Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tx HS coaches not happy w Jimbo

Started by twistitup, December 14, 2017, 05:27:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

"Never has a cookie cake caused this much controversy.

The dessert with "Welcome to Texas Coach Fisher" emblazoned in icing awaited new A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, who received the cake when he visited the home of Ro Simon Jr.
Simon Jr. coaches Fast Houston 7-on-7, an Adidas-backed select team that features A&M recruits and other top prospects.

A photo of Fisher's meeting on the first recruiting trip as the Aggies' coach circulated on Twitter. And apparently it didn't sit well with some Texas high school football coaches."

Tx does NOT want the AAU version of 7on7 to take over- they prefer the school sanctioned version.....Jumbo stepping on toes- could hurt his recruiting

....and maybe help our recruiting.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/06/jimbo-fisher-just-step-cold-war-visit-select-7-7-coach-go
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RagingHawgOn

In all honesty, Fisher scares me no more than Sumlin. I think Jimbo is an overrated, pompous jackass.  I hope he pisses off every coach in Texas, all while A&M pays him the $75 mill.

JONAS

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 14, 2017, 07:42:37 am
In all honesty, Fisher scares me no more than Sumlin. I think Jimbo is an overrated, pompous jackass.  I hope he pisses off every coach in Texas, all while A&M pays him the $75 mill.

I hope so, but he hired Dickey.  He will help with the Texas high school coaches.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ugly Uncle

Jimbo is goofy.  Do you remember all the denials he made concerning his shop lifting, raping QB? 

He just kept looking stupid defending him.  There are some funny videos of him denying anything happened with the shoplifting and then the proof coming out.

Jimbo is going to flop there.  He is overrated.  I'm so glad they got him.
Retired Radio Host

dhizzle

Adidas backed are the key words. Features A&M recruits, that just doesn't sound right.

NuttinItUp

This article seems to be reaching a little.

I am all in favor of Fisher making high school coaches in Texas mad, but I kind of think they will give the guy a little slack for meeting with a 7-on-7 director in his first week on the job. Not exactly worthy of getting mad over.

The Hawg Marshal

I wonder if the cops around College Station will help cover up his aTm players transgressions, like the ones in Tallahassee did.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 14, 2017, 08:34:30 am
I wonder if the cops around College Station will help cover up his aTm players transgressions, like the ones in Tallahassee did.

You do remember Johnny Manzel don't you?  AtM will do a better job of covering things up.
Retired Radio Host

oldhawg

I think you are grasping at straws.  Jumbo Fisher will recruit very well at Texas A&M.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 14, 2017, 08:35:38 am
You do remember Johnny Manzel don't you?  AtM will do a better job of covering things up.
Yeah I did forget about Manziel. You're right they can probably get away with anything. Jimbo may just be a huge success there.

jkstock04

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 14, 2017, 08:30:08 am
Jimbo is goofy.  Do you remember all the denials he made concerning his shop lifting, raping QB? 

He just kept looking stupid defending him.  There are some funny videos of him denying anything happened with the shoplifting and then the proof coming out.

Promise?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cotton

Quote from: twistitup on December 14, 2017, 05:27:27 am

The dessert with "Welcome to Texas Coach Fisher" emblazoned in icing awaited new A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, who received the cake when he visited the home of Ro Simon Jr.
Simon Jr. coaches Fast Houston 7-on-7, an Adidas-backed select team that features A&M recruits and other top prospects.

A photo of Fisher's meeting on the first recruiting trip as the Aggies' coach circulated on Twitter. And apparently it didn't sit well with some Texas high school football coaches."

Tx does NOT want the AAU version of 7on7 to take over- they prefer the school sanctioned version.....Jumbo stepping on toes- could hurt his recruiting

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/06/jimbo-fisher-just-step-cold-war-visit-select-7-7-coach-go
Commercialized 7on7 has been on the rise for awhile and most are saying it's the future for recruiting. 

They're trying to make it comparable to AAU tournaments or showcase soccer tournaments where coaches can go watch a large number of recruits all in one place.  Throw in the $$$ from sponsors and the High schools will lose out... There was talk of trying to make a rule banning this but I don't see that happening with the amount of money involved.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Pigsknuckles

So, do I understand correctly that the Texas High School coaches are upset with the IMG model because they feel the academy is poaching HS kids that they could otherwise "recruit" for their teams? Frankly, I simply am not familiar with how Texas HS football operates (maybe I don't want to). I understand that Texas HS football is big business, and is extremely competitive, but is active recruiting allowed at the Texas high school level? That type of recruiting, though technically not allowed,  has gone on here in the Tulsa area for years, albeit under the table. Schools here, and I won't mention names, have been known to set up a family in housing in their district to have access to an athlete. Is Texas more open about this activity? 
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 14, 2017, 08:54:28 am
So, do I understand correctly that the Texas High School coaches are upset with the IMG model because they feel the academy is poaching HS kids that they could otherwise "recruit" for their teams? Frankly, I simply am not familiar with how Texas HS football operates (maybe I don't want to). I understand that Texas HS football is big business, and is extremely competitive, but is active recruiting allowed at the Texas high school level? That type of recruiting, though technically not allowed,  has gone on here in the Tulsa area for years, albeit under the table. Schools here, and I won't mention names, have been known to set up a family in housing in their district to have access to an athlete. Is Texas more open about this activity? 

They are mad because elite talent goes to play on these "showcase" type 7 on 7 teams during the summer instead of playing for the HS 7 on 7 team during the summer. So the HS coaches have 2 gripes - 1 they do not know what these kids are being told and are doing. and 2, the 7 on 7 team of their own school suffers and the coach can not make a name for himself as a spread guru and get a better job.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The NewEra

Fisher is taking over a program that already, under Sumlin, has a discipline problem.  Past history say discipline is not Fisher's strong suit.  I lived in Texas for over 25 years.  They are good, wholesome, religious people.  Don't expect the coaches around the state to support an aTm program that has kids getting into trouble on a regular basis.  His presence in  aTm may bode well for CCM and staff. 

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on December 14, 2017, 08:59:36 am
They are mad because elite talent goes to play on these "showcase" type 7 on 7 teams during the summer instead of playing for the HS 7 on 7 team during the summer. So the HS coaches have 2 gripes - 1 they do not know what these kids are being told and are doing. and 2, the 7 on 7 team of their own school suffers and the coach can not make a name for himself as a spread guru and get a better job.
This. Basketball coaches fought the same battle and lost.

IMO I think its great for the athletes.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

kingofdequeen

Quote from: dhizzle on December 14, 2017, 08:30:27 am
Adidas backed are the key words. Features A&M recruits, that just doesn't sound right.

already shown how dirty they are - to continue business with them while under FBI inquiry is either awe-inspiring chutzpah or they're just in a really big hurry to step on their own dicks. 

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 14, 2017, 08:54:28 am
They have to pay for those high school stadiums that seat 25,000
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

The Hogfather

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 14, 2017, 07:42:37 am

He's fat and happy now.  He'll be average at TAMU, no doubt in my mind.  As you said, I don't think he's any better than Sumlin and will have a similar record by the time he is done there in 5-7 years.

Calling All Hogs

I agree. I would not have been happy if Arkansas had gotten Jimbo under the same type contract. It turned me off how Fisher sacrificed his dignity to keep Jameis Winston playing.

Hoggish1

Quote from: oldhawg on December 14, 2017, 08:38:47 am
I think you are grasping at straws.  Jumbo Fisher will recruit very well at Texas A&M.

Yes he probably will, but:

1.  He got more and better athletes in Florida for FSU and
2.  He under-performed with them

So, I'm not worried about Jimbo at TAMU

MORAZOR

Meh
High school coaches don't have the recruiting influence they like to think they do......

The Hogfather

Quote from: oldhawg on December 14, 2017, 08:38:47 am

If you only go by recruiting rankings, Texas A&M recruits very, very, very well under EVERY coach.  It just never translates to the field.  I guess maybe you could say it did when Manziel was there.

Pigsknuckles

Interesting. I wonder how much increase in recruiting exposure there is for a player that excels in those leagues.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ChicoHog

Quote from: Cotton on December 14, 2017, 08:49:48 am
Commercialized 7on7 has been on the rise for awhile and most are saying it's the future for recruiting. 

They're trying to make it comparable to AAU tournaments or showcase soccer tournaments where coaches can go watch a large number of recruits all in one place.  Throw in the $$$ from sponsors and the High schools will lose out... There was talk of trying to make a rule banning this but I don't see that happening with the amount of money involved.
God, please no.  AAU basketball is already a mess and we sure don't need that in football.  One thing saving HS football is at least the 7 on 7 stuff is not real football since they can't block and tackle.  I want HS football to keep it's grip on the players and not let some scumbag, money sucking street agents find their way into the football recruiting world like basketball.  Keep the shoe companies out also. 

LRHawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 14, 2017, 09:23:52 am
Interesting. I wonder how much increase in recruiting exposure there is for a player that excels in those leagues.

It's probably similar to basketball, in that there will be scumbag handlers for the blue chip programs with their tentacles in all the tournaments associated with these 7v7 summer leagues.

As has been pointed out above, I can certainly see why the high school coaches don't like it, but like Basketball I'm afraid this will only become more prevalent, unless a lot more cane is raised by the FBI investigation into AAU/shoe companies.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 14, 2017, 09:29:28 am
God, please no.  AAU basketball is already a mess and we sure don't need that in football.  One thing saving HS football is at least the 7 on 7 stuff is not real football since they can't block and tackle.  I want HS football to keep it's grip on the players and not let some scumbag, money sucking street agents find their way into the football recruiting world like basketball.  Keep the shoe companies out also. 
Yea if the AAU basketball model is what it is being compared to then that is bad. We have another one poping up here in Arkansas backed by the Monk brothers and that suck up Nick Mason.  It is called the Woodz.  Be on the lookout for that group as they solicate "sponsorship" money for their basketball group.

LRHawg

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 14, 2017, 09:37:45 am
Yea if the AAU basketball model is what it is being compared to then that is bad. We have another one poping up here in Arkansas backed by the Monk brothers and that suck up Nick Mason.  It is called the Woodz.  Be on the lookout for that group as they solicate "sponsorship" money for their basketball group.

They should be carried out of the state on a board. 

HF#1

Jimbo Fisher is the real life equivalent to Boomhauer.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Cotton

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 14, 2017, 09:29:28 am
1. For player safety and CTE, the 7 on 7 stuff is taking off a lot faster than people think.

2. Money sucking street agents are already everywhere in College Football.

I know a couple of former NCAA and NFL players that train athletes and they are getting involved in these 7 on 7 showcases.  They claim athletes get better training and skill work than they would with their High School.  I mean its the same thing as the kids going to these showcase "camps" around the country.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

code red

LOL....Frito pie....A@M is about to become a Juggernaut.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

oldhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 14, 2017, 09:09:06 am
Yes he probably will, but:

1.  He got more and better athletes in Florida for FSU and
2.  He under-performed with them

So, I'm not worried about Jimbo at TAMU

Underperformed?  He averaged over ten wins a season and won a national championship in the eight years he was at Florida State.  Nationally, I would say that puts him pretty high on the performance list.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: oldhawg on December 14, 2017, 10:23:00 am
Underperformed?  He averaged over ten wins a season and won a national championship in the eight years he was at Florida State.  Nationally, I would say that puts him pretty high on the performance list.
People are just haters man. Haters gonna hate. The guy had a 50 game stretch at FSU where he went 47-3......can't coach a lick.

The Hogfather

December 14, 2017, 10:43:30 am #34 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:00:43 am by The Hogfather

Well, it is relative.  When you look at his talent and the league he was playing in, you could definitely make a good argument that he underperformed.

According to Rivals, FSU recruiting classes were:

2011:  2
2012:  6
2013: 10
2014:  4
2015:  3
2016:  2
2017:  5

Really, he had 2 really good years, 1 great year, and the rest he definitely underperformed based on the recruiting rankings.  Even the really good years and great year could be questioned because of the schedules they played.  They weren't very good at all.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 14, 2017, 10:39:48 am
People are just haters man. Haters gonna hate. The guy had a 50 game stretch at FSU where he went 47-3......can't coach a lick.
Line has been drawn in the sand. 99% of the time the complete opposite happens to what the crystal ball proclamations on here say.

Mental note made of this. Jimbo Fisher will be a failure at Texas A&M. Lol OK. We will see.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 14, 2017, 10:43:30 am
Well, it is relative.  When you look at his talent and the league he was playing in, you could definitely make a good argument that he underperformed.
He was 2nd or 3rd in the country in wins during his tenure there. Do you consider FSU to be the 2nd best job in the country? If you do, which would be a huge reach, he at least did a great job. Won the conference 3-4 times. Won a NC. Had a stretch of 47-3. I'd like to see that good argument that he's "underperformed."  I would argue against it even more but I don't throw effort after foolishness.

zuko

Jumbo at A&M is going to be like Strong @ Texas. Sumlin got screwed.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 14, 2017, 10:53:46 am
He was 2nd or 3rd in the country in wins during his tenure there. Do you consider FSU to be the 2nd best job in the country? If you do, which would be a huge reach, he at least did a great job. Won the conference 3-4 times. Won a NC. Had a stretch of 47-3. I'd like to see that good argument that he's "underperformed."  I would argue against it even more but I don't throw effort after foolishness.

You are very superficial in your thinking.  With the talent they got every year and the schedules they played, he underperformed to lose as many games as he did there.

gmarv

Might remind some of our last hire.He did take over a pretty good program from saint Bowen.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: twistitup on December 14, 2017, 05:27:27 am

They shouldn't want an AAU version of football.  Just pure graft.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HoggyCat

Yet problem deny Long squelched rape while here....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HamGrowsOnTrees

basketball went to heck when aau and the handlers got involved. I'd lole to see it stay out of cfb. Boo Jimbo. Sounds like he just wants to pay some handlers for recruits instead of doing it the right way.

Pudgepork

Quote from: zuko on December 14, 2017, 10:55:37 am
Sumlin got screwed.

Sounds like Jimbos wife did too.  Let's hear more about that

wildturkey8

Quote from: zuko on December 14, 2017, 10:55:37 am
Jumbo at A&M is going to be like Strong @ Texas. Sumlin got screwed.
I don't think so, Jackie Sherrill underperformed at A&M but embraced every aspect of being an Aggie.  They made him athletic director.  It looks like Jimbo has a lot of Aggie tendencies plus they won't want to admit they made a $100 million mistake.  It wouldn't surprise me if they run into NCAA trouble while Jimbo's there, which will cause them to circle the wagons even tighter.

oldhog63

I don't think Jimbo will do any better than Sumlin. Glad they spent all that money on him. What has A&M won in the last 30 years? 50 years? I guess all their coaches in my lifetime have under performed.

hogginbama

So they are jealous of a little competition. Seems those texas coaches get pissed everytime someone disagrees with their thoughts. "I can use my players for my own improvement, but by golly you better not try to use them and get them in front of more scouts for their betterment". What a bunch of drama filled ass-clowns.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 14, 2017, 11:03:32 am
You are very superficial in your thinking.  With the talent they got every year and the schedules they played, he underperformed to lose as many games as he did there.
You can call me superficial in you like. I'm not naive enough to think the teams with the most talent always should win. It's never happened in the history of sports and it never will happen. But if someone is 2nd in the country in wins over their tenure they didn't "underperform." That is message board talk and it's meaningless. That's like saying Saban has underperformed. He's had more talent than anybody since after his 2nd year. Should he be undefeated the past 7-8 years? I'd love to hear your thoughts on LSU, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan and several other programs over that time frame.

Smashmouth2004

My son coaches middle school football and some of his players play for select teams which the parents pay. The problem he's seen is that these amateur wannabe coaches do nothing to develop these kids! He had a kid who was a LB and did not know how to read his keys and was out of position during games. He said his select coach told him just to react and couldn't understand why my son was trying to get him to do something different. Do you really want a UPS driver teaching your son the fundamentals of football? This is what the Texas H.S. coaches are fighting. These select teams are only in it to line their pockets and set themselves up to affect recruiting.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 14, 2017, 12:30:24 pm
You can call me superficial in you like. I'm not naive enough to think the teams with the most talent always should win. It's never happened in the history of sports and it never will happen. But if someone is 2nd in the country in wins over their tenure they didn't "underperform." That is message board talk and it's meaningless. That's like saying Saban has underperformed. He's had more talent than anybody since after his 2nd year. Should he be undefeated the past 7-8 years? I'd love to hear your thoughts on LSU, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan and several other programs over that time frame.

Saban has coached his team to 5 and won 4 NCs in a MUCH tougher conference/division.  A little different than Fisher's resume at FSU.  FSU only has 1 appearance in a NC game.  And, again, they also have a much easier road.