Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Tournament

Started by NuttinItUp, March 04, 2017, 09:47:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

March 04, 2017, 09:47:58 pm Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:13:05 pm by NuttinItUp
SEC Tournament Bracket after the Saturday games:

Original bracket:

Tusks

The hogs HAVE to figure out a way to beat FL.  I don't know what the answer is but it would be nice not to lose 3 games to the same team in one season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dr. Starcs

Need to beat ole miss/auburn first. One game at a time.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tusked on March 04, 2017, 10:00:39 pm
The hogs HAVE to figure out a way to beat FL.  I don't know what the answer is but it would be nice not to lose 3 games to the same team in one season.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vandy upset Florida again..

biglewhog77

We need to play more zone against

Hogginintheville

passinghog

Vandy and Florida will be a war. Make it past our quarterfinal opponent and may have a good chance to make it to the finals

The_Iceman

Matchup Zone.

Gonzo

Gotta beat some good teams to win a tourney no matter where you start, so I rarely get too concerned about seeding other than byes and such, conserving energy. Though the zone was big in the Hogs stretch run, I do tend to agree with today's announcers that the Hogs faster pace and depth could pay big dividends in a setting like next week. Just glad they should be going in loose and playing just for seeding very rather than their postseason lives. Very little would surprise me greatly from them the next few weeks

Go Hogs!

JayHog

If we could beat Florida, that would be a high quality signature win that should do enough to impress the selection committee to move us out of the dreaded 8/9 seed.

ShadowHawg

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayHog on March 04, 2017, 11:21:20 pm
If we could beat Florida, that would be a high quality signature win that should do enough to impress the selection committee to move us out of the dreaded 8/9 seed.

That might be enough to steal a 6 seed. Maybe not but some projections already have us as a 7, IIRC. I think we are probably a solid 8 right now.

Haven't seen much of Gonzaga this year. Does anyone who has think we could knock 'em off?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 11:24:37 pm
That might be enough to steal a 6 seed. Maybe not but some projections already have us as a 7, IIRC. I think we are probably a solid 8 right now.

Haven't seen much of Gonzaga this year. Does anyone who has think we could knock 'em off?

They have good bigs but little depth at the guards.

Jonathan Williams will be a problem at the 4.

If we make them go against our Halfcourt defense and run them in transition, we can beat them.

JayHog

Also, I would love another shot at Kentucky. And for it to be in the SEC Championship Finals...the two most storied basketball teams in the SEC going head to head on that national stage. Ahhh... it would feel like old times again.
But, I'm getting ahead of myself. But a guy and dream, right?

lumphog

Quote from: JayHog on March 04, 2017, 11:31:03 pm
Also, I would love another shot at Kentucky. And for it to be in the SEC Championship Finals...the two most storied basketball teams in the SEC going head to head on that national stage. Ahhh... it would feel like old times again.
But, I'm getting ahead of myself. But a guy and dream, right?
YES , He and   ;)

98hogs

Not playing at Florida will help

rzrbackramsfan

Freakin love the draw.  Ole miss is doable, then, Florida will have a tough game, and if we play them, I don't see them beating us a third straight time.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Gonzo on March 04, 2017, 11:08:44 pm
Gotta beat some good teams to win a tourney no matter where you start,

Go Hogs!

TNhawgfan

As odd as it is to say, I'd rather be the four than the three. Ole miss is a better team than bama, and imo Florida is better than Kentucky. Of course, uk will have the crowd advantage
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

my3boneheads

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee beat Kentucky or A&M beat Vanderbilt.

NuttinItUp

PonderinHog

Make a high percentage of threes and hope Florida misses three fourths of theirs.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 05, 2017, 01:23:59 pm
Make a high percentage of threes and hope Florida misses three fourths of theirs.

Or hope that all the starters come down with the flu the day of the game?

Soooie21

Light a fire under Moses that last a full game..

TexArkHogFan

Vandy will be the crowd favorite.  Playing at home, just not on their home court.  Their fans will fill up the arena.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

NuttinItUp

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 05, 2017, 06:04:24 pm
Vandy will be the crowd favorite.  Playing at home, just not on their home court.  Their fans will fill up the arena.

That is a good point. Also Kentucky fans always bring it.

lynbug

It will probably be Kentucky vs.. Vandy in the finals. JMO.  I'm hoping for a good showing in our one or two games that we play to help our seeding (?)

Dwight_K_Shrute

To me it doesn't make sense that the 3 seed is the absolute latest game on Friday.  Shouldn't the 4 be the latest?  Just not ideal since you are turning around and playing what could be less than 18 hours later.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Quote from: lynbug on March 06, 2017, 11:33:23 am
It will probably be Kentucky vs.. Vandy in the finals. JMO.  I'm hoping for a good showing in our one or two games that we play to help our seeding (?)

Don't see Vandy beating Florida 3 times in one season.

FraggleHog

Quote from: JayHog on March 04, 2017, 11:21:20 pm

IMO, the selection committee puts heavier weight on regular season games as opposed to conference tourney games. I don't think we'll get higher than a 8/9 seed unless we get to the conf. tourney champ and lose close, or win it all.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

lynbug

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 11:46:34 am
Don't see Vandy beating Florida 3 times in one season.
I agree with you but I was just going on momentum and home crowd.  I'll just  be thrilled to win the first game on Friday.

FraggleHog

If we end up playing Florida in the semi's, I like our chances. It's hard enough to beat a team twice in a season. 3rd times a charm.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

HotlantaHog

How many games have the Hogs won in the SEC in recent history? I remember one year when they were in the finals in Atlanta the year there was a tornado... and in 2015 in the finals losing to Kentucky .... otherwise, there are a lot of years of one and done.

Will be happy in the Hogs make it to Saturday and win a game... anything else will be icing on the cake...

lynbug

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 06, 2017, 11:36:54 am
To me it doesn't make sense that the 3 seed is the absolute latest game on Friday.  Shouldn't the 4 be the latest?  Just not ideal since you are turning around and playing what could be less than 18 hours later.
Totally unfair for the three seed to have a shorter turnaround than the four seed. Well, I just noticed that the four seed plays the first game on Saturday so.....that gives us a few more hours of rest.

BRHogfan

Quote from: lynbug on March 06, 2017, 12:24:07 pm
Totally unfair for the three seed to have a shorter turnaround than the four seed. Well, I just noticed that the four seed plays the first game on Saturday so.....that gives us a few more hours of rest.
When we beat Georgia 2 years ago, they didn't get finished until Midnight as the 3 seed.  It would put us at an advantage over teams like UGA, USCe, FLA, and Tennessee, but we don't actually play any of them in that Friday night game. 

It's not great having to turn around and play the 3:30 Saturday afternoon game, but it's not as bad as if we played at noon.  I wouldn't want them to put any team on a 12 hour turnaround. 

Youngsta71701

2-3 zone, box and 1, or maybe triangle and 2. Anything but man to man. It's clear by now that we can't stay in front of their guards. Matchup zone didn't even work well against them.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Timfromlittlerockhog

You are assuming that Florida gets past Vandy.

Hoggish1

The answer is a neutral court with a lot of Razorback fans raising ell

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 06, 2017, 08:02:24 pm
The answer is a neutral court with a lot of Razorback fans raising ell

Do neutral officials come with that
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

NuttinItUp

Do we care who wins the first round games on Wednesday? (Auburn or Missouri?)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 06, 2017, 08:11:59 pm

Get Mizzou out of there ASAP. RPI killer even if you win.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 06, 2017, 08:27:58 pm
Get Mizzou out of there ASAP. RPI killer even if you win.

Seriously, if we even nod at a Mizzou Tiger in the hotel lobby, our RPI will drop.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 06, 2017, 08:11:59 pm
Depends on if we're worrying about advancing or our RPI.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

NuttinItUp

First round games this evening

Biggus Piggus

It is absolutely crazy to have anybody in the conference tournament that would have to win games on five consecutive days to win the tourney. Even if they did, they'd be totally gassed for the NCAAT. The SEC's banking on the impossibility of such a feat.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Don't really want to see Mississippi again. They did not play their best against us at BWA. The Rebels are 7-3 in their last 10 games. Ole Miss could play its way into the NCAAT with a couple of wins. Will the Hogs match their intensity?
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

So who's the best bet to go on a run from all the lower division teams?  Seems like almost every year a team from the first day or second day play gets hot, pulls a couple of upsets and finds itself in at least the semis. 

I'm thinking Mississippi State.  Would not be surprised to see them win tonight, then beat Bama and USCe to make it to the semis.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 08, 2017, 11:52:56 am
So who's the best bet to go on a run from all the lower division teams?  Seems like almost every year a team from the first day or second day play gets hot, pulls a couple of upsets and finds itself in at least the semis. 

Hopefully NOT Ole Miss or Auburn.

niels_boar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 08, 2017, 11:43:19 am
Don't really want to see Mississippi again. They did not play their best against us at BWA. The Rebels are 7-3 in their last 10 games. Ole Miss could play its way into the NCAAT with a couple of wins. Will the Hogs match their intensity?

Agreed.  The fourth seed looked like a better draw to me.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.