Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A double standard ?

Started by mikeirwin, December 12, 2006, 09:59:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

JFB has told Stan Heath to play a more uptempo offense. The fans like it better Broyles says.  The thing is, that's not what this team is best suited for. In their only real uptempo game they got slaughtered by Missouri. Anyone who has watched the early schedule can see that the Hogs have played best in a patterend half court offense.
Now look at Football. We are told that letting Gus run his offense is not what this team does best. They will run the ball 80%, pass 20% with the idea that if you have D-Mac and Felix you have to put the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The bottom line, the AD lets the football coach run the offense he thinks is best suited for winning. But he tells the basketball coach to run an offense that is not the best fit for the talent Heath has.

RootnShoot

I don't think that is the bottom line. There seems to be many differences in the coaches, programs, and variables of what we don't know.
There are more important things.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 09:59:58 am
JFB has told Stan Heath to play a more uptempo offense. The fans like it better Broyles says.  The thing is, that's not what this team is best suited for. In their only real uptempo game they got slaughtered by Missouri. Anyone who has watched the early schedule can see that the Hogs have played best in a patterend half court offense.
Now look at Football. We are told that letting Gus run his offense is not what this team does best. They will run the ball 80%, pass 20% with the idea that if you have D-Mac and Felix you have to put the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The bottom line, the AD lets the football coach run the offense he thinks is best suited for winning. But he tells the basketball coach to run an offense that is not the best fit for the talent Heath has.

Nice try, Mike, but it's not that simple and you know it. 

Swynler Durden

JFB also wouldn't say anything about SH and his job performance during the season as he "doesn't do that" until after the season's end. Even though he boldly told us all that HDN is the man for the job right on the heels of losing to Vandy at home.

HogHillbilly

I'm starting to believe that JFB is the REAL problem in football and basketball...............Get rid of him and let's see how Nutt and Heath do................I would be willing to wait another year with them out from under JFBs thumb...........If they still can't cut it...........Get rid of them
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Puerco Diablo

That's the difference between "football analysis" and "basketball analysis"

WetSnout

Bottom line:  JFB tells Heath after three seasons of steady (if boring) improvement to show him a master-plan for his team going forward, or else.  After 9 seasons of diminishing returns, JFB tells Nutt to hire an offensive coordinator with a philosophy that JFB now claims is incompatible with college football?  Curioser and curioser . . .

dudelove

I think the basketball can run.  For big guys, Townes, Hunter, and even Hill can run the floor EXTREMELY well.  Weems, Welsh, Ervin, Charles Thomas, Beverly etc can all get down the floor in a hurry too.  I think Michael Washington will be dynamite in an up tempo setting.

It is probably a double standard, BUT- Razorback fans are use to seeing the 40 minutes of hell and this halfcourt stuff is sort of boring now.  I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying this may be why.

arthurhawgerelli

Nolan was right.

H.E. Pennypacker

I think that if RRS was drawing 1/4 capacity then Frank would have had that same conversation with Houston.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on December 12, 2006, 10:08:13 am

Nolan was right.

I'm starting to wonder................I know Nolen had an agenda............But.................
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

HogFan1973

Maybe the fact that Broyles is STILL here well into his late years should tell us all that it is TIME FOR HIM TO MOVE ON.  

WILL CLINTON

Nolan was right.

ding, ding, ding....We have a winner. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Pissed Pig

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:04:07 am

No really, it's that simple.

Hogvious

Quote from: A.E. Pennyporker on December 12, 2006, 10:08:41 am

I think that if RRS was drawing 1/4 capacity then Frank would have had that same conversation with Houston.
Though I believe there is truth to this statement, the underlying factor, IMO is that Stan has yet to win an NCAA tournament game, and the excitement isn't there yet.  Uptempo ball by itself won't put butts in the seats.  You have to win first and foremost.
  Nolan was right.

mikeirwin

Nice try but it IS that simple and you know it.
JFB has his hands all over that basketball pogram and even though they are winning for the last two years now Heath is being told how to coach.
JFB basically leaves Nutt alone.

Mr. Prozac

Meddling, meddling, and more meddling...It's been his MO for years. JFB has done some truly great things for the University, but he has also hamstrung the teams at times--especially football. I have begun to wonder how much HDN is blamed for things that ultimately come from JFB. How much of HDN's "obsession" with the run is due to JFB? The reported meeting over the weekend with players parents is just the most recent example--if some of the comments attributed to him are correct, then I question his judgement.

My grandfather is 90. I love him and he's a good man. But he doesn't make decisions like he did when he was 60, or 65, or even 70. He hasn't completely lost it, but he says things he wouldn't have said 20 years ago and his decision-making is not as sound...and I dang sure wouldn't let him drive in Dallas-Ft. Worth anymore (or run a major corporation).

JFB has a heck of a legacy, but I fear he will stay in power just long enough to tarnish it. Now I obviously don't know whether he has lost a step or two or not, but one has to wonder.

Pork Twain

December 12, 2006, 10:14:24 am #17 Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:16:34 am by BeoPig
Who says Nutt is not getting his marching orders from JFB.  I forgot who said it yesterday but Nutt was a passing guy before he got here and JFB beat him down.  Now he has been running JFB's offense since Clint left.  Coincidence???  Maybe JFB leaves Nutt alone because he is doing what he is told and Nolan wouldn't and Stan is fighting it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

uptownhog

JFB is preaching his beliefs in Football.  In basketball he is just looking for ways to put butts in the seats.

GolfHawg

Don't everybody start being or getting Naive. JFB is a HUGE problem for Hogs sports but don't think for a minute that HDN is not a problem. Get rid of both and then see how well we do is my vote.

Big Papa Satan

Stan wasn't left with a cupboard full of talent like Houston was.

People need to realize that the problem doesn't end with Nutt, it leads all the way to Frank's desk.

dudelove

Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 10:13:18 am

JFB has his hands all over that basketball pogram and even though they are winning for the last two years now Heath is being told how to coach.

Some of that may be Nutt's popularity too.  Despite the folks on message boards, Nutt is pretty well received among Hog fans- especially since we posted his first 10 win season and won the SEC West outright.  Heath doesn't have the same following Nutt does.  And it may be that Broyles is trying Heath off for some reason. Who knows?

Porkahontas

Nolan was right.

My sentiments exactly.

There's a double standard going on at Fayetteville. Nutt has two horrible seasons and gets to keep the status quo going while Heath shows continued improvement and Broyles tells him to change things up.

Pig Power

Quote from: uptownhog on December 12, 2006, 10:14:29 am
JFB is preaching his beliefs in Football.  In basketball he is just looking for ways to put butts in the seats.
That's the deal.... Show Frank the d@mn money...

Biggus Piggus

The run pass mix was a little more than 60/40 this year, not Broyles's favored 80/20 that he did almost his whole career as a coach.

The Hogs didn't get slaughtered by Mizzou because they couldn't run.  They got hammered because they couldn't handle the ball in the halfcourt nor defend the perimeter.  Not in that game.  Mike Anderson rushed Heath through all his favored player rotations till he couldn't use them anymore (due to foul trouble and fatigue), then the Tigers dismantled the units that were on the floor after that.  Second half of both halves.  You look back throughout Heath's career at Arkansas.  Opponents that did that to him always won.  If the Hogs can depend on a couple different lineups, they're fine.  If they have to go deep into the bench, they can look terrible against the weakest of opponents.  Not prepared for that.  Never prepared for that.

It still looks at though Heath is groping for what kind of team he wants to have, and his roster never seems to match what he wants very well.  The measure of Heath will be how much this team improves from December to March.  In past years (even last year) Heath abruptly changed strategic direction in midseason.  Last year it worked more than it hurt.  In the previous two years, he slowed down the tempo, and the players lost faith in him.  They despised being asked to play a style that made them look bad, because it didn't fit their skills.

The hard thing with the rosters Heath has had = the player mix has not been right.  Build the roster right, the team kinda plays itself after a while.  Heath has had a couple of players who play best if the whole team rotates around them.  But Heath doesn't have that kind of supporting cast.  The rest of the roster could benefit from a completely different, more share-the-burden style, which turns those other players into turnips.  It's always a tug of war.

It should always be defense first, then you see a Missouri game where they hit 57% from 3-pt range, which is hard to do unguarded.

Do we have a great ballhandler?  Do we have a great outside shooter?  Do we have a great rebounder?  Do we have a great man-to-man defender?  Do we have a tough guy?  What kind of basketball team has NOTA?
[CENSORED]!

Mr. Prozac

Do you think he gives HDN more autonomy because HDN does things the way he wants him to? If so, is it chicken or egg: Does HDN do things like JFB wants because it keeps JFB off his back, or do you think JFB believes in what is HDN's true offensive philosophy?..or have their offensive philosophies become one?

Since 1894

Does Stan meet with Frank once a week?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

311Hog

Quote from: Hogvious on December 12, 2006, 10:13:02 am
Quote from: A.E. Pennyporker on December 12, 2006, 10:08:41 am

Though I believe there is truth to this statement, the underlying factor, IMO is that Stan has yet to win an NCAA tournament game, and the excitement isn't there yet.  Uptempo ball by itself won't put butts in the seats.  You have to win first and foremost.

What exactly has HDN won in his 9 years here?

hOUSTon NUTT

Mike,

1.  When did JFB tell Stan to hurry it up?

2.  Was this a command or a statement that fans like it more?

3.  When in the past has Arkansas football had a fast-paced offense that the fans were used to?

4.  Was this an attack on Broyles just to make a disgruntled faction of this board have something else to talk about?

5.  How would you describe your relationship with Broyles?

6.  Do you feel that the only man to lead Arkansas to a National Championship in football has suddenly lost his ability to discern what will or will not work on a football field?

7.  Why is it you seem to report more negative than positive these days?  Surely in the midst of a great season, you'd have more positive things to say? 

8.  Who said you couldn't have an up-tempo running offense?  CBS noted that we score quickly out of our running offense, and this year we had many more BIG plays (in both the passing and running game) than we had last year.  Seems like our offense has sped up, even if we have a more conventional running game while we nurse along a couple of young quarterbacks.

9.  When was the last time you heard Malzahn complain about the offense this season?

10.  If our offense is so behind, why was Malzahn named the coordinator of the year by College Football News?

Your post was more about stirring the pot than anything else, I get that.  But an attack on Broyles in order to gain momentum from this meeting with the parents was unneccessary.  The posters on this board deserve better than mere pot-stirring from its moderators.  I think we went through that last week.  This board can be greater than it is now if we stop with some of the senseless bashing and open it up to more discussion about all topics, positive and negative.

HoggyWood

Is it kind of like the double standard on this board? You know, if you hate JFB and HDN you're super cool, but if not you are an idiot who can't see past your rose colored glasses?

David Brent

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath?  

It baffles me how something like this can be posted and the mindless minions on this board start bashing Frank Broyles without even asking where this information came from.

razor1

Here you go again. Not even close...

OKhogfan1959

I now wonder if Nolan was way more in the right than I ever thought? I really question if ole Nolan just stood up to Frank and that caused things to get out of hand..I must say I think I owe Nolan and apology..Not for sure but rethinking the whole thing..Honesty and integrity must come from the top?

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: David Brent on December 12, 2006, 10:25:16 am

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath?  

It baffles me how something like this can be posted and the mindless minions on this board start bashing Frank Broyles without even asking where this information came from.

Exactly.  Way too little accountability, which, oddly enough is the same thing they bash NUTT and JFB for...

311Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 12, 2006, 10:19:31 am
The run pass mix was a little more than 60/40 this year, not Broyles's favored 80/20 that he did almost his whole career as a coach.

The Hogs didn't get slaughtered by Mizzou because they couldn't run.  They got hammered because they couldn't handle the ball in the halfcourt nor defend the perimeter.  Not in that game.  Mike Anderson rushed Heath through all his favored player rotations till he couldn't use them anymore (due to foul trouble and fatigue), then the Tigers dismantled the units that were on the floor after that.  Second half of both halves.  You look back throughout Heath's career at Arkansas.  Opponents that did that to him always won.  If the Hogs can depend on a couple different lineups, they're fine.  If they have to go deep into the bench, they can look terrible against the weakest of opponents.  Not prepared for that.  Never prepared for that.

It still looks at though Heath is groping for what kind of team he wants to have, and his roster never seems to match what he wants very well.  The measure of Heath will be how much this team improves from December to March.  In past years (even last year) Heath abruptly changed strategic direction in midseason.  Last year it worked more than it hurt.  In the previous two years, he slowed down the tempo, and the players lost faith in him.  They despised being asked to play a style that made them look bad, because it didn't fit their skills.

The hard thing with the rosters Heath has had = the player mix has not been right.  Build the roster right, the team kinda plays itself after a while.  Heath has had a couple of players who play best if the whole team rotates around them.  But Heath doesn't have that kind of supporting cast.  The rest of the roster could benefit from a completely different, more share-the-burden style, which turns those other players into turnips.  It's always a tug of war.

It should always be defense first, then you see a Missouri game where they hit 57% from 3-pt range, which is hard to do unguarded.

Do we have a great ballhandler?  Do we have a great outside shooter?  Do we have a great rebounder?  Do we have a great man-to-man defender?  Do we have a tough guy?  What kind of basketball team has NOTA?

Biggus my analysis of our basketball program is much easier to explain.

Townes will never achieve his potential he plays soft

Hill will never develop an offensive game, are you serious? going into the 3rd year and he doesnt even have a simple hook shot.

With the exception of Beverly and Manimal (Thomas) our team is pretty much flawed or filled with players with glaring flaws in their game that they apparently either refuse to acknowledge and improve or simpley cant improve them because of lack of skill.

I hate to be so critical of them, but it is true it hurts me to watch them play because they seem to have all the natural abilities yet for some reason cant get it together.

OKhogfan1959

CBS also made fun of our passing game..Don't leave that little statement out of your post.

RAZORBART

Maybe Jim Lindsey ain't protecting SH like he is precious.

Since 1894

From the For What It is Worth Column:

A while back, I had a conversation with a gentleman who is a close friend of Nolan.  He told me that in Nolan's early years, Frank would drop by his office and give him scripted basketball plays to run.

A Football Coach telling a basketball coach on what plays to run.  IMHO, that was the beginning of the end of the Frank / Nolan relationship.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

georgecolevet

Obviously hdn knows where the bodies are buried. 

David Brent

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on December 12, 2006, 10:23:39 am
Mike,

1.  When did JFB tell Stan to hurry it up?

2.  Was this a command or a statement that fans like it more?

3.  When in the past has Arkansas football had a fast-paced offense that the fans were used to?

4.  Was this an attack on Broyles just to make a disgruntled faction of this board have something else to talk about?

5.  How would you describe your relationship with Broyles?

6.  Do you feel that the only man to lead Arkansas to a National Championship in football has suddenly lost his ability to discern what will or will not work on a football field?

7.  Why is it you seem to report more negative than positive these days?  Surely in the midst of a great season, you'd have more positive things to say? 

8.  Who said you couldn't have an up-tempo running offense?  CBS noted that we score quickly out of our running offense, and this year we had many more BIG plays (in both the passing and running game) than we had last year.  Seems like our offense has sped up, even if we have a more conventional running game while we nurse along a couple of young quarterbacks.

9.  When was the last time you heard Malzahn complain about the offense this season?

10.  If our offense is so behind, why was Malzahn named the coordinator of the year by College Football News?

Your post was more about stirring the pot than anything else, I get that.  But an attack on Broyles in order to gain momentum from this meeting with the parents was unneccessary.  The posters on this board deserve better than mere pot-stirring from its moderators.  I think we went through that last week.  This board can be greater than it is now if we stop with some of the senseless bashing and open it up to more discussion about all topics, positive and negative.

Excellent post.  I feel the exact same way.  If this thread was started by anyone else it wouldn't be around any longer.

mikeirwin

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath? 

It was said directly to a sportswriter by JFB last summer. However it's common knowledge among those who are around the basketball program that JFB wants them to run like Nolan did to get the crowds back up.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on December 12, 2006, 10:28:19 am
CBS also made fun of our passing game..Don't leave that little statement out of your post.

Of course they did, Dick was 3-17!  But that wasn't my point and that wasn't Broyles fault!  The point was, they are more uptempo, and they've done it using the running game. 

jamie72921

Quote from: dubyacee on December 12, 2006, 10:10:40 am

Nolan was right.

Folks, Frank Broyles has been a member at Augusta for many decades.

To most, Augusta is famous for being an exclusive golf club. Home of the Master's.

To those who pay attention, Augusta was sued in the 1990's, that's right the 1990's, for not allowing any people of color to join the club. Not even one person of color had EVER made the cut at Augusta.

I don't know that Nolan was 100% correct, but I do know he wasn't 100% wrong either.
Bless your heart

cmakrzrbak

Mike has a point and those of you who wish to turn it in to something else (oust, mac) are making your agendas quite transparent.  Frank has become a nuisance and Nutt his errand boy.  Stan is just trying to keep his job, and he'll do that by winning (regardless of what Frank "asks" him to do).  There is a double standard and until Frank leaves, it will be increasingly apparent.  Stirring the pot is not what Mike I. does.  He reports what he sees and what he believes and we are very lucky to have an insider here that truly cares about the University and our players, and doesn't want our future stymied by a has-been and a never-will-be.  I feel the current administration has lost so much touch with the fans and players that it is doomed to failure if allowed to sustain for much longer in its current form.  There are deeply rooted problems and good-ole boy relationships that are undermining the current staff and players.  Nothing good can come from Frank retaining power. 
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

fourthcrusade

December 12, 2006, 10:36:47 am #44 Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:38:28 am by fourthcrusade
Did Houston have to fill out a ridiculously humiliating "Essay report  paper", detailing his failings, personal basketball theories, plans for improvement, etc, etc, etc?   Were the questions Houston was asked leaked to the statewide newspaper, and then printed instead of discarded?   Did Houston have to do this after a WINNING, POSTSEASON ELIGIBLE SEASON, no less, after a bad Ronnie Brewer shot against Mississippi State cost his team a 20 win season & NCAA berth in Year 3?  Did Houston then face cameras after year 3 and after the 'embarrassing' loss to Bucknell in Year 4 (even though his players missed 9 second half free throws) - did houston face the cameras and say "this loss was MY fault.   I take full responsibility and this won't happen again.  We will be better next time." ?   Did Houston have the statewide media just 'forget' to run stories or even PRINT A PICTURE of his team after every win in a huge pre-conference tournament this November?  Did Houston's tournament winning team get a photo snub in favor of every Arkansan's basketball hero, "Connecticut's Doug Wiggins"?

The more the years go by, as much as I protested it back in 2002, the more the years go by, I am starting to realize...

Nolan WAS right.

HoggyWood

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 12, 2006, 10:35:30 am
Quote from: dubyacee on December 12, 2006, 10:10:40 am

Nolan was right.

Folks, Frank Broyles has been a member at Augusta for many decades.

To most, Augusta is famous for being an exclusive golf club. Home of the Master's.

To those who pay attention, Augusta was sued in the 1990's, that's right the 1990's, for not allowing any people of color to join the club. Not even one person of color had EVER made the cut at Augusta.

I don't know that Nolan was 100% correct, but I do know he wasn't 100% wrong either.

Are you insinuating racism? If so, who are you to do so? This alone deserves a visit to the trash.

Hawgz4Life

Double standards and embellishments of the truth seem to be the standard fare up on 'dat hill.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 10:33:31 am

I just want to know where you heard this, Mike.  Was it a direct quote from JFB or Stan Heath? 

It was said directly to a sportswriter by JFB last summer. However it's common knowledge among those who are around the basketball program that JFB wants them to run like Nolan did to get the crowds back up.

So this is second (at least) hand info?  Which sportswriter?  So, he wants to get more uptempo to get the crowds up....doesn't sound like an ultimatum to me.  Sounds like he misses the days when the Bud was full EVERY NIGHT.  What AD wouldn't ask around when attendance drops off like that?  Sounds like JFB is doing his job. 

hogfan870

Quote from: 311Hog on December 12, 2006, 10:27:34 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 12, 2006, 10:19:31 am

Biggus my analysis of our basketball program is much easier to explain.

Townes will never achieve his potential he plays soft

Hill will never develop an offensive game, are you serious? going into the 3rd year and he doesnt even have a simple hook shot.

With the exception of Beverly and Manimal (Thomas) our team is pretty much flawed or filled with players with glaring flaws in their game that they apparently either refuse to acknowledge and improve or simpley cant improve them because of lack of skill.

I hate to be so critical of them, but it is true it hurts me to watch them play because they seem to have all the natural abilities yet for some reason cant get it together.

Weems is pretty good.  

Tomhog™

Quote from: mikeirwin on December 12, 2006, 10:33:31 am

So it's still all about what will make the program money.  Ditch the style that will create the most success in the team for something that is entertaining.  So what if we lose a few on the way we should have won.  Hey, if it causes them to lose too many, JFB can just fire Heath and find a yes man to fill the role.  JFB is the true head coach of Arkansas sports...