Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wall St. Journal graphic on coaches who earn their 7 figure salary

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 14, 2009, 10:19:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_CoachesNCAAA_20090312.html?mod=djemTEW

For all you who think Memphis plays an easy schedule, they have the 3rd highest RPI over the last 3 seasons. Only NC and Louisville are slightly higher.

If link doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to cut and paste the graphic.

Here is the paragraph explaining the graphic:

March 13, 2009 Do Millionaire Coaches Earn Their Money?

The measuring stick for college basketball is the Ratings Percentage Index, or RPI, which measures a team's winning percentage against the difficulty of its schedule. A 50 is considered mediocre, while a 75 would be good for the top ranking this season. Since universities don't pay seven figures for "OK," each school can measure how much it is paying its coach for each point beyond mediocre line of 50, and generate an Elite Coach Value Score. The Wall Street Journal generated this data for coaches it could confirm are making more than $1 million with at least four years of tenure at their schools. The Value Score represents the amount of salary each school paid for every RPI point above 50 its team earned, on average, from 2006-2009. The lower the Value Score, the bigger the bang for the buck. Test yourself with a coaching salary quiz.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 10:19:28 am
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_CoachesNCAAA_20090312.html?mod=djemTEW

For all you who think Memphis plays an easy schedule, they have the 3rd highest RPI over the last 3 seasons. Only NC and Louisville are slightly higher.

If your selling that CUSA is in the same ballpark as the ACC, Big East, Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC, I'm not sold. Now is Memphis on a good run that will equal the Hogs 1990's run? Get back to me after a national championship and two more final 4 appearances.
Good is the enemy of great

Tone

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 10:19:28 am

If link doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to cut and paste the graphic.

Here is the paragraph explaining the graphic:

March 13, 2009 Do Millionaire Coaches Earn Their Money?

The measuring stick for college basketball is the Ratings Percentage Index, or RPI, which measures a team's winning percentage against the difficulty of its schedule. A 50 is considered mediocre, while a 75 would be good for the top ranking this season. Since universities don't pay seven figures for "OK," each school can measure how much it is paying its coach for each point beyond mediocre line of 50, and generate an Elite Coach Value Score. The Wall Street Journal generated this data for coaches it could confirm are making more than $1 million with at least four years of tenure at their schools. The Value Score represents the amount of salary each school paid for every RPI point above 50 its team earned, on average, from 2006-2009. The lower the Value Score, the bigger the bang for the buck. Test yourself with a coaching salary quiz.

This is not what the chart is indicating.  Memphis may very well have the 3rd highest rpi but this does not include all the teams.  This include teams with coaches that make over a million dollars.  There may be teams that have higher RPI's that have coaches that make less than a million.  Seems like Memphis is getting "average" return for their investment based upon this chart.  Of course most people would say getting to a final game is worth the cost. 

hogtheball

Big revelation: the chart tells me that Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and Memphis are the best teams and have the best-paid coaches.  And it also has me scratching my head wondering how in the world Creighton justifies a coach paid like the big guys???
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 14, 2009, 10:47:17 am
If your selling that CUSA is in the same ballpark as the ACC, Big East, Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC, I'm not sold. Now is Memphis on a good run that will equal the Hogs 1990's run? Get back to me after a national championship and two more final 4 appearances.
I'm not selling you on CUSA...expand your limited thinking if you can. I said their RPI is 3rd in the country over the last 3 years. Do you think they got that by playing in CUSA? Think before you type.

If you are talking about FF appearances overall, Memphis has had as many as Arkansas. If you are talking about only during Nolan's reign, he had 3 FF appearances. Calipari has had 2 FF appearances. He needs just one more to match Nolan's FF appearances and it's highly likely he'll get that in the next month.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 12:55:36 pm
I'm not selling you on CUSA...expand your limited thinking if you can. I said their RPI is 3rd in the country over the last 3 years. Do you think they got that by playing in CUSA? Think before you type.

Memphis plays 1/2 it's games in CUSA.

Out of conference, 1/2 their games are against teams that are on the level of Christian Brother's.
Now the remaining 5-7 games are against real teams. They lose about 1/2 of those every year.

If Cal ever came over to my house, I would have one of the big circus tents put over my house and have it fumigated with very strong chemicals afterwards.

hogtheball

If you are talking about FF appearances overall, Memphis has had as many as Arkansas. If you are talking about only during Nolan's reign, he had 3 FF appearances. Calipari has had 2 FF appearances. He needs just one more to match Nolan's FF appearances and it's highly likely he'll get that in the next month.

Enjoy Calipari's run in Memphis - after it's over, Memphis will look a lot like UNLV after Tark's run.   
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

donewithdale

Ark - 6 Final 4's  Memphis 3 Final 4's - you must be using 'Delta' math TiM

rzrbackrob

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2009, 01:39:01 pm
Ark - 6 Final 4's  Memphis 3 Final 4's - you must be using 'Delta' math TiM

The Final 4 Tiger High team in the 80's was wiped off the record book by the NCAA. So that would be: Tiger High 2, Hogs 6.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogtheball on March 14, 2009, 01:34:15 pm
Enjoy Calipari's run in Memphis - after it's over, Memphis will look a lot like UNLV after Tark's run.
I enjoyed Arkansas' run that ended 13 seasons ago. I am enjoying Memphis' run that has lasted the past 10 years and looks like it is going to last another 4 or 5 at least.

Memphis may well look like UNLV some day. I wish I could say that Arkansas is as good as UNLV now.