Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris is a home run.

Started by ambien_sky, December 06, 2017, 08:44:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:38:37 am
Do you think anyone could recruit Clemson levels at SMU?

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas is more similar than recruiting to SMU than it is Clemson?

Ryan, you gotta remember. Thinking is pretty hard for some of these fellas

transplant

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 10:36:51 am
All the HS coaches know and respect him, which allows him to get his foot in the door.  He showed at Clemson he can get commitments from elite talent. Were you expecting a ton of Texas players to sign for Clemson year in, year out?  I know putting two and two together might not be your strong suit, but use google and try to think independently.  Or just be mad. Up to you.

Not mad, sad.
I want to like him. 
I want him to "check all the boxes" for me.
It's been beaten into my head that we have to get players to compete.
I can't find where he was able to improve recruiting at SMU (please note, I would not expect him to beat the top 6 Texas teams for recruits regularly) even though he has all these inroads with all the Texas coaches.

I want to believe.  I just need proof.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 08:55:51 am
Stand up double at best.

Well unless he brings Venables, which IMO ain't happening.
More like we reached on a swinging third strike in the dirt.

RME

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 10:40:30 am
Not mad, sad.
I want to like him. 
I want him to "check all the boxes" for me.
It's been beaten into my head that we have to get players to compete.
I can't find where he was able to improve recruiting at SMU (please note, I would not expect him to beat the top 6 Texas teams for recruits regularly) even though he has all these inroads with all the Texas coaches.

I want to believe.  I just need proof.

Because he's recruiting to SMU against Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, etc...

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas against Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, etc. is the same as recruiting to SMU against those teams?

This isn't that difficult. Some posters are so transitive-property minded it's astounding.

Hogsmo Kramer

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas is more similar than recruiting to SMU than it is Clemson?

I think if we're going to talk about his recruiting then just one side of the equation doesn't show the full picture.

His recruiting at SMU was less then stellar, and in fact not much better than June Jones.

Don't show me what he recruited at Clemson then ignore his inability to recruit at SMU when he was the HC.

Especially if he has all these Texas connections everyone keeps touting and SMU is in freaking Dallas.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

adroitful

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 06, 2017, 09:03:06 am
All of you guys that know for a fact he will fail, do us a huge favor, tell us who is going to be the national champions.

I mean we have so many that can tell the future, why don't we all get rich off of vegas?

I would say probably Clemson or Alabama if I were to put any money on it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:42:33 am
Because he's recruiting to SMU against Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, etc...

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas against those teams is the same as recruiting to SMU against those teams?

This isn't that difficult. Some posters are so transitive-property minded it's astounding.
he's right, ya'll. Chad knows all the coaches , and our AD from Houston dont hurt either. At least we arent listening to two damn yankees tell us how recruitin minnesota and florida was the key to rebuilding Arkansas. We need to be in Texas, Texas, and Texas, and then some Okie and Louisiana to go with it,.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 10:44:12 am
I would say probably Clemson or Alabama if I were to put any money on it.
every year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:43:26 am
I think if we're going to talk about his recruiting then just one side of the equation doesn't show the full picture.

His recruiting at SMU was less then stellar, and in fact not much better than June Jones.

Don't show me what he recruited at Clemson then ignore his inability to recruit at SMU when he was the HC.

Especially if he has all these Texas connections everyone keeps touting and SMU is in freaking Dallas.

"Inability."

He took his "lowly-rated" recruits and improved his record every year he was there. To me, that shows he's able to identify and develop his talent.

That's more important to me than what some nerds at 247 Sports decide.

The real Hogules

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 06, 2017, 08:44:19 am
The people who are upset about this hire aren't paying attention.  He will bring a dangerous offense to Arkansas,  and the fact that he is targeting Brent Venables (whether he gets him or not)  shows he is serious about a good defensive coordinator.  I also think he will be a great recruiter.  I suggest everyone go watch some videos of Clemson when he was offensive coordinator,  and SMU,  and look at his offensive schemes.  He is a great offensive mind.  I, for one, am excited about this hire.

Check out what the Clemson board thinks about the hire:    //  https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Some-Arky-fans-aint-so-happy-gettin-The-Chad-1763388?tstart=0

If this is your idea of a homerun, you must play baseball on an extremely small field!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

WashitawTiger

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 06, 2017, 08:44:19 am
The people who are upset about this hire aren't paying attention.  He will bring a dangerous offense to Arkansas,  and the fact that he is targeting Brent Venables (whether he gets him or not)  shows he is serious about a good defensive coordinator.  I also think he will be a great recruiter.  I suggest everyone go watch some videos of Clemson when he was offensive coordinator,  and SMU,  and look at his offensive schemes.  He is a great offensive mind.  I, for one, am excited about this hire.

Check out what the Clemson board thinks about the hire:    //  https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Some-Arky-fans-aint-so-happy-gettin-The-Chad-1763388?tstart=0

Home Run? More like a pinch hit sac fly until he wins his first SEC game.

hawgdavis

Ever been to Clemson or for that matter have you ever been in upstate South Carolina. I'll just go ahead and tell you I've been to Fayetteville and Clemson, I would pick Fayetteville. It is close to Ga but that's it. We're close to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana so yea we should be able to recruit like them. Dabo wasn't exactly burning it up his first few years.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:44:40 am
"Inability."

He took his "lowly-rated" recruits and improved his record every year he was there. To me, that shows he's able to identify and develop his talent.

That's more important to me than what some nerds at 247 Sports decide.

Ah the coach em up argument. They used that for BB too.

Don't yell at me about 247 rankings, one of your Morris butt buddies is the one that posted it up.

The Kig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 10:33:37 am
Might want to brush up on SMU's history in recruiting; doesn't matter who the coach is 4*s are not gonna be lining up to play for a dumpster fire program.  What does the metroplex have to do with anything?  Sure, there's a lot of talent. There's also TCU 20 miles away.  If you want to be mad about the hire and nitpick negatives that is your prerogative.

No need to "brush up"...I was around for the Pony Express...

The point of the metroplex should be fairly obvious, but I will spell it out.  If he is such an ace recruiter and is also in one of the largest metro areas in Texas, then he should have been able to sell what he was doing to at least one recruit to stay home... He didn't.   Tom Herman got his promotion because he was able to get 4 and 5 stars to stay in Houston.  So he's either an ace recruiter or not.. Ace recruiters can draw talent to their school.  Easy recruiting is getting a call from Saban.
Poker Porker

RME

Quote from: WashitawTiger on December 06, 2017, 10:46:23 am
Home Run? More like a pinch hit sac fly until he wins his first SEC game.

Sometimes all you need in a pinch-hit sac fly to win a game.

Hogsfan1981

This is a underwhelming hire at best. A&M got a home run...FSU got a home run hire.......Florida got a great hire. He is an aggie and Texas A&M didn't even look at this guy.

je100

Quote from: The Kig on December 06, 2017, 10:47:21 am

The point of the metroplex should be fairly obvious, but I will spell it out.  If he is such an ace recruiter and is also in one of the largest metro areas in Texas, then he should have been able to sell what he was doing to at least one recruit to stay home... He didn't.   Tom Herman got his promotion because he was able to get 4 and 5 stars to stay in Houston.  So he's either an ace recruiter or not.. Ace recruiters can draw talent to their school.  Easy recruiting is getting a call from Saban.

Then would you say that the talent that he worked for would be measured by the results on the field, or should they be measured by 247 rankings?

The real Hogules

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:42:33 am

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas against Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, etc. is the same as recruiting to SMU against those teams?

I can hardly wait until this recruiting class is signed and the excuses will begin. Then next year when he's had an entire year to recruit and athletes have had a chance to see his awesome offense and the results are similar to his first year at Arkansas, I just wonder if all of those praising him as the 2nd coming of PBB will have enough sense to see what many already see????

Kevin

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 06, 2017, 09:37:21 am
I think the OP is exactly right.

If Morris had stayed at Clemson and had been the OC for seven years at a program that won the national championship and has been to the playoffs for three years -- accomplishments he helped to pave the way for -- everyone would look at him in a different light. For all the love of Clemson's defense coordinator, the offense has done better over the years than the D.

That he took the SMU job and went from 1-11 the year before to 7-5 is being discounted by those who don't look at SMU as the worst program in the country, which it certainly competes for. It's the flip side of how people looked at Bielema, who had a huge record of wins and three Rose Bowl appearances after taking over a winning program... the record looked great on paper....

Plus, the fact that he is from Texas, went to school at Texas A&M, coached high school football in Texas, and at SMU ... all of that is a huge plus in recruiting in Texas, which is key for Arkansas. This makes so much more sense than hiring someone from Wisconsin.

Not sure I would call Morris a home run -- he wasn't my first choice -- but we will know whether he was a home run in three years... He's easily a double...

if if's and but's were candy & nuts.

if we look physical different, and they are disciplined, and look like they are getting better, then he is off on the right foot.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bellavistamike

You know, I've been following these threads about CCM for the past couple of days and the one thing I've found is that there sure are a lot of miserable people who post on Hogville... Just saying...

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on December 06, 2017, 10:48:37 am
People forget, Ole Bobby was not the most stellar recruiter.

He was able to go out and get those 3 stars that he saw promise in, develop them, and make a pretty strong program of it.

How many of these highly touted lineman that came to Bert never materialized into anything?

Morris has proven when he has the resources he can recruit at a high level as well as develop the lower level talent that he is given.

BP had an established winning record at Louisville before coming here.

This guys best year at SMU and the AAC is 7 wins, that's not even close.

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:51:37 am
BP had an established winning record at Louisville before coming here.

This guys best year at SMU and the AAC is 7 wins, that's not even close.

Bret Bielema had an established winning record at Wisconsin before coming here.

Next.

Plus, you missed Canaan's point completely and tried to pivot the conversation to another talking point, which I just blew up in your face.

TDHawgs

Just remember.. our previous coach had Three Rose Bowl appearances and we see how he turned out. Gonna give Morris a chance, he did unreal at Clemson and took a terrible SMU and turned them around.  Who knows what he might do here? Gotta give him a chance though.

Bigfoot

Several of Arkansas' top commits are thrilled about the idea of playing for Morris.

hawaiianhogster

This coach Wil win and we will put him on a pedastal because of it. Thing is he will do it the right way. Every time I read a post hammering Morrison the more I see he is our bet chance of winning SECT and NC.

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

RME

Quote from: elkhog on December 06, 2017, 10:54:12 am
And Arkansas isn't?

You think Arkansas is harder to recruit to than SMU?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:52:20 am

Next.

So let's go the opposite.

Hire a dude with a losing record in a lesser conference.

Genius.

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Kig on December 06, 2017, 10:47:21 am

The point that recruiting at SMU is next to impossible should be fairly obvious, but I will spell it out. Program hasn't been relevant since the death penalty, and he inherited a 1-11 team. In addition, doubt many of those 4 and 5 stars in the metroplex have the test scores to get into SMU. But, I could be wrong. Maybe Texas elementary, middle and high schools really are that much better than Arkansas schools. Wouldn't shock me after perusing this website.

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:55:01 am
So let's go the opposite.

Hire a dude with a losing record in a lesser conference.

Genius.

As opposed to what? Hiring a guy with a winning percentage better than Bielema's at Wisconsin?

Bielema was an established winner. He sucked here. According to you, Morris, a loser, will suck here too.
Therefore, the only option is to hire an established winner with a higher winning percentage than Bret, who didn't work out here.

Would love to see that shortlist.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:52:20 am

Next.

Plus, you missed Canaan's point completely and tried to pivot the conversation to another talking point, which I just blew up in your face.

You have no argument.

hawaiianhogster

I have this feeling we are in for the best ride of our lives with our football program. Buckle up Boys!!!!

Porknoxville

Home run¡¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go hogs!

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:56:15 am
You have no argument.

Your argument was that Bobby worked out here because he had an established winning record at Louisville.
I countered your argument by saying Bret also had an established winning record at Wisconsin, but he didn't work out here.

You came back with nothing.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bellavistamike on December 06, 2017, 10:51:03 am
You know, I've been following these threads about CCM for the past couple of days and the one thing I've found is that there sure are a lot of miserable people who post on Hogville... Just saying...

So incredibly accurate.  Football team and coach affects your life so much you get noticeably angry on a message board? Hilarious. Couldn't be me.

The real Hogules

Quote from: bellavistamike on December 06, 2017, 10:51:03 am

Maybe some of us don't like the taste of a $#!t sandwich, but here by all means, take mine since you seem to have no problem gobbling them down.....Just saying.......

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 10:55:35 am
As opposed to what? Hiring a guy with a winning percentage better than Bielema's at Wisconsin?

Bielema was an established winner. He sucked here. According to you, Morris, a loser, will suck here too.
Therefore, the only option is to hire an established winner with a higher winning percentage than Bret, who didn't work out here.

Would love to see that shortlist.

BB was an anomaly, an outlier. His record was prefabbed because of the specific coaching situation he was in at Wisky.

To use that argument to say we should now look at coaches with losing records because it didn't work out with him is idiotic.

At the time he looked like a great hire, he wasn't, but again the exception doesn't make the rule.

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:59:53 am
BB was an anomaly, an outlier. His record was prefabbed because of the specific coaching situation he was in at Whisky.

To use that argument to say we should now look at coaches with losing records because it didn't work out with him is idiotic.

At the time he looked looking like a great hire, he wasn't, but again the exception doesn't make the rule.

Lou Holtz's first head coaching gig resulted in a 13-20 record. He turned out alright. He was an anomaly, an outlier.

But according to you, Holtz never should have been given a chance elsewhere due to his losing record.

See how this works?

jm

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 11:00:58 am
Lou Holtz's first head coaching gig resulted in a 13-20 record. He was an anomaly, an outlier. He turned out alright.

But according to you, Holtz never should have been given a chance elsewhere due to his losing record.

See how this works?

So Morris is Lou Holtz now?

Again THE EXCEPTION DOESN'T MAKE THE RULE.

More often than not a coach's W/L column is a good indicator of future success and failure. Of course there are exceptions, maybe Morris is one, but odds are if a coach is a winner his record will indicate that.

"You are what your record says you are" Bill Parcells

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 11:00:58 am
Lou Holtz's first head coaching gig resulted in a 13-20 record. He turned out alright. He was an anomaly, an outlier.

See how this works?

Don't you know you can only reference past performance as an anomaly if it strengthens your argument?  Hogville 101

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 11:06:26 am

More often than not a coach's W/L column is a good indicator of future success and failure. Of course there are exceptions, maybe Morris is one, but odds are if a coach is a winner his record will indicate that.

"You are what your record says you are" Bill Parsells

His record says he improves every year.

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 11:06:26 am

"You are what your record says you are" Bill Parsells

Who's to say Morris won't be Holtz? We have NO idea.

He could be Holtz. He could be Bielema. We have no clue.

Yeah, you are what your record says you are. And Morris' record has improved every year in the 3 years he's been a head coach after taking over a 1-11 team. I'd say that's called "progress," and "progress" can lead to some optimism.

HogNTX

Quote from: The Kig on December 06, 2017, 10:20:41 am
If he can't get a 4* while coaching in the metroplex, why would he suddenly be able to convince kids to leave home and come to Arkansas?

So you think SMU has as much to attract top recruits as Arkansas??? You don't think that Arkansas has a recruiting advantage over SMU in the metroplex with our facilities, conference affiliation, tradition, media exposure, admission requirements, course offerings, and other things kids look at?

OkieBack

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 11:07:43 am

Defensive Coordinator hire is absolutely critical.  It's going to be rough at first (see SMU's record year #1 and #2 for Morris) before it gets any better.  If Morris can secure a very good defensive coach then that will help.  If Morris brings in a slouch, then its going to be tough to win no matter how many points Morris can put up a game.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 11:07:43 am

It also says he was 4-4 in conference and 4th in just the west division of the AAC.

His HC record is mediocre in a mediocre conference, but yeah let's toss him into the SEC.

KCRazorbackfan

Ok, ok.  I admit I probably misspoke last night when it first came out about the hire about it being underwhelming; I APOLOGIZE.  We all have to get behind CCM and his soon to be announced staff and call those Hogs like we have in the past.  If he can bring in a great DC to go along with that high powered offense, he may be just what Arkansas needs.  Welcome to the hill, Coach Chad Morris and family.  WOO PIG SOOIE!!
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

elkhog

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 06, 2017, 09:34:02 am
Seeing eye single that'll be stretched into a triple ifvhr hires Venables.

If he hires Venables I'm sure we will all see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.  But, I'm not holding my breath because I just don't see that as even possible.
GO HOGS!!!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: The Kig on December 06, 2017, 10:20:41 am
They can't...he didnt sign a single 4* to SMU.  Watson is what they point to and that is a fallacy.  Convincing Watson to stay home (Clemson is around 80 miles from his house) over going to a dumpster fire at Texas isn't exactly amazing.  Boyd was going to be graduating, so this was not that hard of a sell. 

If he can't get a 4* while coaching in the metroplex, why would he suddenly be able to convince kids to leave home and come to Arkansas?  His legendary 'cruitin status is way overblown.
Deshaun Watson is from Gainesville, Georgia, and grew up a Georgia fan. That is 39 miles from Athens. Morris identified him as a top prospect before anyone else, and recruited him for three years. He was the best QB in college football last year and looked that way in the NFL among newcomers until his injury. Please don't rewrite history. He didn't persuade Watson to ``stay home.'' Home was UGa.

OkieBack

Quote from: elkhog on December 06, 2017, 11:18:27 am
If he hires Venables I'm sure we will all see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.  But, I'm not holding my breath because I just don't see that as even possible.

Neither do I.  If Venables leaves Clemson its for a HC postition, not another DC position at a school who hasn't even whiffed a conference title in 10 years.  But whomever Chad hires as DC, he better be worth the money they will need to pay to get him in Fayetteville.