Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Im starting to think maybe Nolan knew something....

Started by Sigma Alpha Epsilon, December 17, 2006, 01:30:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

The way things look right now, I'm starting to fully believe that Nolan was right all along.Not denying his rudeness, his lack of professionalism in his interviews or his full on cumudgeon status but just look what is going on with our basketball program, JFB pushing and pushing to have his hand in that with the forced coaching hires. The football program..... you all know that one. I can't possibly imagine how awful it was for him to be around with the down season's he was having. I don't think it's farfetched at all to think that people were tinkering with his foundation. We had Iguadola coming, possibly Okufor, Modica, and lot's of other talent. I can't fathom what Nolan would have been able to do with the lineup we had last year. Not to mention what kind of player he could have made Ronnie. There is something seriously wrong with a program when players leave with the same skill level they came with. (Ronnie) There is just no development anymore..... Oh I forgot Famutimi. What a waste... You've gotta have balls and brains to coach in the SEC. Heath has neither. I guess it shines light on the powers above when we hand our historical 90's b ball program to a junior high coach who woke up in the elite 8.

This will be a LONG LONG year, but I am confident Heath will be demoted to assistant coaching again....

Hawgbuster

lol what about the teams from '99 to '03...  didn't look too promising!   After all, Nolan did recruit Larry Satchell, enough said!

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Quote from: Hawgbuster on December 17, 2006, 01:38:23 pm
lol what about the teams from '99 to '03...  didn't look too promising!   After all, Nolan did recruit Larry Satchell, enough said!

Say what you want but even in Nolan's down years AT LEAST the games were enjoyable to watch. You can't compare a heath game to a Nolan game with Dean, Gibson, Johnson, even Pargo. Those game were amazing. And at least we won the SEC tourni and had respect. All we are now is a sub par program that can't fill their goliath arena.

jamie72921

Nolan was burned out. I loved him though, but he needed a sabatical, at the very least.

He was right though when he said that the reason we had a program was because of him. I know that made a lot of "fans" mad, but if you look at it objectively, the fans don't come at all unless the team is exceptional anymore. That's not the way it is when you have a real program.

We still have the fans, we still have the facilities, but we don't have a winner. The only difference is the coach at this point. 5 years is more than enough time to have rebuilt a basketball program.

Nolan came in under the exact same circumstances, only worse when he got here. A bare cupboard, the kids that were here weren't suited to for his style, and there was a tremendous drug problem with some of the guys that were left.

5 years after taking over, UA had been to the postseason 4 times (1 NIT, 3 NCAA's) and made the final four in his fifth season with less tradition and lesser facilities than we have today.

The precedent has been set, however it hasn't been met.
Bless your heart

dhornjr1

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 01:30:38 pm
The way things look right now, I'm starting to fully believe that Nolan was right all along.Not denying his rudeness, his lack of professionalism in his interviews or his full on cumudgeon status but just look what is going on with our basketball program, JFB pushing and pushing to have his hand in that with the forced coaching hires. The football program..... you all know that one. I can't possibly imagine how awful it was for him to be around with the down season's he was having. I don't think it's farfetched at all to think that people were tinkering with his foundation. We had Iguadola coming, possibly Okufor, Modica, and lot's of other talent. I can't fathom what Nolan would have been able to do with the lineup we had last year. Not to mention what kind of player he could have made Ronnie. There is something seriously wrong with a program when players leave with the same skill level they came with. (Ronnie) There is just no development anymore..... Oh I forgot Famutimi. What a waste... You've gotta have balls and brains to coach in the SEC. Heath has neither. I guess it shines light on the powers above when we hand our historical 90's b ball program to a junior high coach who woke up in the elite 8.

This will be a LONG LONG year, but I am confident Heath will be demoted to assistant coaching again....

Nolan would have taken the players Heath had last year and won the SEC regular season title and possibly made the Final Four. The team this year under Nolan would be at least a Sweet 16 team.

Unfortunately, Nolan was having difficulty in recruiting the last three or four years he was there. He couldn't have recruited them, but he sure as hell could have turned them into a juggernaut.

arcowboy

I did not like Nolan's attitude at the end.  I can guarantee you though that if they were to fire Stan Heath next week and bring Nolan back , you would not be able to get into BW arena. Know it isn't going to happen but the fans are so tired of this conservative playing in BB and FB that they would come out in great numbers to watch something exciting again and would forget all about Nolan's past.

cityhog

I respectfully disagree w/ some of the posters on this thread.  One of the big gripes w/ Nolan was that he didn't "develop" players and they left no better than they arrived.  Another gripe was he couldn't recruit the quality big man.  Also his last years may have been "fun" to watch, but I wanted to pull my hair out every time we were on defense.  Our idea of defense those last few years was to foul the team on offense as oppossed to actually playing D.  made me nuts.  He was a teacher of the hand check and thanks to our domination in the early 90's the rules were changed about hand checking and Nolan NEVER adapted.

WilsonHog

"I believe this. I really believe that Arkansas fans were blessed to have me come over here and win a National Championship for them. Kids don't come to the University of Arkansas. They come to play for me. Me. Sure, we've got a gym and we've got some fans, but everyone has that. I really hope that when I leave here the next coach will be able to come in and say, 'Hey, Ive got a gym, I've got some fans, come play here.' I'll be suprised if he can though. Super suprised."

This is the gist of some comments Nolan made at a press conference in the winter of 1996. I despised him for saying these things at the time, but now they strike me as strangely prophetic."     

Brutalis

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 17, 2006, 02:10:09 pm
Nolan was burned out. I loved him though, but he needed a sabatical, at the very least.

He was right though when he said that the reason we had a program was because of him. I know that made a lot of "fans" mad, but if you look at it objectively, the fans don't come at all unless the team is exceptional anymore. That's not the way it is when you have a real program.

We still have the fans, we still have the facilities, but we don't have a winner. The only difference is the coach at this point. 5 years is more than enough time to have rebuilt a basketball program.

Nolan came in under the exact same circumstances, only worse when he got here. A bare cupboard, the kids that were here weren't suited to for his style, and there was a tremendous drug problem with some of the guys that were left.

5 years after taking over, UA had been to the postseason 4 times (1 NIT, 3 NCAA's) and made the final four in his fifth season with less tradition and lesser facilities than we have today.

The precedent has been set, however it hasn't been met.

I pretty much agree.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

TheMediocreEra

Brewer wouldn't have been here if Nolan stayed... he refused to recruit him.

Brutalis

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2006, 04:34:26 pmThis is the gist of some comments Nolan made at a press conference in the winter of 1996. I despised him for saying these things at the time, but now they strike me as strangely prophetic."     

Yeah but how many other schools are the same way? That's how it is in college sports for the most part.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

Tusks

Brewer was NOT going to play for Nolan regardless of how Nolan did or did not recruit him.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 04:44:31 pm
Brewer was NOT going to play for Nolan regardless of how Nolan did or did not recruit him.

That's all here say and hypothetical. Nolan's recruiting did not go down hill. He had a few down years throughout the stretch but like I said before we HAD iguadola and possibly Okufor not to mention Joe Johnson. And the big man comment is TOTALLY irrelavent. We don't need big men and big men obviously do not mean success. See Steven Hill, Townes, our lineup the past 5 years. If you say big men= rebounds well see our stats. Also remember who is the ALL TIME LEADING rebounder for the Hogs. Nolan owes this town, this state and this university nothing because he gave us everything. Him winning the title in 94 was WORLDS bigger than JFB's and it completally changed the our athletic department in and out. If you argue that then you're just a pathetic old timer.

Regarding the statements about players not improving... See Al Dillard. One of my favorite hogs.

Also on a ranting tangent, it's just mind boggling to me that Steven Hill grabbed ZERO, I repeat ZERO rebounds in 17 minutes yesturday. Heath is just pathetic...

Also, did anyone else catch Gary Ervin's quotes in the paper this morning, he all but said if he was the coach he would have pulled himself. WHY ON EARTH DID HE PLAY 37 minutes? I appreciate Ervin's honesty but has Stan ever even heard of adjustment? We do not need a pure, definition point guard. Stan is so desperate for this that he forgets we get out-rebounded almost every game. The triplets didn't have one and well just look at their record..

Oliverhogman

I would have took the years with Igoudala over the years with Brewer any day.   

Tusks

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 04:59:23 pm
Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 04:44:31 pm

That's all here say and hypothetical. Nolan's recruiting did not go down hill. He had a few down years throughout the stretch but like I said before we HAD iguadola and possibly Okufor not to mention Joe Johnson. And the big man comment is TOTALLY irrelavent. We don't need big men and big men obviously do not mean success. See Steven Hill, Townes, our lineup the past 5 years. If you say big men= rebounds well see our stats. Also remember who is the ALL TIME LEADING rebounder for the Hogs. Nolan owes this town, this state and this university nothing because he gave us everything. Him winning the title in 94 was WORLDS bigger than JFB's and it completally changed the our athletic department in and out. If you argue that then you're just a pathetic old timer.

Regarding the statements about players not improving... See Al Dillard. One of my favorite hogs.

Also on a ranting tangent, it's just mind boggling to me that Steven Hill grabbed ZERO, I repeat ZERO rebounds in 17 minutes yesturday. Heath is just pathetic...

Also, did anyone else catch Gary Ervin's quotes in the paper this morning, he all but said if he was the coach he would have pulled himself. WHY ON EARTH DID HE PLAY 37 minutes? I appreciate Ervin's honesty but has Stan ever even heard of adjustment? We do not need a pure, definition point guard. Stan is so desperate for this that he forgets we get out-rebounded almost every game. The triplets didn't have one and well just look at their record..

No that's not hearsay and I'm not debating Nolan's recruiting......and if you ask for a source I'll PM you with spam.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

I honestly would like a source. I saw Nolan at more than one FHS games considering I am an alumn.

hogs25

Nolan's winning percentages were sick.  It's unbelievable when you look at the numbers of each wins per season.  I have never missed one single play of BB until this year.  It's so hard to watch it's depressing. 

OKhogfan1959

I have to say I have had to rethink my feelings about Nolan..I think I owe the man an apology..Nolan never waffled on anything he said..I think he always talked from the heart..I disagree with him attacking all people..But I wonder just how much Frank messed with Nolan because Nolan wouldn't bow down to the great JFB.

dahmer

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2006, 04:34:26 pm
"I believe this. I really believe that Arkansas fans were blessed to have me come over here and win a National Championship for them. Kids don't come to the University of Arkansas. They come to play for me. Me. Sure, we've got a gym and we've got some fans, but everyone has that. I really hope that when I leave here the next coach will be able to come in and say, 'Hey, Ive got a gym, I've got some fans, come play here.' I'll be suprised if he can though. Super suprised."

This is the gist of some comments Nolan made at a press conference in the winter of 1996. I despised him for saying these things at the time, but now they strike me as strangely prophetic."     

You can say whatever you want when your winning.  Didnt he make that,"I didnt come over on that ship" comment while he was still winning?  Aw shucks, that nolan sure is a character.  Get a few losing seasons and ppl start nit picking true statements, ever how much the truth hurts.

Inner city kids coming to Fayetteville to play ball and go to school.  Not much motivation to do that unless you have a good program w/ lots of TV w/ a high profile coach.

How many active BB coaches have won a national championship?  How many schools are eligible to play their way into the tourny? 
More stupid photoshop pix of Dale!

Tusks

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 05:12:22 pm
I honestly would like a source. I saw Nolan at more than one FHS games considering I am an alum.

Dude you're mixing two different things.  Ronnie wasn't going to play for Nolan, period end of subject.  The BS about how Nolan recruited him had nothing to do with it.  There were other reasons.  Since you're an esteemed Purple Dog alum then next time you're hanging with Jr....ask him.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth....lol.

Tusks

Quote from: dahmer on December 17, 2006, 05:26:10 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2006, 04:34:26 pm

You can say whatever you want when your winning.  Didnt he make that,"I didnt come over on that ship" comment while he was still winning?  Aw shucks, that nolan sure is a character.  Get a few losing seasons and ppl start nit picking true statements, ever how much the truth hurts.

Inner city kids coming to Fayetteville to play ball and go to school.  Not much motivation to do that unless you have a good program w/ lots of TV w/ a high profile coach.

How many active BB coaches have won a national championship?  How many schools are eligible to play their way into the tourny? 

If Nolan had an ounce of sense in that thick skull of his, then he'd be sitting behind the bench watching Anderson coach the Hogs.  There'd be a statue of him outside the arena, just like Musial in St. Louis.  He'd be patted on the back from the consession stand to his seat.  He'd be tired after signing autographs all night trying to leave the BWA. 

But noooooooooo, he had to let it get the best of him.  His first and biggest mistake was to think he'd be made the AD of the entire athletic department.  That wasn't going to happen ever, even if JFB died after a hole in one on #12 at Augusta, which is how I'd like to go by the way.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 05:26:59 pm
I honestly would like a source. I saw Nolan at more than one FHS games considering I am an alum.

Dude you're mixing two different things.  Ronnie wasn't going to play for Nolan, period end of subject.  The BS about how Nolan recruited him had nothing to do with it.  There were other reasons.  Since you're an esteemed Purple Dog alum then next time you're hanging with Jr....ask him.

No I don't, all your saying is he wouldn't have played for Nolan? I'm not esteemed, I'm just giving you truthful facts that he in fact DID attend FHS games, and it it certainly wasn't to recruit Wallace Spearman.

hogs25

After Nolan's first 2 seasons, he never lost more than 9 games a season until 95-96 (20-13)

85-86 12-16
86-87 19-14
87-88 21-9
88-89 25-7
90-91 34-4
91-92 26-8
92-93 22-9
93-94 31-3
94-95 32-7
The infamous cloud that turned out false or NG with Nolan
95-96 20-13
96-97 18-14
97-98 24-9
98-99 23-11
99-00 19-15
00-01 20-11
01-02 13-14

Another bad move by the UA.  I know what he said wasn't right after the KY game but g% we play like a bunch of school girls with no clue on offense.  It ain't working and for that matter, it will never work.  Cut the rope and less move on.  Get Mike Anderson back here. 

bville_hog

The only thing Nolan was wrong about, was him thinking it was a race issue.  As someone stated earlier, it was because he wouldn't bow down to Frank.  Nutt was treated better because he would.

Tusks

Quote from: bville_hog on December 17, 2006, 05:35:50 pm
The only thing Nolan was wrong about, was him thinking it was a race issue.  As someone stated earlier, it was because he wouldn't bow down to Frank.  Nutt was treated better because he would.

HDN IS treated better because he DOES.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

[/quote]

If Nolan had an ounce of sense in that thick skull of his, then he'd be sitting behind the bench watching Anderson coach the Hogs.  There'd be a statue of him outside the arena, just like Musial in St. Louis.  He'd be patted on the back from the consession stand to his seat.  He'd be tired after signing autographs all night trying to leave the BWA. 

But noooooooooo, he had to let it get the best of him.  His first and biggest mistake was to think he'd be made the AD of the entire athletic department.  That wasn't going to happen ever, even if JFB died after a hole in one on #12 at Augusta, which is how I'd like to go by the way.
[/quote]

I see exactly what kind of person you are and me and you will argue forever. Who are you to say that you're little statue fantasy is what Nolan wanted or was best for him? I don't think he gave a darn, he's a small town guy who lives on a farm. He's not extravagant and by no means pranced around town when he was winning. He keeps to himself and he's very intelligent. His record seals his legacy, statue or not. He went out the way he wanted to and that was speaking out against things that were going on. He maybe got excited or out of line at times, but he is human and I love him.

Tusks

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 05:34:37 pm
Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 05:26:59 pm

No I don't, all your saying is he wouldn't have played for Nolan? I'm not esteemed, I'm just giving you truthful facts that he in fact DID attend FHS games, and it it certainly wasn't to recruit Wallace Spearman.

I am not saying Nolan never went to see Ronnie play....OK....I'm not saying that....I'm saying that Nolan could of come to every game and every practice and Ronnie wasn't going to play for him.  I'll give you a hint of how I know....if you can't ask Jr. about it ask Sr.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Okay I will take your word for it, but that really changes nothing in this discussion. Nolan was gone before signing day so it really doesn't matter.

3kgthog

Even in Nolan's semi-down years we were still getting to the NCAAT and losing in the first round every year. Stan Heath's only been there one time with us and he lost. Now most of his best team is gone.

We've seen the ceiling for a Stan Heath team and it's the first round. Time to cut our losses and find someone else.

r-neezy

December 17, 2006, 05:55:57 pm #29 Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:01:23 pm by r-neezy
Quote from: hogs25 on December 17, 2006, 05:35:37 pm
After Nolan's first 2 seasons, he never lost more than 9 games a season until 95-96 (20-13)

85-86 12-16
86-87 19-14
87-88 21-9
88-89 25-7
90-91 34-4
91-92 26-8
92-93 22-9
93-94 31-3
94-95 32-7
95-96 20-13
96-97 18-14
97-98 24-9
98-99 23-11
99-00 19-15
00-01 20-11
01-02 13-14

Another bad move by the UA.  I know what he said wasn't right after the KY game but g% we play like a bunch of school girls with no clue on offense.  It ain't working and for that matter, it will never work.  Cut the rope and less move on.  Get Mike Anderson back here. 
People are always complaining about Nolan's recruiting. But the one thing that I do notice is that Arkansas only had 2 losing seasons, which was his first and last season.  Aslo, we wouldnt have Bud Walton Arena if it were not for Nolan. He made the program so big that we had to build a new arena. He is part of the reason that we can brag to all the recruits about our facilities.  If the Razorbacks were to go back to playing in Barnhill, there would still be 2000 empty seats. And all this debate about whether or not Nolan would have recruited Ronnie Brewer means nothing.  Brewer does not even compare to all the greats that Nolan has brought in over the years (Mayberry, Day, Thurman, Williamson, Johnson -to name a few). Ronnie could not hold a candle to those guys, and that's REAL TALK.

Tusks

The only problem is that Mike may not want to come to the UA.  Now I'm not for keeping Heath because Mike may not come, unlike the huggers with HDN....keep him because no one else may want to job....but Mike has a pretty good gig at UM and since he was stiffed by the white haired debil then he might not be in a hurry to coach the Hogs if ever.

Wouldn't it be cool if TDP, Mike Anderson and Butch Davis w/Gus all showed up on campus at the same time.

Hey I can dream.

idochog

I dont think Mike sees Fayetteville b/c of who follows him (Nolan)
I love Jesus!

Albert Einswine

You're wrong about Emeka Okafor.   He was recruited in 2000 and chose UConn over us.   He was a freshman at UConn in 2001.

Nolan lasted through 2002.  He didn't close the deal on Okafor.   Igadoula was in the bag,  but according to people in the know at the time,  he never actively recruited Ronnie Brewer and by many accounts had never even been to Fayetteville High to watch him play.

Nolan was a great coach in his prime but he wasn't much his last 5 years.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jchill

Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 06:04:06 pm
The only problem is that Mike may not want to come to the UA.  Now I'm not for keeping Heath because Mike may not come, unlike the huggers with HDN....keep him because no one else may want to job....but Mike has a pretty good gig at UM and since he was stiffed by the white haired debil then he might not be in a hurry to coach the Hogs if ever.

Wouldn't it be cool if TDP, Mike Anderson and Butch Davis w/Gus all showed up on campus at the same time.

Hey I can dream.

Who's TDP?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jchill on December 17, 2006, 06:18:14 pm
Quote from: nutted on December 17, 2006, 06:04:06 pm

Hey I can dream.

Who's TDP?

Terry Don Phillips.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 17, 2006, 06:16:23 pm
You're wrong about Emeka Okafor.   He was recruited in 2000 and chose UConn over us.   He was a freshman at UConn in 2001.

Nolan lasted through 2002.  He didn't close the deal on Okafor.   Igadoula was in the bag,  but according to people in the know at the time,  he never actively recruited Ronnie Brewer and by many accounts had never even been to Fayetteville High to watch him play.

Nolan was a great coach in his prime but he wasn't much his last 5 years.
Nostalgia can be a dangerous thing Albert. We remember what we want, and conveniently forget what we don't want. Mike Anderson was the coach the last two years at least. Nolan rarely even got up off the bench during a game. Nolan was great, but he got lazy then he got hateful.  Not sure I wouldn't as well, but let's not rewrite history because we are po'd at Stan. One thing for sure, Stan CAN recruit, many in here have said how well Nolan could do with this bunch. Give Stan till the end of the season. If we do not go to the dance and at least show up for the game, then I say he needs to go.

I do hope that someday after Frank goes to the BC in the sky, we can come to peace with Nolan. He was a great coach and should have his rightful place in Hog history.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

cityhog

And the big man comment is TOTALLY irrelavent. We don't need big men and big men obviously do not mean success.

B.....S......  The years that Nolan took teams to the FF we had GREAT Big men, and they WERE a factor.  See Big O, and Darnell Robinson.  They made a difference.  And that is not just an old timer ranting.  The years we didn't have big men, we didn't do squat in the tourney.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: cityhog on December 17, 2006, 06:50:07 pm
And the big man comment is TOTALLY irrelavent. We don't need big men and big men obviously do not mean success.

B.....S......  The years that Nolan took teams to the FF we had GREAT Big men, and they WERE a factor.  See Big O, and Darnell Robinson.  They made a difference.  And that is not just an old timer ranting.  The years we didn't have big men, we didn't do squat in the tourney.
This goes along with another fallacy. "We don't need a half court game". The year we won the NC we were awesome in the halfcourt offense. Look at the teams that win year in and year out, and the ones that cut the nets down are the ones who can score from set offenses. Yes you do need to be able to run out a fastbreak, but Duke did not win all it's NC's with streetball. Nolan had the ability to coach both, and that is why he won the NC.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

cityhog

Quote from: PorcineSublime on December 17, 2006, 06:57:12 pm

This goes along with another fallacy. "We don't need a half court game". The year we won the NC we were awesome in the halfcourt offense. Look at the teams that win year in and year out, and the ones that cut the nets down are the ones who can score from set offenses. Yes you do need to be able to run out a fastbreak, but Duke did not win all it's NC's with streetball. Nolan had the ability to coach both, and that is why he won the NC.

Exactly right!

WhenPigsFly

Nolan not getting Okafor made for a huge change in Hog basketball history, I believe.  He would have had Okafor, Igadoula, Sullinger, as a pretty good nucleus for a team, and would never had been fired, because he would have been WINNING!  Nolan would probably still have been here or have turned it over to Anderson.

Temprees

Quote from: cityhog on December 17, 2006, 04:26:51 pm
I respectfully disagree w/ some of the posters on this thread.  One of the big gripes w/ Nolan was that he didn't "develop" players and they left no better than they arrived.  Another gripe was he couldn't recruit the quality big man.  Also his last years may have been "fun" to watch, but I wanted to pull my hair out every time we were on defense.  Our idea of defense those last few years was to foul the team on offense as oppossed to actually playing D.  made me nuts.  He was a teacher of the hand check and thanks to our domination in the early 90's the rules were changed about hand checking and Nolan NEVER adapted.
You are wrong.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Im just saying it's not the end all be all in our recruiting. You CANNOT call corliss a big man. He is a huge exception and is in a class of his own. Someone said Nolan quite getting solid big men, which is false. He got Derek Hood who was one of the best hogs ever and don't forget Jason Jennings who left but still made the NBA. He was also working with Okufor. Big men are very important but you can still have tons of success with a core line up like last years.

I don't think talent was ever a REAL issue with Nolan's teams but I won't deny the fact that he got lazy. But even in his laziness we were winning and things were exciting. The last year was terrible but who the hell knows what was going on behind closed doors. Something set off Nolan's fuse and it showed that year....

cityhog

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 10:55:16 pm

Im just saying it's not the end all be all in our recruiting. You CANNOT call corliss a big man. He is a huge exception and is in a class of his own. Someone said Nolan quite getting solid big men, which is false. He got Derek Hood who was one of the best hogs ever and don't forget Jason Jennings who left but still made the NBA. He was also working with Okufor. Big men are very important but you can still have tons of success with a core line up like last years.

I don't think talent was ever a REAL issue with Nolan's teams but I won't deny the fact that he got lazy. But even in his laziness we were winning and things were exciting. The last year was terrible but who the hell knows what was going on behind closed doors. Something set off Nolan's fuse and it showed that year....

I didn't consider Corliss a big man.  He was a PF on a team that had a very good big man in Darnell Robinson.  Sweet 16 before Darnell, NC and runner-up w/ Darnell.

cityhog

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2006, 10:48:02 pm
You are wrong.

We must have been sitting in different sections of BWA, because that's what I, and those around me saw and commented on.

cityhog

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2006, 10:48:02 pm
You are wrong.

And I am not wrong about the hand check rules being changed because of 40 minutes of hell.  Ask around.

dhornjr1

1990 Team

Oliver Miller 6-9 300
Mario Credit 6-9 245
Lenzie Howell 6-5 220 Not really a big guy but had a great post game for his size.

1994 Team

Corliss Williamson 6-7 245
Darnell Robinson 6-11 260
Lee Wilson 6-11 250
Dwight Stewart 6-9 260

Yep, you're right.

dhornjr1

QuoteSomething set off Nolan's fuse and it showed that year....

That something would be Frank Broyles.

superjw

Quote from: r-neezy on December 17, 2006, 05:55:57 pm
Quote from: hogs25 on December 17, 2006, 05:35:37 pm

85-86 12-16
86-87 19-14
87-88 21-9
88-89 25-7
90-91 34-4
91-92 26-8
92-93 22-9
93-94 31-3
94-95 32-7
95-96 20-13
96-97 18-14
97-98 24-9
98-99 23-11
99-00 19-15
00-01 20-11
01-02 13-14

People are always complaining about Nolan's recruiting. But the one thing that I do notice is that Arkansas only had 2 losing seasons, which was his first and last season.  Aslo, we wouldnt have Bud Walton Arena if it were not for Nolan. He made the program so big that we had to build a new arena. He is part of the reason that we can brag to all the recruits about our facilities.  If the Razorbacks were to go back to playing in Barnhill, there would still be 2000 empty seats. And all this debate about whether or not Nolan would have recruited Ronnie Brewer means nothing.  Brewer does not even compare to all the greats that Nolan has brought in over the years (Mayberry, Day, Thurman, Williamson, Johnson -to name a few). Ronnie could not hold a candle to those guys, and that's REAL TALK.
hmmmm - good way to look at it
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

rlamb

Heath's team should named the ZombieHogs.  Arms outstretched a little, plodding, no game plan or meaning, just wobbling along and taking up space!!!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Sigma Alpha Epsilon on December 17, 2006, 10:55:16 pm

He WHIFFED on Okafor!  Do you not understand this?   Get it through your skull that Okafor signed with UConn a year before Nolan was canned.