Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou basketball and transfers

Started by exit19, March 10, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247  6m
FINAL IN KNOXVILLE: Tennessee 72, Missouri 45. #Vols with big blowout (for many reasons) on Senior Day.

#Vols win final three SEC games by a combined 95 points.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  10h
Updated gamer from Knoxville: Vols throttle Tigers in a historically bad day for Mizzou http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/vols-throttle-mizzou-in-regular-season-finale/article_b2708570-5649-5d44-80fd-59e43f280c91.html ...

QuoteTennessee jackhammered the Tigers 72-45, Mizzou's most futile scoring day in 17 years.

If an NCAA Tournament spot was indeed up for grabs between Mizzou and Tennessee, the Volunteers (20-11, 11-7) wasted little time securing their place in the field of 68.

The Tigers? They looked more suited for that other postseason tournament.

And short of winning four games in four days at next week's SEC Tournament, that's likely where they'll land — settling for the National Invitation Tournament for the first time since 2005.

Can a team that hasn't won more than three consecutive games since December pull off four straight in Atlanta as the No. 8 seed?

"We ain't got a choice," Brown said after scoring a season-low eight points, "so I think we will."

That might be wishful thinking, especially with Mizzou's path in the bracket. If the Tigers can get past No. 9 seed Texas A&M (17-14, 8-10) in Thursday's noon tip-off, they'll get top-seeded and top-ranked Florida (29-2, 18-0) on Friday at the Georgia Dome.

Gulp.

"We'll see," Missouri coach Frank Haith said after his team finished 2-7 in SEC road games for the second straight year.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik  12h
The 45 points #Mizzou finished with were its lowest total since a 45-42 win over DePaul in the 1997 Maui Invitational.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·31s
Clarkson bucket & two FTs puts MU ahead 72-68. Mizzou on a 8-0 run since Caruso's 3 late in regulation

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·9s
Overtime No. 2 coming up. Who wants this game least?

I thought the Mizzou player would just step on his foot and draw the foul just b/4 the buzzer.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·26s
Final: Missouri 91, Texas A&M 83. Tigers face No. 1 Florida in the quarterfinals at noon CT tomorrow

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·8 mins
A&M has just two FGs in the overtime sessions. Tigers pulling away - finally

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·53 secs
Caruso finishes with game-high 28 points. Brown with 26 to lead Mizzou. Ross with 24. Williams III with 11 pts, 15 rebounds

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·7 mins
Missouri made 40 of 53 free throws, two off the team record of 42

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·5 hrs
Final: Florida 72, Missouri 49. Brown leads all scorers with 18 points. Tigers fall to 22-11 and all but certainly headed to NIT

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·3 hrs
Jabari Brown on bracket talk: I'm tired hearing about this 'first team out' and all that stuff. It's annoying. We'll just see when it comes.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·2 mins
As @Steve_Walentik reported earlier, Columbia PD confirms arrests of Mizzou guards Clark & Rector, & football players Penton & Rupert

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·2 mins
Four athletes arrested for marijuana possession after traffic stop. Rupert driving with expired license plate Saturday night in Columbia

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik ·19m
#Mizzou's Clark, Rector arrested for marijuana along with football players Penton, Rupert - Columbia Daily Tribune: http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/clark-rector-arrested-for-marijuana/article_e8548bec-adfd-11e3-922f-001a4bcf6878.html?_dc=492635759990.66235#.Uyc4VB9P8Y4.twitter ...

Mizzou News ‏@UMizzouNews ·14 hrs
Bernie: Mizzou basketball drifts into mediocrity http://bit.ly/1oeUqVL

deserthog

Bud Walton looks like a sell-out compared to Missouri's arena!

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  Mar 23
Haith on Brown & Clarkson considering NBA draft: "I want them to get good information. ... Hopefully we'll be a part of that process."

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter  Mar 23
Haith talked about lack of depth in backcourt, mentioned Jankovic & Webster-Chan as guys who would have played a lot this year

jbcarol

Brown, Clarkson unsure if they'll enter NBA draft

QuoteMizzou juniors Jabari Brown and Jordan Clarkson:

"I'm not thinking about that right now," Brown said. "We just lost, and that's the only thing on my mind right now."

"I really haven't thought about it recently," Clarkson said of his draft decision. "I'll probably just talk to Coach and my family if that time comes."

JackJohnson

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik ·17m
Clarkson to declare for NBA draft - Columbia Daily Tribune | Columbia Missouri: MU Basketball: http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/clarkson-to-declare-for-nba-draft/article_8ce945ca-b8e5-11e3-a28d-001a4bcf6878.html

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison ·3 mins
Kind of interesting that [Jabari] Brown is leaving open the possibility of withdrawing his name before the April 15 deadline, where Clarkson did not.

Two of the Mizzou transfers plan to leave early. Earnest Ross completed his eligibility.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter ·3 mins
New at STLtoday: Missouri's Zach Price arrested on suspicion of assault http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-s-price-arrested-for-assault/article_34700eff-c72b-55f7-8274-97230854ee60.html ...

Price is the third Missouri player arrested in three weeks. Freshman guards Wes Clark and Shane Rector were arrested in Columbia March 15 for marijuana possession. Both were suspended for MU's first game in the National Invitation Tournament, though Rector was reinstated for the second-round game.

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik  Apr 18
Blog: Rosburg discusses Haith's departure: http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/courtside_view/rosburg-discusses-haith-s-departure/article_d76594a6-c73a-11e3-ad45-001a4bcf6878.html ...

QuoteOn whether his teammates will stay or leave the university...

"I think I'm the biggest example, I'm a St. Louis kid, born in Missouri. I've been a Mizzou fan my entire life. This morning, even with everything going on, I looked in my closet and I was proud to put on a Missouri shirt."

On the text message that carried the news from Haith...

"I'm sure he is very busy, I can't blame the man, I'm sure we will have a talk. I support Frank Haith, he brought me here. I came here because it's Missouri, but he had a lot to do with it also."

jbcarol

Mizzou in good company:

David Jones ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat  Apr 26
The #Gators addition Jon Horford means 2014-15 hoops roster includes 5 players of 13 scholarships who transferred from another school.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h 
Kim:  "It's not a criticism of anyone but I just want to build with HS seniors and the occaisonal plug-in ..."

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  2h

Ricky Kreklow, Cal transfer, tells me, Mizzou has shown interest. "I'm definitely going to listen and am interested in the possibility. "

jbcarol

Jeff Gordon @gordoszone  ·  May 13
Yes, the Mizzou basketball team took in another transfer player. No, the world did not come to an end.... http://fb.me/2eV1npCe0

QuoteA coach shouldn't limit his options when it comes to team building.

Hence the decision to welcome Keith Shamburger from the University of Hawaii for next season. If he graduates as expected and gains clearance to play next season, he will give the Tigers a welcome pass-first point guard for one season.

The Tigers return only two guards from last season's team, Wes Clark and Shane Rector. Clark played extensively at point guard by Rector made only sporadic appearances.

Duece Bello, a Baylor transfer recruited by Haith, will be eligible to play in the fall semester. He is an off-guard who ran some point in practice for the past year. He has the tools to become an excellent defender and exciting transition scorer.

Cameron Biedscheid, a Notre Dame transfer recruited by Haith, will be eligible to play starting after the fall semester. He is a natural shooting guard with deep range.

Shooting guard Namon Wright, a Top 100 high school recruit out of Los Angeles, signed a letter of intent with Haith but requested the ability to shop other schools. Maybe he will come to Missouri, maybe not.

At the moment the only incoming freshmen are forwards, Gant and Allen.

So Shamburger would come in handy...

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  6h
PG Shane Rector transferring from Missouri program - Columbia Daily Tribune | Columbia Missouri: MU Basketball: http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/rector-transferring-from-missouri-program/article_20d94a00-dd30-11e3-b149-0017a43b2370.html ...

thegrizz

Quote from: jbcarol on May 14, 2014, 03:20:19 pm
Jeff Gordon @gordoszone  ·  May 13
Yes, the Mizzou basketball team took in another transfer player. No, the world did not come to an end.... http://fb.me/2eV1npCe0

This is the kind of transfer I like. Will be a grad student, I assume would like a year playing better competition. Not transferring cuz he had issues of some sort. But lets not get Haith crazy, lets just take one from time to time not three a year.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  26m
ESPN's Chad Ford has Missouri's Jordan Clarkson ranked No 32 among draft prospects after combine. Jabari Brown at No 48

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  5h
There aren't a lot of options for #Mizzou still available at this late stage of recruiting. Tigers could seek another graduate transfer.

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  5h
#Mizzou still in market for another PG with Wes Clark only 1 currently on roster. Hawaii transfer Keith Shamburger has pledged to join him.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  17h
Mizzou hoops at STLtoday: Shelton Mitchell picks Vandy, but MU radar lands on Seattle point guard http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-radar-shifts-to-seattle-point-guard/article_a5d46570-2c32-54f6-8328-275388c4c410.html ...

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  · 
Tramaine Isabell says Mizzou has "made it very clear" it wants a point guard for 2014 class. He confirms he's down to MU & Providence

Isabell's family is from Mississippi, so he's familiar with the SEC. Plans to visit Columbia in early to mid June.

jbcarol

Q for Kim Anderson: How important do you think it is at this point to add another ball-handler, particularly with Shane Rector transferring out?

But the guards, especially the point guard slot, is right now just Wes (Clark). I'm not opposed to adding two more. As a matter of fact, I would like to add two more, and I kind of always live by that theory that if you can't get the ball up the floor, you're not going to be able to throw it to any of the big guys. So it wouldn't surprise me if we sign two more point guards. I think sometimes we get hung up on point guard, two-guard, three-man or whatever. I think guards can play together. We played last year at Central Missouri with two point guards a lot of the time. Sometimes we had three point guards in the game. Now, I understand, it's a little bit different animal here that we're dealing with. But with the way we want to play, I think the more ball-handlers that we have in the game, the better we can be for everybody else. ...

I think Wes is good. I think Wes is a guy who can certainly help us out. But it's like I've told a lot of people, you can't just play with one. That one guy's not going to play 40 minutes every game.

jbcarol

Dave MatterVerified account@Dave_Matter
... Q&A with Tim Fuller RT @stltoday: Mizzou hoops: 'We're not doing transfers' ...

jbcarol

Jordan Clarkson and Jabari Brown

Two years ago the two barely knew each other, but today family illnesses have created a bond between the two which will be impossible to duplicate in the future.

QuoteTheir bond was sealed over a hellish 34-day stretch in which Clarkson and Brown—a pair of transfer guards who became Missouri's leading scorers—found out their fathers had cancer and decided the best thing they could do was be quiet, be strong and only show vulnerability within the walls of the apartment they shared together in Columbia, Missouri.

Clarkson was told about his father's rare form of spinal cancer right after Mizzou's loss to Kentucky, and Brown later found out about his father's stomach Cancer. The two hide their emotions from their teammates as a way to not affect the team; however the roommates were able to turn to each other for comfort in their time of need.

They kept it out of the public eye as well. Brown and Clarkson were in the top seven scorers in the SEC this past season and tried to not let the public know anything was wrong. However, Clarkson never seemed to play the same after the Kentucky game. His 45% shot percentage dropped to 38% after the news, according to coach Frank Haith.

"It was drastically affecting him . He was frustrated, he was pressing, he was all over the place. He still had some good moments, but he was not the same confident player he was when we saw him play against UCLA or Kentucky or any of those teams."

Mike Clarkson had surgery to remove tumors and David Brown is still going through treatments to treat his...

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  Jun 26
Updated #Mizzou NBA draft story at STLtoday, with comments from Lakers GM on Clarkson http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/lakers-land-mu-s-clarkson-in-draft-trade/article_581afd01-b964-58d5-a0b9-49365a032e18.html ...

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  Jun 26
For the second year in a row, Missouri guard leaves school early and goes undrafted. Worked out OK for Phil Pressey with Boston last year

Jabari Brown will have to settle for a summer league contract or tryout.

Los Angeles Lakers @Lakers  ·  Jun 26
Kupchak on Jordan Clarkson: "We had him higher on our draft board. Good size, good defender, excels in attacking the rim."

Joins Julius Randle as two SEC players going to the Lakers.

jbcarol

Mizzou transfer Shane Rector has decided where he will be continuing his basketball career.

The former three-star recruit is headed to Miami-Dade CC (Darnell Dodson, Eloy Vargas, et al).

QuoteRector was a freshman at Missouri last season, but with Jordan Clarkson and Wes Clark ahead of him in the point guard rotation, he only averaged 0.5 points and 4.6 minutes per game.

"I appreciate Coach [Kim] Anderson and the administration at Missouri for supporting me as I look for a new opportunity," Rector said at the time. "This was a difficult decision because I have made some great friends during my time here. Mizzou is a great University with great people. This was just a personal decision that my family and I felt was in my best interest."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ashley Zavala@ZavalaA
Ex-Mizzou forward Torren Jones has signed with Midland College, a JUCO in Texas, according to @JucoRecruiting

jbcarol

Bret McCormick @Bretjust1T  ·  3h

#Winthrop makes it official with press release: 6-10 big man Zach Price has joined Pat Kelsey's program as a transfer from #mizzou

secfan30

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  Oct 1
Hawaii transfer Keith Shamburger said his goal for his senior year is to make it to the NCAA Tournament. He didn't at Hawaii or San Jose St.

Shamburger said he expects to spend a lot of time playing alongside Wes Clark, giving the Tigers two ball-handlers on the court at once.

#Mizzou G Keith Shamburger described a stressful experience waiting to find out he'd been cleared to play this season with Tigers.

Shamburger said he grew worried after SEC denied Eric McKnight's bid to play at Tennessee after transferring from Florida Gulf Coast.

Shamburger had to first be cleared by NCAA as graduate transfer, then the SEC had to sign off on him playing right away for #Mizzou.

Shamburger was not allowed to work out or watch #Mizzou workouts while waiting to be cleared, so he had to practice on his own.

jbcarol

Haith's strategy of relying on four-year transfers to restock the roster and keep Missouri relevant after the core of its 2011-12 team — Marcus Denmon, Kim English and Ricardo Ratliffe — exhausted its eligibility has been picked apart over the past two seasons.

But it remains difficult to take issue with the initial results. Transfers Alex Oriakhi, Keion Bell, Earnest Ross and Jabari Brown teamed with holdovers Phil Pressey and Laurence Bowers to help Missouri win 23 games in 2013 and get invited to a fifth straight NCAA Tournament, even if it ended abruptly with a lopsided opening-round loss to Colorado State.

The problems didn't really show up until after that season...

Quote"If you rely heavily on transfers, which Missouri did — and they were awfully good players — you have to replenish your roster with either more transfers or high-level recruits," Fran Fraschilla said.

Haith and his staff didn't do a good enough job of either one.

They did plug Tulsa transfer Jordan Clarkson between Brown and Ross last season and watched the trio lead Missouri to 23 victories and another postseason appearance, albeit in the National Invitation Tournament. But Clarkson left after averaging 17.5 points in his only season and became a second-round NBA draft pick.

When Missouri also lost Brown after the season, it didn't have another established transfer waiting in the wings.

"That's where you have this huge disconnect right now between where Missouri's been over the last five or six years with their talent level and where they are now," Fraschilla said.

Deuce Bello had difficulty cracking the rotation for two seasons at Baylor and has continued to be a bit player during his first season with the Tigers, averaging 10.9 minutes per game.

He's playing more than former junior college All-American center Keanau Post. Haith had raved about his skill when he signed his letter of intent in April 2013, but he's yet to average more than 2.0 points and 2.0 rebounds since donning the black and gold.

Louisville transfer Zach Price and Notre Dame transfer Cameron Biedscheid both left the program without playing because of off-the-court issues.

Haith wasn't much more successful bringing in high-impact high school prospects with the specter of an NCAA investigation hanging over him from his days at Miami until last season.

Too often, the players he did sign left without leaving much of a mark. That was true for signees Negus Webster-Chan, Stefan Jankovic and Domonique Bull, who all made only modest contributions before bolting after one season — or, in the case of Jankovic, after the first three games of his sophomore season.

Last year's freshman class has already been cut in half with Shane Rector and Torren Jones both transferring — Jones after his August dismissal.

jbcarol

Hawaii Athletics @HawaiiAthletics  ·  Dec 26
ICYMI - Negus Webster-Chan's floater with :22 left helped #HawaiiMBB defeat Colorado 69-66 in the 3rd...
http://instagram.com/p/xEMbmbhL6c/

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  3 hours ago

Here's a recap of this week's Courtside View live chat. As always, thanks to everyone who submitted questions. http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/courtsid

QuoteI'll get things started with a question submitted via Twitter. @miztigers78 asked: Hard to answer but how many transfers do you see?

I know this is something on a lot of people's minds for obvious reasons. I envision at least one and maybe two but not more than that. I say one for sure because the coaching staff seems to be gearing up to add at least two more players to this recruiting class and has only one open scholarship. So they're counting on a defection. I wouldn't be surprised if more than one guy leaves. But I have a hard time seeing a mass exodus from the roster.

I know players transfer, but typically as a last resort. They don't like to sit out. Nobody's happy with losing, but I don't think anybody could be too unhappy with his role, and there will be opportunities to continue play bigger and bigger minutes if they stick it out. The team does have a chance to grow and get better together...

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  17 hours ago

Anderson: "Hopefully, the freshmen will grow up to be juniors, but they'll be sophomores."

Anderson said he thinks #Mizzou could take another graduate transfer, a la Keith Shamburger

Anderson: "I think guys always look for a chance to play." Said there's opportunities to come in and play right away at #Mizzou.

Anderson has said #Mizzou needs to add a post player. Said there are some out there, but not a lot. It's easier to find guards.

jbcarol

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Sportscast: #Mizzou's Johnathan Williams III reportedly considering a move out of Columbia. http://www.abc17news.com/sports/sportscast-williams-iii-on-the-move

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  21h 21 hours ago

Just spoke with Johnathan Williams III's father, Johnny Williams, and he said he's definitely transferring and has asked #Mizzou for release

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Missouri announces Johnathan Williams and Deuce Bello both transferring.

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Anderson said with remaining scholarships he needs to add another scoring wing.

Anderson would also like to add a combo guard and a big man.

Anderson said #Mizzou could look at fifth-year transfer ala Keith Shamburger and could also look at a transfer who has to sit out a year.

jbcarol

Eric Bossi @ebosshoops  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Iowa State transfer Clayton Custer tells me he has visits next four weekends. In order of visits, Creighton, Loyola, Mizzou, Wichita State

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Last RT means ISU transfer Clayton Custer will be at #Mizzou weekend of May 1