Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RANKING CFB FAN HAPPINESS - Arkansas #93

Started by RME, August 22, 2017, 12:30:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Out of 128 teams.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20369846/ranking-happiness-every-college-football-fan-base-2017?sf108300231=1

Fan Happiness Index Methodology:

Program power - combination of strength of records from 2012 - 2016 and current FPI compared to recent history

Rivalry dominance - combination of wins above expectation over rivals in past 5 seasons and how a team's FPI compares to its rivals'

Coaching stability - how close a coach is to being fired, based on Phil Steele's coaching stability rankings

Recruiting trend - difference in percentage of five-, four-, and three-star recruits in current class vs. expectation

Revenue growth - difference between revenue earned in 2016 season relative to 2012-2015 average

Twitter buzz - percentage of tweets from fans that are positive, based on social media sentiment analysis

Me thinks it's not that bad overall. Me thinks they just read Hogville. Then again, a lot of it is based since 2012 and, well...you know

Pinto

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

3 of the 6 measures are going to be low based on being a small state.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

No darn.  Rebuilding in the SEC isn't fun.  This covered 2012 - 2016 which started off as a crapshow for us.  Some fans can handle it and understand the situation and many can't. 

Personally, I'm still not over the last 2 games last season.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 12:40:52 pm

Based on what? Plenty of Texas schools ranked in the 90-128 range. Plenty of smaller state schools ranked in the top 30.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 12:45:55 pm
Based on what? Plenty of Texas schools ranked in the 90-128 range. Plenty of smaller state schools ranked in the top 30.

Rivalry dominance - not sure who they pegged that for us ( cant open the link right now ). Recruiting - thats been talked about plenty. Twitter Buzz - not as many people around to tweet about the hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

"... and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from millenials."
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2017, 01:51:31 pm
"... and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from millenials."

I fail to see any relevance. Help me out here.

ATU HOG

Ha.. joke's on them!!  Put those GPAs up there and watch how far we'd climb

bphi11ips

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2017, 02:00:45 pm
Amen

Or continue to be vague. The only relevance I can find relating to your statement which you're too frightened to expand upon was that you checked my profile to see my age and then attempted to grasp at a way you could equate an ESPN article with my age.

I neither wrote nor researched the poll. I simply found it and shared it.

Lord, deliver us from the self-righteous, holier-than-thou, enabling, and economically-destructive Boomers. Amen.

Now that that's out of the way, what'd you think of the research and methodology pertaining to the poll, Mr. Phillips?

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 02:03:07 pm
Or continue to be vague. The only relevance I can find relating to your statement which you're too frightened to expand upon was that you checked my profile to see my age and then attempted to grasp at a way you could equate an ESPN article with my age.

I neither wrote nor researched the poll. I simply found it and shared it.

Lord, deliver us from the self-righteous, holier-than-thou, enabling, and economically-destructive Boomers. Amen.

Now that that's out of the way, what'd you think of the research and methodology pertaining to the poll, Mr. Phillips?

Lighten up, Francis. Your age never occurred to me, but Ms. Kelly's did.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2017, 02:12:11 pm
Lighten up, Francis. Your age never occurred to me, but Ms. Kelly's did.

So about the methodology and us being ranked as the 93rd happiest...

wachhog

Louisville's #5 and we're #93.
Yep. about right.

wachhog

Louisville is in such a gigantic state. Got it.

hogsanity

Quote from: wachhog on August 22, 2017, 02:23:39 pm
Louisville is in such a gigantic state. Got it.

Well they have 1.5 mil more than Arkansas. Louisville has a population of 250K.

Tusks

I can't think of a whole lot to be happy about over the last 5 years with regards to the football program.  A few happy nuggets here or there but there's just as many WTH moments.

Maybe this is the bottom and the program is going to start moving up.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RME

Quote from: tusked on August 22, 2017, 02:38:05 pm
I can't think of a whole lot to be happy about over the last 5 years with regards to the football program.  A few happy nuggets here or there but there's just as many WTH moments.

Maybe this is the bottom and the program is going to start moving up.

I agree. After reading through the methodology descriptions and seeing most of their data comes from 2012 to now, our ranking could be justified, but I don't think it's that bad. I have no doubt we're moving up.

I'll say this: We suffered through a scandal and JLS while A&M has just straight up blown their seasons. They're ranked 91st I believe, with nothing near the stuff we've been through. They've just blown it late in their seasons. Would suck to be a fan of them.

The 2012 and 2013 seasons, and the 2 games to end last season definitely don't help. But I wouldn't say it's that bad. But like I said in my original post, one look through Hogville would probably justify that ranking. Luckily there exists a world of fandom outside of here.

WilsonHog

Damn. I didn't even know I was supposed to be miserable.

azhog10

Love your excuses for this program.....

hawgon

Relax, Jeff Long is happy and football is fun again.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on August 22, 2017, 02:54:52 pm
Love your excuses for this program.....

Is or is not Arkansas a small state?

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on August 22, 2017, 02:55:56 pm

Football is fun if you watch it for that fact. If you gain some sort of personal self worth from the results of kids on Friday nights or young men on Saturdays, well that's a whole different story.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hawgon on August 22, 2017, 02:55:56 pm
This ranking is ridiculous.  And football should be fun.  Not life or death.  We have great facilities and the game day experience is awesome.  The team is competitive and wins more than it loses.  Fans desperately need some perspective.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2017, 02:58:56 pm

Fans desperately need some perspective.

BINGO, but I now fear for your safety.

hogfan14

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 02:56:29 pm
Is or is not Arkansas a small state?

The twitter buzz says it is based on percentages though, not amount

RME

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2017, 02:58:56 pm
This ranking is ridiculous.  And football should be fun.  Not life or death.  We have great facilities and the game day experience is awesome.  The team is competitive and wins more than it loses.  Fans desperately need some perspective.

I don't disagree with you. I don't think this poll is reflective of the fanbase as a whole. Rather, I interpret it as data being used to project what our fanbase should feel like based on their methodology, not what we actually feel like.

But, like I've said a couple times, one glance through Hogville could lead an outsider to believe we're the unhappiest fans in the country.

DeltaBoy

No doubt the last 2 games of last season just sucked.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wachhog on August 22, 2017, 02:21:33 pm
Louisville's #5 and we're #93.
Yep. about right.

Louisville from 2012 - 16:

Strong 12-1 W Sugar Bowl
Strong 11-2 W Russell Bowl
Petrino 9-4 L Belk
Petrino 8-5 W Music City
Petrino 9-4 L Citrus

Can understand why they have been happy in this time period.

Had this been from 2007-11:

Kragthorpe 6-6
Krag 5-7
Krag 4-8
Strong 7-6
Strong 7-6

They probably weren't nearly as happy.  Rebuilding and turnover does that to a fan base. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 03:06:09 pm

But, like I've said a couple times, one glance through Hogville could lead an outsider to believe we're the unhappiest fans in the country.

I think they are very unhappy, but I think it has little to do with football.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 03:06:09 pm
I don't disagree with you. I don't think this poll is reflective of the fanbase as a whole. Rather, I interpret it as data being used to project what our fanbase should feel like based on their methodology, not what we actually feel like.

Yeah I kind of figured that out about the methodology after I typed.  The ranking seems to be ridiculous on multiple levels.

There's no way that the Arkansas fan base should be more unhappy than Ole Miss with all their problems, Vandy (perpetual doormat), South Carolina (perpetual underachiever).  Even Missouri with their small taste of success recently.

daBoar

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 12:30:28 pm

Me thinks it's not that bad overall. Me thinks they just read Hogville. Then again, a lot of it is based since 2012 and, well...you know
Actually it's an improvement over last season's rushing defense.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
So about the methodology and us being ranked as the 93rd happiest...

The premise that "fan happiness" can be quantified by formula is asinine, sort of like the myriad "advanced stats" sprouting like weeds on the football landscape. Football isn't that complicated.

Who decided what each team's 5, 4 and 3 star expectations are?  Besides, the real football coaches (like ours) know the difference between a prospect camp and a beauty pageant. They don't need no stinkin' stars.

What is "social media sentiment analysis"?  LOL. People need jobs. Tiffany Kelly was just doing hers, God bless her.

Who determined our rivals? Do we have one?

Why is the analysis limited to the last five years?  Is this a trend analysis or a lifetime analysis?

Like posters on Hogville, ESPN writers are looking for something to occupy their time until the season starts. Anticipation is building.  Poor Ms. Kelly drew the short straw. 

You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. Would you rather be an Appalachian State fan or an Arkansas fan?  How about Arkansas State?  Kentucky?

You could reach the same results by looking at recent performance vs. history within living memory. My memory is different than yours, but collectively, the Razorbacks fans who built and support and engender future generations' support dates to the 50's. In the last five years, Arkansas had a 17-game conference losing streak. Seventeen.  That was as shocking to boomer fan systems as an eclipse was to a native American. So - yeah, the trend is we haven't been as happy lately as we were in, say, 1968, or 1975, or 1977, or 1988 or 89 (when there was plenty of grumbling), or 1998 or 2006 or 2010 or 2011.  It's no great trick to figure we might be a bit down by historic standards.

If Ms. Kelly were able to look behind the curtain in an analysis that wasn't based upon factors designed to make the analysis appear "objective", she'd see a fanbase anxiously awaiting a season full of rivalries. She'd see construction to expand seating capacity.  She'd see a university that has expanded rapidly in part because of student desire to go to a school where big time football is part of the college experience. 

"Methodology" like Ms. Kelly's removed the human element, and human experience, from analysis.  She was given an impossible assignment. There's no way to quantify and rank "happiness" in 128 fanbases.  But if there were, Arkansas fans would rank much higher than 93, if a weather vane were the only factor.

Does that answer your question?

Wildhog

I don't know about the rest of the fanbase, but I do know I'm not happy with our football program.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on August 22, 2017, 03:13:15 pm
I don't know about the rest of the fanbase, but I do know I'm not happy with our football program.

No rational person would be.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2017, 03:11:58 pm
The premise that "fan happiness" can be quantified by formula is asinine, sort of like the myriad "advanced stats" sprouting like weeds on the football landscape. Football isn't that complicated.

Who decided what each team's 5, 4 and 3 star expectations are?  Besides, the real football coaches (like ours) know the difference between a prospect camp and a beauty pageant. They don't need no stinkin' stars.

What is "social media sentiment analysis"?  LOL. People need jobs. Tiffany Kelly was just doing hers, God bless her.

Who determined our rivals? Do we have one?

Why is the analysis limited to the last five years?  Is this a trend analysis or a lifetime analysis?

Like posters on Hogville, ESPN writers are looking for something to occupy their time until the season starts. Anticipation is building.  Poor Ms. Kelly drew the short straw. 

You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. Would you rather be an Appalachian State fan or an Arkansas fan?  How about Arkansas State?  Kentucky?

You could reach the same results by looking at recent performance vs. history within living memory. My memory is different than yours, but collectively, the Razorbacks fans who built and support and engender future generations' support dates to the 50's. In the last five years, Arkansas had a 17-game conference losing streak. Seventeen.  That was as shocking to boomer fan systems as an eclipse was to a native American. So - yeah, the trend is we haven't been as happy lately as we were in, say, 1968, or 1975, or 1977, or 1988 or 89 (when there was plenty of grumbling), or 1998 or 2006 or 2010 or 2011.  It's no great trick to figure we might be a bit down by historic standards.

If Ms. Kelly were able to look behind the curtain in an analysis that wasn't based upon factors designed to make the analysis appear "objective", she'd see a fanbase anxiously awaiting a season full of rivalries. She'd see construction to expand seating capacity.  She'd see a university that has expanded rapidly in part because of student desire to go to a school where big time football is part of the college experience. 

"Methodology" like Ms. Kelly's removed the human element, and human experience, from analysis.  She was given an impossible assignment. There's no way to quantify and rank "happiness" in 128 fanbases.  But if there were, Arkansas fans would rank much higher than 93, if a weather vane were the only factor.

Does that answer your question?

It does! And it echoes pretty much what I said a couple posts ago about the data projecting how our fans should feel and not how they actually feel. That being said, I'm in 100% agreement with the statement of yours that I bolded.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on August 22, 2017, 03:15:30 pm
No rational person would be.

why not, they are 0-0 for 2017 and have a chance to win it all.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 03:17:24 pm
why not, they are 0-0 for 2017 and have a chance to win it all.

So is Kansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

mizzouman

Again with these silly rankings.  They mean nothing.  So called journalist have nothing better to do.

moses_007

What fan could be happy with CBB's 25-26 overall record and 10-22 in the SEC?  Are you happy with this?  Would you be content with more of the same?  I know I'm not, and that Arkansas can do a lot better than this with the right coach.

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on August 22, 2017, 03:20:08 pm
Again with these silly rankings.  They mean nothing.  So called journalist have nothing better to do.

They drive clicks and views to the page. That results in monetization. To you, they might mean nothing. To an analytics consultant/associate, like those who designed the research, they mean something. Preseason Top 25 polls have been around awhile, too. While meaningless, they aren't going anywhere.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: moses_007 on August 22, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
What fan could be happy with CBB's 25-26 overall record and 10-22 in the SEC?  Are you happy with this?  Would you be content with more of the same?  I know I'm not, and that Arkansas can do a lot better than this with the right coach.

I would be a little more content had last season ended 9-4.  Not as concerned if it had ended up 8-5.  Do not give one darn what happened in 2013 or what the record was. 

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 03:27:20 pm
They drive clicks and views to the page. That results in monetization. To you, they might mean nothing. To an analytics consultant/associate, like those who designed the research, they mean something. Preseason Top 25 polls have been around awhile, too. While meaningless, they aren't going anywhere.
Understood, but we drive it.  So, if we don't click it, they'll stop doing it.  But we, as fans, have a hard time NOT looking at it.  It's addictive but at the same time, means absolutely NOTHING.

Now, I do have a problem with the preseason top 25 because it's often wrong, but yet these schools get a lot of air time until they fall out and recruits see it.  I've often advocated that polls should not come out until week 5 or 6.

bphi11ips

Quote from: moses_007 on August 22, 2017, 03:21:37 pm

Put the record in context and you'll feel better. Someone had to stop the bleeding. Bielema is 10-9 in the SEC since ending the 17 game conference skid against LSU in 2014. He has a 5th year senior QB who threw for 3500 yards last year leading an offense full of four star recruits. He has a veteran secondary and a bunch of four stars in the front seven two-deep. 

The season is about to start. We play 9 games that promise to be exciting.  What's to be unhappy about?

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on August 22, 2017, 03:32:29 pm
Understood, but we drive it.  So, if we don't click it, they'll stop doing it.  But we, as fans, have a hard time NOT looking at it.  It's addictive but at the same time, means absolutely NOTHING.

Yeahhhh but if it's lunchtime at work and football is literally around the corner, and you see an ESPN article with this title, you're telling me you wouldn't be a tiiiiny bit curious just to click it and see where Mizzou is? Haha.

EastexHawg

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2017, 03:36:22 pm
Yeahhhh but if it's lunchtime at work and football is literally around the corner, and you see an ESPN article with this title, you're telling me you wouldn't be a tiiiiny bit curious just to click it and see where Mizzou is? Haha.
No I'll click it.  But, I don't put stock in it.  If Mizzou is ranked high or low or whatever, I don't get mad or excited because I already know it's wrong. 

So, read all you want but don't get worked up about it.

moses_007

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 22, 2017, 03:33:56 pm
Put the record in context and you'll feel better. Someone had to stop the bleeding. Bielema is 10-9 in the SEC since ending the 17 game conference skid against LSU in 2014. He has a 5th year senior QB who threw for 3500 yards last year leading an offense full of four star recruits. He has a veteran secondary and a bunch of four stars in the front seven two-deep. 

The season is about to start. We play 9 games that promise to be exciting.  What's to be unhappy about?
We'll see how this season goes, but we have only one returning receiver and one returning running back from last year's roster.  If it turns out like CBB's first season, fans will be pressuring Jeff Long to fire him.  If by some stroke of luck, the season turn out to be respectible, the pressure will be off.........