Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taking words too literally - Best DC

Started by a shady hog, December 15, 2017, 12:10:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 01:06:48 pm

That's what I keep telling you guys, its not about our opinion.....its the promises that are made and kept to the kids.

How has he even broken a promise? No one has even been hired. And like I said, if he hires Alex Grinch and he believes Grinch is the best DC in the country, then he didn't lie to them.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:07:59 pm
I never said he was "lying".  That's a stupid word to use in this context.  As I said, IN THE HEAT OF PRESS CONFERENCE, he chose poor words to convey what he wanted to convey.
and he disagrees.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:08:14 pm
How has he even broken a promise? No one has even been hired. And like I said, if he hires Alex Grinch and he believes Grinch is the best DC in the country, then he didn't lie to them.
these dudes are lunatics.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:07:52 pm
wasnt "bad terminology" at all. he has since doubled and tripled down on it. How do you guys know who he has or hasnt hired?
If Brent Venables rolls into town in January then I will concede that his words were literal and spot on.

RME

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:07:59 pm
I never said he was "lying".  That's a stupid word to use in this context.  As I said, IN THE HEAT OF PRESS CONFERENCE, he chose poor words to convey what he wanted to convey.

Okay. In the heat of a pregame speech against Alabama, I hope he chooses words to convey what he wants to convey and not overhype anything lest a message board overanalyze it and get pissed off.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:08:31 pm
and he disagrees.
That's fine he can disagree.  He's the coach.  But when he hires someone that doesn't meet the qualifications of "best DC in the country" there will always be some smartass questioning why he chose those words.  And that somebody won't be me.  Because I'm honest enough to recognize the statement for what it was.  Hyperbole.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:09:00 pm
If Brent Venables rolls into town in January then I will concede that his words were literal and spot on.
what if it's grinch? thats 'the best' dc to pair with the spread.
what if it's Golding? He could certainly be called 'the best dc in college football'. dude is a beast.
Im personally not convinced it isnt brent venables, esp after we just offered his son's best friend in his life, isaac stoops (bob's son) a PWO spot yesterday with the Hogs.

One thing im am 100% certain of-

He DONT give a rip what grizzly things about it.

RME

And what if Morris doesn't think Venables is "the best DC?"

Are you saying you know more than Morris about DCs?

WilsonHog

Given the way fans spin words, I think if I were a head coach my tactic in each press conference would be to use the same number of total words in my responses as questions asked.

RME

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:11:13 pm
what if it's grinch? thats 'the best' dc to pair with the spread.
what if it's Golding? He could certainly be called 'the best dc in college football'. dude is a beast.

One thing im am 100% certain of-

He DONT give a rip what grizzly things about it.

Exactly. Just because a Hogville poster thinks Coach X is "the best DC" doesn't mean Morris thinks Coach X is "the best DC."

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:08:14 pm

Then its up to the new DC to prove it to the kids.....if he does......ALL GOOD!

Pig in the Pokey

coach b said frank ragnow was the best center in the country. HE LIED!!! ragnow WAS NOT 1st team AA!!!!

see how ridiculous y'all sound?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:11:28 pm
And what if Morris doesn't think Venables is "the best DC?"

Are you saying you know more than Morris about DCs?
What was the assumption of almost every person on this board when he said "the best DC in the country"?

And, by the way, I'm not the one who's obsessed with hiring "the best DC in the country".  I recognize Morris' words for what they were.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:14:12 pm
coach b said frank ragnow was the best center in the country. HE LIED!!! ragnow WAS NOT 1st team AA!!!!

Promoting a kid to the public is one thing......Promoting something TO your team is another....

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RME

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:14:25 pm
What was the assumption of almost every person on this board when he said "the best DC in the country"?

And, by the way, I'm not the one who's obsessed with hiring "the best DC in the country".  I recognize Morris' words for what they were.

I don't care about what every person on this board thinks. They, luckily, have 0 say in the situation.

Tommy Tuberville would be our AD if that were the case.

Hogindasticks

Same here.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 01:16:06 pm
Promoting a kid to the public is one thing......Promoting something TO your team is another....
lol. and getting y'alls panties in a wad about it before you even know who the hire will be is CLASSIC Hogville. please at least dont tweet recruits or our coach...

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:17:47 pm
lol. and getting y'alls panties in a wad about it before you even know who the hire will be is CLASSIC Hogville. please at least dont tweet recruits or our coach...

Just sitting back waiting to see how this corresponds to recruiting....lol

Pig in the Pokey

a shady hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 01:05:46 pm
By your logic, whenever any coach tells his team before playing Alabama, "we're gonna go out there and kick their ass," and that's not at all what happens, then the coach lying to the players and to the fans and everyone else in the world.

You've got it figured out.

I'd love for our coach in his pregame speech against Alabama to say "well we're gonna go out there and try our best!"
Good analogy

a shady hog

I think some didn't even read my original post lol.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: a shady hog on December 15, 2017, 01:43:44 pm
Good analogy

How about......."There are going to be NFL players on the field to help you win today!"...and no one shows up...lol

I think that would be closer to what we are talking about here.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TexArkHogFan

If he had said "I'm going to bring in the best defensive coordinator I can get" or "the best defensive coordinator available", problem solved.  But, by saying I am going to bring in the best defensive coordinator in the country,  what he considers the best may not be what others consider the best.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

oldhawg

Could be that Morris has a young gun in mind that is currently a position coach that most have never heard of, but is ready to step up and be among the best Defense Coordinators in the country.  Talent evaluation is important among coaches as well as players.  Even Brent Venebles was a position coach before going to Oklahoma and very quickly establishing his reputation as a DC.

If that happens, some folks on HV will definitely see their blood pressure increase, and find all sorts of disparaging name to call Morris.

Me?  I like the movement towards young guns on the coaching staff that are ready to make there imprints and establish their names.  There are a number of young position coaches out there that just need the opportunity to prove their mettle as coordinators.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: a shady hog on December 15, 2017, 12:10:55 pm
I see many on here posting about how Coach Morris is going to have "the best defensive coordinator in the country" and I hear the same thing from people on sports talk radio. I think what Coach Morris was saying when he introduced himself to the team is that you should always consider everything as the best. He said (paraphrasing) "We're going to have the best practice. We're going to have the best meeting. We're going to have the best defensive coordinator. etc." I think he was really just trying to influence the players to have that positive mentality - not that he has the "best" defensive coordinator already lined up and waiting - he could have one already, but I don't necessarily think he meant that as a literal phrase.

I just foresee people all up in arms over that phrase if he doesn't get Venables.

This reminds me of people who repeat a sentence from Frank Broyles about Gus, but leave out the end of his sentence. I even heard a female reporter on KTHV 11 say this and Jim Harris didn't correct her. "That style of offense will never work in the SEC - without a running quarterback."

you can think he was trying to be upbeat but unless you know the man we really won't know till he shows us.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

From Tusk Till Dawn

Seems like there are measureables out there to define the best.  Most of you defending the comment are the exact people quoting those exact things to make your point about how how bad we were defensively under CBB.  CMM made the comment because he knew his previous teams didnt play D and he wanted to shore that concern up with the fans, media, etc.  If he doesnt bring in a solid hire he will have inserted doubt about his judgment unnecessarily.

hogmolar

What is he supposed to say? You know guys we really have a limited budget so we are going to see what we can get. Hopefully he will be decent and maybe even above what we have had in years past.

Yeah I am sure this would be awesome for confidence.

Phil D

I see many on here posting about how Coach Morris is going to have "the best defensive coordinator in the country" and I hear the same thing from people on sports talk radio. I think what Coach Morris was saying when he introduced himself to the team is that you should always consider everything as the best. He said (paraphrasing) "We're going to have the best practice. We're going to have the best meeting. We're going to have the best defensive coordinator. etc." I think he was really just trying to influence the players to have that positive mentality - not that he has the "best" defensive coordinator already lined up and waiting - he could have one already, but I don't necessarily think he meant that as a literal phrase.

I just foresee people all up in arms over that phrase if he doesn't get Venables.

This reminds me of people who repeat a sentence from Frank Broyles about Gus, but leave out the end of his sentence. I even heard a female reporter on KTHV 11 say this and Jim Harris didn't correct her. "That style of offense will never work in the SEC - without a running quarterback."

Don't you dare bring common sense to this board, You evil, evil man LMAO
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pork Twain

Hogville is known much more for the complaining and illogical posting than it is for its critical thinkers.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Science Fiction Greg

Sigh.

One of the worst things about "today's world" (TM) is that people think and hear in soundbites.  What you are dealing with here is simply a soundbite, a single line taken from a larger context.  The trouble is, when you remove the single line from the context, the meaning is often changed.  It is important to consider what someone says in the context of the rest of what was being said or happening.

He previously was speaking about having one standard in the program: "best."  Having a standard means that you compare how you did with the standard of best, and if it's worse, you need to do better.  When his comment about "the best DC in the country" is placed back into context of his whole speech, it's pretty obvious that he is just setting the standard for himself.  It's a callback to his earlier statement that the standard for the program is "best."  He's reinforcing that statement by showing that's the standard he's placing on himself.  Leading by example while simultaneously demonstrating that he's serious about the standard he mentioned earlier.

Sure, if he doesn't get the "best DC in the country" everyone can be disappointed, but what he's saying is that he is going into the search with the expectation placed on himself, by himself, that he gets the best DC in the country.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

LZH

"Defensively, I'm gonna have the best D.C. in all of college football right here."

That does sound an awful lot like he already knew who it was.

The Kig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 12:38:25 pm
No one is "doing my thinking for me." I have in my mind who I consider to be fantastic candidates for DC. I am also not arrogant enough to think I know better than Morris and his already-assembled staff about college football DCs.

Puhh-lease.  You're absolutely one of the most arrogant posters on Hogville.   Always telling other people how they are wrong and what to think.  Always towing the "company line".  Now you're back pedaling for Morris... Comical.

While I agree that him saying "best" is certainly subjective, if he doesn't deliver a DC who has produced some pretty solid Defenses, then he has earned some criticism. 
Poker Porker

azhog10

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2017, 01:14:12 pm

He also said they had a great weak of practice, Austin was ready for a breakout year, our OLine would be much improved, and we were going to finish games better this year.....guess he didn't lie about those things either.

azhog10

Quote from: hogmolar on December 15, 2017, 09:59:52 pm
What is he supposed to say? You know guys we really have a limited budget so we are going to see what we can get. Hopefully he will be decent and maybe even above what we have had in years past.

Yeah I am sure this would be awesome for confidence.
He could easily say we are gonna hire a guy that's the best fit for the program that he can get. Not the best DC period.

Rayzback

Transubstantiation, Consubstantiation, and Memorial poll to follow.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 12:17:44 pm
That's the problem with making promises you can not keep.  People lose faith in you as a person because you blatantly lied to their face if you don't come through with what you promised....simple as that.  The team will implode on him if it doesn't happen. 

Maybe he should have said, "I'm going to hire between the 17th and 68th best defensive cooordinator in the country"? Wouldn't help the ignorance on display at times here though. See below.

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 01:03:42 pm
Possibly, but making promises to your team.....you better back it up...if you want a team left.

So, you're saying the defense will mutiny unless it's Venables or are you thinking we just play iron man football if it isn't Veneables? Maybe we just have an offensive and special teams based staff and have a couple GAs run the D. At this point, I'm wanting to match your dire assessment of things. If it's not Venables, we should just mail in the defense and go ape shart at Lids or Golden Corral with the defensive staff salary money.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Rudy Baylor

That's the problem with making promises you can not keep.  People lose faith in you as a person because you blatantly lied to their face if you don't come through with what you promised....simple as that.  The team will implode on him if it doesn't happen.

synthartist69

No need to analyze his statements word for word. If he said he is bringing in the best defensive coordinator in all of college football, then that means he IS bringing in the best defensive coordinator in all of college football. Venables may not actually be the best though he has an outstanding record. There may be one better that Morris has in mind. Stop trying to analyze ever single word that he says.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 16, 2017, 08:25:50 am
Sigh.

One of the worst things about "today's world" (TM) is that people think and hear in soundbites.  What you are dealing with here is simply a soundbite, a single line taken from a larger context.  The trouble is, when you remove the single line from the context, the meaning is often changed.  It is important to consider what someone says in the context of the rest of what was being said or happening.

He previously was speaking about having one standard in the program: "best."  Having a standard means that you compare how you did with the standard of best, and if it's worse, you need to do better.  When his comment about "the best DC in the country" is placed back into context of his whole speech, it's pretty obvious that he is just setting the standard for himself.  It's a callback to his earlier statement that the standard for the program is "best."  He's reinforcing that statement by showing that's the standard he's placing on himself.  Leading by example while simultaneously demonstrating that he's serious about the standard he mentioned earlier.

Sure, if he doesn't get the "best DC in the country" everyone can be disappointed, but what he's saying is that he is going into the search with the expectation placed on himself, by himself, that he gets the best DC in the country.
This is exactly what I meant with my post. Unfortunately I don't know how many here will get what you are saying (sadly). Very well put.

Boardon Hamsay

I picture you playing Creed in the background of every CCM presser going forward. Probably a dimly lit room where you knit doilies while taking mental notes on every word uttered and then recreate the pressers using different vocal tones and running algorithms to interpret their true meaning....

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

tusksincolorado

Similar to our current leadership....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

RME

Quote from: The Kig on December 16, 2017, 09:18:55 am
Puhh-lease.  You're absolutely one of the most arrogant posters on Hogville.   Always telling other people how they are wrong and what to think.  Always towing the "company line".  Now you're back pedaling for Morris... Comical.

While I agree that him saying "best" is certainly subjective, if he doesn't deliver a DC who has produced some pretty solid Defenses, then he has earned some criticism.

Toeing*

If me saying that a head college football coach who is being paid millions of dollars by a major university knows infinitely more about DCs than I do or than Hogville does is "backpedaling," so be it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: oldhawg on December 15, 2017, 03:48:11 pm
Could be that Morris has a young gun in mind that is currently a position coach that most have never heard of, but is ready to step up and be among the best Defense Coordinators in the country.

Oops.  Not acceptable.  You are hedging.

HoggyCat

I think it's just more backing for my thinking he's a used car salesman.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HouSwine

I am taking it as a commitment to self but also as an expression of confidence in the fact that Arkansas has the money to get the best...and he hopefully has been told he has the buck$

HoggyCat

"I'll hire the best defensive coordinator in all of football," Morris said.

When you take into consideration what he actually said, it does sound a little more than what you were trying to say.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.