Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's be honest...NMST was fool's gold

Started by twistitup, October 02, 2017, 12:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wildturkey8

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 02, 2017, 01:01:11 pm
A very good point? His point was that nmsu isn't Alabama.....outstanding and astute observation.
You are brilliant.

SPAL

Quote from: MTBrookHog on October 02, 2017, 01:01:07 pm
As I said in another thread, I can't wait to see how great Coastal Carolina is built up to be when we play them.

More likely that clowns like you will be on here railing on the team if we don't beat them as bad as Western Illinois did (52-10)

You will do it.

rhames

Quote from: wildturkey8 on October 02, 2017, 01:00:13 pm
Never said that. You are paranoid and are looking for bogeymen at this point.  This you are not a loyal fan if you point out some weakness is not a winner for you.

Ummm what?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PorkRinds

twistitup

Quote from: rhames on October 02, 2017, 12:58:41 pm

I did.

It was pretty much what I expected. Their QB, who was expected fo put up some numbers did.

We held them to 11 rushing yards and never lost control of the game.

If their QB can put up big numbers against our D...what will SEC teams do?

We either improve quickly or we will get embarrassed in our conference
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

wildturkey8

Arkansas should win Saturday, we have a better team than USCE.  I don't believe their qb is as good as NMSU's qb.

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 01:07:14 pm

well, you assume that the sec qb's are as good as that guy. From what I have seen, he's better than what SC, LSU and OM have. Mizzu has a good Qb but they are a flaming crater.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Go ahead and add "n" at the beginning and "u" after the "e" to the fourth word in your avatar text.

rhames

If we give up 11 yards rushing and 350 yards passing to any sec team that's probably a positive.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Athog

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:39:12 pm
If we play like we did against NMST - we will get slaughtered in SEC play...

I know  it's a down year for the SEC - but not THAT down. Teams will be picking apart the TCU, NMST, and A&M films - they will exploit our weaknesses (and there are many of them).

I am a huge fan, but a realistic one too - NMST was a decent Sunbelt team with subpar talent- not a good meter for improvement when we play against some of the toughest teams in the nation in the next month.

I hope we come out and crush USCe but I wouldn't put any money on it. NMST was fools gold

Yeah I like your research the SEC is up this year! SARCASM Off

Deep Shoat

There QB is a better passer than anyone we'll play in the SEC.  They have an NFL WR.  The QB and that RB we held to nada are both getting a lot of looks from league scouts.  Add to that the fact that we didn't even try to blitz, except a couple of times, and whatever.

Beating Bama is still a pipe dream.  Beating Auburn is going to be a tall order.  Everyone else in the league?  Winnable.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 02, 2017, 01:10:31 pm
Go ahead and add "n" at the beginning and "u" after the "e" to the fourth word in your avatar text.

You prolly just need to go ahead and spell it out...many on here won't get it!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

imtad16

The SEC isn't known for it's pass happy offenses. We probably won't face a team that wants to pass so much again. We held on to the ball to keep them from passing more and he had 38 attempts. Look at all the NFL talent that comes from Group of 5 teams. Kareem Hunt is putting up unprecidented numbers for a rookie in the NFL. He played at Toledo. The MAC and Sun Belt are very comparable conferences. They had a good senior QB, RB (who we shut down), and WR that was 6'6 and is an NFL prospect. The WR hurt us the most. You can't discount the team having talented skill position players because they are in the Sun Belt.

I hate the big plays no matter who it is against, but they have a high powered offense and pass a ton. They have a unique offense we aren't going to see in the SEC. All factors. I will agree I am a little concerned about facing Bentley(helps having Deebo Samuel out though), Patterson, Fitzgerald, Hurts, and Stidham, but it's not really because of anything I saw against NMSU. It's more because of the big plays we have given up with freshmen in the defensive backfield in general and the lack of sacks so far this season.

jkstock04

I know  it's a down year for the SEC - but not THAT down. Teams will be picking apart the TCU, NMST, and A&M films - they will exploit our weaknesses (and there are many of them).

I am a huge fan, but a realistic one too - NMST was a decent Sunbelt team with subpar talent- not a good meter for improvement when we play against some of the toughest teams in the nation in the next month.

I hope we come out and crush USCe but I wouldn't put any money on it. NMST was fools gold

To me it wasn't fools gold...game went about like I figured it would if we came out with good effort...which we did. I don't think anything has changed better or worse.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GolfnHog

Hmmm, you say the SEC is down in your 1st paragraph yet your 2nd paragraph says it's the toughest. Not sure they are exclusive to each other this year. Which one you really want to go with in your thought process?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Ben

Word to the wise in summation:

New Mexico St was decent on offense. They had some offensive talent and was going to put our defense to the test, but we still knew Arkansas would win.

However, from what we saw, improvements need to be made defensively. The win is what matters, but to keep winning, Arkansas is going to have better the secondary. there wil issues in the SEC vs better athletes in the spread if they are allowing QB's that much time and letting them shred them in the air. Arkansas gave up more passing yards to New Mexico St than vs TCU and Texas A&M nearly combined. They have at least 3 other teams on the schedule that runs the spread offense.

Side note: You have negative people on here who are pessimistic about everything. However, just because someone points out weaknesses that have to be fixed for future success, doesn't mean they are down on the team or mad because they won. They just want corrections to bring more wins. Not live in the moment for 1 win and then lose 3 in a row.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Tiredofhogssucking

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:47:41 pm
Everybody had AU circled as a W, what happened to that. NO TEAM in the SEC has more problems than we do. Oline, Defense, and Special Teams have major issues, MAJOR - but according to CBB everything can be corrected. We shall see...
Yea...I keep hearing how everything can be corrected.  In year 5, I would think that some of the same issues we've been having since year 1, SHOULD be getting fixed SOON! 
Special Teams
O line
D line pressure
Defense breakdowns for chunk plays (usually for scores).

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 02, 2017, 12:43:54 pm
I saw them as a dangerous team and the Hogs went out and took care of business. Bottom Line.
Yup...I agree with you on this.  Now the boys are getting ready for USC(e) and here's to hoping the Hogs get fast (as usual) and keep away from just trying to protect the lead...No more conservative play - BALLS TO THE WALL!!!!

majp51

Ehh, not fool's gold, just not revealing. All we really learned from the game was that the team has not given up on Bielema.

factchecker

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
We're you at the game? Our D got shredded, we needed 6 chances to punch it in from the 2, we still don't have a FG....and we played NMST

It's all good....

Was there in the South Outdoor Club.  Was pretty fun atmosphere, concessions was great.  I suggest trying the chicken bacon ranch sandwhich.

Also, it took us 6 tries because their defender held Stewart on the Steamboat package jump pass.  Kelley had him wide open for a TD.  You'd know that if you were truly there.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 01:57:49 pm
Was there in the South Outdoor Club.  Was pretty fun atmosphere, concessions was great.  I suggest trying the chicken bacon ranch sandwhich.

Also, it took us 6 tries because their defender held Stewart on the Steamboat package jump pass.  Kelley had him wide open for a TD.  You'd know that if you were truly there.

was there- concession lines were still VERY long on the west side....into the 4th qtr long. Food was decent - everyone got diet instead of DP because the lines were crossed. Sloooow service times

We still looked weak trying to punch it in from inside the 5 - against a Sunbelt opponent not known for their D

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 02:07:14 pm
was there- concession lines were still VERY long on the west side....into the 4th qtr long. Food was decent - everyone got diet instead of DP because the lines were crossed. Sloooow service times

We still looked weak trying to punch it in from inside the 5 - against a Sunbelt opponent not known for their D

So that's why the seats were empty, you need to post this down in the Trash in the crowd thread.

Atlhogfan1

This is stupid.  Nothing in the game was misleading.  Our defense struggled to get pressure.  We don't disguise our blitzes, what few we try, well.  Our secondary seems more interested in not leaving their area sometimes than making plays on the ball.  Best play of the day came from a LB getting back when the field had been shortened.  Agim is so much better than everyone else on defense it isn't close.  The next month will illustrate the talent gap on defense.  Our offense didn't do anything to mislead us either.  Ran the ball well against an overmatched team.   We have some emerging playmakers that would have been great to have gotten more involved vs TCU.  AA is still a pretty good QB although everything still happens too slowly.  I will add our red zone execution still too inconsistent (being nice).  We make it way too hard on ourselves. 

I think all in all, we have an ok team who will get better as the season goes if they don't get beaten down mentally in a brutal October schedule. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

twistitup

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 02, 2017, 02:11:00 pm
This is stupid.  Nothing in the game was misleading.  Our defense struggled to get pressure.  We don't disguise our blitzes, what few we try, well.  Our secondary seems more interested in not leaving their area sometimes than making plays on the ball.  Best play of the day came from a LB getting back when the field had been shortened.  Agim is so much better than everyone else on defense it isn't close.  The next month will illustrate the talent gap on defense.  Our offense didn't do anything to mislead us either.  Ran the ball well against an overmatched team.   We have some emerging playmakers that would have been great to have gotten more involved vs TCU.  AA is still a pretty good QB although everything still happens too slowly. 

I think all in all, we have an ok team who will get better as the season goes if they don't get beaten down mentally in a brutal October schedule. 

We are slow as a whole- it will be the difference maker this year and it will show up more in the SEC, not against NMSU.

Strength, Size, and Speed are everything - do we have any of the 3?

Agim is a beast - we need more of his caliber

factchecker

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 02:07:14 pm

New Mexico State was known for having a good Sunbelt defense.  They had already amassed 12 sacks before they played us.  They also never gave up more than 200 yards rushing before they played us.

They held Arizona State to 79 yards rushing on 40 attempts.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

AFWarrior83

Arkansas is down, but so is the conference in general. Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn are the only teams that I feel are truly above us. The rest of the conference is wide open. We are a mediocre, but so is Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, etc. We played TCU close till the latter part of the 4th quarter, and lost a game to A&M that we should have won. It's hard to believe, but we are still capable of making it to a bowl game.

Having said that, I still think CBB is not the long term answer.
Hogville member since 2005.

Bacon_Bitz

NMSU had 20 SRs or rs-SRs in their starting lineup.  This is their year to make a run in the Fun Belt.  I would take Jaleel Scott in a heartbeat.  We held the #5 passing attack in the NCAA to slightly less than season average, and on top of that completely eliminated their ability to run the ball effectively.  Sure, there's some things to be fixed but the game plan worked and the Hogs beat the spread. 

hogblitz

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 02, 2017, 12:53:53 pm
As much negativity that could be gleaned from this season thus far, I'm gonna try to look at the positives...could be worse!

I believe we would have lost to Troy last Saturday.  They are better than New Mexico State. 

Tejano Jawg

I don't know anyone who confused New Mexico State for Penn State. It was a comfortable win over an average non-conference team. That's about it. In it, we looked good at times, and not so good at times. Just like all the games this year. Hopefully the coaching staff got something out of it. Or, a few players got some confidence out of it.

It all starts over next Saturday. We'll re-assess then.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jcbville

You're kind of under selling the talent they do have on that team. That QB could start easily in the SEC. As could that WR and RB.

factchecker

Quote from: hogblitz on October 02, 2017, 02:23:30 pm
I believe we would have lost to Troy last Saturday.  They are better than New Mexico State.

They are better than New Mexico State....... by 3 points.

The same amount they beat LSU by.

We beat New Mexico State by 18.

Nice try though.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

247Hog

Can't wait to hear what people say after NMST plays....

Sat, Oct 28   
vs

Arkansas State
8:00 PM ET
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogsanity

Everyon acts like it was a nailbiter. Hogs were up 21-0. We see it alot when a team gets up like that on a ateam they shold handle they kind of shut down. That and our D is still slow.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WPS2k18

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 02, 2017, 12:53:52 pm
It was a legendary day at Razorback Stadium.  I have it on good authority that ESPN is about to announce plans to film a 30 for 30 episode about it.
I was hearing the same thing
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

texas tush hog

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:43:51 pm
THEY.  ARE.  MAD.   WE.  WON!!!!!

Just like the fans who were mad about the attendance being better than expected.

They want the program to fail and catch fire.

When it doesn't they try and start the fire themselves.

The program has not failed or caught fire but it sure smells like smoke.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on October 02, 2017, 12:51:41 pm
I don't think anyone is making anymore of the game than it was a victory. As far as USCe being a solid team, no more then we are. They did beat NC St, but then needed a FG as time expired to beat La Tech, so not a world beater. I think if we can run the ball effectively, around 180-200 yards, then we can escape with a W.
Yep, about right. If we can run it, then we will be able to pass it too.

How good is Bentley in regards to scrambling?

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on October 02, 2017, 02:55:40 pm
Yep, about right. If we can run it, then we will be able to pass it too.

How good is Bentley in regards to scrambling?

I don't know, I haven't watched them play this year, hopefully he's Mallett like in the scrambling department.  😋

MTBrookHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 02, 2017, 01:03:48 pm
More likely that clowns like you will be on here railing on the team if we don't beat them as bad as Western Illinois did (52-10)

You will do it.
And you sir would be wrong! I am not a Hater. So, take your name calling and shove it!

Sweet Feet

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 02:31:47 pm
They are better than New Mexico State....... by 3 points.

The same amount they beat LSU by.

We beat New Mexico State by 18.

Nice try though.
Transitive property doesn't always work. Were MTSU and Kentucky better than Arkansas last year just because they beat Mizzou? Or was Arkansas better than Florida St last year because they beat Florida by more points?

factchecker

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 02, 2017, 03:31:51 pm
Transitive property doesn't always work. Were MTSU and Kentucky better than Arkansas last year just because they beat Mizzou? Or was Arkansas better than Florida St last year because they beat Florida by more points?

According to hogville it only works whenever it makes the Hogs look bad.

Can't win even when we do win.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bigmac2

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 02, 2017, 01:10:31 pm

Holy crap. I was trying to figure out the heck "nyoune" is. Then I figured it out and was looking at the wrong avatar. Mods should ban all spelling test.

hogblitz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 02, 2017, 12:49:02 pm
so, WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT WE ARE.

A 6 win team. Maybe 7 if we win Saturday. I KNOW you didnt think this team would contend, did you?
Is winning 6 or 7 games contending? 

sowmonella

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:48:44 pm
I wasn't too far off - screw the score....look at the stat line, those fact should scare the shiite out of you

I don't think many had AU penciled in as a win.  That pipe is getting to your head.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on October 02, 2017, 12:41:20 pm
All last week everyone was saying we shouldn't sleep on them. They have a chance for an upset. Hogs take care of business in a game that went pretty much the way every one with a brain expected.

Can't have it both ways.

Twist was actually one of the posters that made a thread calling it a trap game lol. He talked about how good their passing attack was and we shouldn't take them lightly. Now that we beat them, he is warning us that beating them proves nothing and we should still be scared. Dude is a Class A troll.

sowmonella

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 03:46:40 pm
Twist was actually one of the posters that made a thread calling it a trap game lol. He talked about how good their passing attack was and we shouldn't take them lightly. Now that we beat them, he is warning us that beating them proves nothing and we should still be scared. Dude is a Class A troll.

He's Class D.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

gchamblee

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 02, 2017, 12:53:20 pm
Lol. Nobody expected us to beat Auburn. That's silly. Well, maybe a few unrealistic folks did. Fools gold? I think that term implies you get something you think is great but turns out not to be. I don't think anyone is saying nmsu is a great win. Mostly, I see people trying to point out some things that went right while acknowledging that it wasn't a huge test.

As far as THE SEC goes, outside of bama, Georgia, and Auburn.....nobody is by far and away better. We all stink pretty bad. I think we should be able to beat SC. But thanks for the reality shot.....it was much needed.

I've bumped heads with you before, but I admire the way you handle the baseball forum and you seem to be a pretty reasonable guy. People think I am an agenda pusher, so I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your contributions to the board, even when I don't agree. I'd have a beer with ya.

gchamblee

Quote from: wildturkey8 on October 02, 2017, 12:53:59 pm
He made a very good point, you are too sensitive and have lost some rationality.

No he didnt lol. Last week he was warning us how good this team was and it was a trap game. This week he is telling us how crappy they are and we should be shamed of ourselves for beating them by less than 100. Haha, made a good point.

PonderinHog

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:57:17 pm
They are still good for a Sunbelt team...and we aren't looking good for an SEC team

Did you look at the stats for the game?

Top 10 passing offense in the nation. We beat them. Deal with it.