Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best wrestling events you've attended

Started by hogfan064, May 30, 2006, 11:43:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

As a kid I saw Dusty Roads and Ric Flair in about a 45 minute match.  That was probably my favorite

Others I've been to

Summer Slam in Raleigh, NC.  Don't remember the year, but it was when Angle, HHH, and Steph had their love triangle

Royal Rumble-Again forget the year, maybe 2002, but HHH won it

Also been to numerous Raws, Nitros, Thunders, and 1 Smackdown(it was awful)

Best Raw I went to was in Charlotte when Stone Cold beat Undertaker for the WWF(at the time) title.

Rooka

RAW, here in Jonesboro, where it was planned for HHH and Steph to get married but of course we all know how that ended.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 11:43:32 amSummer Slam in Raleigh, NC.  Don't remember the year, but it was when Angle, HHH, and Steph had their love triangle

2000?  TLC I, right?  (Remember, WM16 was just a "Triangle Ladder Match."  TLC II was at WM17).

I don't know what I would call my favorite.  I saw one or two Mid South (Bill Watts) shows and one or two NWA shows in the mid-80's.  I think there was a WWF show at Barton in the mid-80's too.

I've also been to a Nitro in Memphis, a SmackDown! in Little Rock and some house shows.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

secthumper

....I was in the old Sportatorium in Dallas in 1986 when Brodie turned on his tag-team partner

....Abdullah the Butcher after they had wrested the WCCW tag titles away from the Texass Outlaws(Rhodes

....and Murdoch) which resulted in one of the most bitter feuds this sport has ever seen!

....The promotion actually had to call in some of the Dallas police to separate the two of them!

....And no, they were not paid actors impersonating the PO.

....The place erupted and went absolutely bonkers as there was a near riot.

....Some idiot jumped in  the ring with Brodie, and then Brodie  hit the dude with a chain wrapped around his

....hand and he was laid open all the way across his forehead!

....All kinds of shitte was flying thru the air with everyone screaming and cussing, I put my wife on the floor

....and covered her until the cops got some order restored!

....Damdest thing I have ever seen!!
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

hydrophonic

I saw a website about a year ago that was promoting a WCCW movie.  The site had some stills of the Sportatorium.  I don't remember the name of the movie though.

I really enjoyed the Freebirds run in WCCW.

_Collin1

May 30, 2006, 01:44:12 pm #5 Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 01:52:15 pm by BigC51
I saw Owen Hart die May 23, 1999 in Kansas City.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

hydrophonic

I was watching the PPV.  I'm glad they didn't show it.

Rooka

Just a few months ago I saw it at YouTube.com and it literallly made me sick watching it.

hogfan064

I will never forget Owen's death.  That was the only PPV I missed that year.  A group of us were going to the Nitro in Greenville, SC that night and didn't get it.  My buddies girlfriend(now wife) called our apartment at 7:00am the next morning to tell us Owen died.  I figured she had made a mistake. If you remember Owen's character at this point was the Blue Blazer who was a clumsy super hero similar to the one played in "Greatest American Hero"  So I figured it was probably an angle she misunderstood.  I turned on Sports Center and they had like a 30 second story on it.  I was shocked. 

We went to the Nitro that night and they didn't mention anything about it to the live crowd, but I believe they said something to the TV audience.  There was some drunk redneck behind us who kept yelling for the 10 bell rings for Owen. 

I always thought Owen was a better in ring performer than Brett. Owen had the mat skill that his brother had plus he was more high risk. 

hydrophonic

hogfan064

Quote from: hydrophonic on May 30, 2006, 02:06:16 pm
Bret's ring psychology was better.

Agree.  I think he was a smarter performer than Owen.  Maturity had alot to do with that IMO.  Owen had more overall talent IMO. 

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 30, 2006, 02:11:13 pm
Quote from: hydrophonic on May 30, 2006, 02:06:16 pm
Bret's ring psychology was better.

Agree.  I think he was a smarter performer than Owen.  Maturity had alot to do with that IMO.  Owen had more overall talent IMO. 
Roddy Piper is 1st cousins with them. Well Brett now anyway. Piper was one of the smaller heavyweights but you could always count on a good fight or mind game from him. Pop or heat guaranteed from the crowd.

I saw alot of matches growing up. Bill Watts Last Stampede at Barton Coliseum in 1986 or early 87 has to be up there. Largest crowd in the history of that storied building I am pretty sure. They turned away droves of people at the door because the floor was already standing room only and people were clogging the aisle steps. This was the one where Bill,the Rockn Roll Express and Stagger Lee defeated The Midnight Espress (Dennis Condrey/ BobbyEaton version) ,?? I disremember who and the most annoying mouth of Jim Coronette in the main event. Coronnette was forced into a large cloth diaper and paddled with his tennis racket after the match.

I also MET (the late) Andre the Giant and Tony Atlas there when I was 9 or 10.