Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which SEC West program is most likely to win an SEC Championship first?

Started by razorjack12, July 30, 2013, 03:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

No team on this list has won the SEC.  Which program will be the first to do so?

Arkansas
85 (60.7%)
Texas A&M
48 (34.3%)
Ole Miss
6 (4.3%)
Miss St.
0 (0%)
Anal State
0 (0%)
Boofoo U
1 (0.7%)
Obsessive-Compulsive Tech
0 (0%)
South Can't-Stop-Posting-Same-darn A&I
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: August 29, 2013, 03:05:20 pm

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: tusked on August 10, 2013, 08:24:47 pm
not necessarily next year but the next SEC team that hasn't won a NC since 92 to win their next NC in the next 10-15 years will be GA....then the Hogs and then maybe South Carolina....A/M is A/M....all you young guns will learn about the aggs over your lifetime....for those of us that go back to the SWC days....we know what the aggies can do.....not much.

You mean the sleeping giant, super storm, SEC's worst nightmare, Arkansas' bane, Jesus de foosbawl is really just aTm..?!?   I have been holding that in for a while, but I too have been laughing at the aTM fear around here...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HG

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 10, 2013, 08:32:49 pm
The ACC might end the SEC's run this season.  It might be Clemson.  Clemson has recruited really well over the last 3 recruiting classes, they have upgraded their Defensive Coordinator position in a major way (I won't say the name of the DC they hired in Jan. 2012), they have upgraded their Secondary Coach position (their new Secondary Coach is Mike Reed, who coached in the NFL; Reed coached 9 time Pro Bowl selection, Brian Dawkins, at the Philadelphia Eagles), and Clemson's Defensive Line Coach (Dan Brooks) was the DL Coach for John Chavis for 14 years when Chavis was the DC at Tennessee.

Regarding Clemson's recruiting, the following was their recruiting class national ranking for 2011-2013 (information from Rivals.com).

2011   #8
2012   #14
2013   #14

Clemson has 3 Assistant Football Coaches who have coached in a total of 7 National Championship games  ("I won't name their Defensive Coordinator" in 4, Pearman in 2, and Brooks in 1).   

I'm not seeing Clemson.  They need a defense that can finish better than 63rd in the nation in a weak conference.  I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that's far worse than even the worst BCS champion.  If any ACC team has a shot, it would be FSU, where they actually play defense.

Break & Run

Quote from: HG on August 11, 2013, 11:09:38 am
I'm not seeing Clemson.  They need a defense that can finish better than 63rd in the nation in a weak conference.  I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that's far worse than even the worst BCS champion.  If any ACC team has a shot, it would be FSU, where they actually play defense.

Well, Florida State just lost their DC to Kentucky's HC job.  Mark Stoops was the reason that defense was so good.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

HG

Quote from: Break & Run on August 11, 2013, 11:20:54 am
Well, Florida State just lost their DC to Kentucky's HC job.  Mark Stoops was the reason that defense was so good.

But he inspired a culture, man.  A culture!

Okay, I got nothing.  Jimbo is no defensive whiz.  Pruitt may have coached some awesome secondaries, but it remains to be proven that he's any good without Saban.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HG on August 11, 2013, 11:09:38 am

Clemson last season had Secondary starters who missed games due to injury.  Plus, Clemson didn't have a lot of defensive depth.  This season is a different story.  They are rotating 7 Defensive Linemen on just the 1st Team alone.  Regarding their LBs, they will probably be starting a Sr., a Jr., and a Sr. at LB.  Regarding their probable starting Secondary, their Secondary will be a lot better than it was last season.

Additionally, the following are some of the Defensive players Clemson has signed.

http://247sports.com/Player/Carlos-Watkins-9614?Institution=17278

http://247sports.com/Player/MacKensie-Alexander-16241?Institution=9044

http://247sports.com/Player/Dorian-ODaniel-10278?Institution=2514

http://247sports.com/Player/Shaq-Lawson-7541?Institution=5482

http://247sports.com/Player/Cordrea-Tankersley-7801?Institution=5482

The Defensive End, Shaq Lawson, has extremely long arms.  Shaq Lawson is probably a better DE than Robert Nkemdiche.