Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema is NOT the problem!!!

Started by Hoggle, November 05, 2017, 06:01:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggle

Bret is NOT the problem!  He is a SYMPTOM of the problem!! 

The problem is the same guy tried his best to hire Jim Grobe and Tommy Bowden and successfully hired John L Smith and Bielema (who was NEVER a good hire to anyone with a clue). Don't forget the Jimmy Dykes deal. Jeff just has BAD JUDGMENT.

If we fall for the "Beliema is the problem" line then we are doomed to suffer the consequences of another Jeff Long screwup!!  Don't be suckers!  Don't let Jeff deflect blame for HIS failures!!! 

The buck stops with Jeff Long!

Hoggish1

Have you informed the PTB about your insight?  Brilliant! LMAO

RollHogTide

So, Jeff Long is the flu - and his coaching choices are sore throat, stuffy head, fever, nausea, and diarrhea?

elksnort

At the time I think most of us thought it was a good hire. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RollHogTide on November 05, 2017, 06:16:56 pm
So, Jeff Long is the flu - and his coaching choices are sore throat, stuffy head, fever, nausea, and diarrhea?

Well done!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Sundog

Quote from: elksnort on November 05, 2017, 06:17:13 pm

Speak for yourself, fella.

Wants2Win

Wants2Win

I didn't. I never understood how anyone could think  trench warfare in the SEC West could be a recipe for success at Arkansas.

RebHog

Ummm no 100% While I didn't like the hire cause I didn't like BB system on paper it was still a good hire but has failed in epic proportions if JLONG doesn't fire him after or hopefully before end of season then pitchfork that mofo as well. 

RebHog

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 05, 2017, 06:33:01 pm
I didn't. I never understood how anyone could think  trench warfare in the SEC West could be a recipe for success at Arkansas.

This is how I felt on the hire day one but looking at the record at whiskey and not knowing at the time it was really daddy alvarez brainchild I was open to it working.

Martygit

Quote from: Hoggle on November 05, 2017, 06:01:02 pm

The problem is the same guy tried his best to hire Jim Grobe and Tommy Bowden and successfully hired John L Smith and Bielema (who was NEVER a good hire to anyone with a clue). Don't forget the Jimmy Dykes deal. Jeff just has BAD JUDGMENT.

If we fall for the "Beliema is the problem" line then we are doomed to suffer the consequences of another Jeff Long screwup!!  Don't be suckers!  Don't let Jeff deflect blame for HIS failures!!! 

Wow!! Thanks for that - I don't think anyone on this board has ever expressed that before
RIP OTR, REV

ifghog

I do think there could be something to his theory. I am done with Bret but thete coukd be something to it.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Hoggle on November 05, 2017, 06:01:02 pm

Don't forget Mike Anderson, with him we've been mediocre which is less than what we should be with a good coach.
Time for a new AD

Acehawg

Long didn't want to hire Anderson and he's the second best coach on the hill.  Enough said...

HoggyCat

Excellent analogy.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Acehawg on November 05, 2017, 07:20:02 pm
Long didn't want to hire Anderson and he's the second best coach on the hill.  Enough said...
Well he's the coach and JL is the AD. He was influenced to hire him because he's too incompetent to know who to hire

Hogvillage Idiot

So fire the AD and keep the coach.  Gotcha.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on November 05, 2017, 07:26:56 pm
So fire the AD and keep the coach.  Gotcha.

Um, I'm pretty sure he's saying fire Long, so he's not around hire BB's replacement.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

forrest city joe

Quote from: LRrazorback on November 05, 2017, 07:15:45 pm
Don't forget Mike Anderson, with him we've been mediocre which is less than what we should be with a good coach.
Time for a new AD
Wrong.Mike has the basketball program in great shape.took the refs to keep him from beating the national champion UNC in the NCAA. it's one of the few good things Long has done. nice try Anderson hater.

elksnort, saying most is at least 51 percent liked the hire and I would wager it was closer to 80 percent.  I was not among the ones liking the hire.  Knowing the Arkansas background, I never believed the power run offense had a chance in the SEC.  In football you can win with just about any offense and any defense if you have excellent players and coaches.  I didn't know Bret was a terrible coach so my disapproval was based on the fact that Arkansas has never had over the top offensive and defensive lines.  Without those lines, Lou Holtz said you must get off the bus throwing the ball.  Lou was correct.  Jeff Long knew nothing about the Arkansas background and very little about football in general or he would have never, ever made that hire.

And to allow him to make the next hire is pure happenstance as to us getting a good coach for our circumstances.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 05, 2017, 07:28:52 pm
Um, I'm pretty sure he's saying fire Long, so he's not around hire BB's replacement.
May be the poster's thoughts, but that's not the way the post reads.

Jack Kemp

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on November 05, 2017, 07:40:22 pm
May be the poster's thoughts, but that's not the way the post reads.

It's pretty obvious from his post that he's saying Long's coaching hires all suck.  Therefore, Long needs to go before he's allowed to screw up another hire.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

26.2Hog

+1 for spelling diarrhea correctly, something no one else on HV could do.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 05, 2017, 07:43:20 pm
It's pretty obvious from his post that he's saying Long's coaching hires all suck.  Therefore, Long needs to go before he's allowed to screw up another hire.
But the current coach "is not the problem".

Jack Kemp

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on November 05, 2017, 07:50:44 pm
But the current coach "is not the problem".

He's the "symptom" of the problem.  Meaning Long is the fundamental problem.  A problem with symptoms such as crappy hires...BB being one of them.  It's never good to be the symptom of a problem.  His post confirms his belief that BB was a bad hire. 

This dude nailed it...

3of5-2

Don't forget obesity.

The_Iceman

Look at what Jim Grobe had done at Wake Forest the two years right before we hired Bielema and tell me what was wrong with him? He has 20 wins and tool WAKE FOREST to a BCS Bowl game.

26.2Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 05, 2017, 07:37:38 pm

Mike has the basketball program in great shape.

Making the NCAA tourney only twice in 6 years, finishing in the top 25 one time in six years is having the BB program in great shape??

Good grief.

Nolan took us to the NCAA  13 times in 15 years.  That's what you call "great shape".

3of5-2

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 05, 2017, 08:07:38 pm
Making the NCAA tourney only twice in 6 years, finishing in the top 25 one time in six years is having the BB program in great shape??

Good grief.

Nolan took us to the NCAA  13 times in 15 years.  That's what you call "great shape".
This, no one should ever confuse the two.

East Clintwood

Quote from: MartinGit on November 05, 2017, 06:37:19 pm
Wow!! Thanks for that - I don't think anyone on this board has ever expressed that before

Oh, it's been expressed before but it needs repeating over and over because there are still too many fans out there that think Jeffy is the World's Greatest All-time Most Wonderfullest AD and Head Coach Hirer ever.

We need to get this man away from the UofA before he causes further damage.  Far away.  We need to take our program back.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

spiritof92

Why do people keep calling John L Smith a hire?  He was an interim coach.  You're not going to hire a decent coach in April.  If they are worth a flip and want to coach they are not going to be available that time of year.  I'm not defending Long.  Just tired of people referring to Smith as someone Long hired.  He was merely a stopgap until a coach could be hired.

East Clintwood

Quote from: spiritof92 on November 05, 2017, 08:21:48 pm
Why do people keep calling John L Smith a hire?  He was an interim coach.  You're not going to hire a decent coach in April.  If they are worth a flip and want to coach they are not going to be available that time of year.  I'm not defending Long.  Just tired of people referring to Smith as someone Long hired.  He was merely a stopgap until a coach could be hired.

Smilie had left the UofA's employment and had taken a job in Idaho.

Jeffy hired him to come back and coach the Razorbacks. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Some folks and obviously the Jeffies won't truly get it til he tries to march Les Miles out as our coach. Then most of those will say"its not my choice but I'm gonna support the program.

spiritof92

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 05, 2017, 08:24:04 pm
Smilie had left the UofA's employment and had taken a job in Idaho.

Jeffy hired him to come back and coach the Razorbacks. 

As an interim coach because they wanted someone that was on the Petrino staff around for the season before they hired a long term coach.  I remember a number of people here going on about how Smith was going to get the job full time despite Smith having an interim tag on him the whole time. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 05, 2017, 06:33:01 pm

thinking back on headset bret's letter to long, his speeches afterwards, etc., it seems to me that headset bret thought he knew something that no one else knew, or had thought of.
The rest of the frog.

sickboy

At the time, Bielema was a better bet and a way bigger name than all the names we're talking about right now. Norvell, Campbell and such. Hiring coaches isn't just picking good coaches and cashing in wins.

Pork Twain

These are the same jabronies that complained non-stop about every move JFB made.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

East Clintwood

Quote from: sickboy on November 05, 2017, 09:06:10 pm
At the time, Bielema was a better bet and a way bigger name than all the names we're talking about right now. Norvell, Campbell and such. Hiring coaches isn't just picking good coaches and cashing in wins.

I don't care home big a coaches name is.  I just want a good, young and hungry coach.  Hungry for wins, not donuts.

We could hire Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff and I wouldn't be impressed.  Big name but he probably can't coach much better than Bert.

LRrazorback

Wrong.Mike has the basketball program in great shape.took the refs to keep him from beating the national champion UNC in the NCAA. it's one of the few good things Long has done. nice try Anderson hater.

FCJ I like most of your positions on all things hogs but you're wrong on CMA. What has he done?  He's decent but his ceiling isn't very high.  All I'm asking is get us to a elite eight, sweet sixteen weekend and finish ranked. We should be better and we can do much better, I've seen it. It's up to JL to find the coach to get us there.

hoglady

Quote from: spiritof92 on November 05, 2017, 08:21:48 pm

The minute Long became aware of Smith's enormous financial problems, lawsuits and bankruptcy - he should have been removed from any potential list. That Long hired him anyway is indefensible. Long didn't have the will to just choose someone from the current staff - which is what should have happened or if free at the time, Butch Davis should have been hired.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Augustus

Yeah... we all loved that 16-16 season, a year ago.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: hoglady on November 05, 2017, 09:57:53 pm
The minute Long became aware of Smith's enormous financial problems, lawsuits and bankruptcy - he should have been removed from any potential list. That Long hired him anyway is indefensible. Long didn't have the will to just choose someone from the current staff - which is what should have happened or if free at the time, Butch Davis should have been hired.
Correct.  Long should have went the interim route with an assistant just like Ole Miss did this year.  Instead he hired JLS to a one year contract with the intention of hiring CBB after the conclusion of the season.

Jack Kemp

hogfan14

Quote from: hoglady on November 05, 2017, 09:57:53 pm

Not like we would have been any better with Paul Petrino or Paul Haynes that year. They've both been terrible head coaches. People would just be be blaming Long for hiring them instead.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 05, 2017, 08:25:36 pm
Some folks and obviously the Jeffies won't truly get it til he tries to march Les Miles out as our coach. Then most of those will say"its not my choice but I'm gonna support the program.

Well, I for one, can say and mean it too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Acehawg on November 05, 2017, 07:20:02 pm

IF Long didn't want to hire him he wouldn't have. Now if he didn't there might have been some repercussions but he chose to hire him. He was not forced to.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

Caught some of Bruce James on the The Buzz this morning.

Said he hopes Jeff Long NEVER makes another coaching hire at the University of Arkansas.
Says Long just doesn't have it - going back to his Pittsburgh days.
Felt that Broyles would have never hired Bielema because of he would have been smart enough to know that Bielema's philosophy would never work.

Wish I would have heard the whole show.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Razorbackers

Quote from: sickboy on November 05, 2017, 09:06:10 pm

HES A GOT DAYUM YANKEE

hoglady

Quote from: hogfan14 on November 06, 2017, 01:01:16 am
Not like we would have been any better with Paul Petrino or Paul Haynes that year. They've both been terrible head coaches. People would just be be blaming Long for hiring them instead.

I suspect the attitude of the coaching staff and players may have been better.
We had a lot of talent on that team.

draftkings33

Jimmy Dykes the worst hire of all time

EastexHawg

I didn't know fans are paid to make these decisions.  When do we get our checks?

I never thought it was a good idea.  In fact, I said from the time Long hired John L. Smith that he had self-imposed the death penalty on Arkansas football.  Guess what?