Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question from the undereducated

Started by Razor_Hawgs88, December 15, 2017, 08:47:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor_Hawgs88

I love the Razorbacks, but don't usually have time to follow recruiting throughout the year so I don't know a ton about how everything works. My question is when there is a coaching change like what happened here this year what happens to all the recruits that were offered and or committed to us under the previous coach? Does Arkansas have to honor those or can we pull them and allow the new coach to take the offers away and give them to players he wants to offer?

scooby21322

Offers can be rescinded at any time.  The question is more of tact for the new coach.  Will rescinding an offer burn bridges?  But yea, the new coach could wipe the slate clean if he wanted to.

Razor_Hawgs88

So, what does it look like CCM is doing?

scooby21322

To my knowledge, he hasn't rescinded any offers to commits.  McCalister and Hanspard had already decommitted before Morris was named as head coach. 

I don't know about offers to non-committed players.  I'd imagine some were rescinded, but I can't say.  I'm sure there are some on this board who would know.

If memory serves me right, Beilema rescinded some offers to some committed players when he came in.

Warrior Way 22

Quote from: Razor_Hawgs88 on December 15, 2017, 08:56:01 am
So, what does it look like CCM is doing?
It looks to me like he is honoring the offers given under the former regime. It's a tough line to toe. As someone already stated you don't want to burn bridges with high school coaches (especially those in Arkansas and Texas) but also want to recruit the guys that fit your system.  It looks like the only recruits he has backed off of are those that decocmitted after CBB was relieved of duties. CCM and his staff have also offered quite a few of their own recruits since taking over though. Gonna be interesting to see how all this pans out with so few available scholarships left.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

Razor_Hawgs88

Quote from: Warrior Way 22 on December 15, 2017, 09:10:52 am
Gonna be interesting to see how all this pans out with so few available scholarships left.

That's what I was thinking, he seems to be throwing out offers left and right so it would seem that someone somewhere is going to be let down, its just a matter of who

greenie

Before a recruit actually signs a letter of intent, there is nothing binding in place.  Either party can back out of a verbal commitment...which is all we have at this point.  We have an early signing period for the first time this year (new NCAA rule) that is Dec 20-22.  The next time they can sign is Feb 7 - April 1.  It will be interesting to see how many recruits take advantage of the early signing period.

From what I can see, CCM has honored all of verbal commitments taken by Bielema except for Jeremy Gibson (RB out of LA).  It is not uncommon for a new coach to come in and make changes to the verbal commitment list...keeping some and letting some go.  CCM has also done something typical by bringing some recruits that he had verbally committed to his previous program...likely just those he was really excited about and that fit what he is now trying to do.

One thing is for sure, CCM has come in and hit TX, AR, and OK really hard so far. I wasn't real excited about him when he was hired, but the guy has really been showing off on the recruiting trail.  Only time will tell, but color me impressed so far.

farmhawg

Quote from: Razor_Hawgs88 on December 15, 2017, 09:28:54 am
That's what I was thinking, he seems to be throwing out offers left and right so it would seem that someone somewhere is going to be let down, its just a matter of who
Some existing players will leave and it will work out.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

December 15, 2017, 09:44:47 am #8 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:56:25 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Razor_Hawgs88 on December 15, 2017, 09:28:54 am
Okay......if you actually go back and look more than a few of the offers "he seems to be throwing out offers left and right" are for guys who will be available in 2019 and beyond. Duh, that's the year after next when it comes to the recruiting world. So no, he doesn't appear to me to be particularly desperate when it comes to trying to land someone, anyone to fill this class. One other factor to consider: every HC has his own personal style/approach to both offense and defense. Therefore it would natural for that coach and his staff to target particular players who fit THAT style on each side of the ball. That means kids who might not have drawn a look or interest from a previous regime will get an offer from the new staff. Doesn't mean the new offers are being given out in a panic mode or without some very sound consideration.

ricepig

Quote from: scooby21322 on December 15, 2017, 09:05:02 am
To my knowledge, he hasn't rescinded any offers to commits.  McCalister and Hanspard had already decommitted before Morris was named as head coach. 

I don't know about offers to non-committed players.  I'd imagine some were rescinded, but I can't say.  I'm sure there are some on this board who would know.

If memory serves me right, Beilema rescinded some offers to some committed players when he came in.

Gibson and Gooden both weren't offered by the new staff, I know most think Gooden wasn't a commit, but a couple of writers said he told them he was. Seeing that he only has UAB and Memphis as his choices, I'd get he lacks the needed College Algebra for the SEC, despite graduating on Tuesday. That's just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me. Gibson didn't fit the style of back that Morris is wanting, and our numbers are tight.

scooby21322

That's right.  I forgot about Gibson.  My mistake.

Razor_Hawgs88

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 15, 2017, 09:44:47 am
Okay......if you actually go back and look more than a few of the offers "he seems to be throwing out offers left and right" are for guys who will be available in 2019 and beyond. Duh, that's the year after next when it comes to the recruiting world. So no, he doesn't appear to me to be particularly desperate when it comes to trying to land someone, anyone to fill this class. One other factor to consider: every HC has his own personal style/approach to both offense and defense. Therefore it would natural for that coach and his staff to target particular players who fit THAT style on each side of the ball. That means kids who might not have drawn a look or interest from a previous regime will get an offer from the new staff. Doesn't mean the new offers are being given out in a panic mode or without some very sound consideration.

And over reaction of the day goes to Vantage 8! Congrats on your success.

Now the fact is that I never said he seemed to be desperate or just trying to get commits for the sake of having them. It just seems like if we had per say 20 commits from players that were committed under CBB and can only sign 25 then why would he go out and offer double digit amounts of scholarships to other players. Someone somewhere is going to have to be let down.   Also, I understand the difference in playing styles and the need for different types of players, but that would lean toward the fact that he is going to have withdraw some offers that were made before he got here.

hawgwash

Quote from: Razor_Hawgs88 on December 15, 2017, 10:29:37 am
And over reaction of the day goes to Vantage 8! Congrats on your success.

Now the fact is that I never said he seemed to be desperate or just trying to get commits for the sake of having them. It just seems like if we had per say 20 commits from players that were committed under CBB and can only sign 25 then why would he go out and offer double digit amounts of scholarships to other players. Someone somewhere is going to have to be let down.   Also, I understand the difference in playing styles and the need for different types of players, but that would lean toward the fact that he is going to have withdraw some offers that were made before he got here.
I would say pretty much every school issues more "offers" than the number of spots they have available.  I think BB probably offered 100 or more for this year.  But clearly there are some understood conditions around those offers, or at least some of them.  If the player doesn't accept by a certain date, or if we get a couple more players at the same position before they make up their mind, I'm sure they know we may move on.  That's what supposedly happened with LaDarius Bishop.  And sometimes the offer means if so-and-so decides to go somewhere else then we want you.

Warrior Way 22

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 15, 2017, 09:44:47 am
Seems like he's trying to pick a fight here which is silly..nobody said anything about panic or being desperate until your reply.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

TexHog188

Given we had so few committed, I would think that most offers will remain.  That leaves plenty for CCM to fill with players that he thinks are better suited to his system.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody