Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have offered 3* DT Billy Ferrell from Fordyce, AR

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 07, 2017, 06:58:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DuckTalesLOL

New head coach Chad Morris has extended a new in-state offer for the Class of 2018.
Fordyce (Ark.) defensive tackle Billy Ferrell added a new offer from the Hogs Thursday night, just hours after Alabama jumped on board with an offer.
Billy Ferrell
Defensive tackle
RR: 5.6
Fordyce Senior
Fordyce, AR
6'2" 327 lbs
Class of 2018 - UNDECIDED
RANK 53 - POSITION
State - 10
"Coach (Barry) Lunney is the one that I talked to," Ferrell said. "He got me in touch with Coach Morris and they offered me. It feels real good, man, a dream come true. It's crazy to get two of these SEC offers in one day."
The athletic big man who also goes by the name "B.J." will be at UCLA next weekend before taking official visits to Alabama, Arkansas and Louisville in January. He has no set dates for those visits.
Ferrell, 6-2, 327, was a standout performer at Arkansas' camp last June. He has made strides in the classroom and could continue to roll in new offers over the next few weeks.
Arkansas has now offered a total of eight in-state players for 2018, and the Hogs have commitments from five of them.
The three remaining targets are Ferrell, Ashdown cornerback Ladarrius Bishop, and undecided quarterback Gerry Bohanon of Earle.

RebHog

Wow is that 3* a typo? I didn't know Alabama knew they even existed!   8) 8)

Sounds like a good first start for Morris.

hawgdavis

26.2Hog

Quote from: RebHog on December 07, 2017, 07:00:54 pm

They will bump him to a 4 star now that bama has offered.  They know that Nick knows.

Pig in the Pokey

Watch the HUDL of him, guys. Dude is a madman. Favorite in state recruit by far, He is

CORTEZ KENNEDY2.0
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TebowHater

Little bit confused why UCLA and Bama beat us to offering an in-state DL!!!! A position we certainly can never have enough of  ??? ???

(not blaming current staff by any means, just curious on that last staff's part)

RazorPiggie

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

hoggusamoungus

They once hired a 3* coach from Fordyce and that worked out pretty well for them.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 07, 2017, 07:15:42 pm
Recruiting Forum is there for a reason.

Yes...and I normally don't go in there.  That may be my new go-to board.
Retired Radio Host

IronHog

Quote from: TebowHater on December 07, 2017, 07:09:08 pm
Little bit confused why UCLA and Bama beat us to offering an in-state DL!!!! A position we certainly can never have enough of  ??? ???

(not blaming current staff by any means, just curious on that last staff's part)

Have you not watched the last 4 years?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Ugly Uncle

Bret's philosophy was to offer Arkansas kids late.  You can't make an offer to them then pull it because you will burn bridges if you do that.

That sounds good on the surface. I'm afraid, however, that it just made our home town boys feel like they were taken for granted and under appreciated.  It ended up being a bad move. 
Retired Radio Host

Hogfan46

They were most likely waiting for him to be fully academically qualified. That was their philosophy before offering.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 07, 2017, 07:26:50 pm
They were most likely waiting for him to be fully academically qualified. That was their philosophy before offering.

Uh huh..

HogBreath

Flips flops and reggae.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Pudgepork

The previous staff wouldn't offer until they knew grades were good to go.  The article said he had made improvements in his grades so the offers start rolling in.  We also suspect that Bama will offer just to keep the player from going to another sec team.  I'm sure they see potential but if the get enuff 4 or 5 star commits at that position, they will string him along hoping other sec teams move on

KVG

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 07, 2017, 07:03:47 pm
They will bump him to a 4 star now that bama has offered.  They know that Nick knows.
This is exactly how it works

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 07, 2017, 07:24:46 pm
Bret's philosophy was to offer Arkansas kids late.  You can't make an offer to them then pull it because you will burn bridges if you do that.

That sounds good on the surface. I'm afraid, however, that it just made our home town boys feel like they were taken for granted and under appreciated.  It ended up being a bad move.
that wont even be a problem for coach morris b/c he will actually put in the time with the high school coaches and have a real relationship with them.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TebowHater

B Ray

no typo, with the quality depth at Bama, Saban recruits good players from other states to keep the competition from getting better recruits

Atlhogfan1

Academics.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on December 07, 2017, 08:25:45 pm
Darius Philon was a 3 star.

And a gift. 

I can't see this being a commitable offer from Bama.

At that size, Morris thinking of keeping 3-4 and this being a NT?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hollywood870

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 08:29:31 pm
And a gift. 

He could slim down and be great in a 4-3. He looks super quick at 330.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 07, 2017, 07:03:47 pm

Everybody repeat after me... AND THAT"S WHY RECRUITING RANKINGS ARE SHEEP DIP..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 08:29:31 pm
And a gift. 

He said he wanted to be multiple on defense, disguise coverages and bring pressure.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on December 07, 2017, 08:39:47 pm
He said he wanted to be multiple on defense, disguise coverages and bring pressure.

Heard it which sounds great.  Hope we are aggressive. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 07, 2017, 08:31:27 pm
He could slim down and be great in a 4-3. He looks super quick at 330.
4.85 40 @ 330lnbs. FREAK.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 07, 2017, 07:28:07 pm
The previous staff wouldn't offer until they knew grades were good to go.  The article said he had made improvements in his grades so the offers start rolling in.  We also suspect that Bama will offer just to keep the player from going to another sec team.  I'm sure they see potential but if the get enuff 4 or 5 star commits at that position, they will string him along hoping other sec teams move on

Here's the stupidity in that and why Bert's crew is thankfully gone and they never got it together.

You CAN offer an in-state kid, w/ stipulation on the academics. You CAN make it very clear that you love the kid, you want the kid, you need the kid, you support the kid etc etc. and make it very clear that if the kid doesn't hold his end of the bargain in the classroom, in the community by staying out of trouble and away from drugs and bad influences then your hands are tied if the grades or test scores aren't good enough for him to be eligible.  If they get busted for a sex crime, or a robbery or getting into fights then your hands are tied and you can't bring them onto your team.

If the kids know the deal up-front they'll either work their asses off to hold up their end and grow as young men and come to Fayetteville ready and more mature. If they don't then you don't sign them, or you place them in a JUCO that is friendly and sign someone else that doesn't screw up and hope in 2 years that kid has it together and can contribute.

If you ignore them and don't recruit them very hard until the very end then you get what Bielema got.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Piggfoot

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 07, 2017, 10:34:22 pm
Here's the stupidity in that and why Bert's crew is thankfully gone and they never got it together.

You CAN offer an in-state kid, w/ stipulation on the academics. You CAN make it very clear that you love the kid, you want the kid, you need the kid, you support the kid etc etc. and make it very clear that if the kid doesn't hold his end of the bargain in the classroom, in the community by staying out of trouble and away from drugs and bad influences then your hands are tied if the grades or test scores aren't good enough for him to be eligible.  If they get busted for a sex crime, or a robbery or getting into fights then your hands are tied and you can't bring them onto your team.

If the kids know the deal up-front they'll either work their asses off to hold up their end and grow as young men and come to Fayetteville ready and more mature. If they don't then you don't sign them, or you place them in a JUCO that is friendly and sign someone else that doesn't screw up and hope in 2 years that kid has it together and can contribute.

If you ignore them and don't recruit them very hard until the very end then you get what Bielema got.
Of course it all comes out in the wash but I don't think you can conditionally offer a kid. It goes with out saying that  frank talk is needed with the prospect and his parents. Unfortunately reporters and fans want to know what's going on and that fact can complicate matters. Grades  and police records for juveniles are private.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Cracker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 07, 2017, 07:07:51 pm
Watch the HUDL of him, guys. Dude is a madman. Favorite in state recruit by far, He is

CORTEZ KENNEDY2.0

We should have learned the same thing with Bijhon Jackson. He did just fine here...... but there's no reason to start these comparisons.

Good on CCM for getting started early and often.
I'm on a mission from God with half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses.

hit it.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 07, 2017, 08:56:21 pm
4.85 40 @ 330lnbs. FREAK.

It's 5.31 according to 247 which is a bit more believable

Keep em coming PIP!!

IronHog

Quote from: Cracker on December 08, 2017, 01:32:51 am
We should have learned the same thing with Bijhon Jackson. He did just fine here...... but there's no reason to start these comparisons.

Good on CCM for getting started early and often.

Hopefully the new staff will have better S&C

Jackson never came close to being in shape at UA
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

#1 STUNNA

bkjbearcat

And that's one of the many reason's why Bert isn't here anymore.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

King Kong

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 07, 2017, 07:26:50 pm

This is one thing I never agreed with, you can offer anyone but everyone knows you can't sign your LOI if you don't qualify.   How does that hurt you in any way?  Just let the kid know you want him and think enough of him to offer.  Who know maybe that is the incentive he needs to make it in the classroom.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 09, 2017, 09:59:52 am
This is one thing I never agreed with, you can offer anyone but everyone knows you can't sign your LOI if you don't qualify.   How does that hurt you in any way?  Just let the kid know you want him and think enough of him to offer.  Who know maybe that is the incentive he needs to make it in the classroom.

They actually can sign the LOI.. it just becomes invalid if they don't make the grades and still counts against one of the 25 you can sign for the year.  However... if you are only planning on signing 15 because that's all the scholarship spots you have... im not sure how it would hurt you to sign 5-10 that you know won't qualify to place them for the future possibly.

hawgwash

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 09, 2017, 09:59:52 am
My question there is when would you know he has qualified?  Signing day has always been in February, and now there's also an early signing period in December.  If the kid's on the bubble, when/how do you say sorry you can't sign.  And if he does sign and doesn't get eligible that counts as one of your 25 for the year.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgwash on December 09, 2017, 10:09:02 am
My question there is when would you know he has qualified?  Signing day has always been in February, and now there's also an early signing period in December.  If the kid's on the bubble, when/how do you say sorry you can't sign.  And if he does sign and doesn't get eligible that counts as one of your 25 for the year.

I know it takes more work keeping up with were the kid is but doesn't other schools sign and place.  Like I said everyone knows you have to make the grade.  His HS coach knows, his parents know, and it's not like your going to offer a hundred of them.  Also I don't thing you would do the December deal with them.  Losing the scholarship once a player is signed is a hurdle though.  I do believe CM will work very hard in this area to make sure we get the great athlete who BB would have blown off way too early.

nwahogfan1

We keep saying the star rating is secondary to who offers.  Coaches get it.

hogsfan31

Bc he probably wasn't uncommon enough (eye roll). This staff I'm sure isn't going to let anything hold them back from offering. If the kid doesn't make it, he doesn't make it and they'll move on.

NotSoFastMyFriend

#1 STUNNA

cardinalandwhite

With all these offers rolling in, what are our chances?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Dwight_K_Shrute

Good God we should have been the first to offer the kid.  BB has no one to blame but himself for his timely demise. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 11, 2017, 10:46:58 pm
Good God we should have been the first to offer the kid.  BB has no one to blame but himself for his timely demise.
Thank the Gods it turned out the way it did. A month ago all was lost and we had teh yankee and teh fatty, with little hope in sight and a board that thought it impossible that a Mike Leach would want our job. Now, we have the nations top recruiter on our staff which is a team of young texas beasts (beastexas), and AD from Houston , HC from Dallas, and more excitement than we've had since 2011.

HogNTX

This guy is looking more and more like an important get

HogWildBison2011

Two people are reporting "Good News" for hogs in regards to the in home visit with Ferrell today. I do not know what that said news is yet.

Both Danny & RD