Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

Quote from: HF#1 on August 07, 2015, 09:08:02 pm
They are the one team getting hype that really shouldn't be getting it.  They are a year or more behind where we are. 

They have a lot of young talent but it's very young and very raw.  I'd compare them to Petrino's 2009 squad but not as good.

Bielema is developing his guys faster than Butch is.  We will be 3-5 wins better than Tennessee
Arkansas had John L Smith for what? 1 season? Tennessee was stuck with Dooley for 3 years. Not the same kind of rebuild. Hogs were WAY ahead of UT in the rebuild when both coaches took over.
Most UT fans have UT with 7-8 wins. The media is building the hype.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 07, 2015, 10:20:24 pm
Tennessee---Wins--Utah St-Ark St-Chatt-USCe-Kent-Vandy and Iowa in their bowl.
In my mind not a very impressive record, especially when you look at the losses.
By 24 to OU
By 31 to Ole Miss
By 14 to Bama(at home)
By 8 to Missouri(at home)
They played Georgia and Florida very close 3 and 1 point losses.
And they played exactly 4 games outside the state of Tennessee.
Was Arkansas better at the beginning of the season or at the end of the season? Just like UT, the Hogs were a much different team at the end of the season. That's what well coached young teams do.

WorfHog

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 10:00:57 am
Arkansas had John L Smith for what? 1 season? Tennessee was stuck with Dooley for 3 years. Not the same kind of rebuild. Hogs were WAY ahead of UT in the rebuild when both coaches took over.

What are you basing that on?

ALLVOL

GuvHog

Truthfully? Tennessee has been trying to rebuild ever since Phil Fulmer was fired. They just haven't been able to find the coach to get it done. The Jury however, is still out on their current coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: GuvHog on August 08, 2015, 10:21:49 am
Truthfully? Tennessee has been trying to rebuild ever since Phil Fulmer was fired. They just haven't been able to find the coach to get it done. The Jury however, is still out on their current coach.
I can agree with that.

hogfan14

Are you familiar with Petrino recruiting?

ALLVOL

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 08, 2015, 10:23:48 am
If you want to compare Petrino to Dooley then you and I cannot have a civil discussion. Besides there is one helluva lot more to rebuilding a program than recruiting.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 08, 2015, 10:23:48 am

Since his last 2 teams at Arkansas finished 10-2 and 11-2 with a top five final ranking. He's not a good example.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: GuvHog on August 08, 2015, 10:30:09 am
Since his last 2 teams at Arkansas finished 10-2 and 11-2 with a top five final ranking. He's not a good example.
LOL I was thinking the exact same thing. And Doofus is considered to be one of if not the worst head coach in SEC history. Petrino would still be at Arkansas if he could keep his hands off of the help. Doofus was ran out of town on a rail. HUGE difference. Hell, John L is a better coach than Doofus was.

ALLVOL

Quote from: gnick4 on August 08, 2015, 10:36:34 am
Dont get too crazy there with slappy the clown.
Oh I understand and not saying John L was great or even good. But Doofus was a historically bad coach.

gmarv

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 10:33:23 am
LOL I was thinking the exact same thing. And Doofus is considered to be one of if not the worst head coach in SEC history. Petrino would still be at Arkansas if he could keep his hands off of the help. Doofus was ran out of town on a rail. HUGE difference. Hell, John L is a better coach than Doofus was.
3 years of doofus football equals 1 year of clown football.i have yet to see anything quite like the year under john L. that team under anybody else ANYBODY... could not of been any worse.a good coach would of won 7-9 games.so I see your doofus and raise with a clown.

ALLVOL

Quote from: gmarv on August 08, 2015, 11:33:30 am
3 years of doofus football equals 1 year of clown football.i have yet to see anything quite like the year under john L. that team under anybody else ANYBODY... could not of been any worse.a good coach would of won 7-9 games.so I see your doofus and raise with a clown.
Really? Not even close

Sir Oinksalot

....I saw the last Tenner game at Fayetteville and thought the Off. was the problem - very predictable and our defense wasn't that good.  If that was Chaney,
he was a big part of the problem.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

jgphillips3

Arkansas is becoming the kind of team I always feared when we played them: a tough, physical, brutal beast of a team that will make you lose your next game even if you manage to beat us.  It's gonna be a fun season.  To beat us, you will have to out talent us badly or count on injuries to us (ala Mizzou) or us to implode (ala Georgia).  Otherwise, it's gonna be a nasty street fight every week.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on August 08, 2015, 01:01:34 pm
....I saw the last Tenner game at Fayetteville and thought the Off. was the problem - very predictable and our defense wasn't that good.  If that was Chaney,
he was a big part of the problem.
Chaney and Sam Pittman were the only good things about Dooley.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 01:25:53 pm
Chaney and Sam Pittman were the only good things about Dooley.

...well hooray!! for us, if your OC is worse than Chaney, cause he sucked that day, imo.

Should be a good measure for Tenner as to where they are since our last win over you
(factoring in how much better our defense is now.)

Lake City Hog

The tread title clearly talks about Tennessee and 10 posts in we get another ignorant post about Petrino. I guess that I just don't understand the need to continue to drag crap up from 3 years ago.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on August 08, 2015, 01:51:13 pm
...well hooray!! for us, if your OC is worse than Chaney, cause he sucked that day, imo.

Should be a good measure for Tenner as to where they are since our last win over you
(factoring in how much better our defense is now.)

Ok, so tell me how you got that from my post? Kind of a leap there sir.
Now will Hogs be a good test for UT? Well duh.... I fully expect it to be a whale of a game. If I had to lay money on the bet I'd give the edge to Hogs. I think they are a year ahead of us in the rebuild period.

pigture perfect

No way was Dooley worse than John L. Dear Lord, Vince Jr. would be a great coach given a little time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ALLVOL

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 08, 2015, 03:33:51 pm
No way was Dooley worse than John L. Dear Lord, Vince Jr. would be a great coach given a little time.
Let's look at this. Doofus did something that has never happened in the history of UT. He became the first head coach to lead us to back to back to back losing seasons. Under Doofus UT recruiting got so bad that last year UT didn't have a player drafted for the first time since the 1960's. Under Doofus we lost to KY for the first time in 27 years. Not to mention the relationships he destroyed with high school coaches and former players etc.
So one year of John L cannot hold a candle to the destruction Doofus did over 3 seasons.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 10:40:10 am
Oh I understand and not saying John L was great or even good. But Doofus was a historically bad coach.

LOL..! The old "My coach sucked worse than your coach" pillow fight..!  LOL..! Looking forward to chatting it up with you on the game thread ALLVOL...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

redeye

I think this game will depend on how well our defense plays.  Tennessee's DL is very stout and may keep us from scoring much.  It'll be on our defense to make sure Tennessee's offense scores less.

ALLVOL

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 08, 2015, 04:56:14 pm
LOL..! The old "My coach sucked worse than your coach" pillow fight..!  LOL..! Looking forward to chatting it up with you on the game thread ALLVOL...
It is funny but sad. I hate that either school had to go through what we've went through.

davglo35

Tenner went thru 3 years with a doofus but we went thru 10 with a Moron!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: redeye on August 08, 2015, 05:04:46 pm
I think this game will depend on how well our defense plays.  Tennessee's DL is very stout and may keep us from scoring much.  It'll be on our defense to make sure Tennessee's offense scores less.
I'll take our OL against Tennessee's DL. It's a long drive but I-40 is easy to travel and I think we win.

" GO HOGS "

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 03:23:48 pm
Ok, so tell me how you got that from my post? Kind of a leap there sir.
Now will Hogs be a good test for UT? Well duh.... I fully expect it to be a whale of a game. If I had to lay money on the bet I'd give the edge to Hogs. I think they are a year ahead of us in the rebuild period.

They teach comprehension even in Tenner....again, if you think Chaney was a good OC (I don't)
this will give you Tenners a good gauge on where you are as a program, factoring in,
we are much better on defense...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: redeye on August 08, 2015, 05:04:46 pm

Tennessee's DL is inexperienced.  They will get a chance to get some playing experience before we play them, but their DL will not be like Alabama's DL.

hogfan14

Quote from: GuvHog on August 08, 2015, 10:30:09 am

I didnt say his coaching was bad, but those players weren't there in 2013.

SEC coaches agree with me

tusksincolorado

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 08, 2015, 03:33:51 pm

Right...at least Dooley knew what University he coached.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

JIHawg

Quote from: davglo35 on August 08, 2015, 06:37:24 pm
Tenner went thru 3 years with a doofus but we went thru 10 with a Moron!

Ah, the Bozo years.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 08, 2015, 11:10:16 pm
Right...at least Dooley knew what University he coached.

...and it wasn't Alabama. Good grief, I keep trying to forget 'Slappy'.

" GO HOGS "

ALLVOL

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on August 08, 2015, 10:47:02 pm
They teach comprehension even in Tenner....again, if you think Chaney was a good OC (I don't)
this will give you Tenners a good gauge on where you are as a program, factoring in,
we are much better on defense...

Really? LOL I'll let others read our exchange and make their judgments. Also I'll let Chaney's career speak for it's self.

psst. Chaney is at Pitt not UT.

HoopS

While the one year of jls was really bad, they had three years of Derek Dooley. Three years. That's rough.

bphi11ips

Tennessee is a sleeping giant.  Arkansas has underachieved since joining the SEC.  This year we may get the chance to beat them twice.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Nashville Fan

Dooley was a strong a Candidate for the AR job before Petrino. Very smart guy just in over his head with the TN administrative mess that he walked into.
Pittman or Bust!

Jborohog09

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 09, 2015, 08:35:02 am
...and it wasn't Alabama. Good grief, I keep trying to forget 'Slappy'.

" GO HOGS "

SMILE!

ALLVOL

Quote from: Nashville Fan on August 09, 2015, 09:31:10 am
Dooley was a strong a Candidate for the AR job before Petrino. Very smart guy just in over his head with the TN administrative mess that he walked into.
I remember hearing the same statement about him being smart when we hired him. I and some others caught a lot of grief for making comments that it was a terrible hire. He may be a book smart guy but he obviously was not and is not a football smart guy.
He was never thought of highly enough to be a coordinator of offense or defense.
He is a career loser as a head coach. He had a losing record at La Tech when Mike Hamilton (worst AD in SEC history as well)hired him. So I stand by my conclusion that a guy who couldn't impress his boss enough to be made a coordinator and has a losing record at each of his stops as head coach is not a smart football guy.
Give me a guy that wins at wheat ever level he is coaching any day. If a guy can't win at a lower level he wont win at a higher level.

ALLVOL

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 09, 2015, 09:24:59 am
Tennessee is a sleeping giant.  Arkansas has underachieved since joining the SEC.  This year we may get the chance to beat them twice.
LOL I have us winning 8 games. So if you're right that will make us 10-2 and winning the East, so I'd take that right now and run! LOL
Man I hope you are right.

HF#1

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 08, 2015, 10:25:55 am
If you want to compare Petrino to Dooley then you and I cannot have a civil discussion. Besides there is one helluva lot more to rebuilding a program than recruiting.

Petrino left our cabinets as empty as Dooley did at Tenner. Put any other coach in the position John L was put in and the results are the same.

I compared Dooley to Pelphrey in basketball.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ALLVOL

Quote from: HF#1 on August 09, 2015, 11:25:58 am
Petrino left our cabinets as empty as Dooley did at Tenner. Put any other coach in the position John L was put in and the results are the same.

I compared Dooley to Pelphrey in basketball.
I don't think it's even close. The team John L took over had preseason hype. Doofus was not only a bad recruiter but he even destroyed relationships with high school coaches. Comparing Petrino to Doofus is just not apples to apples.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 09, 2015, 09:24:59 am

Getting back to topic, I agree. They are supposed to have 20 returning in their 2 deep on both sides of the ball. A lot of their kids had to grow up quickly last year having played "young". Do they have all of the parts in place to be successful in terms of both talent level and experience? We are about to see.
Go Hogs Go!

ALLVOL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 09, 2015, 11:47:57 am
Getting back to topic, I agree. They are supposed to have 20 returning in their 2 deep on both sides of the ball. A lot of their kids had to grow up quickly last year having played "young". Do they have all of the parts in place to be successful in terms of both talent level and experience? We are about to see.
I don't think we're quite 2 deep at all positions. We are 2 deep at the Oline and our Dline as well as our Dbacks. We're deepest at WR with a lot of quality in that position group. But you are correct about the youth. It's gonna be an exciting season barring major injuries. I think we win 8 and will be much stronger at seasons end. I look for UT to be very good next year. 

MuskogeeHogFan

August 09, 2015, 12:25:04 pm #393 Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:42:59 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: ALLVOL on August 09, 2015, 12:11:05 pm
I don't think we're quite 2 deep at all positions. We are 2 deep at the Oline and our Dline as well as our Dbacks. We're deepest at WR with a lot of quality in that position group. But you are correct about the youth. It's gonna be an exciting season barring major injuries. I think we win 8 and will be much stronger at seasons end. I look for UT to be very good next year. 

Here's what I see that Tennessee has in terms of their two deep on both sides of the ball by position, though this information is dated and may have been effected by kids who have been dismissed from the team between the time I put it together and now.

QB   2
RB   1
WR  6
TE   2
OL   9
OFF 20

DT   3
DE   6
LB   4
CB   3
S     4
DEF 20

Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

So we're saying the Hog/Vol game might be a coin flip?  I agree.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 09, 2015, 12:40:30 pm
So we're saying the Hog/Vol game might be a coin flip?  I agree.
I think it's going to be a very good game. I give a slight edge to Arkansas. If I was setting the points right now I'd say Hogs by 5. Of course there's a long time between now and then.

pigskenG

I think the media hype on Tennessee revolves around: (1) they found a scrambling QB, burned his redshirt year to get him on the field when those ahead of him weren't working out.  (2) the last 3 years their recruiting classes were nationally rated by Rivals #21, #5, #5. This year so far they are rated #15, the Razorbacks are #45 so far this year. (some coaches build by star recruiting: Jones. Some coaches recruit who they like, to coach and mold into an SEC player: Bielema)  On a side note, I've noticed that while CBB looks for a walk on that deserves a scholarship, Tennessee has had former 4 star players leave the program after just one or two years, like they are on try out for the first year or two, if they can recruit someone better, see ya. I think that maybe explains some of their oversignings. Just a thought.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 15h15 hours ago

Von Pearson's return to practice, the ongoing O-line shuffles and a lighter Kenny Bynum, Marquez North's breakout sophomore season never materialized, but he says it's 'behind me.' http://bit.ly/1hqXSyd

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ALLVOL

Quote from: pigskenG on August 09, 2015, 01:37:46 pm
I think the media hype on Tennessee revolves around: (1) they found a scrambling QB, burned his redshirt year to get him on the field when those ahead of him weren't working out.  (2) the last 3 years their recruiting classes were nationally rated by Rivals #21, #5, #5. This year so far they are rated #15, the Razorbacks are #45 so far this year. (some coaches build by star recruiting: Jones. Some coaches recruit who they like, to coach and mold into an SEC player: Bielema)  On a side note, I've noticed that while CBB looks for a walk on that deserves a scholarship, Tennessee has had former 4 star players leave the program after just one or two years, like they are on try out for the first year or two, if they can recruit someone better, see ya. I think that maybe explains some of their oversignings. Just a thought.
What about the 4 and 5 star recruits being sought by Arkansas? Why are they different?

ALLVOL

Quote from: pigskenG on August 09, 2015, 01:37:46 pm
What about Hunter henry and Alex Collins and some of the OLINE guys who are 4 and 5 star playing for Hogs currently and those Hogs are going hard after right now?