Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking to women basketball next year

Started by flippinhogmana, April 12, 2017, 11:06:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

April 12, 2017, 11:06:31 pm Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:43:30 pm by flippinhogmana
 2   Aaliyah Wilson   G/F   So   5-10   Muskogee, Okla.   Muskogee HS
  3   Malica Monk   G   Jr   5-5   North Little Rock, Ark.   North Little Rock HS
  4   Keiryn Swenson   G/F   Jr   6-1   Wichita, Kan.   Maize HS
10   Kiara Williams   F/C   So   6-1   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Central HS
14   Jailyn Mason   PG   So   5-9   Mason, Ohio   William Mason HS
20   Sydney Stout   F   So   6-0   Bixby, Okla.   Bixby HS
21   Devin Cosper   G   Sr   5-10   Coffeyville, Kan.   Field Kindley HS / Coffeyville CC
22   Bailey Zimmerman   G/F   Jr   6-0   St. Vincent, Ark.   Wonderview HS
plus   Macy Weaver      F/C   Fr      6-3   Stillman Valley, Ill
plus   Grace Spangler    G                      Fayetteville, AR    FHS

It will make a lot of difference particularly in rebounding and in depth if Williams comes back or not (and in guard depth if Wilson comes or goes) but unless MN pulls a rabbit out of his hat late, I see a lot of three guard lineup in the future next year.  I hope Macy Weaver has a warrior's heart.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 12, 2017, 11:06:31 pm
2   Aaliyah Wilson   G/F   So   5-10   Muskogee, Okla.   Muskogee HS
  3   Malica Monk   G   Jr   5-5   North Little Rock, Ark.   North Little Rock HS
  4   Keiryn Swenson   G/F   Jr   6-1   Wichita, Kan.   Maize HS
10   Kiara Williams   F/C   So   6-1   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Central HS
14   Jailyn Mason   PG   So   5-9   Mason, Ohio   William Mason HS
20   Sydney Stout   F   So   6-0   Bixby, Okla.   Bixby HS
21   Devin Cosper   G   Sr   5-10   Coffeyville, Kan.   Field Kindley HS / Coffeyville CC
22   Bailey Zimmerman   G/F   Jr   6-0   St. Vincent, Ark.   Wonderview HS

It will make a lot of difference particularly in rebounding and in depth if Williams comes back or not (and in guard depth if Wilson comes or goes) but unless MN pulls a rabbit out of his hat late, I see a lot of three guard lineup in the future next year.  I hope Macy Weaver has a warrior's heart.
Let's hope Williams doesn't transfer.  Watching the video of Gary Blair talking about how quickly Vic Schaefer turned the program around at Mississippi State give me hope that perhaps that's possible at Arkansas.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on April 14, 2017, 11:56:05 am
Let's hope Williams doesn't transfer.  Watching the video of Gary Blair talking about how quickly Vic Schaefer turned the program around at Mississippi State give me hope that perhaps that's possible at Arkansas.

You are a good man (I assume, but you might be a good woman, too!) Logic.  There are always legitimate reasons to doubt, but finding things that that give us legitimate reasons to hope is also just as important, maybe more so.  You mentioned two names who believe; believing is important.  It is what you transfer to the kids that cause them to rally, to fight hard in times of adversary, that cause them to overcome and never give up.  It is the basic building block of any team and of any program, never doubt UCONN BELIEVES!

After winning over a hundred straight and multiple NCAA championships they lost.  What did Gino say to them?  This is what loosing feels like.  It happens to one of the two teams every night.  What message did he deliver?  You dont want this feeling.  What message did he deliver?  RISE UP>  OVERCOME.  START AGAIN.  You have to believe deep in your gut to do that.

And I hope that both Williams and Wilson come back-with the right attitude and heart.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

One player not mentioned by Flippin that we will have next year is Grace Spangler from Fayetteville.  However, with her Senior season being mostly a total loss, I am not sure how much she will help other than being another warm body.

flippinhogmana

April 14, 2017, 04:51:12 pm #4 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:25:35 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 14, 2017, 02:50:16 pm
One player not mentioned by Flippin that we will have next year is Grace Spangler from Fayetteville.  However, with her Senior season being mostly a total loss, I am not sure how much she will help other than being another warm body.

Yeah I didnt mention her because of her knee injury, not sure how well she will be rehabbed by then.  Its the same sort of injury Stout had and Stout is just now getting back her mobility.

As far as the italicized players, I am more confident of getting Williams and Cosper to stay than Wilson.  Dont get me wrong, I would like to have all three back, especially if they come back sold out to the coach and program.  But getting all three in the right frame of mind is very high odds indeed.

nwahogfan1

Lets hope MN can use all of his prior contacts from around the country to add at least 2 good players to the roster.  Maybe an older player from JUCO or a Transfer would be nice especially a player in the 6'2+ range who likes to play inside.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 14, 2017, 02:50:16 pm

I watched the Fayetteville High School team throughout the past season.  Grayce Spangler's knee appeared to be fully rehabbed by the end of it -- she was able to run the floor, position aggressively for rebounds, etc.  No sign of knee issues by the end of the season.  Still looked rusty in parts of her game though compared to what I had seen from her the year before.  But I think she will be full-speed for next season.  I am not sure how much she will contribute her freshman year but she plays all out, is physically strong, and has a lot of heart.  Before she is done, I think she will be a solid contributor to the program.

flippinhogmana

Also, despite her size, I dont know how much we should expect particularly her first year from Macy Weaver.  I couldnt even find an evaluation and ranking of her as a player.

logic

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 14, 2017, 12:01:15 pm
You are a good man (I assume, but you might be a good woman, too!) Logic.  There are always legitimate reasons to doubt, but finding things that that give us legitimate reasons to hope is also just as important, maybe more so.  You mentioned two names who believe; believing is important.  It is what you transfer to the kids that cause them to rally, to fight hard in times of adversary, that cause them to overcome and never give up.  It is the basic building block of any team and of any program, never doubt UCONN BELIEVES!

After winning over a hundred straight and multiple NCAA championships they lost.  What did Gino say to them?  This is what loosing feels like.  It happens to one of the two teams every night.  What message did he deliver?  You dont want this feeling.  What message did he deliver?  RISE UP>  OVERCOME.  START AGAIN.  You have to believe deep in your gut to do that.

And I hope that both Williams and Wilson come back-with the right attitude and heart.
That Connecticut wins that much is proof of how good they are. No team can play their best in every game; especially when playing a number of games within a short period of time.  And, every time Connecticut plays, the other team is playing their best.

Rocket23

Spangler is healthy.  She should have no lingering effects from the knee injury.  She is a good shooter and high energy type player, who can come in and spur the team on.

flippinhogmana

3   Malica Monk   G   Jr   5-5   North Little Rock, Ark.   North Little Rock HS
  4   Keiryn Swenson   G/F   Jr   6-1   Wichita, Kan.   Maize HS
10   Kiara Williams   F/C   So   6-1   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Central HS
14   Jailyn Mason   PG   So   5-9   Mason, Ohio   William Mason HS
20   Sydney Stout   F   So   6-0   Bixby, Okla.   Bixby HS
21   Devin Cosper   G   Sr   5-10   Coffeyville, Kan.   Field Kindley HS / Coffeyville CC
22   Bailey Zimmerman   G/F   Jr   6-0   St. Vincent, Ark.   Wonderview HS
plus   Grace Spangler    G                      Fayetteville, AR    FHS

* 2   Aaliyah Wilson   G/F   So   5-10   Muskogee, Okla.   Muskogee HS (still possible)

This looks like the most likely roster next year.  I think that Kiara Williams will flower in MN's system, as will DC, MM, and JM.  We will have to see how SS, BZ, MW and KS do in it, and whether AW comes back or not, and how quickly MW and GS mature.  That is nine players if Wilson doesnt elect to come back.  Look to have one of the assistant coaches announced probably this week (of those not currently on staff or from Washington).  Word is Schaeffer is the only one coming from Washington.

Bblover69

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-add-two-on-wednesday-2/endless_partial/

I think there's a lot to be excited about with adding these two. They both received more awards and had great seasons this year. Spanglers high school team was full of D1 players and won state. Weaver had a great season, including First Team All State in class 3A by the Associated press (only pick 5 players in the state) and Chicago Tribunes First Team All State (5 players in the state as well) This was just by doing a google search on these girls. Don't count them out just because they  are freshman. CMN is going to continue to build the program. These girls will hopefully run the full 4 years with him.

BWS

Neighbors latest tweet said he did 6 on court workouts. That might be an indication that Wilson and Williams won't be returning next season.

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

Scott7703

Really feel bad for Jessica. Unreal ability and no telling what she could have accomplished with Mikes leadership.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 19, 2017, 02:23:29 pm
Really feel bad for Jessica. Unreal ability and no telling what she could have accomplished with any leadership and actual coaching.

FIFY ;-)

Birminghog

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BWS on April 19, 2017, 01:11:50 pm
Neighbors latest tweet said he did 6 on court workouts. That might be an indication that Wilson and Williams won't be returning next season.

Only 6 returning.  OUCH!!!!  Worse than I thought.  Maybe he can still talk Wilson and Williams into coming back but it is looking bleak. Well, at least our new coach has vast recruiting ties all over the country so hopefully he can add 5 or so more players to the roster so he can just scrimmage next fall.    He is going to earn his pay next year.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 19, 2017, 07:07:45 pm
Only 6 returning.  OUCH!!!!  Worse than I thought.  Maybe he can still talk Wilson and Williams into coming back but it is looking bleak. Well, at least our new coach has vast recruiting ties all over the country so hopefully he can add 5 or so more players to the roster so he can just scrimmage next fall.    He is going to earn his pay next year.

His tweet didn't say only 6 returning.  It said "6 on court workouts... five on campus functions... filed taxes...typical day in coaching except...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTDerwujVkm/";

psycHOGlogist

It's certainly possible that there will still be departures, but I think it's incorrect to assume from his tweet that we only have six returners. He was basically tweeting about having a busy day and then being able to see his daughter perform at Derby Days. It was a sentimental tweet about his kid, not about the basketball program. Plus, it seems like he's having some workouts with JJ, too. Heck, maybe there are only 5 returners PLUS a workout with JJ? We don't know, and we shouldn't base that on this post about how happy he is to be back in the same town as his kids.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 19, 2017, 07:16:59 pm
His tweet didn't say only 6 returning.  It said "6 on court workouts... five on campus functions... filed taxes...typical day in coaching except...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTDerwujVkm/";

Good. I'm glad I read it wrong.  I am still hoping for new Coaches to talk those on the fence into staying

brs_hogfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 20, 2017, 09:40:52 am
I am still hoping for new Coaches to talk those on the fence into staying

Me too!

Scott7703

Just heard an interview with coach Neighbors and he said he currently has 7 players in workouts. I'm guessing that is all the returnees minus Wilson but just as guess. Still hope he can get her back.

Hogtied85

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 02:29:51 pm
Just heard an interview with coach Neighbors and he said he currently has 7 players in workouts. I'm guessing that is all the returnees minus Wilson but just as guess. Still hope he can get her back.

Where was this interview?

Scott7703

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 25, 2017, 02:29:51 pm

Just putting out there that Swenson is a javelin thrower for women's track. It's possible that she's not participating in spring WBB workouts due to that. So the numbers might be hard to interpret.

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 26, 2017, 12:43:11 am
Just putting out there that Swenson is a javelin thrower for women's track. It's possible that she's not participating in spring WBB workouts due to that. So the numbers might be hard to interpret.

I like the sound of that a lot better. That would make sense and would mean all the girls are back and working out. Would be best case scenario.

psycHOGlogist

Well, then there's this, which makes it seem as though she's gone, if you believe that Matt Jones (who doesn't really cover women's sports, I think) has credible sources. (Scroll down)

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/26/mailbag-who-wins-national-championship-first-media/

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 26, 2017, 01:10:32 pm
Well, then there's this, which makes it seem as though she's gone, if you believe that Matt Jones (who doesn't really cover women's sports, I think) has credible sources. (Scroll down)

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/26/mailbag-who-wins-national-championship-first-media/
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/857288820240392194

psycHOGlogist

Right. Raoul is just tweeting a screenshot from the linked article. Guess it just depends on what Matt Jones knows, but it's hard for me to imagine that he'd answer that particular question if he really didn't have a source.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 26, 2017, 01:50:23 pm
Right. Raoul is just tweeting a screenshot from the linked article. Guess it just depends on what Matt Jones knows, but it's hard for me to imagine that he'd answer that particular question if he really didn't have a source.

Right so if she really doesn't want to be here then I'm ok with it. Let's move on to students that want to be apart of what we are building. They will realize the mistake later but I say lets move on. I actually really interested to see how he will develop Jailyn Mason and Malica Monk.

Scott7703

I've heard today that she still hasn't made a final decision. We shall see

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 26, 2017, 03:58:44 pm
I've heard today that she still hasn't made a final decision. We shall see

She certainly hasn't given any social media hints.

flippinhogmana

I think the chances are good that we will have twelve scholarship women's basketball players when practice begins this fall.

I am a little curious about the wait on signing the third assistant.  The wait suggests to me that MN is waiting on a specific assistant of his choosing, not just the best hire he can get.

psycHOGlogist

There continue to be several pretty high profile transfer announcements, including two from Oklahoma - 6'9" Nancy Mulkey announced today (she's from Texas) and Oklahoma resident (and All B-12 Freshman player) Chelsea Dungee also announced her transfer.

No idea whether we are on either of them, but there is just SO MUCH movement this off-season.

flippinhogmana

hahaha, there are still somethings stirring in the pot, but I didnt say we might not have more than twelve, but that I thought (i should perhaps have said at least) twelve.  We came pretty close I am told on the 6-6 girl.

as far as Mulkey, she is a stick.  I dont like to disparage players but she has long arms and height but not much else, she is not that mobile.  that doesn't mean that I wouldn't take her though.  By her senior year she might work into an effective player. 

The other girl is from just down he road in Sapulpa and and while it might be nice to have her, we are probably already good at her position. 

psycHOGlogist

May 08, 2017, 05:06:24 pm #39 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:36:49 pm by psycHOGlogist
I agree, basically. Mulkey did play an awful lot for OU last year, but her numbers were not all that great -- except for blocks, not surprisingly. Can't coach that kind of height!

I just thought it was interesting that the two most highly rated freshmen from OU's team were leaving. It's really an epidemic of transfers this year, and despite our coaching change, it's possible that we will have very few, if any.

ETA - actually, I looked it up and those two players were OU's ENTIRE recruiting class last year. Ouch.