Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much do we beat Auburn by in game 1?

Started by Killean, July 02, 2014, 06:25:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our margin of victory?

1-3
43 (16.4%)
4-7
103 (39.3%)
8-14
54 (20.6%)
15+
36 (13.7%)
I'm an Auburn Fan
26 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Jamie Jones

By the standards of the "experts", when Bob Petrino was at the helm, we never recruited the talent compete on the SEC level, let alone the national level. He proceeded to go 21-5 in his last two seasons. No matter how many close losses we avoided, our record was still good enough for them to rank us in the top ten prior to the 2012 season. So what the experts THINK, has very little influence on my outlook. Coach Bielema is building a program to last over time and I'm excited to see us take that first step against Auburn on August 30!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 06, 2014, 02:33:42 pm
Of course it can be defended just as the pro-style can be defended.  I doubt it can be stopped.  They all have the same types of plays.  Some just have more window dressing.  Malzahn's system has traps, counters, powers, timing routes, go routes, crossing routes etc.  Any system will work with the right talent and execution. 

I don't disagree the Auburn game is a big game.  They are the current SEC champions.  If I had to pick a game to be preparing like no other for it would be Bama or any of the other pro-style teams we play because those are the guys recruiting a lot of the same players we would like to get in the program. Make no mistake about it, we need those players to compete. 

This is why I like college over the NFL. Different styles, variety, and finesse every week it just makes the game much more interesting to me. On top of that, you have to be a complete team to play against Bama one week, Texas Tech the following week, and a school ground style that Auburn fields...and win.

Oh then LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M, and Missouri...fairly meaty schedule.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 06, 2014, 02:58:18 pm
By the standards of the "experts", when Bob Petrino was at the helm, we never recruited the talent compete on the SEC level, let alone the national level. He proceeded to go 21-5 in his last two seasons. No matter how many close losses we avoided, our record was still good enough for them to rank us in the top ten prior to the 2012 season. So what the experts THINK, has very little influence on my outlook. Coach Bielema is building a program to last over time and I'm excited to see us take that first step against Auburn on August 30!

Fair argument, but more times than not Petrino was the smartest man on the field.  His play calling was pure genius.  That's how he won more times than not with inferior talent.  Not to say he didn't have talent, because he had playmakers.  Not the depth that many SEC teams enjoy, but enough that when he dialed up the right play he could put points on the board.

Al Boarland

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 06, 2014, 02:59:50 pm
This is why I like college over the NFL. Different styles, variety, and finesse every week it just makes the game much more interesting to me. On top of that, you have to be a complete team to play against Bama one week, Texas Tech the following week, and a school ground style that Auburn fields...and win.

Oh then LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M, and Missouri...fairly meaty schedule.

Absolutely,  that's what makes it great.  That's what is so funny when people talk about how we need to do this or that.  Not really.  You just need to do whatever it is really well and with great players.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 06, 2014, 03:05:09 pm
Fair argument, but more times than not Petrino was the smartest man on the field.  His play calling was pure genius.  That's how he won more times than not with inferior talent.  Not to say he didn't have talent, because he had playmakers.  Not the depth that many SEC teams enjoy, but enough that when he dialed up the right play he could put points on the board.

Best playcall he had was 08 LSU game on 4th and 1 to win the game. Dick to Crawford. Ballsy

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 06, 2014, 03:25:10 pm
Best playcall he had was 08 LSU game on 4th and 1 to win the game. Dick to Crawford. Ballsy

Not as much as you might believe.

When short stacked and desperate, "all in" with any face card is the only play.

Getting to where we had the long shot opportunity was more impressive, in my opinion.

LZH

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 06, 2014, 01:26:03 pm
Bye DAG...
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 06, 2014, 01:26:48 pm
"Goodnight, sweetheart, well it's time to go...."

Aw, man...I always miss out on all the good mudslinging.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on July 06, 2014, 03:52:32 pm
Not as much as you might believe.

When short stacked and desperate, "all in" with any face card is the only play.

Getting to where we had the long shot opportunity was more impressive, in my opinion.
Or the 4th and 3 stop and go to joe Adams against lsu in 2010 to punch our ticket to a bcs game.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 06, 2014, 06:17:36 pm
Or the 4th and 3 stop and go to joe Adams against lsu in 2010 to punch our ticket to a bcs game.

Or those two(?) cray cray pass plays at Georgia.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 06, 2014, 01:30:14 pm
I just love drawin' these guys out....even if it does lower my IQ.
I think he drew you out.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FANONTHEHILL

On Auburn's first possession, I want them to run one play and then as they come to the line for their second, every player on our defense to fall to the ground.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

JansterZ71

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 07, 2014, 09:39:36 am
On Auburn's first possession, I want them to run one play and then as they come to the line for their second, every player on our defense to fall to the ground.
That would be absolutley hilarious and would totally make a point and would totally stick it to Malzahn...😳 (sarcasm heavy)
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

ricepig

Quote from: estuman on July 08, 2014, 04:36:01 pm
Couple of things.
This is the first time Gus has had a returning starter at QB (thus the "Slow" starts) although he has only been a Head Coach for 2 years with ASU and AU last year)

Last year Nick Marshall had only been on AU's campus for 3 weeks (obviously things aren't going to be hitting on all cylinders.

Marshall actually ended up (I forgot who tweeted this from ESPN) leading all college football QBs in QB rating the last 8 games of the schedule.

The key players AU lost to the draft (Robinson at LT, Mason at RB, Ford at DE) they have 5*s backing them up (Shon Coleman or Avery Young at LT, Signed a 5* RB this year, and Lawson and Daniels at DE)  the biggest loss will actually be Jay Prosh, the do it all full back.

AU's offense will be better this year, especially with  #1 overall JUCO 5* WR D'haquille Williams being on the otherside of Sammie Coates.

So, you're saying we handle Aubbie pretty easily, me too.

870hogfan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 07, 2014, 07:33:19 pm
That would be absolutley hilarious and would totally make a point and would totally stick it to Malzahn...😳 (sarcasm heavy)

Or just chop block one of Auburn best defensive guys since that is what Auburn is known for....

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Jafo

It would be a major upset, according to most folks, if we won. I like the idea of an upset, though! ;)

Mike_e

Quote from: Jafo on July 08, 2014, 11:44:59 pm
It would be a major upset, according to most folks, if we won. I like the idea of an upset, though! ;)

An upset sure wouldn't upset me.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

peachy

I don't see this game being close at all.  This will literally be the best offense Auburn has ever produced.  I would be highly surprised if Arkansas held Auburn under 40 points.  Nothing against Arkansas, but they don't have the talent or depth yet to win this game; especially on the road.  Auburn returns 90% of last years team; a team that went 12-2 and came a few seconds short of a NC.  Who the RB is doesn't really matter in Malzahns offense.  His offenses always produce 1000 yard rushers (11 in 8 years).  Auburns offensive line will be one of the best in the nation.  They have 113 career starts returning; last years line only had 74.  Phil Steele's numbers have Auburn as the 6th most experienced team in the nation.  This team has more experience than 2010 or 2013.  This is the first time Malzahn has had a returning QB since leaving highschool for college and the first returning starter at QB that Auburn has had since 2007.  Auburns weakest link is the defense; most notable the secondary.  But Auburns defense will be better than last year. 

Auburn did win some close games last year.  But this was a team coming off 3-9 the previous season.  For them to even be in the mix for the conference title, let alone the NC, was absolutely remarkable.  And most championship teams have a little luck.  But it could be argued they had as much go against them as they had go for them (pouring rain in the first Q of the LSU game which caused two fumbles that gave LSU 14 points, missed field goal early in the NC game which Auburn lost by 3).  Sure Auburn could have been an 8 win team last year.  But going from 3 wins to 8 and nearly winning 12 would have been a great bounce back and people would be talking about them being better this year.  But the fact that they won those close games somehow means they'll be worse this year?  Not buying it.

In the end I don't think Arkansas will even keep it close early.  Malzahn and Bielema don't care for each other at all.  Malzahn is going to want to make a statement and he's going to want to rub Bielemas face in it.  Probably not the grown up thing to do but oh well. 

Auburn will beat the spread in this game.  They'll win something like 48-17 or 54-24.  Its not going to be close.

LRRandy

Quote from: peachy on July 09, 2014, 08:16:39 am
I don't see this game being close at all.  This will literally be the best offense Auburn has ever produced.  I would be highly surprised if Arkansas held Auburn under 40 points.  Nothing against Arkansas, but they don't have the talent or depth yet to win this game; especially on the road.  Auburn returns 90% of last years team; a team that went 12-2 and came a few seconds short of a NC.  Who the RB is doesn't really matter in Malzahns offense.  His offenses always produce 1000 yard rushers (11 in 8 years).  Auburns offensive line will be one of the best in the nation.  They have 113 career starts returning; last years line only had 74.  Phil Steele's numbers have Auburn as the 6th most experienced team in the nation.  This team has more experience than 2010 or 2013.  This is the first time Malzahn has had a returning QB since leaving highschool for college and the first returning starter at QB that Auburn has had since 2007.  Auburns weakest link is the defense; most notable the secondary.  But Auburns defense will be better than last year. 

Auburn did win some close games last year.  But this was a team coming off 3-9 the previous season.  For them to even be in the mix for the conference title, let alone the NC, was absolutely remarkable.  And most championship teams have a little luck.  But it could be argued they had as much go against them as they had go for them (pouring rain in the first Q of the LSU game which caused two fumbles that gave LSU 14 points, missed field goal early in the NC game which Auburn lost by 3).  Sure Auburn could have been an 8 win team last year.  But going from 3 wins to 8 and nearly winning 12 would have been a great bounce back and people would be talking about them being better this year.  But the fact that they won those close games somehow means they'll be worse this year?  Not buying it.

In the end I don't think Arkansas will even keep it close early.  Malzahn and Bielema don't care for each other at all.  Malzahn is going to want to make a statement and he's going to want to rub Bielemas face in it.  Probably not the grown up thing to do but oh well. 

Auburn will beat the spread in this game.  They'll win something like 48-17 or 54-24.  Its not going to be close.
this will not be a popular post. Seems logical though.
This is fun, isn't it.

Al Boarland

I don't know what the score will be, but you are spot on about that Auburn team.  They will be the best in the SEC.  They do have a monster schedule though.

razorbackkid

First game of the season, anything can happen.

That said I won't be putting any money on it.  Go Hogs!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: estuman on July 09, 2014, 09:59:30 am

I could see it being close in the beginning, but only if Bielema changes it up. If he tries to play his game of ground and pound ... it actually plays into Auburn's defensive strength, which is the DL.  Auburn rotated 12 DL last year. They had 3 5* True Freshman DL (Lawson, Adams & Daniels) who really came on by midway of last year. However, It'll be a break for Arkansas that it appears Lawson will miss at least the first game.

I believe that Brandon Allen will have to have the game of his life to make this a competitive game. I agree that AU will score at least 40 ... can Arkansas keep up with that?

Maybe we can slow Auburn down by faking injuries.

DLUXHOG

I'm telling you... mark this down.... Hogs will win this one...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 09, 2014, 01:26:46 pm
I'm telling you... mark this down.... Hogs will win this one...

Putting a bookmark on it now, hope you're correct.

LZH

Quote from: peachy on July 09, 2014, 08:16:39 amMalzahn and Bielema don't care for each other at all.  Malzahn is going to want to make a statement and he's going to want to rub Bielemas face in it. 

I'm not too sure about this one.  I doubt that they dislike each other any more than you'd expect normal competitors to.  Yeah, Gus will run up the score - BB would too if he could - but I don't believe it will have anything to do with some sort of frosty relationship that's been created in the media.

chitwnhog

Quote from: estuman on July 09, 2014, 03:10:48 pm

It'd be a better strategy than what Bielema wants to do (Ground & Pound)

Yeah...that's why Bielema hired Chaney.

870hogfan

Hogs will keep the game close book it. Arkansas ran all over Auburn last year what makes this year any different?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 09, 2014, 04:26:17 pm
Hogs will keep the game close book it. Arkansas ran all over Auburn last year what makes this year any different?

We may have ran all over, but we were never in the game after halftime. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

SemperFi

The Hogs win this game. I don't know if it'll be by 1 or 100 and really don't care as long as we come out of the game with a W. I'm sick and tired of reading all the negative posts about Coach B, this team and our future. Would love for the 2014 season to start off on the right foot and lay a solid foundation for the future of our team.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Al Boarland

Quote from: SemperFi on July 09, 2014, 06:38:36 pm
The Hogs win this game. I don't know if it'll be by 1 or 100 and really don't care as long as we come out of the game with a W. I'm sick and tired of reading all the negative posts about Coach B, this team and our future. Would love for the 2014 season to start off on the right foot and lay a solid foundation for the future of our team.

Sick and tired of hearing reality? It must be a rough life you have.

Killean

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2014, 06:17:13 pm
We may have ran all over, but we were never in the game after halftime. 

Did you even watch the game?

We cut the deficit to 11, shortly after Gus had his player fake an injury because his world was falling apart.

The difference in the game was the turnovers.  2 of which were by Derby when Allen got knocked out of the game briefly.

I'm not quite sure why so many people are trying to insist that the Hogs were so much worse than they actually showed on the field or why Auburn was so much better than they actually showed on the field.

My guess is that reality doesn't fit your agenda.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 09, 2014, 08:57:50 pm
Sick and tired of hearing reality? It must be a rough life you have.

I thought the same thing when I read that.  Hey, I would absolutely love to be able to say that I trust BB's judgement and have 100% confidence in what he's doing here.........but I can't.  People think that I just love to take cheap shots at the guy because of one tweet, but the fact is there's alot more to it than that.  And it's not like he did a bang up job coaching last year, either.

Now it's a new year and I do think he's shown that he knows how to win - he'd have never been hired if he hadn't.  But it is what it is.  He's responsible for making these kids better football players, and if we're not any better this year than what we saw last year, then it's all on him....no more blaming Petrino and JLS.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Killean on July 10, 2014, 09:41:31 am
Did you even watch the game?

We cut the deficit to 11, shortly after Gus had his player fake an injury because his world was falling apart.

The difference in the game was the turnovers.  2 of which were by Derby when Allen got knocked out of the game briefly.

I'm not quite sure why so many people are trying to insist that the Hogs were so much worse than they actually showed on the field or why Auburn was so much better than they actually showed on the field.

My guess is that reality doesn't fit your agenda.

Screw you about agenda. I don't have a damn agenda.  Reality is we were losing at one point 28 to 3 in the 3rd quarter.  Everyone on here likes to think we were so close.  We made it look close, but the game was over and only people that want to think we were close will argue even though going into the 4th we were down 28-10. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=333060008

Please. Tell me how that is close other than you want to believe it was? 

Killean

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 10, 2014, 10:20:25 am
Screw you about agenda. I don't have a damn agenda.  Reality is we were losing at one point 28 to 3 in the 3rd quarter.  Everyone on here likes to think we were so close.  We made it look close, but the game was over and only people that want to think we were close will argue even though going into the 4th we were down 28-10. 

It was 28-17 in the 4th quarter but I guess you had already turned off your TV and you were singing the Auburn fight song.

You probably had to look the box score up because you sure as hell didn't actually watch the game :)

Down 11 with 14 minutes left, It's over man.. it's over! 
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

peachy

Its going to take a bit for Arkansas to get back into contention.  The thing that kills them is they play in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football.  They have 3 opponents that have won 5 of the last 7 NCs.  The Miss Schools have stepped up their game lately. 

What it will come down to is recruiting.  Arkansas is going to have to get in the top 15 consistently to compete consistently.  I know Petrino won with classes that werent highly ranked but that was more due to his system.  Bielemas system is not unlike Sabans.  But if Saban is 2-3 deep with 4 and 5 stars he's going to beat the tar out of teams that are like his but with much lesser talent. 

They seem to be doing better this year with FOUR 4 stars out of 10 commits (compared to THREE last year out of 28 commits according to Rivals).  Bielema really needs to hit on huge O-linemen to control the ball against teams like Auburn, Ole Miss and TAMU and fast defensive players to slow them down.  Big, slow D-linemen wont help against those teams. 

I dont see Arkansas making a bowl this year though they could get close.  They literally have the toughest schedule in the nation this year.  Bar none.  They could be a better team all around but not have the record to show for it.  Road games @Auburn, @Texas Tech, @Miss St, @Missouri, a "neutral site" game against TAMU in Texas, and home games with Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss and Georgia PLUS a non-conference game against a Northern Illinois team that has gone 46-10 the last 4 seasons is going to make this another tough year for Arkansas fans. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 10, 2014, 10:20:25 am

I agree with HIGGIE... That game was never in question...
SEC!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

I've said this once and I'll say it again: IF BA really steps up and the Hogs have a passing game efficient enough to force Auburn to respect it and keep them from loading the box, The LOADED Hog backfield should have a big day and the Hogs will have a good shot at winning. If not, the Tigers will stack the box and it'll get ugly for the Hogs real quick.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Killean

In their last 7 games.. the Auburn QB broke 20 attempts exactly twice.

He failed to break 10 attempts 3 times.

In games where Nick Marshall passed 20 or more times, here are his stats:

80 completions, 143 attempts, 55.9% completion, 7 TDs, 5 INTs,

His completion % was down from 59.4 and he had 7 TDs to 1 INT in low attempt games.

His rushing in those games:  79 atts, 302 yards, 3.8 ypc

Slow the run down and Auburn is screwed.  Gus's passing attack is predicated on the opposing team being unable to stop the run and unable to blitz or provide more than single coverage.

For Comparison.. Brandon Allen in games where he had 20 or more passing attempts..

103 completions, 207 attempts, 49.8% completion 11 TDs, 7 INTs

His completion percentage is up slightly from his full season 49.6% AND he had 2 TDs and 3 INTs in games with less than 20 attempts.

In case you were wondering.. here are the scores of the games where Marshall passed the ball 20 or more times:

vs. Mississippi State  24-20
vs. LSU  21-35
vs. Texas A&M  45-41
vs. Georgia 43-38
vs. Alabama 34-28
vs. FSU - 31-34

So, both games they lost plus two they won on fluke plays and add in A&M which they won after their defense horse-collared JFF. 

Not to mention Mississippi State squandering opportunities on Auburn's side of the field in the 2nd half. 

Make Auburn pass and they are a bad team.

HiggiePiggy

We pulled it to 11 points then 4 mins later they were back up 35-17 and the rest of the 10 mins of the 4th we didn't do anything.

RT1941

I don't feel good about this game.  I'm just hoping to keep it competitive and for our guys to stand toe to toe/man to man with them.  I wanna see our guys fight till the end.
RazorTusk!!!!

peachy

Quote from: Killean on July 10, 2014, 12:13:38 pm
In their last 7 games.. the Auburn QB broke 20 attempts exactly twice.

He failed to break 10 attempts 3 times.

In games where Nick Marshall passed 20 or more times, here are his stats:

80 completions, 143 attempts, 55.9% completion, 7 TDs, 5 INTs,

His completion % was down from 59.4 and he had 7 TDs to 1 INT in low attempt games.

His rushing in those games:  79 atts, 302 yards, 3.8 ypc

Slow the run down and Auburn is screwed.  Gus's passing attack is predicated on the opposing team being unable to stop the run and unable to blitz or provide more than single coverage.

For Comparison.. Brandon Allen in games where he had 20 or more passing attempts..

103 completions, 207 attempts, 49.8% completion 11 TDs, 7 INTs

His completion percentage is up slightly from his full season 49.6% AND he had 2 TDs and 3 INTs in games with less than 20 attempts.

In case you were wondering.. here are the scores of the games where Marshall passed the ball 20 or more times:

vs. Mississippi State  24-20
vs. LSU  21-35
vs. Texas A&M  45-41
vs. Georgia 43-38
vs. Alabama 34-28
vs. FSU - 31-34

So, both games they lost plus two they won on fluke plays and add in A&M which they won after their defense horse-collared JFF. 

Not to mention Mississippi State squandering opportunities on Auburn's side of the field in the 2nd half. 

Make Auburn pass and they are a bad team.

Two things to take into consideration:

1: Marshall arrived on campus just a few weeks til the season started.  He didn't really start learning the playbook until about halfway through the season.  He now has the luxury of an entire season and offseason to perfect the offense he barely knew last year.  He also now has a JUCO WR that can go the NFL immediately following this season; he's a beast.

2. Over his last 8 games of the season Marshall had the HIGHEST QB rating in the nation.  Sure he didn't throw a lot, but when he did he was great, made the plays and limited the turnovers (2 INTs his last 9 games).  He improved dramatically over the season and its not a stretch to think that improvement will continue

lefty08

Quote from: estuman on July 10, 2014, 11:30:28 am

I think this game was a little personal for Gus. Not only was he in his hometown State, he was playing Bielema who ran his mouth about Arkansas playing "Real American Football" as opposed to Spread/Gimmicky football.   

I think Gus' gameplan was to run it right up Arkansas' gut and not throw the ball at all.
He almost did that, throwing only 8 passes.

I think this year he will open it up now that Marshall actually knows the playbook and having Sammie Coates & newly acquired D'haquille Williams (#1 overall JUCO player and 5*WR) you're going to see a bit more of a balanced offense.

It will not be 93% Run in the Arkansas vs Auburn 2014 matchup, like it was last year.
I'm thinking with all the WR weapons, you're going to see 70/30 run/pass game by Auburn.

if this happens I actually like our chances even more
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on July 10, 2014, 05:35:10 pm
if this happens I actually like our chances even more

Offensively Gus's gameplan last year was successful because it just continued to probe and probe and probe, hit you here, hit you there, 2, 3, 4 yds at a time, waiting for someone to miss an assignment or be enough out of position or miss a tackle and then they would rip off 10, 15, 30, 50 yard runs or passes. Not taking anything away from them because that is a pretty good gameplan. Just keep probing and wait for your opponent to make a critical error.

For the season against Power 5 conference teams, they averaged 37 yards per game passing on first down and an average of 6.4 attempts with an average reception of 5.8 yards. This accounted for 19.1% of all first down plays and produced 17.1% of all first down yards.

Their running game was a different story. Auburn averaged 179 yards rushing on first downs alone last year with average first down carries of 27 per game and an average gain per carry of 6.6 yards.

When you are averaging 6.6 yards per carry on first down and that accounts for 80.9% of all first down plays, you are doing something right.

Want to beat Auburn? You play disciplined, assignment football, make sure you are aligned properly and play proper technique, not let your guard down and go to sleep, make solid tackles and don't turn the ball over at midfield or in your own end of the field. Additionally, play outstanding special teams because Auburn's ST's either scored or put them in great field position last year time and again.

I guess you could say the same for any team that we face, but against Auburn, because of the type of offense that they run, this is especially true. They have great athletes that will take advantage of any little mistake a defense makes.

Now all of that being said, they had a lot of little miracles happen last year that helped them get where they ended up. Odds are, a team can't be that lucky two years in a row.

On the bright side, who held Auburn's offense to its lowest output per game last year? Arkansas. Who most limited the number of plays that they could run in a game last year? Again, Arkansas. And while we had our chances to win this game last year even with an injured QB, you can't give up an average of 7.2 yards per rush on first down plays, especially when that represents 49% of all the plays they ran against us last year, and expect that you are going to win, especially when your offense isn't producing at its highest level.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

On the bright side, who held Auburn's offense to its lowest output per game last year? Arkansas. Who most limited the number of plays that they could run in a game last year? Again, Arkansas. And while we had our chances to win this game last year even with an injured QB, you can't give up an average of 7.2 yards per rush on first down plays, especially when that represents 49% of all the plays they ran against us last year, and expect that you are going to win, especially when your offense isn't producing at its highest level.
True, but Auburn was basically 3 different teams last season. The first third of the season they struggled. Second third, they found an identity and started working out the kinks. Last third, a machine. They should come out like the last third this season at best or the second third at worst.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2014, 11:13:35 am
True, but Auburn was basically 3 different teams last season. The first third of the season they struggled. Second third, they found an identity and started working out the kinks. Last third, a machine. They should come out like the last third this season at best or the second third at worst.

More like one team the first 4 games and then the "machine" as you call them, the last 7 games (against power 5 conference teams). First four major games they averaged 416 yards per game. The next 4, 507. The last 3, 506. No difference between the middle and the end of the season. And these numbers were generated during the same time period that Arkansas played them but only allowed 366 total yards. Still not sure how our defense managed that when we looked so bad as a unit last year, but I expect us to be improved on defense this year.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: estuman on July 11, 2014, 11:33:27 am

Excellent post Muskogeehogfan. Stats are great, but for a team like Auburn last year ... you almost need to throw away the stats from the 1st half of the season. They were a different team once Marshall got the hang of things. The whole luck thing needs to be put to rest also. The UGA catch was lucky (although they led by 20 in the 4th) the Bama FG return was a crazy play, but they would've gone into overtime, had that not happened. I like AU's chances with it being in Auburn and the momentum they had.
That was really only one lucky play. For some reason people throw in the FG return.
That was just bad coaching on Saban's part.

AU only threw the ball 8 times against Arkansas which did two things:
1. Made the game go by quicker (less incomplete passes to stop the clock
2. Which in turn makes you run less plays.

While stats are nice, lets not lean on them for the potential outcome of a game.

If Arkansas/Bielema gets to emotional about making the Auburn game a must win ... it could set a negative tone for the year (Although Arkansas has about 3 Tune Ups after the Auburn game.)

No, they weren't. See the post above.

As for the Georgia game, yeah, pretty lucky. The last three series that Auburn had the ball in that game, up to that 73 yard TD throw/run, Auburn had generated a net yardage of +2 yards. So pretty lucky? I would certainly say so.
Go Hogs Go!

JansterZ71

Arkansas was middle of the SEC to last of the SEC defensably against Auburn. Here are the Stats:

[attachment deleted by admin]
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 11, 2014, 02:44:17 pm
Arkansas was middle of the SEC to last of the SEC defensably against Auburn. Here are the Stats:

Actually pretty good run defense compared with the others, but awful pass defense. And this shows nothing about field position, or turnovers.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

July 11, 2014, 05:10:15 pm #199 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:33:36 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: estuman on July 11, 2014, 04:47:55 pm

Also, AU had more Rushing yards per play against Arkansas than it did against LSU's Defense. Does that mean that Arkansas had a better Rushing Defense than LSU? No.

You really need to read more.

As was stated above, Arkansas gave up 7.2 yards per 1st down rush against Auburn. Who gave up more than that on first down? Washington State and Missouri and Ole Miss shared our misery in giving up an average of that many yards rushing on first down.

No one is trying to say that Arkansas had a better rush defense than LSU.

And as for your premise that Gus was just trying to embarass Bielema by keeping it on the ground and not opening it up, he must have had the same premise against Ole Miss and Wash State. Besides, what you are suggesting is that Gus Malzahn was petty enough to act that way towards another HC, and according to Auburn fans and some on here, he is above such demeaning behavior.
Go Hogs Go!