Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 SF Dikembe Dixson (B-Ball)

Started by -Blu, December 15, 2014, 09:18:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: -Blu on April 23, 2015, 05:54:20 pm
So let me get this straight Qualls shot and handles are more similar?  LOL. 

And I guess your going to ignore that Williams and Dixson are the same height and build, very similar athleticism, and they both did the exact same thing on their highlight tapes, except JaCorey was apparently a better shooter at that point, because he actually had mid range and 3 point attempts shown in his highlights.  Chances are if they aren't shown in your highlight tape you aren't doing too much of it.

And I get it that you guys think we need a 3, so your trying to convince yourselves that guy is Dixson since he looks like he'll probably be the next commit, but he's not a 3 in this system, so much evidence against it.  I guarantee you not a single national analyst would compare Qualls and Dixson as having similar games.
Blu, the problem with your argument in comparing Dixson and JW is the fact that JW was supposed to be a 3 when we signed him, but he doesn't have that ability, and the reason he is so disliked is he can't be a 4 either. So what is he.......

intelligence

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 24, 2015, 09:08:23 am
Blu's posts are spot on. Considering mike's track record, DD would most likely end up a 4

Nope, sorry try again.

-Blu

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 24, 2015, 09:42:34 am
Blu, the problem with your argument in comparing Dixson and JW is the fact that JW was supposed to be a 3 when we signed him, but he doesn't have that ability, and the reason he is so disliked is he can't be a 4 either. So what is he.......

JW had a solid season backing up Harris at the 4 spot.  He's a 4 in our system.

And if you want to take Williams out of the argument because you don't like him for whatever reason.  Discuss Clarke, Harris, and Miles, all of whom were listed as SFs that primarily played the 4 in this system.  I don't know why you guys think all of the sudden CMA is going to change the way he does things.  He likes those 6'7ish long guys to play the 4 spot, and he'll occasionally use them at the 3 when he wants to go big.

We've had the roster to play big for the past couple of years, and he's chosen not to.  Most people where hollering for a Portis/Kingsley lineup and we rarely saw it.  Apparently from CMA's history he feels more comfortable being quicker rather than bigger, and that's not my opinion that's just going off of his previous lineups.  But, if you guys want to dream of that big lineup go for it, i'm just telling you your setting yourself up for another Portis/Kingsley disappointment.

-Blu

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 24, 2015, 09:08:23 am
Blu's posts are spot on. Considering mike's track record, DD would most likely end up a 4

I'm surprised this is even a debate, and it's not even my opinion, I'm just looking at what CMA has done in the past.  He goes quicker lineups and use combo forwards primarily at the 4 spot. And to be honest I'm all for going big lineups, I'm a Memphis grizzlies fan I like big lineups.

Also, notice, nobody wants to answer the question, why hasn't the previous guys that were rated higher and listed as SFs played the 3 spot in this system?

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 11:48:18 am
I'm surprised this is even a debate, and it's not even my opinion,

The_Iceman

Because I think Dixson compares closer to Michael Qualls and Melvin Frazier (not a Hog, but everyone projected him at the 3 if he came), than Coty Clarke, Alandise Harris, and Keaton Miles. Clarke and Harris are undersized PF's, who are strong rebounders and have solid builds. Keaton Miles doesn't have anywhere near the ball handling or quickness to play the 4 in our system.

The_Iceman

I'm surprised this is even a debate, and it's not even my opinion, I'm just looking at what CMA has done in the past.  He goes quicker lineups and use combo forwards primarily at the 4 spot. And to be honest I'm all for going big lineups, I'm a Memphis grizzlies fan I like big lineups.

Also, notice, nobody wants to answer the question, why hasn't the previous guys that were rated higher and listed as SFs played the 3 spot in this system?

He started for two years at SF for us:

http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Qualls-103389
http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Qualls-15794?Institution=12052

azhog10

It is your opinion. First, he hasn't played a second for CMA yet, nor even been in a practice so whatever position or impact you think he will have is just an opinion.

Second, you say taking at look at CMA's past. I say take a look at who we are recruiting right now, and who we lost and tell me why CMA would be using a scholarship to sign a 4? No one has answered that question yet either.

Also NBAdraft.net lists Dixson as a SF, Qualls a SF, and Clarke (one of your other comparisons) as a SF/PF. It also refrences an article calling Williams a 4. Looks like another media person believes Dixson to be much more "comparible" to Qualls than Williams/Clarke.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 24, 2015, 12:01:59 pm
He started for two years at SF for us:

http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Qualls-103389
http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Qualls-15794?Institution=12052

Qualls is not 6'7+.  Qualls is a guard, a if he makes it in the NBA he's going to be a SG.  I'm talking about long 6'7+ combo forwards.  When have those ever been used as primarily as 3 in CMA's system?  Qualls isn't big enough to be a 4.  And funny thing about that CMA even tried to put him at the 4 during his first year, just didn't work.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:11:52 pm
Qualls is not 6'7+.  Qualls is a guard, a if he makes it in the NBA he's going to be a SG.  I'm talking about long 6'7+ combo forwards.  When have those ever been used as primarily as 3 in CMA's system?  Qualls isn't big enough to be a 4.  And funny thing about that CMA even tried to put him at the 4 during his first year, just didn't work.
You act like there is some magical cut off between 6'6 and 6'7 that moves you from a 3 to a 4. His height at 6'7 hasn't been confirmed from a legit camp that measures kids with shoes on or off. He may be a legit 6'7 he may not. I've seen articles that list him at both.

Ricky Kreklow G 6'7
Kim English G 6'6
Demare Carrol G/F 6'8
Matt Lawrence (not recruited by Mike but played for him and played a lot) G 6'7

Swinesong1

I guess I'm just surprised this whole debate is going on period.  What does it matter what number you place beside the player?  A motion offense and switching on defense makes the number obsolete.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:07:05 pm
It is your opinion. First, he hasn't played a second for CMA yet, nor even been in a practice so whatever position or impact you think he will have is just an opinion.

Second, you say taking at look at CMA's past. I say take a look at who we are recruiting right now, and who we lost and tell me why CMA would be using a scholarship to sign a 4? No one has answered that question yet either.

How is that my opinion.  I watched every game.  All the 6'7 combo forwards played the 4 spot primarily, that's a fact. 

And why wouldn't we need a 4?  The current 4s on our roster are JaCorey Williams and Keaton Miles, both who are seniors.  And I don't think it's a stretch to say Miles might not work out, so we would need another guy.

Also, if you follow recruiting CMA is recruiting another guard.  Ty Outlaw is a major target of ours right now 6'6 SG/SF. 

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/tyrone-outlaw-lee-college-basketball-juco-njcaa

This guy can actually play the 3 in our system, great shooter, good ball handling, can attack the rim, and he can play either the 2 or 3.  If your looking for a Qualls replacement at the 3 he is the more likely candidate. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:14:25 pm
You act like there is some magical cut off between 6'6 and 6'7 that moves you from a 3 to a 4. His height at 6'7 hasn't been confirmed from a legit camp that measures kids with shoes on or off. He may be a legit 6'7 he may not. I've seen articles that list him at both.

I'm not convinced he is 6'7". High schools love to inflate heights. He hasn't been to any camps where they officially measure you. It is hard to compare heights in videos.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:20:10 pm
How is that my opinion.  I watched every game.  All the 6'7 combo forwards played the 4 spot primarily, that's a fact. 

And why wouldn't we need a 4?  The current 4s on our roster are JaCorey Williams and Keaton Miles, both who are seniors.  And I don't think it's a stretch to say Miles might not work out, so we would need another guy.

Also, if you follow recruiting CMA is recruiting another guard.  Ty Outlaw is a major target of ours right now 6'6 SG/SF. 

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/tyrone-outlaw-lee-college-basketball-juco-njcaa

This guy can actually play the 3 in our system, great shooter, good ball handling, can attack the rim, and he can play either the 2 or 3.  If your looking for a Qualls replacement at the 3 he is the more likely candidate.
You seriously have no idea how it's an "opinion" that Dixson will play the 4 when he hasn't even played 1 second with this team, Mike hasn't came out and said exactly what position he is wanting to bring him in for, and he has yet to suit up and play in one game. And you want to know how this is an "opinion". I seriously think banging my head against the wall is less frustrating than typing this post.

Also, Kaptia will play the 4. He was brought in to play the 4. So we have Williams, Kapita, and Keaton Miles. We really only need Williams and Kapita bc worst case, we can always run with Kingsley and the Forrest City Kid at the 4 and 5. At small spurts we went with Portis and Kingsley last year. Not saying Thompson will be ready but we have bodies.

Outlaw is a combo guard to me. He can play the 2 or the 3. I would imagine that Outlaw will be a guy who gets most of the time at the 3 and you bring Dixson in behind him to give good minutes, but not expecting the kid to be a big contributor day one. Outlaw will be needed for that, and shows the skill set to do so.

Hawg Red

F - Kingsley/Thompson
F - Williams/Miles/Kapita
F - Miles/Watkins/Dixson
G - Bell/Whitt/Hannahs
G - Beard/Durham/Whitt

I'm assuming we will have one spot unfilled, mainly because I'm not sure how close we are with Outlaw. Still expecting to get Nick King.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:14:25 pm

It's not just height. It's skill set. Terrance Feragson is 6'7 and he's most definitely a 2/3 in our system.  Great ball handling, good shooter, quick to the basket, top 10 kid.  That's the ranking you get if your 6'7 and can do all of that. 

Your not going to be ranked 219 and unranked by other services if your 6'7 and have can do all of that.  You mentioned Qualls, he was at least a top 150 recruit and his ball handling was skeptical at best.  And I'm not saying Dixson is a bad recruit, I probably been following and watching out for him longer than most on here, I like what he can do, I would like the signing.  I'm just telling you, he's going to primarily play the 4 in this system based on watching guys with similar skill sets in this system.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 12:28:28 pm
F - Kingsley/Thompson
F - Williams/Miles/Kapita
F - Miles/Watkins/Dixson
G - Bell/Whitt/Hannahs
G - Beard/Durham/Whitt

I'm assuming we will have one spot unfilled, mainly because I'm not sure how close we are with Outlaw. Still expecting to get Nick King.
I think we are looking at our options. I think King is going to happen. The next question becomes do you take Dixson and Outlaw, or do you go with either Dixson or Outlaw and bring in a big. I know we were looking at Alexander, word of possible 5th year transfers that are bigs. I think those are the avenues we are looking at right now. Could be Dixson, Outlaw, and King. Or it could be Dixson/Outlaw, King, and a big.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:23:31 pm
Also, Kaptia will play the 4. He was brought in to play the 4. So we have Williams, Kapita, and Keaton Miles.

LOL.  I see the problem here, you think CMA is going to suddenly change the way he does stuff.  Good luck with that.  You think CMA is going to play Kapita at the 4, when he didn't even play a McDonald All-American who is the definition of a stretch 4 in the NBA at the 4 spot. 

Kapita will be Kingsley's back-up at the 5, it will be just like Kingsley/Portis was.  You can quote me on that.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:28:46 pm
It's not just height. It's skill set. Terrance Feragson is 6'7 and he's most definitely a 2/3 in our system.  Great ball handling, good shooter, quick to the basket, top 10 kid.  That's the ranking you get if your 6'7 and can do all of that. 

Your not going to be ranked 219 and unranked by other services if your 6'7 and have can do all of that.  You mentioned Qualls, he was at least a top 150 recruit and his ball handling was skeptical at best.  And I'm not saying Dixson is a bad recruit, I probably been following and watching out for him longer than most on here, I like what he can do, I would like the signing.  I'm just telling you, he's going to primarily play the 4 in this system based on watching guys with similar skill sets in this system.
Terrance Ferguson could play almost any position (being a little facetious here). Lebron is more of a 2/3 than this kid. You don't have to point out guys who are OBVIOUSLY a SG and tell me he's more of a 3 than this kid. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS KID WILL EVER PLAY SHOOTING GUARD EVER IN HIS LIFE. A SF however he can play.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:32:51 pm
LOL.  I see the problem here, you think CMA is going to suddenly change the way he does stuff.  Good luck with that.  You think CMA is going to play Kapita at the 4, when he didn't even play a McDonald All-American who is the definition of a stretch 4 in the NBA at the 4 spot. 

Kapita will be Kingsley's back-up at the 5, it will be just like Kingsley/Portis was.  You can quote me on that.
I look at it like we played two 4's last year at the same time. You had a guy like Harris, who actually did play some in the post, not nearly enough, and you had Portis who actually did drift out to the wings. Are you telling me that Portis NEVER went outside the block this last season? Dude you make me laugh. I don't expect Mike to change anything. But I think you play to your best personnel and if Kapita gets healthy our best 5 offensively and defensively will be with Kingsley and Kapita on the floor. This last year our best 5 offensively was with Harris at the 4.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 08:47:00 am
Neither.

Plays for Mingo Central.

Now I'm even more confused.

There are articles stating he's from Delbarton, W.V.; others say he's from Bardstown, KY; now Mingo Central which is where? 

Dude sure gets around.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

azhog10

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on April 24, 2015, 12:35:36 pm

There are articles stating he's from Delbarton, W.V.; others say he's from Bardstown, KY; now Mingo Central which is where? 

Dude sure gets around.
I saw an article that kind of explained it. Not sure if he transferred right before a season started, or in the middle of the season. But his sister was playing at Marshall and his older brother got into some nursing school or something in W.V. so they moved and his cousin lives with them.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on April 24, 2015, 12:35:36 pm

Dude sure gets around.

Mingo Central is in Matewan, West Virginia.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:35:28 pm
I look at it like we played two 4's last year at the same time. You had a guy like Harris, who actually did play some in the post, not nearly enough, and you had Portis who actually did drift out to the wings. Are you telling me that Portis NEVER went outside the block this last season? Dude you make me laugh. I don't expect Mike to change anything. But I think you play to your best personnel and if Kapita gets healthy our best 5 offensively and defensively will be with Kingsley and Kapita on the floor. This last year our best 5 offensively was with Harris at the 4.

He NEVER played Kingsley and Portis together, because he considered each of them the 5 in this system.  Was Harris and Williams that much better than Kingsley to warrant him only 10 minutes a game exclusively backing up Portis?  I think not.  I don't know how the Kapita/Kingsley situation would be different.  I actually hope I'm wrong on that, because I want to see a big lineup, just don't think it's happening though.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:39:19 pm
He NEVER played Kingsley and Portis together, because he considered each of them the 5 in this system.  Was Harris and Williams that much better than Kingsley to warrant him only 10 minutes a game exclusively backing up Portis?  I think not.  I don't know how the Kapita/Kingsley situation would be different.  I actually hope I'm wrong on that, because I want to see a big lineup, just don't think it's happening though.
You shouldn't speak in absolutes. When you do, and there is FACTUAL proof that says otherwise you come off a little desperate.

http://ark-platform-api-prod-cdn.silverchalice.co/v3/files/54ac9d94e4b05386cae67d27

As you see, Portis and Kingsley started a game together. They played on the floor at the same time other times throughout the year as well. Moses started 4 games. Guess who he started them with? BUT THEY NEVER EVER PLAY TOGETHER.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:43:02 pm
You shouldn't speak in absolutes. When you do, and there is FACTUAL proof that says otherwise you come off a little desperate.

http://ark-platform-api-prod-cdn.silverchalice.co/v3/files/54ac9d94e4b05386cae67d27

As you see, Portis and Kingsley started a game together. They played on the floor at the same time other times throughout the year as well.

Wow you mean to tell me they started one whole game together.... well that blows up my whole argument.  Maybe Kapita and Kingsley will start one game together as well. LOL.

Like I said CMA considered Portis and Kingsley both 5s, and let me rephrase my wording from "Never" to "Rarely".  If someone had the research I'd like to see how many minutes during the entire 2 years Kingsley and Portis were on the court together, it would probably add up to less than a 40 minute game.

And I'm not desperate for anything, like I said, you were the one that started the whole debate, I'm just responding to you with what's gone on in the past, maybe you missed some games and thought guys played at other positions, I don't know. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 11:42:55 am
JW had a solid season backing up Harris at the 4 spot.  He's a 4 in our system.

And if you want to take Williams out of the argument because you don't like him for whatever reason.  Discuss Clarke, Harris, and Miles, all of whom were listed as SFs that primarily played the 4 in this system.  I don't know why you guys think all of the sudden CMA is going to change the way he does things.  He likes those 6'7ish long guys to play the 4 spot, and he'll occasionally use them at the 3 when he wants to go big.

We've had the roster to play big for the past couple of years, and he's chosen not to.  Most people where hollering for a Portis/Kingsley lineup and we rarely saw it.  Apparently from CMA's history he feels more comfortable being quicker rather than bigger, and that's not my opinion that's just going off of his previous lineups.  But, if you guys want to dream of that big lineup go for it, i'm just telling you your setting yourself up for another Portis/Kingsley disappointment.

Leave Williams in it.  He didn't have a solid season.  When the competition increased, he was not very good. 
In the 18 SEC games:
15 mpg 4 ppg 2.3 rpg .67 a .44 blks .78 stl .61 to
36% FG  42.9% FT

In the postseason:
14 mpg 1.6 ppg 2.6 rpg .8 a  .6 blks .2 stl  .8 to
36% FG 0-3 from FT line

Miles didn't play anything.  The few times he was on the court he was lost to the point Coach A nearly had a stroke a couple of times.  We don't know what Miles was playing as he didn't know.

Kingsley is nearly as lost as Miles. 

Dixson may be Miles and Williams replacement after next season although I think Kapita is the top replacement.  If he is behind them next season, we are tying up a scholarship with a player that won't be of help.  And if we take a transfer, two scholarships without immediate help.  It would be putting a big amount on the 2016 class to come through and for the program to pick back up again quickly. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:47:40 pm
Wow you mean to tell me they started one whole game together.... well that blows up my whole argument.  Maybe Kapita and Kingsley will start one game together as well. LOL.

Like I said CMA considered Portis and Kingsley both 5s, and let me rephrase my wording from "Never" to "Rarely".  If someone had the research I'd like to see how many minutes during the entire 2 years Kingsley and Portis were on the court together, it would probably add up to less than a 40 minute game.
They started 4 games together. Keep on going.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 24, 2015, 12:47:59 pm
Dixson may be Miles and Williams replacement after next season.  If he is behind them next season, we are tying up a scholarship with a player that won't be of help.  And if we take a transfer, two scholarships without immediate help.  It would be putting a big amount on the 2016 class to come through and for the program to pick back up again quickly.
This even furthermore explains why it doesn't make sense to bring him in to play the 4. Williams will probably get most of those minutes and while he has improved each year he still has a ways to go. I believe Kapit in his highlights has shown the ability to play some 4, and I think anything we get out of Miles is just a bonus. Could Dixson end up being the 2nd tallest person on the floor at times, sure. But that means we are going essentially with a 3 guard lineup or even 4 if you consider the SF position a guard. Dixson is a Wing no matter what number you want to put beside his name. He's a slasher type of player that hopefully will develop into a dependable outside shooter.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:48:50 pm
They started 4 games together. Keep on going.

Dude your just reaching now.  Nobody on here is going to say Kingsley and Portis played significant time together.  Your losing all credibility with that argument.  Kingsley was almost exclusively Portis' backup.  He only played 10 MPG.  Like I said during their entire 2 years, that time probably didn't even equate an entire 40 minute game.  Both played the 5 spot, rather you like it or not.

GoHogs1091

It is probably more like "top 3" because I don't think Dixson is being recruited anymore by Mississippi State.

They have basically already filled their class (Newman-PG, Weatherspoon-SG, Strugg-SF; I presume Strugg is going to be their backup SF to probable SF starter, Demetrius Houston).  They are waiting on JUCO, Ray Kasongo, a Center who I have seen listed at 6'10".  Apparently, Kasongo may be deciding in another week.

We should have a good chance to land Dixson over Marshall and South Carolina.  Surely, we can out-recruit Marshall, and surely we can out-recruit Frank Martin.

-Blu

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 24, 2015, 12:58:03 pm
It is probably more like "top 3" because I don't think Dixson is being recruited anymore by Mississippi State.

They have basically already filled their class (Newman-PG, Weatherspoon-SG, Strugg-SF; I presume Strugg is going to be their backup SF to probable SF starter, Demetrius Houston).  They are waiting on JUCO, Ray Kasongo, a Center who I have seen listed at 6'10".  Apparently, Kasongo may be deciding in another week.

We should have a good chance to land Dixson over Marshall and South Carolina.  Surely, we can out-recruit Marshall, and surely we can out-recruit Frank Martin.

Yea him being a Hog is the one thing everybody can agree on regardless of what position he plays.  We're currently his only visit, the biggest school recruiting him, and his twitter page is full of nothing but Hog stuff.  I'd be shocked if he didn't commit on his visit in a couple of weeks.

azhog10

Quote from: -Blu on April 24, 2015, 12:53:16 pm
Dude your just reaching now.  Nobody on here is going to say Kingsley and Portis played significant time together.  Your losing all credibility with that argument.  Kingsley was almost exclusively Portis' backup.  He only played 10 MPG.  Like I said during their entire 2 years, that time probably didn't even equate an entire 40 minute game.  Both played the 5 spot, rather you like it or not.
Did I say significant? No I did not. You said they never played together when I said they did play some time together. I proved that you weren't right, so now you are saying they didn't play significant time together.

On the whole Kingsley vs. Harris topic however. I will say this, Harris and Kingsley both have their pros and cons when you talk about playing alongside Portis. Harris and Kingsley actually averaged very close to the same about of minutes per point. Kingsley was the better rebounder, however he fouled much much more than Harris did. Kingsley turned it over more, but had more block shots per minute. Harris was a much much better free throw shooter than Kingsley was and in the amount of close games that we were in most coaches are going to go with someone who can shoot free throws. Put all this together and add the fact that in our switching defense Harris can guard multiple positions and you have the reason why he played much more significant time. Now the real argument comes to Williams. Why play Williams over Kingsley and some of that has to do with our rotations and if you start with Kingsley and Portis then you have little to no size in that second rotation. But IMO Williams saw more action than Kingsley ESPECIALLY when teams went zone due to Williams quick release on that mid range elbow shot. While I think we should have worked Kingsley in a bit more, I think playing Portis and Kingsley becomes a defensive liability and it doesn't take much time in watching film with those two on the floor to see that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:52:10 pm
This even furthermore explains why it doesn't make sense to bring him in to play the 4. Williams will probably get most of those minutes and while he has improved each year he still has a ways to go. I believe Kapit in his highlights has shown the ability to play some 4, and I think anything we get out of Miles is just a bonus. Could Dixson end up being the 2nd tallest person on the floor at times, sure. But that means we are going essentially with a 3 guard lineup or even 4 if you consider the SF position a guard. Dixson is a Wing no matter what number you want to put beside his name. He's a slasher type of player that hopefully will develop into a dependable outside shooter.

Next season, the help will be needed guarding wings/SF's.  It won't be every game of course but situational.  I thought that was where the staff was going in this late signing period.  A player athletic and versatile enough to play athletic big guards/wings/SFs and maybe bring a little offense from that area for us.  Beyond next season, sure they could transition to playing "bigger".  I do think we will see smaller, 3 G lineups next season.  Putting numbers on players in our system is more difficult because they are more blurred.  "We need a true point guard" Nah, combo guards work great in what we do.  "He is going to be a 3.  He is going to be a 4."  He is going to be where we need the help and where the other Hogs and our opponents dictate.  Both will probably be the right answer over 4 seasons.  If Dixson were brought in for the same role next season as Williams and Miles and compete with Kapita, then next season will probably be a waste for him.  Arkansas is the best program out of his choices but if it is a chance at some immediate playing time he wants, why do that?  Would be curious to hear what the staff has told him his role would be.  Are they pitching the opportunity created by Qualls leaving or come in and sit a season behind Williams and Miles and have a chance for a prominent role for 3 seasons? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 12:37:40 pm
I saw an article that kind of explained it. Not sure if he transferred right before a season started, or in the middle of the season. But his sister was playing at Marshall and his older brother got into some nursing school or something in W.V. so they moved and his cousin lives with them.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Living in Louisville I was wondering why I hadn't heard more about this kid locally.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 24, 2015, 01:05:45 pm
Next season, the help will be needed guarding wings/SF's.  It won't be every game of course but situational.  I thought that was where the staff was going in this late signing period.  A player athletic and versatile enough to play athletic big guards/wings/SFs and maybe bring a little offense from that area for us.  Beyond next season, sure they could transition to playing "bigger".  I do think we will see smaller, 3 G lineups next season.  Putting numbers on players in our system is more difficult because they are more blurred.  "We need a true point guard" Nah, combo guards work great in what we do.  "He is going to be a 3.  He is going to be a 4."  He is going to be where we need the help and where the other Hogs and our opponents dictate.  Both will probably be the right answer over 4 seasons.  If Dixson were brought in for the same role next season as Williams and Miles and compete with Kapita, then next season will probably be a waste for him.  Arkansas is the best program out of his choices but if it is a chance at some immediate playing time he wants, why do that?  Would be curious to hear what the staff has told him his role would be.  Are they pitching the opportunity created by Qualls leaving or come in and sit a season behind Williams and Miles and have a chance for a prominent role for 3 seasons?
I have said that in our system there isn't a big difference between the 3 and 4 offensively. It's a 4 out motion offense and everyone moves and flows and can be at certain spots throughout the course of even a possession. I'm speaking more to his abilities an where he "projects". We play a switching defense so again he could end up on a PG, or any position 1-4 defensively at a given time. But he's not a PF, his build and game lean more to the SF side of things and like I said if he ends up playing next year there may be times where he is the 2nd talles person on the floor. But that doesn't mean he's a "4/PF". I am looking at what we are losing and what we are recruiting. I don't think we bring in a guy like Kapita who is a short 6'8 to come in and be our backup 5. He may see time there, but I don't think that's the thought process when we offered and he signed.

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 01:01:11 pm
Did I say significant? No I did not. You said they never played together when I said they did play some time together. I proved that you weren't right, so now you are saying they didn't play significant time together.

On the whole Kingsley vs. Harris topic however. I will say this, Harris and Kingsley both have their pros and cons when you talk about playing alongside Portis. Harris and Kingsley actually averaged very close to the same about of minutes per point. Kingsley was the better rebounder, however he fouled much much more than Harris did. Kingsley turned it over more, but had more block shots per minute. Harris was a much much better free throw shooter than Kingsley was and in the amount of close games that we were in most coaches are going to go with someone who can shoot free throws. Put all this together and add the fact that in our switching defense Harris can guard multiple positions and you have the reason why he played much more significant time. Now the real argument comes to Williams. Why play Williams over Kingsley and some of that has to do with our rotations and if you start with Kingsley and Portis then you have little to no size in that second rotation. But IMO Williams saw more action than Kingsley ESPECIALLY when teams went zone due to Williams quick release on that mid range elbow shot. While I think we should have worked Kingsley in a bit more, I think playing Portis and Kingsley becomes a defensive liability and it doesn't take much time in watching film with those two on the floor to see that.

Ok man, I get it you like big lineups.  I'd like to continue this debate, but honestly, I'm getting behind on work arguing with guys about positions.  I gotta get off here and get some work done.  Hopefully Dixson signs, which looks likely, and we get to find out what he can do.  I like his game, and think he would be a steal.  You guys have a good one!  WPS!  :razorback:

TNhawgfan

April 24, 2015, 01:23:44 pm #237 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:15:22 pm by TNhawgfan
I see your point azhog about kapita probably not being brought in to be a true 5 for us. But you have to admit, if MA used Bobby all season as a 5 (and he's a sure 4 for most programs) its not unlikely it could happen again
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hawginbigd1

I think he is going to play the 3 role primarily if we get him, doesn't have the size to play the 4. Harris did, and JW was his back-up due to lack of options and other abilities. Thompson/Miles/Kingsley/Kapita/Williams will man the 4/5 mostly IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 24, 2015, 01:23:44 pm
I see your point azhog about kapita probably not being brought in to be a true 5 for us. But you have to admit, if MA used Bobby all season as a 5 (and he's a sure 4 for most programs) its not unlikely it could happen again
I view Mike using bobby at the 5 as a "what's best for the team" situation. Kingsley and Portis could play together, but it had to be very limited as both were a defensive liability when playing together. Harris was a better defender and with Harris at 6'6 Portis has to defend the other teams big. Portis is a sure 4 in the NBA, but don't act like sure 4's in the NBA didn't play the 5 in college because it happens a lot and most of the time out of necessity.

The_Iceman

Dikembe Dixson ‏@Ddixson_35

Got a 20 on the Act officially eligible for college ✊🏾

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 27, 2015, 02:48:49 pm

Good for him, and most likely for the Hogs.

One grade risk out of the way. More are needed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 02:52:56 pm
Good for him, and most likely for the Hogs.

One grade risk out of the way. More are needed.

If he knows the score of his latest ACT, shouldn't other players as well?

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 27, 2015, 02:48:49 pm

Had no clue this was even an issue.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 27, 2015, 03:03:12 pm
If he knows the score of his latest ACT, shouldn't other players as well?
Depends on when he took it, right?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 27, 2015, 03:05:27 pm
Depends on when he took it, right?
If I am recalling correctly, an extra fee can be paid to expedite the results.

-Blu

Avery Johnson jumping in on Dixson.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 18m18 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Can confirm Alabama offered 2015 G @Ddixson_35.
@coreyevans_10 previously reported

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on April 28, 2015, 01:18:44 pm

Now that he's academically eligible, let the flood doors open with offers.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

poloprince

Quote from: -Blu on April 28, 2015, 01:18:44 pm

Is Kentucky next??
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate