Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris is a home run.

Started by ambien_sky, December 06, 2017, 08:44:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

The people who are upset about this hire aren't paying attention.  He will bring a dangerous offense to Arkansas,  and the fact that he is targeting Brent Venables (whether he gets him or not)  shows he is serious about a good defensive coordinator.  I also think he will be a great recruiter.  I suggest everyone go watch some videos of Clemson when he was offensive coordinator,  and SMU,  and look at his offensive schemes.  He is a great offensive mind.  I, for one, am excited about this hire.

Check out what the Clemson board thinks about the hire:    //  https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Some-Arky-fans-aint-so-happy-gettin-The-Chad-1763388?tstart=0

NuttinbutMediocre

Yeah, offensive schemes win games. That is why he finished 8-16 in the AAC.

Hogsmo Kramer

Stand up double at best.

Well unless he brings Venables, which IMO ain't happening.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

gotta love the new accounts that are obviously spin doctors.

he could win, it's possible. the houston AD and the HC from dallas, i get it.

But, a HOME RUN? c'mon , man. Like Kramer said, double at best.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

johnfanman

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 06, 2017, 08:44:19 am
The people who are upset about this hire aren't paying attention.  He will bring a dangerous offense to Arkansas,  and the fact that he is targeting Brent Venables (whether he gets him or not)  shows he is serious about a good defensive coordinator.  I also think he will be a great recruiter.  I suggest everyone go watch some videos of Clemson when he was offensive coordinator,  and SMU,  and look at his offensive schemes.  He is a great offensive mind.  I, for one, am excited about this hire.

Check out what the Clemson board thinks about the hire:    //  https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Some-Arky-fans-aint-so-happy-gettin-The-Chad-1763388?tstart=0

Home run in pee wee league possibly.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

Dannyluvssonic

Grag T

Sounds like if he brings in a good DC then we are gonna be dangerous  8)
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

transplant

I also think he will be a great recruiter.

Why, do you think this? Because this is the one real hangup I have with him.  He is said to be a great Texas recruiter, but his recruiting at SMU in three years was not any better than the results SMU had in the three years prior to his arrival (correct me if I'm wrong, I want to like this hire).

For years it has been beat into my brains that we have to upgrade recruiting, I keep hearing that he will get us back on the Texas recruits, but can someone please show me how he makes us better in this area?

010HogFan

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 09:01:22 am
Why, do you think this? Because this is the one real hangup I have with him.  He is said to be a great Texas recruiter, but his recruiting at SMU in three years was not any better than the results SMU had in the three years prior to his arrival (correct me if I'm wrong, I want to like this hire).

For years it has been beat into my brains that we have to upgrade recruiting, I keep hearing that he will get us back on the Texas recruits, but can someone please show me how he makes us better in this area?

maybe, just maybe, SMU is hard to recruit to?

woodrow hog call

All of you guys that know for a fact he will fail, do us a huge favor, tell us who is going to be the national champions.

I mean we have so many that can tell the future, why don't we all get rich off of vegas?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Carkohn99

If Morris stays at Clemson for another 3 years instead of taking a really tough SMU job that got him back in his home state, all the naysayers on here are falling all over themselves to hire him this year.  He had the #5 offense in the country at Tulsa.  Turned Clemson into CLEMSON of today when they brought him in as OC.  Saved Dabo's job by propelling their offense into one of the top in the ACC.  Took a SMU team that was awful, and by all accounts June Jones had been asleep at the wheel at for a couple of years and really improved them.  They scored about 10 points per game when he took over, and now score around 40.  Recruits Texas and has a 4star QB coming in despite being the Vandy of the AAC from entry standards standpoint.  Texas coaches love him, I figure with his open door policy, Arkansas high school coaches will as well.  He, as well as the guys that hired him here,  understand he needs a great defense, which I am sure he will go put together since he will be given money to do so.  Maybe he and the PTB have a slight understanding of what we need here at the UofA.  Have a little faith and if it doesn't work out, then we get to have another couple of weeks of this again in 4-5 years.  If Henry Ford asked the public what they wanted, they would've said a faster horse. 

Bad_Intentions

Yeah I'm on board w/ the HR call. Possibly a triple. But CCM is a great hire IMO. Very excited
WPS!!

NuttinbutMediocre

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 06, 2017, 09:02:35 am

Shouldn't a good recruiter be able to move the needle at a place that is hard to recruit to? If not, what makes him a good recruiter?

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 08:55:51 am
Stand up double at best.

I was going with ground rule double but much of that depends on who he hires.

RazorChuck

Its a little early to be drinking isn't it?

RazorChuck

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 08:55:51 am
Stand up double at best.

More like a base on balls.

transplant

and him being there didn't improve recruiting, even though he is a "great Texas recruiter".  Why is that?

dfwalumdad

Quote from: NuttinbutMediocre on December 06, 2017, 08:47:59 am
Yeah, offensive schemes win games. That is why he finished 8-16 in the AAC.

they really don't have an answer for that one. 14-22 at smu bert was 19-20 over the same 3 year period.

we fire a guy because of half filled stadiums and a losing record, so naturally we hire a guy with a worse record.

we are in uncharted territory even for arkansas.........here there be monsters!

The Kig

A guy named Ambien thinks this is a homerun?  Go back to sleep...apparently the dream was a good one.
Poker Porker

RazorChuck

Quote from: rob99SS on December 06, 2017, 09:02:25 am
He's a great coach and his offense is perfect for Arkansas. Bielema was a terrible fit and I said so when he was hired. If Hogville wasn't such a hive mind and each poster could do their own individual research, they'd find out how good of a coach Morris is. 
A "hive mind" is exactly what got him hired here.

PORKULATOR

A solo shot homerun maybe. Now with the right DCo it's a 2-3 run shot... W/ BV.... Grand slam
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: Carkohn99 on December 06, 2017, 09:04:01 am
If Morris stays at Clemson for another 3 years instead of taking a really tough SMU job that got him back in his home state, all the naysayers on here are falling all over themselves to hire him this year.  He had the #5 offense in the country at Tulsa.  Turned Clemson into CLEMSON of today when they brought him in as OC.  Saved Dabo's job by propelling their offense into one of the top in the ACC.  Took a SMU team that was awful, and by all accounts June Jones had been asleep at the wheel at for a couple of years and really improved them.  They scored about 10 points per game when he took over, and now score around 40.  Recruits Texas and has a 4star QB coming in despite being the Vandy of the AAC from entry standards standpoint.  Texas coaches love him, I figure with his open door policy, Arkansas high school coaches will as well.  He, as well as the guys that hired him here,  understand he needs a great defense, which I am sure he will go put together since he will be given money to do so.  Maybe he and the PTB have a slight understanding of what we need here at the UofA.  Have a little faith and if it doesn't work out, then we get to have another couple of weeks of this again in 4-5 years.  If Henry Ford asked the public what they wanted, they would've said a faster horse.

and if bert had stayed at Wisconsin he'd be playing for a national championship last weekend.

i'm sorry son there's simply not enough polish to put a shine on this turd.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Maybe in Wiffle Ball- There are many holes in this hire.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Breems

I don't think you know what homerun means.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Justifiable Hogicide

HeathWimp

Totally agree.  It will be dangerous to our defense, since it will put them on the field even more plays than the last 5 years. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Redhogs

Well...it's not like Ar. is easy.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

1highhog

Because he was recruiting to SMU, which has to be the worst place in College football to try and recruit to.  I don't think this year's class is going to be good at all, but this is not going to be the fault of Chad Morris, even though it will be blamed on him by many on Hogville.   But next year, we have a great instate class of recruits that hopefully will all committ to the Razorback, if Morris can bring in some good players from Texas then next year's class will be the best crop of recruits that we've had in many years.

Redhogs

Quote from: dfwalumdad on December 06, 2017, 09:18:58 am

and if bert had stayed at Wisconsin he'd be playing for a national championship last weekend.

i'm sorry son there's simply not enough polish to put a shine on this turd.
That won't stop them from trying...the machine never stops..
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HoggyCat

Seeing eye single that'll be stretched into a triple ifvhr hires Venables.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LRHawg

He's a double or triple at best. Home run would be a sure thing. He's not a sure thing. We'll see.

Drop the Mike

Targeting Venables and bringing him are two different things. I will be 100% pumped if he can deliver Brent.

I thought the U of A was serious about our football program when they offered a proven SEC coach like Gus 7 million, and then days later we settle for Morris.

HotlantaHog

I think the OP is exactly right.

If Morris had stayed at Clemson and had been the OC for seven years at a program that won the national championship and has been to the playoffs for three years -- accomplishments he helped to pave the way for -- everyone would look at him in a different light. For all the love of Clemson's defense coordinator, the offense has done better over the years than the D.

That he took the SMU job and went from 1-11 the year before to 7-5 is being discounted by those who don't look at SMU as the worst program in the country, which it certainly competes for. It's the flip side of how people looked at Bielema, who had a huge record of wins and three Rose Bowl appearances after taking over a winning program... the record looked great on paper....

Plus, the fact that he is from Texas, went to school at Texas A&M, coached high school football in Texas, and at SMU ... all of that is a huge plus in recruiting in Texas, which is key for Arkansas. This makes so much more sense than hiring someone from Wisconsin.

Not sure I would call Morris a home run -- he wasn't my first choice -- but we will know whether he was a home run in three years... He's easily a double...

transplant

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 06, 2017, 09:37:21 am
I think the OP is exactly right....

Plus, the fact that he is from Texas, went to school at Texas A&M, coached high school football in Texas, and at SMU ... all of that is a huge plus in recruiting in Texas, which is key for Arkansas.

You folks keep saying this, please show me how he improved recruiting at SMU in the three years he was there.

Pecos Hog

I have hope for our program once again.    What's not to be happy about that??!

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Kig

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 09:50:47 am
You folks keep saying this, please show me how he improved recruiting at SMU in the three years he was there.

They can't...he didnt sign a single 4* to SMU.  Watson is what they point to and that is a fallacy.  Convincing Watson to stay home (Clemson is around 80 miles from his house) over going to a dumpster fire at Texas isn't exactly amazing.  Boyd was going to be graduating, so this was not that hard of a sell. 

If he can't get a 4* while coaching in the metroplex, why would he suddenly be able to convince kids to leave home and come to Arkansas?  His legendary 'cruitin status is way overblown.
Poker Porker

HamGrowsOnTrees

steveaustin69

https://247sports.com/Coach/Chad-Morris-749/AllTimeRecruits

Google is a hell of a thing

dallasrazerback

I wasn't happy yesterday; and I live in Dallas.....the more I research him, however, I'm starting to get on board.  Time will tell, but I'm still giving the Hogs my 100% support as I've always done. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Kig on December 06, 2017, 10:20:41 am
They can't...he didnt sign a single 4* to SMU.  Watson is what they point to and that is a fallacy.  Convincing Watson to stay home (Clemson is around 80 miles from his house) over going to a dumpster fire at Texas isn't exactly amazing.  Boyd was going to be graduating, so this was not that hard of a sell. 

If he can't get a 4* while coaching in the metroplex, why would he suddenly be able to convince kids to leave home and come to Arkansas?  His legendary 'cruitin status is way overblown.

Might want to brush up on SMU's history in recruiting; doesn't matter who the coach is 4*s are not gonna be lining up to play for a dumpster fire program.  What does the metroplex have to do with anything?  Sure, there's a lot of talent. There's also TCU 20 miles away.  If you want to be mad about the hire and nitpick negatives that is your prerogative.

Donny2665

It will take at minimum 3 years before him or the AD are deemed good, great, or home run hires!!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 10:30:12 am
https://247sports.com/Coach/Chad-Morris-749/AllTimeRecruits

Google is a hell of a thing

Every single one of those are from his time at Clemson when he was just a coordinator.

Not one from SMU where he was the actual HC.

Try again.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 10:32:41 am
So...no Texas recruits.  Gotcha

All the HS coaches know and respect him, which allows him to get his foot in the door.  He showed at Clemson he can get commitments from elite talent. Were you expecting a ton of Texas players to sign for Clemson year in, year out?  I know putting two and two together might not be your strong suit, but use google and try to think independently.  Or just be mad. Up to you.

ballhog™

I don't think he is a homerun hire because of what he hasn't accomplished yet. But I think he has a chance to be very successful here.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

RME

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 06, 2017, 10:35:57 am
Every single one of those are from his time at Clemson when he was just a coordinator.

Not one from SMU where he was the actual HC.

Try again.

Do you think anyone could recruit Clemson levels at SMU?

Do you think recruiting to Arkansas is more similar than recruiting to SMU than it is Clemson?

hawgdavis

Quote from: NuttinbutMediocre on December 06, 2017, 09:10:04 am
Shouldn't a good recruiter be able to move the needle at a place that is hard to recruit to? If not, what makes him a good recruiter?

They never recovered from the death penalty and then killed themselves again when they hired June Jones. So yeah it's probably one of the hardest places to recruit to. Probably why they started paying players to start with lol.

je100

Third year at SMU on a total rebuild.  Inherited a power ranking of 126 out of 128.  Finished 2017 with an RPI of 44.  Would have put him in 7th in the SEC, which is of course upper half.

Sounds like a home run to me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2291491-college-football-rankings-2014-power-ranking-all-128-teams-post-regular-season
http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings.html

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 08:57:24 am
gotta love the new accounts that are obviously spin doctors.

he could win, it's possible. the houston AD and the HC from dallas, i get it.

But, a HOME RUN? c'mon , man. Like Kramer said, double at best.

Read my post at Fun Facts. I have nearly 14,000 posts and just paid attention to the guy this morning.  Very impressive and perfect fit.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.