Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does an All-SEC Championship Game Make other Conferences Jealous?

Started by NuttinItUp, January 01, 2018, 10:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

I thought the SEC was "down" this year?

#TrollingCollegeFootball

Arkansas Fan

The SEC is down, except for the top. However, even one of the SEC's better teams, Auburn, lost to UCF today. The SEC has looked bad during bowl play.

It does piss a lot of people off, though, that the title game will be an SEC title game.

farmhawg

Wonder how Heriberto will spin it or packer since they both hate the sec.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2018, 10:48:20 pm
It does piss a lot of people off, though, that the title game will be an SEC title game.

That is all I am worried about. Glad other conference fans are pissed...

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 10:49:41 pm
That is all I am worried about. Glad other conference fans are pissed...

Imagine if Arkansas was in UGA or Alabama's shoes right now. All this would be even sweeter.

redeye

The SEC is down, except for the top. However, even one of the SEC's better teams, Auburn, lost to UCF today. The SEC has looked bad during bowl play.

Speaking of Auburn and the title game, how do you think they feel, knowing that they beat Alabama and Georgia, but lost to UCF?

Hogs run wild

bama or uga winning the championship will do nothing for us. "woohoo, we're in the SEC, we won the national championship." no we didn't. either bama or uga did. not the hogs. the rich will get richer with elite recruits, while the poor will continue to struggle to compete. someone needs to knock down the kings of the SEC, or winning a championship of any sorts will be nothing but a pipe dream.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 01, 2018, 11:04:42 pm
bama or uga winning the championship will do nothing for us. "woohoo, we're in the SEC, we won the national championship." no we didn't. either bama or uga did. not the hogs. the rich will get richer with elite recruits, while the poor will continue to struggle to compete. someone needs to knock down the kings of the SEC, or winning a championship of any sorts will be nothing but a pipe dream.

Better than the Big 10, though

Hugo Bezdek

elksnort

could not say it better

elksnort

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 11:11:02 pm
Better than the Big 10, though
really, when is the last time Arkansas has defeated a team from the Big Ten?

lilRockNDubb

Just means it's Bama and maybe Georgia then everyone else. The Big 10 looks dominant only losing 1 bowl game. The SEC will have only 4 wins with Bama's.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on January 01, 2018, 11:22:31 pm
Just means it's Bama and maybe Georgia then everyone else. The Big 10 looks dominant only losing 1 bowl game. The SEC will have only 4 wins with Bama's.

A Natty cures all losses  though!

Mjs84

Love the all sec title game!  It pisses the rest of college football off.  Some of our own hog fans hate it too

Mjs84

People who think being excited for another team equates to the same passion for razorback football

Tortfeasor

I wish they both could lose. Bad for the rest of the conference with both of these teams winning as far as recruiting goes.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 01, 2018, 11:29:07 pm
Love the all sec title game!  It pisses the rest of college football off.  Some of our own hog fans hate it too

Yep. They created playoff after Bama LSU CG so this wouldn't happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 10:41:11 pm

#TrollingCollegeFootball
While we may have to the top two teams, overall this bowl season has NOT been one the league will remember with any great fondness. The overall record has been abysmal. Not sure where we stack up in relation to other P5 conferences. I suspect thanks to today we may finish ahead of the Pac 12, however, there won't be many conferences that will have poorer overall records.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 01, 2018, 11:34:08 pm
While we may have to the top two teams, overall this bowl season has NOT been one the league will remember with any great fondness. The overall record has been abysmal. Not sure where we stack up in relation to other P5 conferences. I suspect thanks to today we may finish ahead of the Pac 12, however, there won't be many conferences that will have poorer overall records.

However, 1 question: Will there be any other conferences with a national championship?

I will hang up an listen. Thanks!

Gonzo

Quote from: redeye on January 01, 2018, 11:01:34 pm
Speaking of Auburn and the title game, how do you think they feel, knowing that they beat Alabama and Georgia, but lost to UCF?

How do you think UCF feels, beating the team that beat both teams in the championship game?

Go Hogs!

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

bennyl08

In terms of the OP, this post is \thread.

Expanding the topic a bit to overall conference superiority, we'll have to wait for the NFL draft. SEC is very much down right now in coaching. There's a good reason a lot of coaches were fired this season.

However, I think we will still see that talent wise, the SEC is still the top conference, and not just in a top-heavy sense. I'm talking the number of draft picks from the bottom 5 schools type of thing.

In terms of coaching, the SEC is weak right now. In terms of talent, I think we'll still be on top. In terms of facilities, everybody has basically caught up. Heck, Oregon State now has football facilities that can compete with the best of them. The difference between OrSt, Ark, Bama, FSU, Ohio St, and so on is largely negligible now.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Gonzo

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 11:35:57 pm
However, 1 question: Will there be any other conferences with a national championship?

I will hang up an listen. Thanks!

You mean like last year (Clemson)? or 3 years ago (Ohio St)? or 4 years ago (FSU, last BCS year)?

Go Hogs!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 01, 2018, 11:43:53 pm
Maybe, but it will definitely piss off some in here.

Think it already has  ;)

Some here can't accept that the SEC has the best teams in CFB.

#TrollingCFB

bennyl08

Quote from: Gonzo on January 01, 2018, 11:42:28 pm
How do you think UCF feels, beating the team that beat both teams in the championship game?

Go Hogs!

With them being undefeated, I have no problem with them claiming a national championship. They have a valid argument. Which is the problem with the 4 team playoff. It should be big enough to include all the teams that would have a genuine argument to be in the BCS national championship game. There will always be arguments about who should or should not have made the playoffs, and those arguments don't matter. What matters isn't having a claim at being a bubble team that should have gotten in over another bubble team, it's about whether you have a claim at playing for the national championship or not.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Gonzo on January 01, 2018, 11:48:08 pm

You mean like last year (Clemson)? or 3 years ago (Ohio St)? or 4 years ago (FSU, last BCS year)?

Go Hogs!

Not last year and not 3  or 4 years ago! This year! :P

(Side note: I know you are being deliberately obtuse about the best teams this year!)

Gonzo

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 01, 2018, 11:49:10 pm
With them being undefeated, I have no problem with them claiming a national championship. They have a valid argument. Which is the problem with the 4 team playoff. It should be big enough to include all the teams that would have a genuine argument to be in the BCS national championship game. There will always be arguments about who should or should not have made the playoffs, and those arguments don't matter. What matters isn't having a claim at being a bubble team that should have gotten in over another bubble team, it's about whether you have a claim at playing for the national championship or not.

My question was basically rhetorical, I don't think they would have survived a playoff. But I think we mostly agree about this. FBS football is the only NCAA sport that doesn't have an official championship and path for every team to control their own destiny. In the best scenario (IMO) FBS would have a 16 team playoff just like every other division, with each conference getting 1 automatic bid like March Madness and 6 at large selections. At the very least we should have 8 teams, each P5 gets an automatic, the best G5 gets in, and 2 at large. But they don't ask me how to do all this :)

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 11:49:21 pm
Not last year and not 3  or 4 years ago! This year! :P

(Side note: I know you are being deliberately obtuse about the best teams this year!)

I don't quite follow the obtuse part, I do think the CFP pretty much had the 4 best teams, and 2 have earned their way to next Monday.

Go Hogs!

redeye

Quote from: Gonzo on January 01, 2018, 11:42:28 pm

Go Hogs!

Yea, good point!  Some have used Auburn's loss to UCF as a sign that the SEC is down, but UCF is a great team.  Auburn is obviously a great team or it wouldn't have beaten the teams in the NCG.

I didn't realize this until now, but UCF played a tougher schedule than Oklahoma, so I'm not sure why they were left out?

edit: I was looking at the SOS rankings on the NCAA website, but apparently the SOS the CFP uses is vastly different. 

SooieGeneris

That's one of the reasons their message boards are on fire. Look at a Barner board and that subject comes up early and often.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

Absolutely it does, especially the Big 10! I have traveled up there several times and they HATE the SEC and it's mainly jealousy.

They make up imaginary straw man reasons the SEC dominates the NC over recent years like over signing in recruiting and stuff like that. Our former coach talked that crap before he came here, one of the reasons I didn't like him and didn't want him here.

Once he got here, he back tracked of course, but he never figured out the SEC in 5 years or at least how to win in the SEC. 11-29. Barry Alvarez must have had to prop him up completely.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

hogninja

OneTuskOverTheLine™

How do you think UCF feels..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Hog fans bragging about an SEC team winning the national title is like Jets fans bragging about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

GolfNut57

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 02, 2018, 03:49:29 am
How do you think UCF feels..?

Does anyone here remember who the last team was that beat UCF? It happened last year in a bowl game.  ;)

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Auburn also lost to UGA 28-7 in the SEC title game.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ICEman

These teams are piling up huge guilders in the SEC office. We will benefit monetarily.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

FaulknerHogfan

Honestly, who cares about the SEC?  We have been getting our ass kicked in this conference for years and can't compete.  Wish we would go to the big 12 so we can at least enjoy a season.

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

rljjr

Quote from: elksnort on January 01, 2018, 11:18:02 pm
really, when is the last time Arkansas has defeated a team from the Big Ten?

Basketball beat Minnesota!!! Oh, you mean football.

Bacons Rebellion

Most of the SEC being down creates an opportunity for the few top teams (only really 3 this year) to make it through the SEC schedule in good shape in the Loss column. No one really threatened Alabama this year except in their Auburn game. Same with Georgia except they had a close game with Notre Dame.

Typically, SEC Team X gets to the championship game IF:
They have 0 or 1 loss.
Don't lose the SECCG.

When the SEC is tough, top to bottom, that won't happen to two teams and it may not happen to any team and the SEC will be shut out of the playoffs.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 01, 2018, 11:32:12 pm
I wish they both could lose. Bad for the rest of the conference with both of these teams winning as far as recruiting goes.

There aren't many who sign for them that we had a shot at anyway, so I think it's negligible. Aubie losing is actually to our advantage IMO. The blow-back from the Aubie fans will scare some guys off. Not a lot but some. Doesn't mean they'll sign with us , but maybe not Aubie.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

SEC:::::::::::::::::WE"RE NOT AS GOOD AS WE ONCE WERE, BUT WHERE AS GOOD ONCE, OR TWICE, AS WE EVER WERE.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 10:41:11 pm

#TrollingCollegeFootball
. Heck Yes  Big 12 fans. are in 😢!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Michael D Huff AIA

This is a very simple problem to fix if you don't like SEC football....get the team you support to win more. 

It's as simple as that.  Go out and put together a resume that includes a decade or more of top 10 recruiting classes and 4 National Championships. 

longtimeHogfan

Once the National Championship trophy returns to the SEC nothing else will be remembered.  Except Albarn and UCF...that was a classic for all times. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 01, 2018, 11:32:12 pm

The outcome of the first round of the play offs and two SEC teams going to the NCG isn't going to alter their recruiting results as far as we are concerned. In 2017 Alabama had the #1 class, Georgia had the #3 class. 2016-Alabama #1, Georgia #6. 2015-Alabama #1, Georgia #6. 2014-Alabama #1, Georgia #8.

Hiring Kirby Smart probably helped Georgia's recruiting more than anything else but they have still landed in the top 10 in recruiting in all but two years since the 2002 class and those two classes were top 12.
Go Hogs Go!