game.

Coach Heath looks like just left a funeral.
I will always hate the Dork

HawgG

Quote from: HDale on December 30, 2006, 04:12:41 pm
I believe that at basketball team's play will mirror it's coaches personality. I like coach Heath and I believe that he knows basketball, but he has the personality of a wet sock.

Liking coaches that sweats and looks tired?Well...humm...O.K. I understand.

fourthcrusade

Yeah, wow, we just won by 30 points and had 7 turnovers in the whole game.  Steven hill made 2 alley-oops.

We SUCK.  Disband our 10-3 team NOW.

g.lynn

I had tickets but didn't go.  Watched on TV until I fell asleep in 1st half.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

fourthcrusade

Quote from: g.lynn on December 30, 2006, 05:21:51 pm

why not just burn money then?  its faster.  you wasted your tickets, and wehad 80 pts with 4 min left.  couldnt stay awake for a blowout win huh?

WilsonHog

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 05:24:40 pm

why not just burn money then?  its faster.  you wasted your tickets, and wehad 80 pts with 4 min left.  couldnt stay awake for a blowout win huh?

We are in the entertainment age, fourthcrusade.

It's all about entertainment.

chiefsfan

Ill admit its not as fun to watch as Nolan's team was.  But we cant expect every coach to run up and down for 40 minutes

We have a decent ball club right now that is very inconsistant.  One one hand we had no problem with West Virginia, who is 11-1 and just beat UCONN by double figures.  On the other hand we get destroyed by Texas Tech, who has losses to such powers as Air Force and UNLV

Next Saturday begins our toughest stretch of the season with a home game against #8 Alabama and then a game @ Defending National Champion Florida.    Getting 1 out of 2 would be huge...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 30, 2006, 05:27:22 pm

admittedly, there is better entertainment when we are playing someone of note.  And we dont have an entertaining brand of basketball to begin with.  Its not that beating La Tech by 30 is a bad thing, it was expected.   Its just Arkansas fans are used to us winning that game 100-70 instead of 80-50...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

fourthcrusade

December 30, 2006, 05:31:43 pm #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 05:33:30 pm by fourthcrusade

weems tomahawk jam and hill's alley oopS and washington's alley oop and beverley blocking from behind and thomas going 10-10 from the stripe and michael washington taking 3 charges and making, what, 9? three pointers -- that's not exciting?  we scored 80 and won by 30, we pounded it down low and shot beautifully from the arc.  how is that not entertain--

oh wait, i know.

its because a bunch of hogville 'fans' have decided that nothing stan heath ever does will be "exciting", so even a great game is seen through dark-colored glasses, and so we suck.

forget that thousands of fans that would be there are in orlando, no, low attendance must mean we suck.

not you, wilson, but many on this board need to realize we have had some bad games and we have had some VERY GOOD games -- but they will not give the hoops hogs an ounce of credit.  i swear some "fans" on here act like a bunch of jr high girls

fourthcrusade

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 30, 2006, 05:31:26 pm

admittedly, there is better entertainment when we are playing someone of note.  And we dont have an entertaining brand of basketball to begin with.  Its not that beating La Tech by 30 is a bad thing, it was expected.   Its just Arkansas fans are used to us winning that game 100-70 instead of 80-50...

doesnt the 50 make up for not getting 100?  nolan's teams traditionally would let cupcakes score 60s and 70s, whereas we held s. illinois, wva, marist, etc, in the 50s...

so because we are stronger on 'd' we are "boring"?  did i miss something? 

(p.s. - stans teams have scored 100, or 90 even more than nolans taems in that same time)

WilsonHog

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 05:33:08 pm

admittedly, there is better entertainment when we are playing someone of note.  And we dont have an entertaining brand of basketball to begin with.  Its not that beating La Tech by 30 is a bad thing, it was expected.   Its just Arkansas fans are used to us winning that game 100-70 instead of 80-50...

doesnt the 50 make up for not getting 100?  nolan's teams traditionally would let cupcakes score 60s and 70s, whereas we held s. illinois, wva, marist, etc, in the 50s...

(p.s. - stans teams have scored 100, or 90 even more than nolans taems in that same time)

Fortunately for me I can be dispassionate about this.

I grew up on Eddie Sutton basketball. "Discipline, dedication, and defense." As a result I HATED Nolan Richardson basketball for about the first five years he was there. To be more precise, I hated it until Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, and Todd Day showed up and we started winning 30 games a season and going to the Final Four.

Most of our fans grew up on Nolan Richardson's style, so for many of them there is no other style. Period.

As for me, I'm all for it.............just as soon as I see that Heath IS giving us what Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson did. Until then, I don't much care.     

chiefsfan

Yep, that is what I am saying.  For 17 years All Arkansas fans knew was 40 minutes of hell...  We didnt play great defense, and so we won alot of games 100-70  or 100-80.     Now this team doesnt have near the offense, but plays better defense.   

But frankly, most fans would rather watch us win 100-70  then 80-50...because they want exciting, and alot of scoring is exciting...

HDale

I just think we play without emotion and the fans feed off the intensity of the team.
The team reflects the intensity of the coach.

We can play slow but still play with emotion.

Eddie Sutton's teams played slow but with heart and defense.
Nolan's teams played fast, with a ton of emotion.

You can't tell if Stan or his team are winning or losing.
Maybe he should take up poker. He has the face for it.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 30, 2006, 05:38:32 pm

Fortunately for me I can be dispassionate about this.

I grew up on Eddie Sutton basketball. "Discipline, dedication, and defense." As a result I HATED Nolan Richardson basketball for about the first five years he was there. To be more precise, I hated it until Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, and Todd Day showed up and we started winning 30 games a season and going to the Final Four.

Most of our fans grew up on Nolan Richardson's style, so for many of them there is no other style. Period.

As for me, I'm all for it.............just as soon as I see that Heath IS giving us what Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson did. Until then, I don't much care.     

Great point, but, why does hogville pretend stan started coaching this team in 1995?

From '90-'95, we had 3 final fours, 4 elite 8's, 5 sweet sixteens, 2 title games, and a championship, and 4 30-win seasons.  from 85-89 and from 95-02 we had ZERO 30 win seasons.  heck, the most we've won since the UCLA title loss was 24.  TWENTY FOUR.  last year we won 22, with a whole lot of 'should have been wins' losses.  i'm amazed at the "we suck now, gloom and doom" vs "all nolan was a cake walk".  if you were used to 30 wins seasons, what did you do in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, or 2002?  give a 'seven year pass'???

were you guys happy with 'nolan ball' in 97 when we made the NIT?

what about losses?  nolan's # of losses, POST-UCLA:  13, 14, 9, 11, 15, 11 ,15
so basically once nolan lost corliss we lost over a dozen games a year. 

heath went 22-10 last year and many waned to fire him on the spot.   so why were nolan's SEVEN FINAL YEARS of low20s-12 'acceptable' seasons?

i swear, hogville has the worst hero complex of nolan ever...  we were a MEDIOCRE team for nearly the entire last half of his career, even with nba stars like joe johnson and pargo

Boarcephus

Just about sums it up for alot of people.  May have to do with who we're playing, but I don't find myself riveted to the screen or going to the games that much anymore.  I'll check my pulse once the SEC games start.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogman64

Heath's brand of ball is boring, but mainly its because we havent won with it.....i experienced both Sutton and Richardson.......and with those two extremes you can figure out , style doesnt matter its winning, then it becomes fun.. if heath can start winning 30 games a year his teams will be fun to watch........but wins over La Tech by 30 or whatever DONT CUT IT , thats just another typical Stan Heath win, nobody really cares until he actually does something..........So get to it Stan , prove you can produce as a big time basketball coach.........then you will have alot of support on this board and elsewhere in the state......

fourthcrusade

Quote from: hogman64 on December 30, 2006, 06:03:27 pm
Heath's brand of ball is boring, but mainly its because we havent won with it.....i experienced both Sutton and Richardson.......and with those two extremes you can figure out , style doesnt matter its winning, then it becomes fun.. if heath can start winning 30 games a year his teams will be fun to watch........but wins over La Tech by 30 or whatever DONT CUT IT , thats just another typical Stan Heath win, nobody really cares until he actually does something..........So get to it Stan , prove you can produce as a big time basketball coach.........then you will have alot of support on this board and elsewhere in the state......

nolan won 30 games 4 times with the may-day--> corliss palyers.   4 times in 6 years out of a total of 17 years.

whatever did hogball fans do the other 11 years of nolan when we averaged about 23-12?  how did we survive then but last year's 22-10 is a "hot seat" worth record?  whwat the double standard for?

WilsonHog

December 30, 2006, 06:06:34 pm #17 Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:09:51 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 05:57:43 pm
i swear, hogville has the worst hero complex of nolan ever...  

You could not be further from the truth.

Several of us (including some admins like me) CELEBRATED when Nolan left. Hell, I actually opened a bottle of champagne and drank a toast to his departure.

Folks think I'm hard on Nutt? Shoot, I've mellowed. I used to make it my mission every single day to get on the Pigpen and Woopig and rip Nolan. If I didn't piss one of Nolan's supporters off, I counted it as a wasted day. I can't say how many times I got banned from the old Pigpen for hammering on him.

stronguard

You won't hear me pining for the days of Nolan 4th.   I want a coach who knows basketball. Insiode, outside, and all around.  He must be a great recruiter, a masterful x's and o's coach, and have a little PT Barnum in him, in other words he has got to sell the product.  STANLEY is a good, not great recruiter (no PG's in 5 years vs diamonds in the rought like Chuck T and Beverly) STANLEY is a below average AT BEST x's and o's coach.  Quality coaches run circles around him.  And he has as much flair as Eeyore.  

The team has no doubt improved over the last 4+ years.  But the 2 most important factors in that improvement were continuity, and Ronne Brewer Jr. going fromFR. to SR.  Last years team had the talent to win more games than they did.  But the fact is when we are in a close game, we typically lose.  Coaching is worth +/- 5 wins per year, we are getting the -5 I am sure.

Oh and by the way, My personal choice for Coach of the Hogs resides at UCA.  His name is Rand Chappel and he knows how to win with defense and style.  He turned Henderson State into a winner in 2 short years, and if you check your paper you will notice that he guided UCA to a win over the Hogs nemisis, mighty Bucknell.  STANLEY must go.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hoggy Hoggerton

I am starting to like this team.  If we can keep the turnovers down, we can do well in the SEC.

Hawgon

It has gotten so bad, that I forgot there was even a game today.

501Ben

so let me get this straight...You are upset with winning by 30 points?...What would it take to get you happy, 50 or more points?

hogman64

Quote from: 501Ben on December 30, 2006, 06:23:14 pm

so let me get this straight...You are upset with winning by 30 points?...What would it take to get you happy, 50 or more points?

A solid competitive SEC season and two wins in the NCAAT would make me happy......which we havent had since 96, right???????????.. I guess thats one reason it was more entertaining to me to watch the BC and Navy game  today rather than the Hogs.......A 50 point win over a horrible La Tech  team would not make me happy, its meaningless.........

Dwight_K_Shrute

December 30, 2006, 07:02:12 pm #23 Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 07:04:06 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
Wilson you made a good point about entertainment.  But a picture is worth a thousand words.
Heathball

What Hawgball Should Be

Heathball

Hawgball

Heathball

Hawgball

Both may accomplish the same thing but which would you prefer
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgin84

Quote from: hogman64 on December 30, 2006, 06:30:40 pm

A solid competitive SEC season and two wins in the NCAAT would make me happy......which we havent had since 96, right???????????.. I guess thats one reason it was more entertaining to me to watch the BC and Navy game  today rather than the Hogs.......A 50 point win over a horrible La Tech  team would not make me happy, its meaningless.........

I did the same hogman64. I watched the football game. I don't like the style of play very much, but I'm sure it will grow on me with some significant wins and NCAA success.

Ross U (HDHF)

We were spoiled by Nolan in the early-mid 90's.  I do agree that Heath's style is bland, but he's winning games right now.  If he doesn't get it done in SEC play this year, I think there will be changes.  There's potential in this team, but it remains to be seen if Heath can make the proper personnel decisions and get full potential out of his players.  He's definitely on thin ice with attendance as poor as it is, but if we beat Bama next weekend, people will start coming out again.  If not, well baseball isn't too far off.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

OklaU

"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Hong Kong Sooey

It's boring, and we haven't beat anyone with a "name" yet.  Get back to me when conference play comes around...

HDale

Who said I was upset?

I like Stan, but I think that he should show some emotion. Maybe get in a players face or yell at a ref once in a while.

Maybe he could show as much emotion as his wife does.

I have never bashed Stan but if you look in the stands I would say that around 10,000 more fans are bored also.
Stan better win at least one game in March or he is gone.

AstroHawg

Most of the time beating a bad team and losing to a good team don't stir much emotion.  Now losing to a bad team and beating a good team will light this place up like a Christmas Tree.

Seconds

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 30, 2006, 07:02:12 pm
Wilson you made a good point about entertainment.  But a picture is worth a thousand words.
Heathball

What Hawgball Should Be

Heathball

Hawgball

Heathball

Hawgball

Beautifully executed and illustrated play call
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

fourthcrusade

it's a losing battle.... much of hogville doesnt personally root for the hogs, in fact they root against heath, and belittle people for supporting them

my signature, and multiple posts were erased becaused i listed FACTS supporting the hogs and said "why can't we be happy", and i was threatened with banning because "you are here at the pleasure of the mods" was the phrase used.

so, eventually RAZORBACK SUPPORTERS like me give up trying to talk about the hoop hogs

but, then the lack of posts leads people to scream "NO ONE CARES ANYMORE, HOGBALL MUST BE DEAD"

It's a vicious cycle started by the 15-year olds on here, and it's really a joke.  I hope the alabama game has 20,000 people there.  some posters need to grow up.

Negative minds never praise heath --> supporters opinions' squashed --> supporters stop posting --> negatives see lack of posts and say "NO ONE CARES"

nobody wins.

Seconds

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 07:17:30 pm
it's a losing battle.... much of hogville doesnt personally root for the hogs, in fact they root against heath, and belittle people for supporting them

my signature, and multiple posts were erased becaused i listed FACTS supporting the hogs and said "why can't we be happy", and i was threatened with banning because "you are here at the pleasure of the mods" was the phrase used.

so, eventually RAZORBACK SUPPORTERS like me give up trying to talk about the hoop hogs

but, then the lack of posts leads people to scream "NO ONE CARES ANYMORE, HOGBALL MUST BE DEAD"

It's a vicious cycle started by the 15-year olds on here, and it's really a joke.  I hope the alabama game has 20,000 people there.  some posters need to grow up.

Negative minds never praise heath --> supporters opinions' squashed --> supporters stop posting --> negatives see lack of posts and say "NO ONE CARES"

nobody wins.

Nice post, 4th. Nice.
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

Hong Kong Sooey

nobody wins.

BS.

fourthcrusade

Hawgball

Funny, i can't seem to find any covers from 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, or 2002... oh wait yes i can:

silvertip

Quote from: HDale on December 30, 2006, 05:41:47 pm
I just think we play without emotion and the fans feed off the intensity of the team.

Maybe you should learn to watch a basketball game, and quit worrying about whether the coach looks like you think he should.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 30, 2006, 07:20:46 pm

nobody wins.

BS.

so you mean that this board is full of huggers who praise heath?  or do they call for his head after 3rd in the whole SEC, 22-9 regular season and an NCAA berth?  what did i say that is bs

Hollywood_HOGan

i can understand why a W over La Tech wouldnt generate much interest.

If we beat Tulsa and Bama, the fire is back.

HDale

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 07:21:14 pm
Hawgball

Funny, i can't seem to find any covers from 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, or 2002... oh wait yes i can:

That is funny!
I'll bet that he was saying something about respect.
Or maybe slave ships landing in the south.
Or they can take my job if they pay me the money.

cityhog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 30, 2006, 07:15:52 pm
It's boring, and we haven't beat anyone with a "name" yet.  Get back to me when conference play comes around...

ummm. not to be disagreeable but I think W.Virginia is a name school (see UCONN today), pretty sure S. Ill will look very good come tourney time.  Not a Heath fan or a 40 minutes of snail fan, but we have beaten a name or 2.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: HDale on December 30, 2006, 07:24:19 pm
Or they can take my job if they pay me the money.

To which John white and JFB said  "OK".

silvertip

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on December 30, 2006, 07:24:10 pm
i can understand why a W over La Tech wouldnt generate much interest.

If we beat Tulsa and Bama, the fire is back.

agreed. la tech isn't something to write home about, but it ridiculous the same people who lambast us for having a chance to win @ texas with 5 seconds left are nowhere to be found after 2 solid wins...

HDale

Quote from: silvertip on December 30, 2006, 07:23:22 pm
Quote from: HDale on December 30, 2006, 05:41:47 pm

Maybe you should learn to watch a basketball game, and quit worrying about whether the coach looks like you think he should.
It's tough to watch these games lately.
I have ADD and the sound of that basketball bouncing on the hardwood in an empty gym distracts me.

onehogfan

You are right people are quicker to be negative and had we lost there woulda been fifty that said SH sux in fifty different ways.  

It is hard to get vwery passionate about the kind of basketball we play when we are playing cupcakes though. I do believe once the bowl is over and conference play starts you will see more posts on Bball.

The negative posts will see more action, for whatever reasons you want to attribute , it is a fact. I often wonder why people even call themsleves fans no more positive stuff than the say about our program, but everybody has a right to call themselves whatwever they want to call themselves.

The GOOD thing is THEY AREN"T BASHING SH today!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 07:23:35 pm

nobody wins.

BS.

so you mean that this board is full of huggers who praise heath?  or do they call for his head after 3rd in the whole SEC, 22-9 regular season and an NCAA berth?  what did i say that is bs
I mean exactly what I said in my post above.  Most people are bored and want wins over real teams.  when they come, so will the fans.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 30, 2006, 07:28:14 pm

nobody wins.

BS.

I mean exactly what I said in my post above.  Most people are bored and want wins over real teams.  when they come, so will the fans.

w. virginia, s. illinois, oru, and even marist will be in the ncaas
texas, texas tech, and mizzou will be too...    so far we are 4-3 against ncaa teams, 3-3 if marist is upset in their conference tourney.  just because the 3 losses are against the names everyone here grew up with, people think we are paper tigers.  but i see your point, i'm just saying, this ain't the 2004 squad.. we HAVE beaten some teams.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: cityhog on December 30, 2006, 07:24:46 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 30, 2006, 07:15:52 pm

ummm. not to be disagreeable but I think W.Virginia is a name school (see UCONN today), pretty sure S. Ill will look very good come tourney time.  Not a Heath fan or a 40 minutes of snail fan, but we have beaten a name or 2.
What had they done at the time?  I agree, some of our wins will look pretty good come tourney time.  But guess what.  Joe Hog Fan doesn't know that. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 30, 2006, 07:30:17 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 30, 2006, 07:28:14 pm

nobody wins.

BS.

w. virginia, s. illinois, oru, and even marist will be in the ncaas
texas, texas tech, and mizzou will be too...    so far we are 4-3 against ncaa teams, 3-3 if marist is upset in their conference tourney.  just because the 3 losses are against the names everyone here grew up with, people think we are paper tigers.  but i see your point, i'm just saying, this ain't the 2004 squad.. we HAVE beaten some teams.
See my last post.  Get back to me when Joe Hog Fan gets edumacated about mid majors.