Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bottom line: we have to quit firing coaches to quick...

Started by Modsquad24, February 20, 2014, 07:24:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

Anderson deserves time, at a minimum give him 5 yrs, we gotta give a coach time to build and firing coaches before they really get a real chance is why I believe we haven't got over the hump in a decade...just my two cents and rant for the day

BallHog1

Quote from: Modsquad24 on February 20, 2014, 07:24:03 pm
Anderson deserves time, at a minimum give him 5 yrs, we gotta give a coach time to build and firing coaches before they really get a real chance is why I believe we haven't got over the hump in a decade...just my two cents and rant for the day
And I agree with you 100%

Scuderia

Unless Mike gets busted robbing a convenience store... he's getting 5 years minimum.

pigture perfect

I agree as well. Mike and Bret need an opportunity to develope a legacy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Mick Hogger

I agree, but I think we knew Mike would come when he did and Pel just had to go. I think Mike is here for a good long while.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

WizardofhOgZ

forrest city joe

Agree 100% with you Mod. i don't even want to hear about firing our coach right now.

Dropkick

Mike is in no danger of being fired unless a small pocket of hogville loons take over the program

forrest city joe

Quote from: Dropkick on February 20, 2014, 09:27:39 pm
Mike is in no danger of being fired unless a small pocket of hogville loons take over the program
Very good news.

Hawg Red

Why is this being brought up?? I don't see anyone calling for Anderson's head.

Strange timing.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 20, 2014, 09:34:02 pm
Me to.  ;)

There's too things I agree with.  One is we needed two keep mike anderson.  The other is we need too quit making fun of each other in here two much.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 20, 2014, 09:31:53 pm

Strange timing.
^^^ this. There is a difference between questioning some coaching decisions than calling for MA's head. I believe everyone here wants Razorback basketball to be successful.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

HogBreath

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on February 20, 2014, 09:39:16 pm
This thread is beginning two take off.
Wasn't it Desmond Two-two who stated it takes too two tango?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

popcornhog

Where is quick?
WPS

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: popcornhog on February 20, 2014, 10:04:58 pm
Where is quick?

I don't know, but it apparently is nowhere near a school that teaches English.

Kevin

Why post this now.

The board just got under control. After weeks of craziness.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Modsquad24

Because I'm not just talking about mike I am saying our fan base always wants instant results or you're gone like little kids that don't get their way right away and it's a statement I wanted to talk about...also got into with a guy at work about this, who do we think we are duke? Kansas? Unc? Uk? Etc? We are Arkansas, yeah we have tradition, but haven't done squat really in 20 yrs so the high n mighty act can go

High Octane Hog

Good post! CMA isn't going anywhere. Go Hogs!

Modsquad24

Thanks, exactly when he does and he will get us to the sweet 16/elite 8 again in the coming years like he did with uab and mizzou it will open doors..it will also put us back on the map in the minds of young kids, no high school kid out there remembers us being good and Mike is our best shot to make it that far one year soon. All it takes is getting that far one time to re establish things and then we turn the corner as a program.

Marshfieldhog

I'm in no way calling for Andetson's head, I am wanting him to upgrade his subpar staff like CBB did( I hope).

Overtheroadtruckdriver

The_Iceman

Agreed, I want him to get 5 years regardless. If there hasnt been an NCAA birth and there looks to be no hope for improvement in year six, then he's gotta go.

HogBreath

This is just making a big two do about nothing, it's just to obvious.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Atlhogfan1

Well we certainly ensured we weren't going to fire a coach quick with this hire.  I don't think some realize this isn't a normal situation.  These threads about firing him or not firing him are pointless.  He isn't on a timetable.  "I think he deserves 5 years.  I think he deserves 7 years."  He will get all the time he needs to have whatever success is necessary to justify him staying on as coach. 

First the excuses must be reduced.  Practice facility must be completed.  He must be allowed to recruit a number of classes so it is obvious he has been given every chance. 

We were forced to make this hire because some believe this rights a wrong at least somewhat because of Nolan's firing and they believe Mike deserved the job then.  It was what the 9 years of ripping at our program by some who still loathe anything not from the Nolan era.  We also hired him because many seem to believe he is the only coach that can have success at Arkansas, any success, and they had to have Hawg Ball back.  This is why I was for hiring him as our program would never have a chance for closure without this other than another coach having had big success.  More success than apparently Mike's supporters are expecting from him anytime soon.  They are having to do some serious backtracking from what they claimed before he was hired.  25+ win teams and a packed BWA was supposed to be the norm by now.  But that doesn't matter.  They've gotten what they wanted.  Any success now is good enough as long as they can make a case for him to remain.

Mike is in no way in danger of losing his job for years.  The expectations will remain fluid enough and he is a good enough coach to meet those.  We didn't hire a coach strictly for professional reasons although he did have some success before coming back.  This hire was personal.  He is entrenched as coach for years. 

And again, I want him to be here for a while.  I want this to bring as much closure as possible.  The problem is the chances of this ending well aren't great.  For him to have success and retire on good terms and it be a happy ending.  And he isn't leaving for another job either.  I think he hangs on for many years actually.  Our program still attracts enough good players and our home court advantage is good enough for a coach of Mike's quality to win enough games to stay employed especially when the situation of why he is the coach is what it is. 

Lastly, don't take criticism of him as wanting him fired or thinking he should be fired now. 

I do need to add a clarification.  When I say Mike's supporters, I'm not talking about those who support our coaches because they are our current coaches.  And when they move on they'll support the next group.  I'm talking to those who took this hire and their defense of Mike personally.  And those who couldn't support any other basketball coach at Arkansas.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 20, 2014, 09:31:53 pm

Strange timing.

My thought exactly.  Seems like a few posters just want to start something so they can turn around and argue against it.  Really weird.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Dirty on February 21, 2014, 06:56:02 am
Self promotion! ;)

I guess you could view it that way. 

For me, it was really more about "why not post a link to a discussion of this very point rather than retype the whole thing here?".  Plus, several other folks also weighed in on it in that thread.  If someone was interested in this thread, they would likely be interested in what was said in that thread too.

majp51

Not that I disagree, but how many of the so called haters are even calling for MA's head?

I'm ok with giving him time mere from a stability standpoint than anything else, and honestly if the teams are playing well, I'm OK with inconsistent Tourney appearance up to year 6-7.

There have to be checkpoints for evaluation though, and I think year 3 is a valid one. And right now, either CMA's recruiting or his coaching, or possibly both, need to improve significantly.

Why do I or anyone else have to be hater to not feel both are true?